EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Scrumhead

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Scrumhead »

Kicking aside, Farrell had an awful game. All in all, he's not had a great tour IMO.

Apart from a couple of unusually dodgy throws, George was very good and must surely be pushing to start ahead of Hartley.

Itoje was immense all tour and confirmed why we all rate him so highly.

Sinckler, Daly, Watson, Lawes and Te'o didn't do themselves any harm at all.

The remaining players that didn't make the test side (or had a few minutes like Nowell) are pretty much in the same place as they were before the tour. I don't see Eddie caring too much.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Scrumhead wrote:Kicking aside, Farrell had an awful game. All in all, he's not had a great tour IMO.

Apart from a couple of unusually dodgy throws, George was very good and must surely be pushing to start ahead of Hartley.

The remaining players that didn't make the test side (or had a few minutes like Nowell) are pretty much in the same place as they were before the tour. I don't see Eddie caring too much.
Mako had a good tour I thought; Cole played as well as he has for a while too.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

I knew I forgot someone!
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Your basics always get shown up as being manufactured or natural when playing this sort of rugby against this standard of oppo.
Had to laugh at Geech calling him a test match animal during pre-match analysis only for Farrell to produce that performance.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:Your basics always get shown up as being manufactured or natural when playing this sort of rugby against this standard of oppo.
Had to laugh at Geech calling him a test match animal during pre-match analysis only for Farrell to produce that performance.
yet its his kicking that will mask his pathetic all round play
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Your basics always get shown up as being manufactured or natural when playing this sort of rugby against this standard of oppo.
Yep. The highlight reel will show his kicking for goal and a big hit I'm sure he put in somewhere. His first ten mins, his numerous missed tackles, the intercepted pass, the numerous looped hospital passes and his hilarious pass to Watson (after correctly seeing the chance to run. Credit where credits due) will be consigned to the editing room floor. Faz will probably pass them there himself.
Honestly, that pass to Watson. The height of my career was 1st XV at a good rugby school followed by a low standard of club rugby, where drinking prowess was more important that prowess on the pitch, but I'd have been ****ing disgusted with myself for that pass even when playing rubbish club rugby with a hangover.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Yep. The highlight reel will show his kicking for goal and a big hit I'm sure he put in somewhere. His first ten mins, his numerous missed tackles, the intercepted pass, the numerous looped hospital passes and his hilarious pass to Watson (after correctly seeing the chance to run. Credit where credits due) will be consigned to the editing room floor. Faz will probably pass them there himself.
Honestly, that pass to Watson. The height of my career was 1st XV at a good rugby school followed by a low standard of club rugby, where drinking prowess was more important that prowess on the pitch, but I'd have been ****ing disgusted with myself for that pass even when playing rubbish club rugby with a hangover.
3 turnovers, 5 missed tackles, kick on the full, interception, poor passes......cripes
skidger

Post by skidger »

Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote:
What minute was this? Just a rough idea so i will go straight to it when i watch it again. So much going on with game i kinda remember it happening but need to enjoy the full Farrell show again.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

He was dreadful. saved by his impeccable - and its fair to say, vitally important - goal kicking. The pass to Watson after taking a quick tap was shamefully bad.
Elsewhere George was good, though loses a point for a couple of crooked l/o throws.
Enjoyed Watsons performance. Daly was fine. Mako far better than last week and Itoje underlined his all round quality.
Lawes again looked good off the bench.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

skidger wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote: yet its his kicking that will mask his pathetic all round play
What minute was this? Just a rough idea so i will go straight to it when i watch it again. So much going on with game i kinda remember it happening but need to enjoy the full Farrell show again.
First half, last 10ish mins. I think. Can't remember exactly .
skidger

Post by skidger »

He looked flustered for the entire game......apart from when he was kicking for goal. When the game gets stretched or is a little wild shall we say he is often terrible.

Post by 6.5 »

Scrumhead wrote:Kicking aside, Farrell had an awful game. All in all, he's not had a great tour IMO.

Agree with that broadly. Is there potential for Hask to be a bit of a loser given others have come in and done well in his position?

Also what does this tour mean for Kruis? Came in with a huge reputation as one of the key men and was dumped after one test.

Itoje taking on more media duty and becoming more "captain like". He must be in the running to benefit if his club mate George takes the hooker jersey.

Biggest loser has to be Farrell though. Pretty poor across all three tests and Ford fired in Arg. Think he will still be the front runner for 12 but will be under pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

6.5 wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:
Also what does this tour mean for Kruis? Came in with a huge reputation as one of the key men and was dumped after one test.
Nothing really. It's a one off tour. I think most england fans already knew his strengths and weaknesses. In the same way that launch not making the tour doesn't really mean any thing now.
p/d

Post by p/d »

Not to put too much of a dampener on it but don't think George had that good a game today. 'Hooking' and throwing creeked at important moments.

Really disappointed T'eo and Nowell weren't brought on sooner. Something needed to be done to shake up our attacking threat along the back line. Fear of losing sometimes trumps desire to win
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Kruis was really good up to the 1st test. He had an off day and others stepped up. Thats the nature of these tours. He's still a quality player who will be central to the England squad next season.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I think we need to brace ourselves for the strong possibility that, far from losing his place in the team, Farrell will be captaining England at the next World Cup. I watched a Q&A with Eddie just the other day and he said; Farrell is one of the best he's ever coached ( name checked Farrell as 1 of the 4 best), Farrell would get in the AB's team and that Farrell will go down as an all time great (he also said the exact same things about Billy).
skidger

Post by skidger »

Well there is no way Farrell starts at 10 for the All Blacks so i assume Eddie means he would be there starting 12.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Farrell was poor, but some of the hyperbole here....
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

fivepointer wrote:He was dreadful. saved by his impeccable - and its fair to say, vitally important - goal kicking. The pass to Watson after taking a quick tap was shamefully bad.
Elsewhere George was good, though loses a point for a couple of crooked l/o throws.
Enjoyed Watsons performance. Daly was fine. Mako far better than last week and Itoje underlined his all round quality.
Would his kicking have been as vitally important had he not screwed up the rest? Sexton isn't exactly a poor kicker.

The main difference between Farrell and Ford, is that when Ford has a bad game and a good one, he blows hot and cold, when Farrell has a good game after a bad one, it shows that he has great mental resilience and is a true test match animal. Barnes once went on about Farrell only missing the non-important kicks in one euro game (how Farrell knew they weren't important only 10 minutes into the game, I don't know). He's one of those players who's fortunate to be judged via different standards.

Post by 6.5 »

Raggs wrote:
fivepointer wrote:He was dreadful. saved by his impeccable - and its fair to say, vitally important - goal kicking. The pass to Watson after taking a quick tap was shamefully bad.
Would his kicking have been as vitally important had he not screwed up the rest? Sexton isn't exactly a poor kicker.

The main difference between Farrell and Ford, is that when Ford has a bad game and a good one, he blows hot and cold, when Farrell has a good game after a bad one, it shows that he has great mental resilience and is a true test match animal. Barnes once went on about Farrell only missing the non-important kicks in one euro game (how Farrell knew they weren't important only 10 minutes into the game, I don't know). He's one of those players who's fortunate to be judged via different standards.
Agreed. I dont understand it as is not just one or two commentators but the press across the board. I cant recall the huge games he has had this year in the six nations or lions tour, in fact he has more often been poor bar his kicking, but he seems to be nailed on in the team and regarded as world class.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Puja

Post by Puja »

While I enjoy a bit of Farrell-bashing (and he definitely deserves it after today), wasn't it Sexton that took the quick tap and then passed to the ground behind Watson?

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
While I enjoy a bit of Farrell-bashing (and he definitely deserves it after today), wasn't it Sexton that took the quick tap and then passed to the ground behind Watson?

Puja
Nope.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
Nope.
Really? In which case, totally agreed - that was a chance butchered.

I felt very sorry for Watson today. He kept getting himself into good positions and having real opportunities to attack, only for the Lions to either fail to pass, fail at passing, or drift into his space before letting him have the ball.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mr Mwenda wrote:Farrell was poor, but some of the hyperbole here....
what do you mean? As you said, he was poor....and that's what is being said here.....
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Raggs wrote:

This. And I just don't understand it- its not like he is even a likeable bloke.