Snap General Election called

Digby

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Digby »

The Whips must know then they'd have lost the vote to force an extension to article 50. One can only hope there's a pay back for going with a plan that's straight up Idi Amin or Joseph Stalin rather than British democracy
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Meanwhile...

Robert Preston wrote:This battle between government and MPs, over how and whether we Brexit, is now massively, bloodily raging. A number 10 source told me: “If MPs pass a no confidence vote next week, then we'll stay in No10, we won't recommend any alternative government, we'll dissolve Parliament and have an election between 1-5 November -- and that means no time for legislation”. Flippin’ ‘eck.
Last edited by Which Tyler on Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote:
Banquo wrote:Seems like an odd move from Bozza- think its an open goal for a vote of no-confidence and the govt falling. Surely he's done the maths?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49493632
I THINK his maths is that his opponents desided to go with legislation first, VONC second - he's nullified his opponents' preferred option.

Hopefully her maj will have him thrown in the tower when he turns up... (obviously, she has no choice, she has to smile and do what she's told - or abdicate)

Nothing says "take back control" "regain democracy" or "Parliamentary sovereignty" quite like closing parliament and refusing democratic process.

Boris, you can fuck right off with this, we're a democracy, not a dictatorship!

#StopBrexit #StopDictators #FuckBoris (with a rusty pitchfork)

Parliamentary petition to prevent
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/269157
Do not prorogue Parliament
Parliament must not be prorogued or dissolved unless and until the Article 50 period has been sufficiently extended or the UK's intention to withdraw from the EU has been cancelled.
He'll lose a VONC after this though. Maybe that's the plan, but that was the maths I referred to.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote:Seems like an odd move from Bozza- think its an open goal for a vote of no-confidence and the govt falling. Surely he's done the maths?
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-49493632
It does seem like an obvious manouevre to unite his opposition. He could've kept stringing everyone along for much longer while Corbyn "waited for the right time", the Lib Dems waited to be more relevant, and the Meatloaf Remain Tories (I would do anything to stop No Deal...) wait for the minerals to actually back something rather than complaining.

Puja
well yes. So he's either as thick as a parrot (surely calling a GE after parliament made him go for an extension was his best hope), or has some cunning stunt to pull.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Which Tyler wrote:

Parliamentary petition to prevent
https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/269157
Do not prorogue Parliament
Parliament must not be prorogued or dissolved unless and until the Article 50 period has been sufficiently extended or the UK's intention to withdraw from the EU has been cancelled.

I don't altogether like the wording of that petition, but what the hell I've signed it. I'd much rather they didn't speak about withdrawing our intent to leave the EU without recourse to another referendum. And I'm not happy about a term as vague as a 'sufficient extension'
Digby

Post by Digby »

Which Tyler wrote:Meanwhile...

Robert Preston wrote:This battle between government and MPs, over how and whether we Brexit, is now massively, bloodily raging. A number 10 source told me: “If MPs pass a no confidence vote next week, then we'll stay in No10, we won't recommend any alternative government, we'll dissolve Parliament and have an election between 1-5 November -- and that means no time for legislation”. Flippin’ ‘eck.
Blimey. I've never been one to support riots, but if there was ever a time.

I'm starting though with a less than politely worded letter to my MP, who at least has kindly has sent me a pre-paid envelope. I think they were hoping the envelope would be used to register interest in the Tory party and even donate money, but it will go to a much better use
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:

I'm starting though with a less than politely worded letter to my MP, who at least has kindly has sent me a pre-paid envelope. I think they were hoping the envelope would be used to register interest in the Tory party and even donate money, but it will go to a much better use
Try and make it concise old boy, I know you are a creature of habit, but....
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Digby wrote: I don't altogether like the wording of that petition, but what the hell I've signed it. I'd much rather they didn't speak about withdrawing our intent to leave the EU without recourse to another referendum. And I'm not happy about a term as vague as a 'sufficient extension'
Agreed, but it's what's available.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:

Try and make it concise old boy, I know you are a creature of habit, but....
I was thinking more to make it untraceable, being concise could be just the ticket
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Second time lucky!!

I think prorogation is a dangerous and short sighted manoeuvre, and won’t try and defend it. However, for some balance read this thread:

Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Mellsblue wrote:Second time lucky!!

I think prorogation is a dangerous and short sighted manoeuvre, and won’t try and defend it. However, for some balance read this thread:

I'm not sure the politicians themselves have been wrong-footed by something that's been speculated about for several weeks; or that reaching a decision the day after your opponents do, counts as being more decisive...
That's mostly me playing devil's advocate though.

Apparently, I can't delete my post elsewhere because you replied to it, presumably you can't delete yours because I replied. D'OH!
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote:

I'm not sure the politicians themselves have been wrong-footed by something that's been speculated about for several weeks; or that reaching a decision the day after your opponents do, counts as being more decisive...

Apparently, I can't delete my post elsewhere because you replied to it, presumably you can't delete yours because I replied. D'OH!
That one, I can fix. Brb.

Puja
Backist Monk
Stom

Post by Stom »

No10 would likely call an election if there's a No Confidence motion, though.

So I see no way to avoid it...

When this is done, every MP should be sacked.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Which Tyler wrote:

if you can't take pride in a coup you're just missing out on the fun
Digby

Post by Digby »

Stom wrote:No10 would likely call an election if there's a No Confidence motion, though.

But an election for after Brexit day, so what use is that anyway?
Stom

Post by Stom »

Digby wrote:
Stom wrote:No10 would likely call an election if there's a No Confidence motion, though.

err..It will dissolve parliament meaning there can be no debates until after No Deal Brexit.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Stom wrote:
Digby wrote:

err..It will dissolve parliament meaning there can be no debates until after No Deal Brexit.
Sadly it would not, thus for instance the Preston update which WT linked above.

The only way to force through a no confidence vote is if there's an alternative government that can step forwards, else Boris very likely stays in No.10 and whilst he needs to call an election can probably call one in November. Even if Boris turns out to be wrong in his assessment we're going to lose time in the courts, and that could have the same effect as Boris is seeking anyway

So for a vote of confidence to really work we need Corbyn to do a decent and honest thing, and in 70 odd years he's yet to falter and do so
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

This.

It is quite amusing that the Remain camp have used every procedural trick in the book to get their way, yet scream when the tables are turned. I'm not defending it though, this is high stakes and dangerous poker.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Digby wrote:
Stom wrote:
Digby wrote:
Sadly it would not, thus for instance the Preston update which WT linked above.

The only way to force through a no confidence vote is if there's an alternative government that can step forwards, else Boris very likely stays in No.10 and whilst he needs to call an election can probably call one in November. Even if Boris turns out to be wrong in his assessment we're going to lose time in the courts, and that could have the same effect as Boris is seeking anyway

So for a vote of confidence to really work we need Corbyn to do a decent and honest thing, and in 70 odd years he's yet to falter and do so
Ah, ok, you misunderstood me.

So, yeah, sloppy BJ would call an election for after Brexit so as to prevent any alternative government forming.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Boris actively wants a GE doesn't he?
He wants one after halloween, so that Brexit is done and dusted (and there's no point voting for the BnP or UKIP) but as soon after, before the shit has fully hit the fan.
Fixed term parliament act means he can't just call one himself, and besides, he'd rather blame other people; so VONC is his best bet of getting it. He runs the risk that a GNU is put together, taking the timetables out of his hands; but that seems... very delicate, and even more so whilst everyone's throwing their hands up crying bloody murder, rather than sitting around and negotiating. This prodding for a VONC, and proroguing of parliament also pulls the teeth for any tactic beyond VONC.

So what would he prefer? A lost VONC (which he could very easily orchestrate is one is tabled) to force a GE, with himself in charge of the timetable; or to pull that trigger himself, trying to put together a 2/3 majoirty in parliament, with himself in charge of the timetable. I think, today, he has come down on the side of VONC - hence he's doing his best to provoke it.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote:Boris actively wants a GE doesn't he?
He wants one after halloween, so that Brexit is done and dusted (and there's no point voting for the BnP or UKIP) but as soon after, before the shit has fully hit the fan.
Fixed term parliament act means he can't just call one himself, and besides, he'd rather blame other people; so VONC is his best bet of getting it. He runs the risk that a GNU is put together, taking the timetables out of his hands; but that seems... very delicate, and even more so whilst everyone's throwing their hands up crying bloody murder, rather than sitting around and negotiating. This prodding for a VONC, and proroguing of parliament also pulls the teeth for any tactic beyond VONC.

So what would he prefer? A lost VONC (which he could very easily orchestrate is one is tabled) to force a GE, with himself in charge of the timetable; or to pull that trigger himself, trying to put together a 2/3 majoirty in parliament, with himself in charge of the timetable. I think, today, he has come down on the side of VONC - hence he's doing his best to provoke it.
Putting aside the morality of it :lol: , its a high stakes tactic. He must a- figure there is no deal that he can get through parliament (and he's right), b- the Brexit Party voters will flock to him in the event of a VONC triggered GE.

When is the earliest a GE can a- be triggered, and then b= take place?
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:

Putting aside the morality of it :lol: , its a high stakes tactic. He must a- figure there is no deal that he can get through parliament (and he's right), b- the Brexit Party voters will flock to him in the event of a VONC triggered GE.

I have in mind 17 days, that though is right at the bottom end of the lowest limit as per the electoral commission. There were calls to force a PM to give at least 30 days notice, but I don't remember anything actually happening about that, so I assume 17 days is still the earliest
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:

I have in mind 17 days, that though is right at the bottom end of the lowest limit as per the electoral commission. There were calls to force a PM to give at least 30 days notice, but I don't remember anything actually happening about that, so I assume 17 days is still the earliest
But when could the countdown start?
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote: Putting aside the morality of it :lol: , its a high stakes tactic. He must a- figure there is no deal that he can get through parliament (and he's right), b- the Brexit Party voters will flock to him in the event of a VONC triggered GE.

But when could the countdown start?
Now, though I think I might be wrong about the 17 days.

Under the FTPA when parliament naturally expires there'd be a 25 day countdown, and I think that 25 might apply even on a snap call now as I've just read you have to submit candidate names 19 (working) days before the poll, and that would be tricky if you only had 17 days as there'll be some admin lag to that 19 days, and that probably gets us to the figure of 25 days once the lag is added to the 19 days.

I don't think Boris would have an issue calling an election right now, the only thing which could stop him is Corbyn refusing to support that move, and seeing as he's spent day after day calling for an election surely enough Labour votes would be there to more than cover any Tory turkeys not voting for Christmas
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Digby wrote:Now, though I think I might be wrong about the 17 days.

Under the FTPA when parliament naturally expires there'd be a 25 day countdown, and I think that 25 might apply even on a snap call now as I've just read you have to submit candidate names 19 (working) days before the poll, and that would be tricky if you only had 17 days as there'll be some admin lag to that 19 days, and that probably gets us to the figure of 25 days once the lag is added to the 19 days.

I don't think Boris would have an issue calling an election right now, the only thing which could stop him is Corbyn refusing to support that move, and seeing as he's spent day after day calling for an election surely enough Labour votes would be there to more than cover any Tory turkeys not voting for Christmas
He wants to be able to blame someone else for the election, rather than calling it himself. If he was happy to do that, he wouldn't need to goad like this.
As for timescales, the more pertinent debate is what's the longest gap between announcement and election date. He wants an election ASAP after 31/10 - which means 07/11, can he really eke it out to 2 months?

By my reckoning, his ideal would probably be (I think I've got my dates right here):
03/09 Parliament regathers.
10/09 Queenie's speech and break for prorogation and party conferences.
09/10 Return from conferences; Call election; commons dismissed for 32 days of campaigning.
07/11 Election Day.

If nothing happens between 3rd and 10th of October, then it's too late. If a VONC happens in there; he'd have to try to take 2 months for 3 weeks worth of campaigning. Of course, the Banon playbook would say to do it anyway, and let the courts sort it - which takes time... when every week counts.