Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Moderator: Puja

francoisfou

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by francoisfou »

FKAS wrote: Sun Jan 07, 2024 5:54 pm Provence also have Tomas Francis and Johnny Gopperth on the books as well as Teimana Harrison, Lawes old club mate maybe telling him how great the life down in the south of France is.
I’ve read that Harrison’s current contract expires at the end of this season with no indication, for the moment, if there’ll be an extension. I think he’s usually in the starting XV so must be looked upon quite favourably, so there may well be two former Saints in the Provence back row next season.
Mikey Brown

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by Mikey Brown »

For whatever reason I always forget Barbeary when talking about backrow options. He and Willis look great as tight carriers. I mentioned Fisilau because I’d got the impression from here that was a strength of his too, but sounds like he belongs more in the all rounders category.

Barbeary is definitely a good shout if we want them to truck it in to the opposition pretty regularly, not that I’m saying that’s all he can do.

I can see the temptation to use Chessum at 6 with Itoje and Martin at lock, but it doesn’t feel like that’s where his future is to me.
jimKRFC

Post by jimKRFC »

Benjamin Grondona joins Bristol. 19, plays 6 or 8 and has played for Arg A.

With him and Mata signing some back rows must be in off - Vui probably one of them.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

jimKRFC wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:51 pm Benjamin Grondona joins Bristol. 19, plays 6 or 8 and has played for Arg A.

With him and Mata signing some back rows must be in off - Vui probably one of them.
Not going to use Vui more in the second row? I presume the 19 year old is a punt who might come good. Any relation to Santiago Grondona the injured Puma on Bears books?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Brantingham to Saracens for next season confirmed and rumours that Sarries are trying to make it happen ASAP with a lot of looseheads injured/suspended for them. Newcastle currently resisting, but whether that will last...

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Problem for Newcastle is that they are struggling for looseheads themselves so probably aren't keen to lose the young tyro who's pushing himself into the starting spot there. Hence the resistance. Of course Sarries might offer a fee and possibly a loan deal (maybe Harvey Beaton) to try and get it over the line. A fee to give them the chance to go shopping in the Championship is the most likely outcome, Goodrick-Clarke still at Ealing? Be a great pick up, even short term, for Newcastle.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Problem for Newcastle is that they are struggling for looseheads themselves so probably aren't keen to lose the young tyro who's pushing himself into the starting spot there. Hence the resistance. Of course Sarries might offer a fee and possibly a loan deal (maybe Harvey Beaton) to try and get it over the line. A fee to give them the chance to go shopping in the Championship is the most likely outcome, Goodrick-Clarke still at Ealing? Be a great pick up, even short term, for Newcastle. Even Biyi Alo from Ealing and shift McCalum across to loosehead.
jimKRFC

Post by jimKRFC »

FKAS wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:15 am
jimKRFC wrote: Tue Jan 09, 2024 7:51 pm Benjamin Grondona joins Bristol. 19, plays 6 or 8 and has played for Arg A.

Not going to use Vui more in the second row? I presume the 19 year old is a punt who might come good. Any relation to Santiago Grondona the injured Puma on Bears books?
Vui has been absent since the start of the season for "family reasons". No sign of him coming back but no idea what is going on.

Benjamin is Santiago's little brother. Hoping they are as effective as the Contipomi brothers were!
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

jimKRFC wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 7:35 am
FKAS wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2024 7:15 am

Vui has been absent since the start of the season for "family reasons". No sign of him coming back but no idea what is going on.

Benjamin is Santiago's little brother. Hoping they are as effective as the Contipomi brothers were!
Ah ok, just presumed Vui was injured. If he's not been around for an extended period you're right, chances are he's not coming back.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Phenomenal news today - Clive Woodward has "opted to stand down" from being a pundit for ITV, so we will not be graced with him and his incredible ability to link any conversation topic back around to what he did when he won the World Cup (did you know he won the World Cup?) this coming 6N.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Puja wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 11:45 am Phenomenal news today - Clive Woodward has "opted to stand down" from being a pundit for ITV, so we will not be graced with him and his incredible ability to link any conversation topic back around to what he did when he won the World Cup (did you know he won the World Cup?) this coming 6N.

Puja
That truly is great news.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

It’s going to save me a fortune in new tvs and window panes. If you include no Farrell at flyhalf then I’ll be very zen when watching England. I might try and watch in downward dog to complete the experience.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

“It has been a fantastic time but I now want to concentrate on other things,” Woodward told The Times. “ITV were very disappointed but after the Rugby World Cup I wanted to go out on a high.”
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Well that is some good news on a Friday afternoon.
Stom

Post by Stom »

This is probably the only transfer every single member of RR can completely get behind
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Stom wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:51 pm This is probably the only transfer every single member of RR can completely get behind
I dunno I think anyone of us would volunteer to transport Farrell over to Paris and a three year deal with Racing.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

FKAS wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:02 pm
Stom wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 2:51 pm This is probably the only transfer every single member of RR can completely get behind
I dunno I think anyone of us would volunteer to transport Farrell over to Paris and a three year deal with Racing.
Mako transferring away from international rugby is also likely to have unanimous support (announced around 3.30 this afternoon btw)

Farrell's more awkward - a good option, but not the best option, and has been too untouchable for too long, rather than us particularly wanting rid.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Which Tyler wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:47 pmFarrell's more awkward - a good option, but not the best option, and has been too untouchable for too long, rather than us particularly wanting rid.
The rending of hair in the press has been awful. A couple of newspapers declaring that this must be the death knell for the overseas rule if we can't pick Farrell.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Feels like Mako has been told he's not in the running for a 6N spot so he's decided to bow out before the squad is announced and do it his way. Respect that.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

FKAS wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:17 pm Feels like Mako has been told he's not in the running for a 6N spot so he's decided to bow out before the squad is announced and do it his way. Respect that.
Good for him. It's tough as a 'fan' (or whatever it is we're doing here) where for a player like Mako it's been little but criticism for the last couple of seasons now. He's been absolutely fantastic for England in general.

I don't know if he was just worn in to the ground in the last few years or is on a natural decline, but we need to move on. He fully deserves a nice payday abroad if that's what is on the cards.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:27 pm
FKAS wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:17 pm Feels like Mako has been told he's not in the running for a 6N spot so he's decided to bow out before the squad is announced and do it his way. Respect that.
Good for him. It's tough as a 'fan' (or whatever it is we're doing here) where for a player like Mako it's been little but criticism for the last couple of seasons now. He's been absolutely fantastic for England in general.

I don't know if he was just worn in to the ground in the last few years or is on a natural decline, but we need to move on. He fully deserves a nice payday abroad if that's what is on the cards.
*presses like button*
Stom

Post by Stom »

Mellsblue wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:30 pm
Mikey Brown wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:27 pm

*presses like button*
Absolutely.

He was excellent, but his decline was sad. Wish him luck.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

apologies, have doubled up on this in the EPS thread. Excellent player, despite a novel scrummaging technique, great career to date.
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Puja wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:09 pm
Which Tyler wrote: Fri Jan 12, 2024 3:47 pmFarrell's more awkward - a good option, but not the best option, and has been too untouchable for too long, rather than us particularly wanting rid.
The rending of hair in the press has been awful. A couple of newspapers declaring that this must be the death knell for the overseas rule if we can't pick Farrell.

Puja
This is genuinely weird. He's said he doesn't want to play for England, at which point the whole overseas rule thing just becomes completely moot.
If the thing that is keeping you here is playing for England, but now you don't want to do that anymore, why wouldn't you go for the pay day?
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Ruan Ackerman is going back to SA.