Snap General Election called

Banquo

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:Yeah, surely if there are Brexiteers on the left and Corbyn wants to offer a referendum with a better deal than Johnson it's a sensible move?
Not when they’ve been fed lies by the Mail for a decade.
So brexiteers on the left buy the Daily Mail :D
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

LOL. I can't speak for Stom but I'm not sure that's what he meant.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Banquo wrote:
Stom wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:Yeah, surely if there are Brexiteers on the left and Corbyn wants to offer a referendum with a better deal than Johnson it's a sensible move?
I'd imagine Brexiteers on the left are in then 10s or at most 100s of thousands. The majority of Brexiteers are neither right nor left, I'd suggest.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote:LOL. I can't speak for Stom but I'm not sure that's what he meant.
I know, I was joking!
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Well now that seems obvious. Paying attention to the news is melting my brain. I don’t know who or what to believe.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Stom wrote:
I'd imagine Brexiteers on the left are in then 10s or at most 100s of thousands. The majority of Brexiteers are neither right nor left, I'd suggest.
I was joking but your reply to Mikes post implied the the Brexiteer left had bought lies fed to them by the DM.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Banquo wrote:
Stom wrote:
Banquo wrote: So brexiteers on the left buy the Daily Mail :D
I was joking but your reply to Mikes post implied the the Brexiteer left had bought lies fed to them by the DM.
Yeah, humour is hard to see in this climate... sigh.
Stom

Post by Stom »

BTW, in support of Labour's plans to reduce the working week...

https://www.businessinsider.com/microso ... ?r=US&IR=T
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote:BTW, in support of Labour's plans to reduce the working week...

Would love to see how it would work in schools, or healthcare.....
Stom

Post by Stom »

Banquo wrote:

I think that’s why they plan to phase it in...

Or I hope so.

Would need to make those roles more appealing, which would mean higher wages.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Or I hope so.

I'd love to know how you fund less working hours (32 hours is the proposal- is that also the 4 day week thing?) either of those, even assuming you need to cost in higher wages, from productivity....which is the proposal.

We do need to look at this anyway, but promising it with no increase in cost, especially in the public sector seems 'optimistic'.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Stom wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Or I hope so.

Japan’s work culture is very different to ours. Also, working hard with the incentive of a four day week becoming permanent, is different to the incentive when a four day week is just the norm.
As Banquo points out, in public facing industries where cutting the service you provide to a four day week is an impossibility it would soon get very expensive, either to hire extra staff or pay people to stick to five day week. I believe someone has already done the sums for the NHS and it’s tens of billions a year. However, I’d imagine schools would just go to a four day week. This would probably include slightly longer days, which would suit working parents.
If it can be made to work then great, but I’m sceptical.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Stom wrote:
Banquo wrote: Would love to see how it would work in schools, or healthcare.....

Or I hope so.

Japan’s work culture is very different to ours. Also, working hard with the incentive of a four day week becoming permanent, is different to the incentive when a four day week is just the norm.
As Banquo points out, in public facing industries where cutting the service you provide to a four day week is an impossibility it would soon get very expensive, either to hire extra staff or pay people to stick to five day week. I believe someone has already done the sums for the NHS and it’s tens of billions a year. However, I’d imagine schools would just go to a four day week. This would probably include slightly longer days, which would suit working parents.
last thing kids need is longer days at school tbh, and 4 day school week with 5 day a week working parents is a bit of a child care mare. I've had a look at the manifesto and no thought is present about how all this might work, save being funded through productivity and no loss of earnings. Its a lovely idea at this point.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Stom wrote:

Or I hope so.

last thing kids need is longer days at school tbh, and 4 day school week with 5 day a week working parents is a bit of a child care mare. I've had a look at the manifesto and no thought is present about how all this might work, save being funded through productivity and no loss of earnings. Its a lovely idea at this point.
I meant a four day working and four day school week. Sync parents’ and kids’ work and school days and hours a bit more. Yeah, I can see the issues of a longer school day for the youngsters but if I can do a 9-5 school day from age 12 then so can today’s snowflakes ;) It might also force a bit more sport into the school day if the kids are too young for that length of time in the classroom. I won’t try and pretend I know anything about education, though. I struggle to get to the end of the week with my own kids without forgetting at least one piece of homework or an extra curricular activity, let alone worrying about anyone else’s. Tbh, was just trying to find something in the policy beyond ‘have your cake and eat it’.
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Personally I would always have leapt at the chance of a 4 day week, even if it meant 4/5ths pay.

It would be great for school kids too, they're worked too bloody hard as it is (not expecting that to change any time soon though).

It's at nice target to aim at, but it'll take some working out.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Sandydragon wrote: Probably. Corbyn was launching that yesterday and apparently has documents to prove it. If true (and frankly who knows) it could be a real argument for Corbyn to deploy.
Sounds like Corbyn is overplaying what he has, and too it sounds like they're going to go with more of a Eurosceptic theme as they're worried about Labour leave voters, how many of those they can add without losing remainers to the Lib Dems I don't know, possibly a fair way given the Lid Dems have gone for a full on socks and sandals approach.
Libdems now muttering about a second referendum.....

On the Corbyn 'big reveal'....depends how you want to interpret trade talks I suppose.
I had to laugh when they got Tarzan up in front of their lectern and he straight away called their policy of not having a 2nd referendum daft
Stom

Post by Stom »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:Personally I would always have leapt at the chance of a 4 day week, even if it meant 4/5ths pay.

It would be great for school kids too, they're worked too bloody hard as it is (not expecting that to change any time soon though).

It's at nice target to aim at, but it'll take some working out.
I think that's part of it, though. Labour are pretty much saying that we've been stagnating, merely letting the rich get richer, and not using advances to advance society as a whole and we want to change that.

Only problem...

They're not actively saying it, ffs!

Seriously, the people running the comms and marketing for left and centrist political parties are useless.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

There is fake news left, right and centre - even the sandal wearing, holier than thou, serial do gooders the Lib Dem’s are at it now - but I can finally bring you some impartial analysis none of us can argue with:

cashead

Post by cashead »

Oh my god.
I'm a god
How can you kill a god?
Shame on you, sweet Nerevar
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:There is fake news left, right and centre - even the sandal wearing, holier than thou, serial do gooders the Lib Dem’s are at it now - but I can finally bring you some impartial analysis none of us can argue with:

I for one don't like the use of UK as a plural noun
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Stom wrote:

Or I hope so.

I haven't looked at the manifesto, but surely the simplest implementation is to give employees the right by law to work 4 days a week if they wish. That's how it works here in the Netherlands and many do work just 4 days per week (often 4 x 9 hrs), especially if they have kids.

https://www.eurofound.europa.eu/observa ... lexibility

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Mellsblue wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
Borrowing costs historic low.
Until they’re not.
Markets tend not to like lending to heavily indebted govts with a history of renationalising sectors. Even if Labour do keep the international markets on side, it only takes a crisis not of your making to send all your plans up in smoke. Ask Brown. He’d ended boom and bust until he hadn’t.
Borrowing costs are low because there has been a huge decrease in the supply of sovereign debt assets in the market due to all the quantitative easing. The bank of England owns about 25% of government debt so the gov is not as in debt as is generally made out.

The GFC was not caused by Brown, it was born in the US by badly rated mortgage derivatives and the housing bubble popping. It was not caused by too much borrowing here. That's a brainless narrative that only someone who is regurgitating Tory lies would push.

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Zhivago wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Zhivago wrote:
Borrowing costs historic low.
Until they’re not.
Markets tend not to like lending to heavily indebted govts with a history of renationalising sectors. Even if Labour do keep the international markets on side, it only takes a crisis not of your making to send all your plans up in smoke. Ask Brown. He’d ended boom and bust until he hadn’t.
Borrowing costs are low because there has been a huge decrease in the supply of sovereign debt assets in the market due to all the quantitative easing. The bank of England owns about 25% of government debt so the gov is not as in debt as is generally made out.

The GFC was not caused by Brown, it was born in the US by badly rated mortgage derivatives and the housing bubble popping. It was not caused by too much borrowing here. That's a brainless narrative that only someone who is regurgitating Tory lies would push.
I know why borrowing costs are low. I also know, given the history of the world economy, that it is highly unlikely it will always be that way.

Where did I say it was Brown's fault? I literally said "it only takes a crisis not of your own making" and then used the 'credit crunch' as an example of it under mining Brown's economic plan through no fault of his own.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

"The Conservative Party is threatening to review Channel 4’s public service broadcasting obligations after the broadcaster replaced Boris Johnson with an ice sculpture at Thursday night’s election debate.

In a dramatic escalation of the war of words between the Tories and Channel 4 that will likely provoke outcry, a Conservative source told BuzzFeed News that if they win the coming election they will reassess the channel’s public service broadcasting licence."

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexwickham/bo ... channel-4s
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: Japan’s work culture is very different to ours. Also, working hard with the incentive of a four day week becoming permanent, is different to the incentive when a four day week is just the norm.
I meant a four day working and four day school week. Sync parents’ and kids’ work and school days and hours a bit more. Yeah, I can see the issues of a longer school day for the youngsters but if I can do a 9-5 school day from age 12 then so can today’s snowflakes ;) It might also force a bit more sport into the school day if the kids are too young for that length of time in the classroom. I won’t try and pretend I know anything about education, though. I struggle to get to the end of the week with my own kids without forgetting at least one piece of homework or an extra curricular activity, let alone worrying about anyone else’s. Tbh, was just trying to find something in the policy beyond ‘have your cake and eat it’.
It’s a nice idea as I said and that seems the consensus. But the detail matters, and there is none.