The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

ARM

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by ARM »

Munster deserved that win - they took their chance when it came. Glasgow didn't do the same.

Not going to pretend that if I had a cat it wouldnt have been punted round the living room. Had to find a way to win that game but came up short. Frustrating.

Thought the Weeg pack put in a great shift led by the rows. The scrum was also a think of beauty - whilst never getting much of a shift on, it was rock solid. 100%.

Murray was canny in targeting Jones on the wing. Seymour is rock solid in the air (though he's had better games than last night) but Jones was found wanting a bit - lacking height and bulk rather than skillset I think. Clearly a plan to target Murray and I'll accept some of the first half tackles were borderline late. However some of the comments I've seen here and particularly elsewhere - that Glasgow were targeting the standing leg are a little overdone for me. Under the new rules you have to go low - as Hogg found out, correctly - and this may be one of the unintended outcomes.

We have a lot more to play for next week than Leicester (though no doubting their form and pride at home) and if we learn from this week, I think we can get it done.
Chunks Baws

Post by Chunks Baws »

There's some amount of whinging around rugby these days. Or has it always been like this but more obvious thanks to forums and social media? It's fucking tedious.
Edinburgh in Exile

Post by Edinburgh in Exile »

Chunks Baws wrote:There's some amount of whinging around rugby these days. Or has it always been like this but more obvious thanks to forums and social media? It's fucking tedious.
I'm pretty sure it's always been that way, you are just noticing it more because the vocal minority now has the internet for a bullhorn.

Also its worth noting that everything that is "said" on the interhighway is viewable by anyone that seeks it out. 10 years ago you wouldn't have known what "BigDaveBawsdeepinYourMaw69XxXxxLolzTopKek" has to say about World Class Phil, unless you somehow wandered into the cats mums basement, and if you did, you wouldn't listen to it.

I also have a theory that the whinging is squared by the, punching someone in the dark, nature of the internet. In the absence of the threat of actual physical violence, blokes behave like 12 year old girls... because they can. Something about having an internet "persona" whatever the fuck that is.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Why do you pick fights with 12 year old girls?

Are they not bigger than you?
Adder

Re: RE: Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Adder »

OptimisticJock wrote:Why do you pick fights with 12 year old girls?

Haha. I was about to post :" a bit off topic, but are 12 year old girls bigger than you?" when I saw your post.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

We're funny as fuck Adder.
Edinburgh in Exile

Post by Edinburgh in Exile »

Haha, Jesus Christ, you almost got me to try and defend why I could beat a 12 year old girl in a fight... I'd written out about half a post addressing things like speed, range, and a clear element of surprise, with them not expecting a mid 30's bloke to punch them.

Fuck you Baz... Fuck you.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Edinburgh in Exile wrote:

Haha, Jesus Christ, you almost got me to try and defend why I could beat a 12 year old girl in a fight... I'd written out about half a post addressing things like speed, range, and a clear element of surprise, with them not expecting a mid 30's bloke to punch them.

Fuck you Baz... Fuck you.
:lol:
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Murray is awfully good at milking penalties for offside around the breakdown but that's just him being a good player, annoying as it is.

Earls is a cunt, though.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Back on topic. Hastings close to finishing a deal with the weeg for next season.

Delighted with that one. He'll be cheaper than Clegg as well.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Just watching Toulon v Sale. 35 gone and it's 5-7 to Sale.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Bordeau is out of the running. If Toulon and Ulster could lose.. a a simple victory against leicester could do it

hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Adder wrote:Bordeau is out of the running. If Toulon and Ulster could lose.. a a simple victory against leicester could do it

That Wasps victory against Toulouse really made it difficult as well. They'd all but won the game only to go to sleep and concede a quick tap try at the death.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

My 2 cents from last night, Glasgow certainly targeted Murray and while he got a few low shots none warranted a penalty, it was a clear tactic to disrupt Murray and for the most part it worked very well. Munster can bitch and moan about this but they better get used to it because every team in the champions cup will look at that tactic and replicate it as much as possible.

Thought Munster was superb under the high ball and did seem to get the benefit of the 50/50s but at points Glasgow were very easy to defend against, Glasgow can usually change the point of contact when in that situation but decided to err on the side of safety and unfortunately it didn't come off for them, Glasgow were a wee bit sloppy in Munster 22, a habit they seem to have developed, they need to trust the pack to pick and go and stick it up their jumper rather than trying to hit the 2 or 3rd man out all the time.

Hogg is a bit unfortunate, think in the next few weeks we will see that reduced from a yellow to a penalty, nothing in it but the ref felt that there was nothing to do, as Ben Kay said on rugby tonight, we have all dropped something and stuck our foot out trying to stop it, thats what Hogg did and to be fair to him pulled out.

Final note anyone else see Jonny Gray get tackled, put the ball don stand up and go again, great bit of skill from him.

Keith Earls is a f**king scumbag, he is a dirty cheating scumbag and if I saw 3 guys punching him in on the ground I would happily sit back get a beer and enjoy the show. Sooner or later he will get cited again and his idiotic comments will come back to bite him.

It was a close game decided by a long range missed penalty and Russels unwillingness not to go for the drop goal and trust the team to defend the line out.

On a final note, looking ahead to Scotland v Ireland, the Glasgow based Scotland players now know whats coming, after next week they need to focus on not following into the same trap, also lets keep targeting Murray and Zebo because they don't like it
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

13 left, 15-12 Toulon. If Sale can just soak up this next 5...

Edit - I wonder if Munster will give Murray and Zebo the week off next week. If not, that will be 3 EC matches on the bounce then into the 6 nations. Same for a few of the Ireland team, but Murray is particularly important to them.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Bugger. 3 mins left, Toulon 5 yards out and Sale down to 14. Toulon have 2 tries so far and lead 15-12...
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Third try, game over, but 3 mins to get a bonus point...
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

That's fucked it.

So the weegies need the Chiefs to win tonight or Sarries or Bordeaux ( :lol: ) to do them a favour next week. Have I got that right?

Frustrating. That team should have been able to qualify on their own merit.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Game over. Next up Ulster.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Unbelievable 4th try. Bugger.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Crap. Just as well it's Saracen's Toulon next week.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

What's the decider for the runners up being tied on points? BP or points difference?
Adder

Post by Adder »

OptimisticJock wrote:What's the decider for the runners up being tied on points? BP or points difference?

I have found this
(c) If ranking remains unresolved and/or if clubs have not played each other previously in the pool stage, qualification/ranking will be determined as follows:
(i) the best aggregate points difference from the pool stage; or
(ii) if equal, the number of tries scored in the pool stage; or
(iii) if equal, the club with the fewest number of players suspended under Disciplinary Rules in the pool stage; or
(iv) if unresolved, by drawing lots.
http://www.epcrugby.com/europeanrugbych ... /rules.php
Adder

Post by Adder »

Glasgow on +31 (14points)
Connacht +79 (18)
Wasps +84(17)
Toulouse +64 (14)
Toulon on +27 (15)
Ulster on -26 (9 -1game)
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

I never actually looked at ulsters Pts diff, was just looking at toulon. Things aren't as bad as I thought provided they don't get the BP tonight.