Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Moderator: Puja

FKAS

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by FKAS »

I suspect Gloucester were the only ones with the cap space to offer the sort of wages he was getting at Montpellier. Bit of a shame he'd rather head off back to France then spend another season working on the areas Borthwick wants him to improve to try and force his way into the squad.
twitchy

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by twitchy »

It's pretty depressing that the default now is that anyone who doesn't make the england squad is just digging out the passport.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

In Mercer's case, might his style simply suit French rugby more than English? Based ONLY on the few Gloucester games on TV that I saw this season, I'd not rate him as anything special. That does not mean much beyond suggesting that his omission by Soapy Balls is understandable.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

twitchy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 10:51 am It's pretty depressing that the default now is that anyone who doesn't make the england squad is just digging out the passport.
Agreed. It’s like blackmail. Pick me now or else.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Oakboy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:02 pm In Mercer's case, might his style simply suit French rugby more than English? Based ONLY on the few Gloucester games on TV that I saw this season, I'd not rate him as anything special. That does not mean much beyond suggesting that his omission by Soapy Balls is understandable.
Watching the early season Glos Quins game, where we got to see Mercer v Dombrandt, and they both stood out positively. But Mercer was comprehensively outplayed by Dombrandt. Not sure what the issue is for him, but I just don't think he's as good as I used to think he was.
Captainhaircut

Post by Captainhaircut »

Stom wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 7:24 am
Oakboy wrote: Sat Jun 08, 2024 1:02 pm In Mercer's case, might his style simply suit French rugby more than English? Based ONLY on the few Gloucester games on TV that I saw this season, I'd not rate him as anything special. That does not mean much beyond suggesting that his omission by Soapy Balls is understandable.
Watching the early season Glos Quins game, where we got to see Mercer v Dombrandt, and they both stood out positively. But Mercer was comprehensively outplayed by Dombrandt. Not sure what the issue is for him, but I just don't think he's as good as I used to think he was.
Isn’t the issue that the team he plays in is absolutely shit?
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Captainhaircut wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:47 am
Probably closer to the truth!
Puja

Post by Puja »

Captainhaircut wrote: Mon Jun 10, 2024 9:47 am
And the tiny arms, of course.

I think there is a truism there about the players who go to France - it is a lot easier to look quality when surrounded by other stars.

Puja
Backist Monk
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Jonny May has signed a two-year contract with Soyaux/Angoulême in ProD2.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Fraser Balmain joined Sarries for next season. Gloucester replace him with Alfie Petch from Biarritz. Good deal for Sarries, erm not so for Glaws.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:29 pm Fraser Balmain joined Sarries for next season. Gloucester replace him with Alfie Petch from Biarritz. Good deal for Sarries, erm not so for Glaws.
Was just coming here to post about Petch, but hadn't realised that Balmain had gone. That's a ridiculous signing for Saracens to have alongside Riccioni.

I think Petch could come good - he played 17 games for Biarritz last season, so he must've learned a bit - but it's a hell of a step down from Balmain.

Puja
Backist Monk
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Gloucester giving big struggling financially vibes at the moment.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Timbo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:58 pm Gloucester giving big struggling financially vibes at the moment.
they arent alone....luckily the rfu are about to bung the prem 260m over 8 years
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 8:12 pm
FKAS wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 7:29 pm Fraser Balmain joined Sarries for next season. Gloucester replace him with Alfie Petch from Biarritz. Good deal for Sarries, erm not so for Glaws.
Was just coming here to post about Petch, but hadn't realised that Balmain had gone. That's a ridiculous signing for Saracens to have alongside Riccioni.

I think Petch could come good - he played 17 games for Biarritz last season, so he must've learned a bit - but it's a hell of a step down from Balmain.

Puja
Petch only started 6 games and didn't make it past 51 minutes in any of his starts. Glaws must be backing Fasogbon to step up or needing to free up some cash for signings/re-signings elsewhere.

Sarries will lose Riccioni during international windows and having lost Judge probably needed another experience back up. Having all three of Riccioni, Hoskins and Balmain is a good combination.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

"Leicester Tigers have announced six Senior Academy players will step up to the club’s first team squad ahead of the 2024/25 season.

The group includes prop Tim Hoyt, hooker Archie Vanes, lock Tom Manz, back-rows Finn Carnduff and Emeka Ilione and centre Joseph Woodward."

Lewis Chessum misses out and stays in the development squad for another year after injury, as does Josh Manz.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Peter Hewat confirmed as Tigers attack coach and Matt Parr new head of S&C.
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Rumours of George Smith, ex Coventry lock, joining Saints. He was at Twickenham hanging out with the non playing squad in Saints clothing at the weekend.

If true then the NFL IPP obviously hasn't worked for him.

Could be a decent replacement for Moon. He is certainly a specimen.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Will Goodrick-Clarke signs for the Chiefs. Looks like they’re going to have a good scrum again next season.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Timbo wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 1:06 pm Will Goodrick-Clarke signs for the Chiefs. Looks like they’re going to have a good scrum again next season.
Only surprise was he wasn't back in the Prem sooner.
Peej

Post by Peej »

Yeah I would have thought he'd have been in high demand
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Peej wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:39 pm Yeah I would have thought he'd have been in high demand
Yeah prime age EQ LH who's reliable both at the scrum and in the loose really should have been entertaining a lot of offers. I guess his injury before the LI failing hurt his initial prospects. He'll probably do very well at Chiefs. Might even enter the England discussion.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Mako Vunipola is said to be in “advanced talks” with Vannes who’ve just won promotion to the Top14.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Dan Lancaster joins his dad at Racing after leaving Ealing.
Puja

Post by Puja »

twitchy wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2024 4:16 pm
What the actual fuck
Backist Monk