The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Cameo

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote:But there's a point where you wonder, with Hogg and Seymour there, would a good all rounder actually be pretty handy over the completely unpredictable Visser?
Isn't the thing that hogg and Seymour are good all rounders so you can afford someone who is basically just a finisher
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Also, Leicester won tonight with neither team getting a bonus. Must be good for Glasgow
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Cameo wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:But there's a point where you wonder, with Hogg and Seymour there, would a good all rounder actually be pretty handy over the completely unpredictable Visser?
Isn't the thing that hogg and Seymour are good all rounders so you can afford someone who is basically just a finisher
No they are not... Hogg's defence is piss poor.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Cameo wrote:
I was going to pretend to be Greg and start saying how Hogg is the worst defender the world has ever seen. But he got there first. In fairness his positioning for that first Munster try was atrocious.

I see what you mean about the balance of the backs, but maybe we just need some guys who can tie together the work of Russell, Bennet, Hogg. Visser seems to get over the line which is invaluable but is all over the place in many respects.
hellovating

Post by hellovating »

really appreciated glasgow and townsend's (in particular) class over the last few days. think gregor and foley were quite close. as for the game, impossible task to be the spoil sports on a day like that .... last friday was a truer reflection of the team's quality.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

hellovating wrote:really appreciated glasgow and townsend's (in particular) class over the last few days. think gregor and foley were quite close. as for the game, impossible task to be the spoil sports on a day like that .... last friday was a truer reflection of the team's quality.
Aye. How do you respond to fire like that without seeming like a c***.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Has Earls apologised yet? I see some anon troll spent all of last night trying to get a rise out of Hogg on twitter by insisting he was 'goading' Earls.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

If you watch the video on rugbydump you can hear the munstermen complaining that Brown twisted in the air and threw himself round, i presume to capatalize on the chance of a red card.

Ive long wondered how long it would be until we would hear or see evidence of this (Im not suggesting Brown did), in pro sport coaches will do anything to win but i cant imagine how mental you would have to be to actually willingly land on any part of your head
Big D

Post by Big D »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Has Earls apologised yet? I see some anon troll spent all of last night trying to get a rise out of Hogg on twitter by insisting he was 'goading' Earls.
Apologised to Hogg after the game apparently. No more needing said IMO. He let himself down, apologised and considering the situation I would consider that the end of it. Wouldn't be surprised if it is included in the red card report though.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Good to hear, because he looked an utter twat. Claiming that Brown's elbow hitting the floor first (marginally) at 45 degrees has sufficiently broken his fall, as to make it not a red, was ridiculous.

How on earth is Brown meant to know what to do while in the air to land (un)safely.
Adder

Post by Adder »

New signing for Glasgow:
Glasgow Warriors have signed New Zealand-born second-row Brian Alainu’uese from Waikato until the end of the season, subject to visa and medical.

The 22-year-old arrived in Glasgow on Saturday and started training with his new teammates at Scotstoun today.Brian Alainu’uese in action for Waikato

Alainu’uese is a product of Wesley College in Auckland, a school whose alumni include current All Black Malakai Fekitoa, Ulster’s Charles Piatau and the great Jonah Lomu to name just a few.

At 6ft 8ins and 135kg, the giant lock played six times and scored three tries in his first season for Waikato. His performances earned him a call-up to the Samoan under-20s due to his island heritage, where he played five times and scored one try.

Last season Alainu’uese made two appearances for Dave Rennie’s Chiefs in Super Rugby and this season he has started seven times in the Mitre Cup for Waikato.

Speaking to glasgowwarriors.org about his new chapter, Brian Alainu’uese said: “I’m really excited about joining Glasgow.

"I've spoken to Dave (Rennie) about the move and he told me great things about the club and it made me want to join.

“Everyone in New Zealand knows that Glasgow Warriors is a great club and there are good people here.

"I watched Corey Flynn playing when I was growing up and Jarrod Firth spent some time at the Chiefs, so it’ll be good to get to know those boys, as well as the rest of the squad.

“From what I’ve seen Glasgow like to throw the ball around and play a fast game and that’s the way I like to play too.

"I’ll give it my best over here and if an opportunity comes I’ll take it. I just want to give my all for Glasgow.”

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: “Brian has a real physical presence and has played well for Waikato in the Mitre Cup this season.

"He has the ability to play an offloading game and will help our set-piece play.

"With Greg Peterson, Scott Cummings and Tjiuee Uanivi currently injured, we’re delighted to secure the services of such a quality second-row, and we're looking forward to integrating him into our squad."
he is only 22!!!!
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Desperately needed.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

7 brothers and 7s sisters?..... I'm assuming board games and movies haven't reached NZ.

Cummings and Peterson are both out for another 5ish months, Chewy likely for less but unknown. He's needed. Bench for Friday?
The Coo is dead. Long live The Coo.
ARM

Post by ARM »

22?. Now that's a tough paper round...
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Is he Syrian?
hp18

Post by hp18 »

OptimisticJock wrote:Is he Syrian?
I resisted sending you that joke earlier.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

hp18 wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:Is he Syrian?
I resisted sending you that joke earlier.
:lol:
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Keith Earls, has been suspended for two weeks following an independent Disciplinary Hearing in London today arising from the Champions Cup win over Glasgow Warriors on Saturday.

Earls was sent off by referee, Jérôme Garcès (France), for a dangerous tackle on the Glasgow Warriors hooker Fraser Brown in the 19th minute of the match at Thomond Park in contravention of Law 10.4 (j).

Law 10.4 (j) Dangerous tackling
Under World Rugby's Sanctions for Foul Play, Law 10.4 (j), Lifting a player from the ground and either dropping or driving that player's head and/or upper body into the ground while the player's feet are off the ground, carries the following sanction entry points - Low End: 4 weeks; Mid-Range: 8 weeks; Top End: 12 to 52 weeks.

An independent Disciplinary Committee consisting of Mike Hamlin (England), Chairman, Roddy Dunlop QC (Scotland) and Andrea Caranci (Italy) heard evidence and submissions from Earls, who pleaded guilty to the offence, from Munster Rugby Team Manager, Niall O'Donovan, from Munster Rugby's legal representative, Derek Hegarty, and from the EPCR Disciplinary Officer, Liam McTiernan.

In upholding the red card decision, the Committee found that the offence was at the low end of World Rugby's sanctions and selected four weeks as the appropriate entry point.

As there were no aggravating factors, the Committee then reduced the sanction by a maximum of two weeks due to Earls' timely guilty plea, expression of remorse and clean disciplinary record before imposing a suspension of two weeks.

Earls will be free to play on Monday, 7 November. Both the player and EPCR have the right to appeal the decision.
Yeah, he was really remorseful...
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Even the BBC used quotes for the "timely" nature.

2 weeks is probably about right, it's just that he is a total tit and should have been banned longer as he acted like a total tit.
Tobylerone

Post by Tobylerone »

whatisthejava wrote:Even the BBC used quotes for the "timely" nature.

2 weeks is probably about right, it's just that he is a total tit and should have been banned longer as he acted like a total tit.
Nice pic. on the BBC rugby page of Earls in footballer mode..
Eugene Wrayburn

Post by Eugene Wrayburn »

Jesus wept. Have you watched your own team?
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person.

NS. Gone but not forgotten.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Could have used this kind of strength against Munster.

15. Stuart Hogg (89)
14. Tommy Seymour (89)
13. Mark Bennett (55)
12. Alex Dunbar (87)
11. Rory Hughes (21)
10. Finn Russell (52)
9. Henry Pyrgos (111) CO-CAPTAIN

1. Alex Allan (32)
2. Pat MacArthur (140)
3. Sila Puafisi (28)
4. Tim Swinson (82)
5. Jonny Gray (62) CO-CAPTAIN
6. Josh Strauss (95)
7. Simone Favaro (22)
8. Ryan Wilson (117)

Replacements:

16. Corey Flynn (4)
17. Djustice Sears-Duru (2)
18. D’Arcy Rae (9)
19. Brian Alainu’uese (0)
20. Langilangi Haupeakui (0)
21. Ali Price (28)
22. Pete Horne (103)
23. Lee Jones (37)
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:Jesus wept. Have you watched your own team?

Glasgow were god-awful. Nobody here is denying that. Earls is still a c*nty scumbag. What's your point?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Eugene Wrayburn wrote:Jesus wept. Have you watched your own team?
That reminds me, Eugene. We're all still eagerly awaiting your explanation on how Strauss is ineligible for Scotland.

Welcome back to the SMB.
Adder

Post by Adder »

At the same time, this shoulder tackle got 7 weeks reduced to 5 (player showing remorse :lol: )

Is this really worth 3 weeks more than Keith Earl's dump tackle?