The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Mikey Brown

Re: The Glasgow Beach Rugby Thread

Post by Mikey Brown »

Big D wrote:Dunbar may have a trip to the disciplinary committee.
As long as Sexton does too then fair enough.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Reckon Sectom may well see the citing team, it's getting far too much like football and for me the French refs seem to accept it more than anyone else. Is like to see situation as a ban to get it out the game.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Big D wrote:Dunbar may have a trip to the disciplinary committee.
As long as Sexton does too then fair enough.
What Dunbar did is far more serious than pretending your head hurt more than it actually did. I'm not condoning what Sexton did but the two things are not comparable.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Nah.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Mikey Brown wrote:Nah.

You do know you don't need to reply, right?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Wow, you're really odd some times. Did that really get to you?

It was dumb, deserved a yellow, but he put him down safely. That's about it. He had to fling him over like that, once he'd got that far, to make sure he didn't land on his head.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I hope we're wrong on Sexton though and he had just taken a knock. Particularly with his concussion issues it really isn't on, doing that. Laidlaw should have made sure the ref got him in the head assessment bin.

Anyway. Glasgow, right?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Murchie pens a new 1 year contract.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Cummings has signed a 3 year contract with the Weeg. Well deserved.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

"Gray has only played 3 club games this season"

That can't be correct?
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Cummings has signed a 3 year contract with the Weeg. Well deserved.
Malcolm gets two years and Grigg one. The later is a surprise as he hasn't seemed that close to the first team and is 23 now but maybe a few years sevens is what he needed. He looks pretty elusive in that format
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Mikey Brown wrote:"Gray has only played 3 club games this season"

That can't be correct?
He's played 9.

Excellentn news tying those three down.
The Coo is dead. Long live The Coo.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

RC LH prop Djustice Sears-Duru joins on a short term deal. I'm guessing there's an injury but still good to have a Canadian back in the ranks.
Chunks Baws

Post by Chunks Baws »

hp18 wrote:RC LH prop Djustice Sears-Duru joins on a short term deal. I'm guessing there's an injury but still good to have a Canadian back in the ranks.
Djustice, outstanding name. Hopefully he'll be dishing out Djustice in the scrums.........
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

switchskier wrote:
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Cummings has signed a 3 year contract with the Weeg. Well deserved.
Malcolm gets two years and Grigg one. The later is a surprise as he hasn't seemed that close to the first team and is 23 now but maybe a few years sevens is what he needed. He looks pretty elusive in that format
I'm really interested in seeing Grigg play more. To have made it through to the professional ranks in this day and age when you're as small as him... well you have to be good.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

hp18 wrote:RC LH prop Djustice Sears-Duru joins on a short term deal. I'm guessing there's an injury but still good to have a Canadian back in the ranks.
He has a lot of blydi caps for a 21 year old prop. Do Glasgow really need a short term signing at LH? I know Grant is a long term lay-off, is Allan out for longer than expected then?
hp18

Post by hp18 »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
He has a lot of blydi caps for a 21 year old prop. Do Glasgow really need a short term signing at LH? I know Grant is a long term lay-off, is Allan out for longer than expected then?
This is short term injury cover and/or a chance to see if he's another diamond in the rough. Personally think it's a bit of both. Jerry is an unknown for next season after all
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Gregor Townsend has named 18 players who were involved with Scotland over the last couple of months, in the squad to face Ulster in front of a sell-out crowd at Scotstoun tomorrow night.Jonny Gray will make his 50th appearance for the club tomorrow night

After being nominated for the RBS 6 Nations Player of the Championship award, Stuart Hogg will start at full-back.

Finn Russell has recovered from concussion to start, with club captain Jonny Gray is also fit to make his 50th appearance for the club.

Tommy Seymour and Sean Lamont start on either wing, with a centre pairing of Mark Bennett and Alex Dunbar.

Henry Pyrgos will operate at scrum-half and Russell is named at stand-off.

Gordon Reid will pack down with Fraser Brown and Sila Puafisi, while Gray makes his first appearance since the win over Racing 92 in January, pairing up with Leone Nakarawa in the engine room.

In the backrow Rob Harley, Chris Fusaro and Josh Strauss are named with Strauss having started for Scotland against France in the recent win at BT Murrayfield.

Included on the bench is hooker James Malcolm following the announcement that he has signed a two-year professional contract with the club.

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: “Last Friday’s win over Leinster was an important victory for the club following a huge effort from all the players involved.

"Ulster have produced some high quality performances this season and are a top quality team.

"I’ve always admired their attack shape and they tend to bring out some very good set-piece plays. They are also a very strong defensive side.

"We've had some tight games with them over the years and we're expecting another tough battle tomorrow.

“We were proud of how our players performed and excelled for Scotland during the RBS 6 Nations and it’s a real boost to have them back with us for the run-in.

"Training has been of high quality this week and you can see the desire of everyone to earn their place in the team."

Glasgow Warriors team to face Ulster on Friday 25 March at Scotstoun Stadium, kick-off 7.35pm, live on BBC ALBA:

15. Stuart Hogg
14. Tommy Seymour
13. Mark Bennett
12. Alex Dunbar
11. Sean Lamont
10. Finn Russell
9. Henry Pyrgos

1. Gordon Reid
2. Fraser Brown
3. Sila Puafisi
4. Jonny Gray (Captain)
5. Leone Nakarawa
6. Rob Harley
7. Chris Fusaro
8. Josh Strauss

Replacements

16. James Malcolm
17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18. Zander Fagerson
19. Tim Swinson
20. Ryan Wilson
21. Grayson Hart
22. Duncan Weir
23. Taqele Naiyaravoro

Not available due to injury: Alex Allan (concussion), Mike Blair (concussion), Kevin Bryce (shoulder), James Eddie (shoulder), Simone Favaro (ankle), Ryan Grant (arm), Peter Horne (groin), Rory Hughes (concussion), Gregor Hunter (concussion), Sam Johnson (concussion), Pat MacArthur (glut / hamstring), Peter Murchie (concussion), Fergus Scott (shoulder) and Richie Vernon (shoulder).

15-9): S Olding, C Gilroy, L Marshall, S McCloskey, R Scholes, P Jackson, R Pienaar;
(1-8): C Black, R Herring (C), R Lutton, A O'Connor, F van der Merwe, I Henderson, C Henry, N Williams;
Replacements (16-23): J Andrew, K McCall, A Warwick, R Diack, S Reidy, P Marshall, S Windsor, D Cave.
[/
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Hogg has been voted RBS 6Ns player of the year.
Pieman

Post by Pieman »

That is a very strong team he's named, i thought a few of the Scotland lads would have been rested. Still, it's a massive game so I guess I shouldn't be surprised.

Delighted for Hoggy, well deserved I reckon. I didn't realise it was decided on a public vote, makes it all the more impressive.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Top team. Prob strongest this year.

Needs must with points of some kind required in every game to the end of the season.
Croft_No.5

Post by Croft_No.5 »

What's the weather going to be like? Pitch looked awful last time out so hope it doesn't have have a negative impact.

Team is great and looking forward to watching the game.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Great team and the Ulster one looks good too. Pitch aside this could be one of the matches of the season
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Excellent team. In reference to Pieman's comments - I would imagine we'll see more of the fringe guys against Zebre x2 & Treviso. Ulster is a must win.
Tobylerone

Post by Tobylerone »

Nice Nick Williams as well, Glasgow concussion assessments likely to increase..