EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Mikey Brown

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Mikey Brown »

Digby wrote:Welcome indeed, pfft.

I read the Torygraph earlier, well I read the rugby bits in the sport section, and other than a big spread telling us Sale are on the up as they beat LI and Glaws there was also an article from Austin that essentially stipulates Eddie must pick Slade at 13. The article on Sale simply ignored the Sarries result in the Sale games so far, or I was so bored I missed such comment, which Austin doesn't do when it comes to the balance Slade brings in power and pace, rather Austin glosses over that part and says Slade is faster than one might think, fast enough to beat the first defender, and that he's a tough bugger and stronger than one might think. Austin also notes having Slade at 13 would change the demands on the back row and back three, but doesn't say what he'd do about that.
Does he mention who he'd have at 12 in that scenario? As that changes things pretty massively. I'm not all that keen on Slade at 13, particularly outside Farrell, but to play a second distributor/split-field role alongside a runner like Teo might work.

Austin is genuinely in love with Farrell and may well see him as the best 10 in the world though, so he's probably got him at 10.
Last edited by Mikey Brown on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:Also on the back of Salde.......
Is this Exeter's new Spanish signing?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:Also on the back of Salde having broken his leg and worked his way back to form. Indeed being the form English player according to one person with a rug sewn onto his head.
odd
The view on Slade, or his living in denial that he's bald?
odds then :)
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mikey Brown wrote:

I read the Torygraph earlier, well I read the rugby bits in the sport section, and other than a big spread telling us Sale are on the up as they beat LI and Glaws there was also an article from Austin that essentially stipulates Eddie must pick Slade at 13. The article on Sale simply ignored the Sarries result in the Sale games so far, or I was so bored I missed such comment, which Austin doesn't do when it comes to the balance Slade brings in power and pace, rather Austin glosses over that part and says Slade is faster than one might think, fast enough to beat the first defender, and that he's a tough bugger and stronger than one might think. Austin also notes having Slade at 13 would change the demands on the back row and back three, but doesn't say what he'd do about that.
Does he mention who he'd have at 12 in that scenario? As that changes things pretty massively. I'm not all that keen on Slade at 13, particularly outside Farrell, but to play a second distributor/split-field role alongside a runner like Teo might work.

Austin is genuinely in love with Farrell and may well see him as the best 10 in the world though, so he's probably got him at 10.
He does comment people mayn't have thought Eddie picking Ford and Farrell would be a success, or something along those lines, so I inferred he envisaged Slade being picked outside F&F
Last edited by Digby on Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:Also on the back of Salde.......
Is this Exeter's new Spanish signing?
He's getting close to sounding like a popstar, come here to read all about it
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Digby wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:

He does comment people mayn't have thought Eddie picking Ford and Farrell would be a success, or something along those lines, so I inferred he envisaged Slade being picked outside F&F
Great stuff. Maybe we can and use him in a Tuilagi type capacity and then dump him when it doesn't work.

I look forward to watching Farrell repeatedly miss touch whilst he is now only the 4th best line-kicker in the side.

(Not totally sure why I'm saying this as if Healey is in charge of selecting the teams)
Digby

Post by Digby »

Indeed. And Te'o and Slade perhaps makes more sense.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Good interview with rob baxter here in which he mentions slade briefly.

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/domesti ... pes-elite/
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

I'd be perfectly happy to try Ford - Farrell - Slade

Not a lot of bosh or pace but you'd hope a back three of May - Watson - Daly/Nowell would see plenty of the ball.

There's a lot of talent there, whether it represents the right balance is another matter
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

They'd see plenty of ball, but would it be ball they'd want? Strikes me you'd end up with what Wade was dealing with in the last Wasps games, 2 defenders already on him, because no one else concerned the defence seriously enough.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Aye. Farrell just doesn't close that gap between the attack and the gainline quickly/often enough so you'd need to commit someone to doing that job. If you could get Daly/May/Nowell running effectively off Ford that might do the job, but I wouldn't see it as the best of them.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Raggs wrote:They'd see plenty of ball, but would it be ball they'd want? Strikes me you'd end up with what Wade was dealing with in the last Wasps games, 2 defenders already on him, because no one else concerned the defence seriously enough.
exactly; they'd end up with at least two defenders drifting on to them. Two distributors outside a distributing 10 isn't exactly great for the back three.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

So we complain that JJ isn't able to strut his stuff because those inside them don't hold the defence; and the solution is to remove JJ, and replace him with a 3rd midfielder who doesn't hold the defence?

Why not think about playing someone in the midifeld who does interest defences instead?
Last edited by Which Tyler on Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote:So we Colin that JJ isn't able to strut his stuff because those inside them don't hold the defence; and the solution is to remove JJ, and replace him with a 3rd midfielder who doesn't hold the defence?

Why not think about playing some in the midifeld who does interest defences instead?
Genius. Wish I'd thought of that. I'd like to think Eddie has.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

It's gotta be worth a shot right?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote:It's gotta be worth a shot right?
ya'd think!!
Stom

Post by Stom »

Great. Now no Clifford :(
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Stom wrote:This is what I love about rugby instead of football.

Pundits spout crap in both sports, but football fans lap it up, while rugby fans can see the flaws immediately :)

I may read the Guardian, but god, is their rugby coverage absolutely terrible. I'm not paying for the Torygraph so I can read Charlie Morgan's article's only. The Times is owned by Murdoch, and MailOnline is a disaster zone.

What's the Indie's rugby coverage like?
It's just that sports 'journalism' is essentially writing about nothing - i reckon any bugger could do it. It just seems you need connections from having played, i guess.

That python sketch where the footballer answer's every stupid, eddie butler-esque question with the answer 'i hit the ball first time and it ended up in the back of the net' or 'i'm opening a boutique' basically works for any sporting interview.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Danny Care from the sublime to the ridiculous.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

He's mostly been very good though. If Jones is going to insist on only picking 2 scrumhalves, it's hard to argue for anyone else when considering experience as well.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Raggs wrote:He's mostly been very good though. If Jones is going to insist on only picking 2 scrumhalves, it's hard to argue for anyone else when considering experience as well.
.....the challenge being, how do you gain experience......

Care has a ton of talent, but very prone to shooting himself and team in foot.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Raggs wrote:He's mostly been very good though. If Jones is going to insist on only picking 2 scrumhalves, it's hard to argue for anyone else when considering experience as well.

Highlight of his career remains charging an Irish prop (was it Horan?) and having Jonno lose his rag in the stands
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Highlight of his career remains charging an Irish prop (was it Horan?) and having Jonno lose his rag in the stands
aye. But there are other examples
Puja

Post by Puja »

Stom wrote:Great. Now no Clifford :(
Run-off between Mercer and Simmonds for a place in the AIs squad?
Ooh, now that's very good news. Bit of a slap in the face for Hatley, although I won't mind that if it improves our scrum.

Puha
Backist Monk