Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Moderator: Puja

FKAS

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 2:06 pm Spotted this in an article about something else:
Mike Catt to depart

Farrell will be searching for his next attack coach, however, with the IRFU also confirming that Mike Catt will be departing his role midway through 2024.

Catt will continue for the remainder of this season, which takes in the Six Nations and the tour to South Africa, but will leave for pastures new after that.

According to reports earlier in the year, the 52-year-old is relocating his family to England.
Probably not to the national team given we've just picked FJones, but there's a few Prem clubs that could use him, Leicester not least amongst them.

Puja
Given our attack coach is MIA, when can we start.
Which Tyler

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by Which Tyler »

If we hadn't just picked up Blackett, I'd love him to come back home (which makes him very rare in terms of being ex-Bath player turned coach).

I'd take him for England as well TBH, given that FJones looks like he's getting a roving brief, rather than specific
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

England have Wigglesworth enjoying a bit of a roving brief as well with his skills remit. How many assistants coaches do we need?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Another two should do it. One to try and work out what The Wiggler did whilst in camp and one to undertake the work Wiggy should’ve done whilst in camp.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

The Daily Heil are reporting that Wiese turned down Stade Francais seemingly to stay at Tigers but then a deal from an unnamed Japan club came in offering to increase his salary by 50% and it's not like he's not signed an improved deal at Tigers or anything like that either. Sounds like a pretty hefty deal on the table for less rugby prolonging his career.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Youngs signing a 1 year contract extension for next year with Leicester. Good business that - I don't want him for England, but he's still a very good Premiership player and a good influence on the young players coming through.

Apparently, we're supposed to be "announcing further major re-signings in the next fortnight." Hopefully more good news.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:13 pm Youngs signing a 1 year contract extension for next year with Leicester. Good business that - I don't want him for England, but he's still a very good Premiership player and a good influence on the young players coming through.

Apparently, we're supposed to be "announcing further major re-signings in the next fortnight." Hopefully more good news.

Puja
It would be nice to secure some of our bright young talents to longer contracts. Overall the squad is in a pretty good place. Upgrade Cronin at loosehead, maybe add a winger in place of Brown and find a replacement for Weise and we are about set for next season if there's not anymore headline leavers.
Puja

Post by Puja »

FKAS wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:17 pm
Puja wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 7:13 pm Youngs signing a 1 year contract extension for next year with Leicester. Good business that - I don't want him for England, but he's still a very good Premiership player and a good influence on the young players coming through.

Puja
It would be nice to secure some of our bright young talents to longer contracts. Overall the squad is in a pretty good place. Upgrade Cronin at loosehead, maybe add a winger in place of Brown and find a replacement for Weise and we are about set for next season if there's not anymore headline leavers.
Announced today - George Martin signs a "multi-year contract". Excellent Christmas present!

ETA. And Heyes signs a "long term deal". Less excited about that one than I am Martin, but he's still a useful home-grown player and still has the chance to kick on in future.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 10:05 am
FKAS wrote: Wed Dec 20, 2023 9:17 pm

Puja
Announced today - George Martin signs a "multi-year contract". Excellent Christmas present!

ETA. And Heyes signs a "long term deal". Less excited about that one than I am Martin, but he's still a useful home-grown player and still has the chance to kick on in future.

Puja
There will be a glut of long term deals being signed given the portents for 25/26
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

George Martin staying is a big boost. Quality player.

Happy we've secured Heyes as well. He's a good club level tighthead at present. He could play another 10 years as well. I'm still waiting for him to kick on again but at the moment he's a reliable tighthead in all areas which considering some of the average journeymen we went through as back ups to Cole is a step up. I've been impressed by how steady Hurd has looked as well. Good young tightheads in behind Cole.
Captainhaircut

Post by Captainhaircut »

Do we think Martin got one of the 25 hybrid contracts? I would hope so…
Puja

Post by Puja »

Captainhaircut wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:29 am Do we think Martin got one of the 25 hybrid contracts? I would hope so…
Odd one really - I have faith that he's going to be great, but he is a young player just on the start of an international career and, however promising, those sometimes can fall away (cf. Paul Hill, who was supposed to be England's first choice tighthead for the last 6 years). Is it a sensible idea for England to be giving him a contract for 2+ years (hopefully with the emphasis on the plus), when he's not properly ensconced in the lineup and could fall away in years to come?

That's the one thing I don't like about central contracts - anything long term runs the risk of getting a white elephant who never quite made it. Not that I think there's any danger of that happening to Martin, mind.
FKAS wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 11:20 am I've been impressed by how steady Hurd has looked as well. Good young tightheads in behind Cole.
Agreed. He's been a real bonus this season with how strong he's become in the scrum. Hopefully will push Heyes forward with competition.

Puja
Backist Monk
Captainhaircut

Post by Captainhaircut »

The challenge with the 25 contracts is really you’re locking yourself down to those 25 being in the 35 man squads for six nations, tours and autumn.

I’d hope Martin is a banker for those squads for a while given the lack of tight locks we have.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

I presumed the RFU hybrid contracts would be on one year rolling deals. Drop out of the squad and the RFU contract top up disappears. Keeps competition very high.

Martin hit the ground running Vs Stade. I'd be surprised if he wasn't in the 6N squad.
Puja

Post by Puja »

James Stokes has found a new place to play after London Irish - he's just turned up on the roster for the new LA franchise in America.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Good news for Stokes.

Rumours are that Pollard and Montoya are amongst the next set of Tigers to be announced as having new deals.

Tom Hendrickson confirmed as moving to Japan immediately. Bit of a loss to the Chiefs squad but not massive.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

That’s an interesting one with Hastings, Barton and Carerras. I know Carerras is generally first choice 15, but with Hastings just back from injury that’s odd timing.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Apparently Hastings might be off back to Glasgow though, which I guess would make sense.

It’s also quite funny having all the prominent Atkinsons in one team.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Atkinson's place kicking has been pretty dodgy at Tigers and after his opening day horror show Vs Bristol he'd fallen down the pecking order. Shame as he's definitely got potential but Tigers have Pollard, Shillcock and Keiran Wilkinson on the books plus some other youngsters in the development squad.

There's some suggestion on the Tigers confirmation of the release that the club wanted to free up some cap space. Might be to retain Mike Brown a bit longer or acquire some better scrum half, hooker or loosehead back up as we've got injuries in those departments.
Puja

Post by Puja »

fivepointer wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 10:44 am
Really disappointed from a Leicester perspective, as he's such a good player and has such a bright future, so it feels like a horrifying waste to let him go. However, from an England and general rugby fan perspective, he didn't appear to have settled at all at Leicester and wasn't showing anything like the quality that he had at Wasps. He played anonymously at best (and like a drain at worst) in his 25 appearances for Leicester and there was no question that he was behind Pollard and Shillcock on form.

He's a quality player and a fresh start will do him the world of good, especially in an attacking team like Glaws. With Carreras comfortable (and possibly better) at 15, I see him being their first choice 10 in fairly quick succession - he's got the capability to push ahead of Barton and Hastings. Good luck to him and I hope he makes us regret letting him go.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

He's also a similar player to Carreras as well in that he can play 10 and 15 so he adds to the Glaws preference of being able to play playmakers at both 10 and 15.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

Puja wrote: Sun Dec 24, 2023 1:18 pm
Really disappointed from a Leicester perspective, as he's such a good player and has such a bright future, so it feels like a horrifying waste to let him go. However, from an England and general rugby fan perspective, he didn't appear to have settled at all at Leicester and wasn't showing anything like the quality that he had at Wasps. He played anonymously at best (and like a drain at worst) in his 25 appearances for Leicester and there was no question that he was behind Pollard and Shillcock on form.

He's a quality player and a fresh start will do him the world of good, especially in an attacking team like Glaws. With Carreras comfortable (and possibly better) at 15, I see him being their first choice 10 in fairly quick succession - he's got the capability to push ahead of Barton and Hastings. Good luck to him and I hope he makes us regret letting him go.

Puja
Glad to see you post such a fair summary of his time at Tigers Puja. I feared the worst when he went to Tigers with Pollard arriving, and so it’s panned out with Shillcock also incoming and doing well. Of all the players at Wasps that were available, it was Willis x2 and Atkinson who were the obvious must-gets. He was really starting to purr just prior to Wasps’ collapse. He had a really bad injury and was forced back too soon initially, but thankfully kept gaining fitness, to the point where he looked nailed on for a future Eng career (imo at least).

Big setback for him at Tigers, up to him now. A move was the obvious choice, fingers crossed he can do himself justice from here.
On a separate note, it’s quite galling/depressing seeing so many Wasps youngsters stepping up towards a bright future, Opuku-Fordjour being the latest.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Beasties wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:35 am

Puja
Glad to see you post such a fair summary of his time at Tigers Puja. I feared the worst when he went to Tigers with Pollard arriving, and so it’s panned out with Shillcock also incoming and doing well. Of all the players at Wasps that were available, it was Willis x2 and Atkinson who were the obvious must-gets. He was really starting to purr just prior to Wasps’ collapse. He had a really bad injury and was forced back too soon initially, but thankfully kept gaining fitness, to the point where he looked nailed on for a future Eng career (imo at least).

Big setback for him at Tigers, up to him now. A move was the obvious choice, fingers crossed he can do himself justice from here.
On a separate note, it’s quite galling/depressing seeing so many Wasps youngsters stepping up towards a bright future, Opuku-Fordjour being the latest.
Young English talent development derail shock :)
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 10:25 am
Beasties wrote: Thu Dec 28, 2023 8:35 am

Puja

Young English talent development derail shock :)
You say that but Mike Brown has being getting plenty of game ti… ah, wait…