Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Which Tyler

Re: Scots Abroad VIII (or let's spot the new messiah)

Post by Which Tyler »

Article, rather than video here: https://archive.ph/2024.06.03-091816/ht ... 0-2657.161

Untold story of Finn Russell’s miracle recovery in Bahamas
Eccentric recovery plan of sun, sea and sand helped talisman to recover from torn groin in time for Premiership play-offs as Bath dream of first title since 1996

Reaching for a jackal turnover a quarter of an hour into the Champions Cup round-of-16 defeat by Exeter Chiefs at Sandy Park, Russell was cleared out, hurt badly, and limped off. Bath were coy about what happened, labelling it as “a significant injury” and quietly prayed it would not end Russell’s season — and their chances of winning the league.
They did not reveal at the time that Russell had torn his groin muscle off the bone. Nor have they yet told the tale of his recovery. “One day we’ll write a book about what Finn went through over the past few weeks,” Bath’s head of rugby, Johann van Graan, said. “What he and Rory Murray, the head of medical, went through to get him back on the pitch is no easy feat.”
ARTICLE CONTINUES...
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Hadn’t Stuart Hogg retired cos his body’s all beaten up? So what’s this I’ve just read in MidiOlympique that he may sign for Montpellier?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

It seems mostly like a cover for him being a massive twat and pissing off Townsend. Having been outed as a massive twat his media career has also dried up, so yeah there’s been talk of him playing again.

Not that it was necessarily a lie to say his body was done.

A rather odd and disappointing end to the career of a Scottish rugby legend.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

francoisfou wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:28 pm Hadn’t Stuart Hogg retired cos his body’s all beaten up? So what’s this I’ve just read in MidiOlympique that he may sign for Montpellier?
would be a match made in heaven. From everything I've heard from former players not a club I encourage anyone to join if they have an alternative
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

septic 9 wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 6:43 pm
francoisfou wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2024 5:28 pm Hadn’t Stuart Hogg retired cos his body’s all beaten up? So what’s this I’ve just read in MidiOlympique that he may sign for Montpellier?
would be a match made in heaven. From everything I've heard from former players not a club I encourage anyone to join if they have an alternative
Montpellier are also rumoured to have re-signed Mohamed Haouas, who’s recently been convicted of conjugal violence. (You may remember his red card at Murrayfield for punching). Bernard Laporte is DoR, or a similar post, and his reputation isn’t exactly squeaky clean. On Sunday week(I think) Montpellier will travel to the runner-up in ProD2 (either Grenoble or Vannes) for a place in next season’s Top14, so with a bit of luck they’ll be in ProD2 next season!
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

George Turner is about to become a Scot Abroad. He’s signed for Kobe Steelers. Does this mean he won’t be available for Scotland?

Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Mmm. No idea how the Japanese season lines up with internationals. It would be a shame for him to effectively call time on Scotland at 31 (I think) but I can imagine him thinking he's had a few head knocks and this is his last chance at a payout. Maybe it is some sort of covert operation to bring Rennie and Blair back.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Yeah, shame given he broke through late (I remember him being very frustrated at his lack of chances just before his big breakthrough).
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 6:45 am Yeah, shame given he broke through late (I remember him being very frustrated at his lack of chances just before his big breakthrough).
no wonder he was frustrated!
By age 23 12 games I think one start, just one. Surplus to edin requirements and loaned to London Scottish. Someone at SRU or Glasgow knows there is a player in there, a very good one.
So Turner comes to Glasgow, and despite competing with Fraser Brown becomes a first pick for Glasgow and Scotland.
What is it with Edinburgh?
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Ewan Johnson, who plays 2nd row for Oyonnax (sadly relegated to proD2) has been picked for this summer's tour to the USA, Uruguay and Chile.
His team mate, Rory Sutherland has also been selected.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Do you know if Sutherland has been getting (m)any starts?
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Mikey Brown wrote: Wed Jun 12, 2024 10:25 pm Do you know if Sutherland has been getting (m)any starts?
5 starts in 18 games this season.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Thanks. Sounds as if he's firmly second choice, which is a shame, but I've come to accept most decent Scottish front rows can only keep it up for a season or two.

I can't say I was aware of Ewan Johnson at all.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 9:29 am Thanks. Sounds as if he's firmly second choice, which is a shame, but I've come to accept most decent Scottish front rows can only keep it up for a season or two.

I can't say I was aware of Ewan Johnson at all.
IIRC Sutherland is behind the club captain at Oynaxx

I remember Johnson from the U20s. Big lad who looked promising who went into the Racing academy. He'll need to be good to get ahead of Max Williamson
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Hurricanes came top of the league but lost to the Chiefs in the semi finals (came back from a bad start but couldn't do quite enough). Promising first season for Laidlaw but big test next year to see how he can evolve.

In terms of style, they were pretty expansive and backed their hands in close quarters a lot. Generally worked but did leave to a fair few errors. Equally, their aggressive defence got them plenty of points (helped by a very good, and very physical backrow).
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Cameo wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:36 am Hurricanes came top of the league but lost to the Chiefs in the semi finals (came back from a bad start but couldn't do quite enough). Promising first season for Laidlaw but big test next year to see how he can evolve.

In terms of style, they were pretty expansive and backed their hands in close quarters a lot. Generally worked but did leave to a fair few errors. Equally, their aggressive defence got them plenty of points (helped by a very good, and very physical backrow).
I’ve seen no Super Rugby this season. Do you think he’s good enough to be Scotland Head Coach when Townsend eventually leaves/gets the boot?
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

Blair Kinghorn is an almost ever-present in the Toulouse starting XV and will be on the wing in tomorrow evening's first semi final against La Rochelle in Bordeaux.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

BaldiePete wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 9:16 am
Cameo wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2024 6:36 am Hurricanes came top of the league but lost to the Chiefs in the semi finals (came back from a bad start but couldn't do quite enough). Promising first season for Laidlaw but big test next year to see how he can evolve.

I’ve seen no Super Rugby this season. Do you think he’s good enough to be Scotland Head Coach when Townsend eventually leaves/gets the boot?
I think it's too early to say. He has had one good season as a head coach in 15s, and even then they lost in their first tough play off game. It was very promising, but international rugby is about planning for a small number of big games where the opposition have analysed everything about you. I think he needs more time (and we need more evidence) to see how he can do that.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Kinghorn scores a try in a 39-23 semi-final win in which both the La Rochelle starting props got red cards in the 2nd half.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Scottish born Chrisite won the super rugby title today.