Busy Bees at the Hive - Edinburgh 23/24

Moderator: OptimisticJock

septic 9

Re: Busy Bees at the Hive - Edinburgh 23/24

Post by septic 9 »

a nervous Healey was poor but TBH that is the least of Edinburgh's problems. He will come good, not sure I can say the same about the rest of them
paddy no 11

Post by paddy no 11 »

septic 9 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 5:19 pm
paddy no 11 wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:15 pm
BaldiePete wrote: Sat Nov 04, 2023 4:12 pm Leinster are just so efficient. The teams have had about the same amount of possession and Leinster have scored three tries but Edinburgh have never looked close to scoring one.
They had the lineout in the 22 at the start of the 2nd half and marius digs into the rule book to come up with a pen for leinster - completely unnecessary and has an undue impact on game
the one for leaving the lineout early. Was a good call. Except he then allowed Leinster to do the same. And it happens from nearly every team every game. If that was penalised Exeter for example would have won fuck all. It should be penalised but it has to be consistent, from all refs. Consistency from the same ref in the same game would be a start
This is my point regarding leinster, they done the exact same thing off the next lineout but ref said its fine, he intervened on that Edinburgh attack completely unnecessarily
Big D

Post by Big D »

Edinburgh were poor but it was a crazy 10min spell that killed the game.

Reasonably fortuitous first try for Leinster (well taken by their hooker tbf), restsrt out on the full, scrum pen, try Leinster with a yellow in their somewhere.

Staying in matches when not playing well is possible but not when shooting yourself in the foot.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Toulon are reportedly looking to sign Kinghorn when his contract is up at the end of the season. Definitely a good move for Kinghorn and in the short-term it would clear the log jam at full back. The problem for Edinburgh is that with Boffelli likely to move when his contract ends (I don’t know when that would be) we’ll go from having too many full backs to having a shortage.

https://www.theoffsideline.com/blair-ki ... n-everitt/
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Injury news for both Edinburgh and Glasgow here. Watson out for several weeks due to a facial injury suffered against Leinster. At the time there were no video replays of the incident, quelle surprise.

https://www.theoffsideline.com/hamish-w ... al-injury/
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

No sign of Price yet, I don’t think he starts with Edinburgh till Monday. Good to see Boyle getting a start with both Watson and Crosbie injured. Vellacott is back on the bench, so hopefully his personal issues have been resolved but it’ll make for an interesting selection next week when Price is available for Edinburgh.

No Aki or Hansen for Connacht (thankfully).

I’m going to this one tomorrow night which will probably curse them.

Edinburgh Rugby (versus Connacht at Hive Stadium on Saturday at 7.35pm): B Kinghorn; W Goosen, M Bennett, J Lang, D van der Merwe; B Healy, C Shiel; P Schoeman, E Ashman, J Sebastian, G Young, G Gilchrist©, T Dodd, C Boyle, V Mata. Substitutes: D Cherry, B Venter, A Williams, M Sykes, B Muncaster, B Vellacott, C Dean, R McCann.

Connacht: T O’Halloran, J Porch, B Ralston, T Daly, A Smith; J Carty ©, C Blade, P Dooley, T McElroy, J Aungier, N Murray, D Murray, C Prendergast, C Oliver, S O’Brien. Substitutes: D Tierney-Martin, J Duggan, S Illo, J Joyce, J Butler, C Reilly, D Hawkshaw, J Hanrahan

Unavailable: Emiliano Boffelli (toe), Luan de Bruin (back), Luke Crosbie (concussion), Matt Currie (thigh) Darcy Graham (hip), Jake Henry (knee), Mikey Jones (ankle), Cam Neild (knee), Sam Skinner (knee), Scott Steele (hip), Nathan Sweeney (hamstring), Jamie Ritchie (shoulder), Hamish Watson (cheekbone).
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

In other news, Charlie Savala, who just signed a 3 year deal at Edinburgh has been shipped out on loan to Northampton. With the arrival of Healy he was always likely to get limited game time but is he really going to get more at Northampton?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

BaldiePete wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2023 6:44 pm In other news, Charlie Savala, who just signed a 3 year deal at Edinburgh has been shipped out on loan to Northampton. With the arrival of Healy he was always likely to get limited game time but is he really going to get more at Northampton?
Saints 2nd choice 10 (behind Fin Smith) has left mid season to go to Japan, I cannot see any other 10s in their squad bar one academy player so maybe Savala gets some game time. OTOH Furbank has played 10 previously quite a bit, I suspect they will use him before Savala unless also lack full back options
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

I quite like Savala - seems an odd move. But maybe it makes sense if Kinghorn is off next season and Savala comes back to be back up.

Muncaster back is a big one. Great to see. Interesting that Dodd has pretty much nailed down the blindside slot with Ritchie out.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Boyle also seems to be getting some more gametime. Really is about time Edinburgh properly brought through their stash of young backrows.
Big D

Post by Big D »

I suspect Savala has fallen behind Scott as 3rd 10.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

A decent game, although there was some poor handling leading to a few harum-scarum moments, but Edinburgh deserved the win. Plus points for both Charlie Shiel, whose turnover led to the first try and Ben Vellacott whose support line on Duhan’s run got him a try and his quick thinking made Bennett’s try. With Price’s arrival next week, it’s unfortunate for Shiel who’ll probably be the one dropped out of the match day squads. I thought Boyle was also excellent, it’s a shame for him to get taken off after Schoeman’s yellow card. At the end of the match I don’t think many folk there realised there was a penalty advantage on the last play, everyone was just ecstatic at the drop goal going over. In the cold light of day it would have been better to go for the BP try. Hopefully that doesn’t come back to bite us at the end of the season.
Big D

Post by Big D »

BaldiePete wrote: Sat Nov 11, 2023 11:02 pm A decent game, although there was some poor handling leading to a few harum-scarum moments, but Edinburgh deserved the win. Plus points for both Charlie Shiel, whose turnover led to the first try and Ben Vellacott whose support line on Duhan’s run got him a try and his quick thinking made Bennett’s try. With Price’s arrival next week, it’s unfortunate for Shiel who’ll probably be the one dropped out of the match day squads. I thought Boyle was also excellent, it’s a shame for him to get taken off after Schoeman’s yellow card. At the end of the match I don’t think many folk there realised there was a penalty advantage on the last play, everyone was just ecstatic at the drop goal going over. In the cold light of day it would have been better to go for the BP try. Hopefully that doesn’t come back to bite us at the end of the season.
I didn't hear Whitehouse give an advantage. Commentators said it but Whitehouse was very quick in saying it and then dropped his arm very quickly. Most refs would have better communication and signalling there.

On balanace I think the drop goal was right. Risking two to win an additional one with a tough few games ahead plus a must win at home v Benneton could potentially have done more harm than good although the extra point would have been good. It wasn't Healy's best night off the tee and the win was needed. Two digs at the win with the drop goal in throw over range for a good 10.

Schoemans yellow was also nonsense but with Whitehouse there are going to be poor decisions made.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Price on the bench this week for Edinburgh. Isn’t that where he was most of last season at Glasgow. Ritchie back for his first game for Edinburgh this season which is good news. I’m really pleased to see Boyle getting another start even if it’s only because of injuries to Watson and Crosbie.

Jaco van der Walt on the bench for the Bulls.

Edinburgh Rugby (versus Bulls at Hive Stadium on Friday at 7.35pm): B Kinghorn; W Goosen, M Bennett, J Lang, D van der Merwe; B Healy, B Vellacott; P Schoeman, E Ashman, W Nel, G Young, G Gilchrist©, J Ritchie, C Boyle, V Mata. Substitutes: D Cherry, B Venter, J Sebastian, M Sykes, T Dodd, A Price, C Scott, C Dean.

Unavailable: Emiliano Boffelli (toe), Luan de Bruin (back), Luke Crosbie (concussion), Matt Currie (thigh) Darcy Graham (hip), Jake Henry (knee), Mikey Jones (ankle), Cam Neild (knee), Sam Skinner (knee), Scott Steele (hip), Nathan Sweeney (hamstring), Hamish Watson (cheekbone).

Bulls – 15 Devon Williams, 14 Sebastian de Klerk, 13 Stedman Gans, 12 David Kriel, 11 Sergeal Petersen, 10 Johan Goosen, 9 Embrose Papier, 8 Cameron Hanekom, 7 Elrigh Louw, 6 Marcell Coetzee (co-capt), 5 Ruan Nortje (co-capt), 4 Ruan Vermaak, 3 Wilco Louw, 2 Johan Grobbelaar, 1 Gerhard Steenekamp.
Subs: 16 Jan-Hendrik Wessels, 17 Simphiwe Matanzima, 18 Mornay Smith, 19 Reinhardt Ludwig, 20 Nizaam Carr, 21 Keagan Johannes, 22 Jaco van der Walt, 23 Cyle Brink.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I quite like Jaco, would be a fun player to play with.

Anyway, a good win. Any win against the Bulls is. But I'm still not particularly convinced.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

I didn’t manage to see much of the game because of reasons but I caught some of the second half albeit with no sound. It looked totally fucking mental, Kinghorn threw an NFL quarterback pass at one point and the Bulls were running it out from behind their own line. I’m guessing the red card had a major effect given we down at half time but I’ll take a BP win against the Bulls any day of the week.
Big D

Post by Big D »

1st half was pretty even and Edinburgh made the extra men then man count.

Maul worked well and still plenty to work on but some good signs. Boyle has been flying so far and yesterday was another good performance. Kinghorn looked really solid under the high ball which was both strange and good to see.

Next week is a big game but offer any new coach 4 out of 5 with the defeat being away in Dublin and I'm sure they'd take it.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:09 am 1st half was pretty even and Edinburgh made the extra men then man count.

Maul worked well and still plenty to work on but some good signs. Boyle has been flying so far and yesterday was another good performance. Kinghorn looked really solid under the high ball which was both strange and good to see.

Next week is a big game but offer any new coach 4 out of 5 with the defeat being away in Dublin and I'm sure they'd take it.
agree with your last bit, but it was truly abysmal performance in Dublin

Haven't seen last night's game, how did Price go?
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

I only saw the last 15 minutes or so and he looked to be having a good game, got the ball away quickly from the ruck. He certainly didn’t look like he’d only been with the team for five days.
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 12:33 pm
Big D wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2023 9:09 am 1st half was pretty even and Edinburgh made the extra men then man count.

agree with your last bit, but it was truly abysmal performance in Dublin

Haven't seen last night's game, how did Price go?
Did OK, although weirdly Edinburgh allowed the game to open in the last 10 when it should have been tightened right up. He and Healy should really be exerting control in that situation.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

thanks guys
Watched it now
Vellcott is a selfish brainless player. What a chance he butchered

I'm going to say I was impressed with Price, maybe it was the comparison, but watching Price's service from the base of every ruck - the speed to get the ball away, the accuracy and pace of pass, was like watchin Rolls-Royce take over from an Austin Allegro

And he did some very good tactical kicking. Bull tried to run everything and sort of opened up a bit, that was desperation for me

And yes, Boyle looking more like the real deal every game. Time to move on from Watson if he keeps this up
Big D

Post by Big D »

Listening to the Ritchie on the rugby pod. Glasgow offered him an academy contract at the start but Edinburgh offered full pro deal. I either forgot or didn't know that.

He had a sabbatical clause for after WC but chose not to use it.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

It looks like Kinghorn is still an Edinburgh player (for now). From his comments on the Offside Line it seems Everritt is as much in the dark about it as we are. Price gets the start, the hookers are rotated and Bennett is out with a hamstring strain. Crosbie is back, playing 8, with Mata concussed. Benetton have definitely been improving but Edinburgh should still be expecting a BP win.

Edinburgh Rugby (versus Benetton at Hive Stadium on Friday at 7.35pm): B Kinghorn; W Goosen, M Currie, J Lang, D van der Merwe; B Healy, A Price; P Schoeman, D Cherry, W Nel, G Young, G Gilchrist©, J Ritchie, C Boyle, L Crosbie. Substitutes: E Ashman, B Venter, A Williams, M Sykes, T Dodd, B Vellacott, T Swiel, C Dean.

Unavailable: Mark Bennett (hamstring), Emiliano Boffelli (toe), Luan de Bruin (back), Darcy Graham (hip), Jake Henry (knee), Mikey Jones (ankle), Viliame Mata (concussion), Cam Neild (knee), Sam Skinner (knee), Scott Steele (hip), Nathan Sweeney (hamstring), Hamish Watson (cheekbone).
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Tim Swirl is at Edinburgh? When did that happen? Fun player to watch, but pretty wild at times.
BaldiePete

Post by BaldiePete »

Kinghorn confirmed as moving to Toulouse in December, after the game next week against Ulster. Edinburgh to get six figure compensation. Seems weird to have that extra week. Will he actually play in that match? I can’t imagine it would go down well if he got injured. I can see how Edinburgh would want him to have a final home match tomorrow but I’m surprised Toulouse accepted the delay.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67499478