EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Which Tyler

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Which Tyler »

By motivation - I was talking about avoiding the weight loss.
You can still eat baby food with your jaw wired together, you just wouldn't want to. Equally, you can still go to the gym as normal; and again, you just wouldn't want to.
Also, you CAN do things to speed up the bone repair - it's just not for Joe Bloggs like you or I - some forms of ultrasound and (very gentle) percussive treatment across the break can encourage callus formation and remodelling IIRC.

9-10 weeks is a catch all, and specifically ignoring the site of the fracture (as we don't know it) and a rule of thumb, more talking about players at local level where I might see them.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote:By motivation - I was talking about avoiding the weight loss.
You can still eat baby food with your jaw wired together, you just wouldn't want to. Equally, you can still go to the gym as normal; and again, you just wouldn't want to.
Also, you CAN do things to speed up the bone repair - it's just not for Joe Bloggs like you or I - some forms of ultrasound and (very gentle) percussive treatment across the break can encourage callus formation and remodelling IIRC.

9-10 weeks is a catch all, and specifically ignoring the site of the fracture (as we don't know it) and a rule of thumb, more talking about players at local level where I might see them.
Oh- I did do gym, but getting enough protein and carbs in to maintain weight and energy is very difficult- I did do complan and liquefied stuff, but even so. I was moderately motivated as was playing a decent standard at the time. I guess you are right that today's pros have access to more stuff.

anyway, wouldn't recommend it.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Oakboy wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Which Tyler wrote: I'm probably doing you a huge disservice here by even asking this question.
But.
Did you have the motivation of your place in the England rugby team being under threat being dangled before you?
no, but my jaw was wired for at least 6 weeks, and they recommended no contact for at least 2 more. As you said, accelerating the healing is nigh impossible, so nothing to do with motivation really. Probably also depends on location of break and severity- I didn't help myself by playing on for an hour til the end of the game, it was so cold the pain didn't really kick in.
Wow, did you have to go 2 months without talking?
The happiest two months of Mrs Banquo’s life.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
Banquo wrote: no, but my jaw was wired for at least 6 weeks, and they recommended no contact for at least 2 more. As you said, accelerating the healing is nigh impossible, so nothing to do with motivation really. Probably also depends on location of break and severity- I didn't help myself by playing on for an hour til the end of the game, it was so cold the pain didn't really kick in.
Wow, did you have to go 2 months without talking?
The happiest two months of Mrs Banquo’s life.
not just for that reason ;)
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Wales apparently sniffing around Lewis Ludlow: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... r-13996134
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

In other news ... Genge needs shoulder surgery and will probably miss the 6N
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Scrumhead wrote:Wales apparently sniffing around Lewis Ludlow: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... r-13996134
Hes just signed a new long term deal with Glos, announced today.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Scrumhead wrote:In other news ... Genge needs shoulder surgery and will probably miss the 6N
2 months out apparently. Should be back to play some part if he’s needed.

Would like to see Hepburn given a chance as a 3rd loosehead, he’s such a good player.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Timbo wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:Wales apparently sniffing around Lewis Ludlow: http://www.walesonline.co.uk/sport/rugb ... r-13996134
Wouldn't necessarily rule him out of Welsh selection, I don't think - I believe that their rule is that you can't sign a contract away from Wales after you've been picked for them. So they can still poach and hope that the next contract brings him back to Wales.

Not 100% sure he's international quality though, although that may just be bias from my having been watching out for and cheering on the other Lewis Ludl** for the past few years and him having been a confusing annoyance!

Puja
Backist Monk
Digby

Post by Digby »

The real Lewis Ludl** is back from injury now, and it's not like the Saints 1st XV is playing well enough to keep him out
Puja

Post by Puja »

Digby wrote:The real Lewis Ludl** is back from injury now, and it's not like the Saints 1st XV is playing well enough to keep him out
Has that ever stopped Mallinder before?

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Puja wrote:
Timbo wrote:
Wouldn't necessarily rule him out of Welsh selection, I don't think - I believe that their rule is that you can't sign a contract away from Wales after you've been picked for them. So they can still poach and hope that the next contract brings him back to Wales.

Not 100% sure he's international quality though, although that may just be bias from my having been watching out for and cheering on the other Lewis Ludl** for the past few years and him having been a confusing annoyance!

Puja
I’m not yet sure on Ludlow, but I also think our expectation level is sky high these days. We’re becoming so accustomed to young players coming through and immediately performing at a high level so IMO, it’s becoming more and more difficult to separate who is going to be test class and who isn’t going to progress beyond being a solid Premiership performer.

I think Ludlow is having a great season so far and if he continues developing I’d rather we keep an English player in the England reckoning rather than losing him to Wales.

Also from a more calculated point of view, Wales have a lot more established options at flanker than we do right now, so he’d have a hard time getting past Warburton, Tipuric, Moriarty, Lydiate, Navidi, Shingler, Davies, Young, Jenkins etc. etc.
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

I'm just happy he plays for Gloucester right now, we have a habit of immediately identifiying any player with a few good games under their belt as the next big test sensation. Not many of these have come to pass, or in some cases they have stepped up and pretty quickly been sent packing back down again. Very early days for Lewis, he's only really been a regular in the Glos back row this season and missed a few of the early games too. Its nice to dream and hype I agree, but if we are still talking about him in the same way in 1-2 years time then perhaps we can get more carried away.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Ludlow is 23 so older than the Currys, Underhill and Simmonds. He's had to wait for a chance and that can be no bad thing. He does look a very accomplished player but it is early days.
Pity we dont have any Saxons fixtures, as he is exactly the player you would think would be right in the frame.
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

fivepointer wrote:Ludlow is 23 so older than the Currys, Underhill and Simmonds. He's had to wait for a chance and that can be no bad thing. He does look a very accomplished player but it is early days.
Pity we dont have any Saxons fixtures, as he is exactly the player you would think would be right in the frame.
agree entirely.
Puja

Post by Puja »

fivepointer wrote:Ludlow is 23 so older than the Currys, Underhill and Simmonds. He's had to wait for a chance and that can be no bad thing. He does look a very accomplished player but it is early days.
I thought we were due to have at least an Ireland one during the 6N?

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Gloskarlos wrote:
agree entirely.
Seconded. Although Simmonds has had a similarly slow breakthrough. He’s 22 or 23.

James Chisholm is in a similar category too, although his was more to do with injury.
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

Had a quick look on line, thre may be a few errors but essentially Since 2010, we have used these players I consider (to date) to be 'bit part' at Flanker (by bit part, I mean the odd appearance and not considered a regular in any way, perhaps a bit harsh on some, and some due more to injury than suddenly becoming out of favour)

Hendre Fourie
Tom Johnson
Matt Kvesic
Callum Clark
Mark Wilson
Jack Clifford
Teimana Harrison
Tom Curry
Dom Armand
Sam Underhill
Sam Simmonds

There must beat least another 6 or 7 back row players talked about on here that could joing this 'nearly but not quite' list, Ludlow/Chisholm included.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Apparently Billy had his first running session today so he is slightly ahead of schedule. Fingers crossed.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

twitchy wrote:Apparently Billy had his first running session today so he is slightly ahead of schedule. Fingers crossed.
It just means that Mako came home with a bus of doughnuts. Billy just ran in from the living room.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Gloskarlos wrote:Had a quick look on line, thre may be a few errors but essentially Since 2010, we have used these players I consider (to date) to be 'bit part' at Flanker (by bit part, I mean the odd appearance and not considered a regular in any way, perhaps a bit harsh on some, and some due more to injury than suddenly becoming out of favour)

Hendre Fourie
Tom Johnson
Matt Kvesic
Callum Clark
Mark Wilson
Jack Clifford
Teimana Harrison
Tom Curry
Dom Armand
Sam Underhill
Sam Simmonds

There must beat least another 6 or 7 back row players talked about on here that could joing this 'nearly but not quite' list, Ludlow/Chisholm included.
7 years is a LONG time and I don’t really think anyone who hasn’t been picked by Eddie is particularly relevant.

For a significant chunk of that time Robshaw, Wood and Haskell were our go-to flankers and players like Johnson, Clark, Dowson etc. were the back-up in the absence of better options.

Now we are transitioning away from those main guys (minus Robshaw), there was always going to be a period of change with a few people tried and I think there’s a clear distinction between players who come in for a game or two and are considered not up to it or ‘not ready’ such as Harrison and guys like Curry, Underhill and Simmonds who currently have a handful of caps, but will get more (barring injury).

I think Eddie is settling on the group he feels are most likely to be in the mix come 2019 and while players like Ludlow and Chisholm are unlikely to be there, I don’t see any reason why they can’t be genuine contenders post-World Cup, assuming they keep developing.
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

Oh I agree, just making the point that we talk a lot about 6, 7, 8 (nearly as much as 9, 10 12) and the vast majority of those touted to be potential next best things' are likely to be one or two cap wonders if they ever make the breakthrough in the first place. Comes from having a potential embarrassment of riches perhaps ;)

In terms of Polledri and Ludlow - some calls for 'snap them up quick before Italy/Wales poach them' mostly on shedweb but a little here too. I would love them to succeed for England, ambition needs to be tinged with a little realism though.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Not sure if this counts as EPS or not; but it looks like Rokoduguni is to have surgery on his shoulder, probably looking at 2 months out.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

A good look at Jonathan Joseph getting some consistent space and good ball against Toulon today. World class. His running and distribution, really impressive. And his defence is always spot on.

Preaching to the choir, but a Te’o-Joseph partnership could be dynamite.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

JJ really good today. I liked the work of Dunn and Watson looked dangerous. i thought Mercer made a good impact from the bench.