EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Banquo

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:I still remember his game for England A against Ireland A and thinking he was a real talent, and then it never quite happened for him, for whatever reason. A hell of career mind, and it's only since George there have been more widespread complaints, even when he was competing with Youngs and getting the nod there wasn't much ire
suspect because the cupboard was pretty bare.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Blimey, you're down on England's batsman, and now you're down on Steve Thompson coming back from retirement and the mighty Lee Mears, there's just no pleasing some
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:Blimey, you're down on England's batsman, and now you're down on Steve Thompson coming back from retirement and the mighty Lee Mears, there's just no pleasing some
2 out of 2 ain't bad
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:Blimey, you're down on England's batsman, and now you're down on Steve Thompson coming back from retirement and the mighty Lee Mears, there's just no pleasing some
2 out of 2 ain't bad
You're no Meatloaf
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
2 out of 2 ain't bad
You're no Meatloaf
Took the words right out of my mouth
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Has Hartley ever let Eddie down at international level?

I'd probably not pick him but Eddie's apparent defence is that he's a different player for England. Is anybody else old enough to remember Martin Peters/ Alf Ramsay? Peters was playing like a crab for his club. Ramsay said he'd never let England down and, despite press demands for him to be dropped, he played a blinder in the next match.

All I'd add is that I'm not sure that Hartley is in significantly worse form than he was a year ago to the extent that is being claimed. Also, I've never been convinced that George is quite as good as the hype.

Fully fit and firing, I'd pick Taylor.
p/d

Post by p/d »

I have long defended Hartley with good reason and an open mind. However he is playing like a sack of crap, and would struggle to make the London Irish bench next season.

LCD, George and Sally Traffic are far better options
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Oakboy wrote:Has Hartley ever let Eddie down at international level?

I'd probably not pick him but Eddie's apparent defence is that he's a different player for England. Is anybody else old enough to remember Martin Peters/ Alf Ramsay? Peters was playing like a crab for his club. Ramsay said he'd never let England down and, despite press demands for him to be dropped, he played a blinder in the next match.

All I'd add is that I'm not sure that Hartley is in significantly worse form than he was a year ago to the extent that is being claimed. Also, I've never been convinced that George is quite as good as the hype.

You'd never have dropped Greavsie though Dors....
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Blimey Alf Ramsey and Martin Peters! Mexico 1970, i can still recall the horror of losing to WG after being 2 up!

Hartley has never played particularly well for England, under any coach. At best he has been competent. If you set the bar at that level, then its fair to say he hasnt let Eddie down. I cannot recall him ever being one of our standout players, or having an exceptional game. Wouldnt you expect your captain to be one of your better players and to stand out from time to time? Well, Hartley isnt and hasnt.

The comparison Healey makes with Robshaw as captain is spot on. Chris was invariably one of our better players and maintained his standards when he went back to Quins, where he was consistently excellent.
p/d

Post by p/d »

F**king hell!!!

Next you ‘old boys’ will be telling us Veronica Lake was your preferred pin up
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

fivepointer wrote:Blimey Alf Ramsey and Martin Peters! Mexico 1970, i can still recall the horror of losing to WG after being 2 up!

Hartley has never played particularly well for England, under any coach. At best he has been competent. If you set the bar at that level, then its fair to say he hasnt let Eddie down. I cannot recall him ever being one of our standout players, or having an exceptional game. Wouldnt you expect your captain to be one of your better players and to stand out from time to time? Well, Hartley isnt and hasnt.

The comparison Healey makes with Robshaw as captain is spot on. Chris was invariably one of our better players and maintained his standards when he went back to Quins, where he was consistently excellent.
He's just a solid hooker, good at the lineout, 'convincing' (refs) at the scrum, and a slow workhorse in the loose. He's never carried well. isn't a destructive tackler, but hits a lot of rucks and makes standard tackles. You'd think we could have done better by now, and for the last 7 years really!
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

p/d wrote:F**king hell!!!

and yet we have never heard of V Lake :)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

fivepointer wrote:Blimey Alf Ramsey and Martin Peters! Mexico 1970, i can still recall the horror of losing to WG after being 2 up!

See 5P. the optimist in me remember the mighty 66 victory.....Peters goal that put us 2-1 up....I was 4 years old and remember it like yesterday (mind, I can't remember much about that)
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

fivepointer wrote:Hartley has never played particularly well for England, under any coach. At best he has been competent. If you set the bar at that level, then its fair to say he hasnt let Eddie down. I cannot recall him ever being one of our standout players, or having an exceptional game. Wouldnt you expect your captain to be one of your better players and to stand out from time to time? Well, Hartley isnt and hasnt.

And mostly amidst constant criticism that he was ‘not a 7’, regardless of how well he played.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

It’s getting like the old people’s home again.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:It’s getting like the old people’s home again.
You need to check out permanently next time!
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Banquo wrote:

My hero! Scored goals by 'passing to the stanchion' as Bill Nicholson suggested. I was at Wembley in 66 as a schoolboy when they played France in the league stage right by the left wing corner flag. When Bobby Moore signalled for an outswinging corner, Greaves took it with his left foot. When the signal was for an inswinger he took it with his right. Absolute skill.

I've been a devotee of pure skill in ball games ever since.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
p/d wrote:F**king hell!!!

and yet we have never heard of V Lake :)
speak for yourself, I've seen LA Confidential
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Enough of that! :o

Try to be kind to the more mature of us - make it your NY resolution.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote: 2 out of 2 ain't bad
You're no Meatloaf
Took the words right out of my mouth
If Maroon 5 ever do a song for Hartley he'll be said to have the moves like Meatloaf
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
You need to check out permanently next time!
You can check out any time you want...
Digby

Post by Digby »

Oakboy wrote:
Enough of that! :o

Try to be kind to the more mature of us - make it your NY resolution.
In a NY minute
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Oakboy wrote:
Banquo wrote:

My hero! Scored goals by 'passing to the stanchion' as Bill Nicholson suggested. I was at Wembley in 66 as a schoolboy when they played France in the league stage right by the left wing corner flag. When Bobby Moore signalled for an outswinging corner, Greaves took it with his left foot. When the signal was for an inswinger he took it with his right. Absolute skill.

Exactly my point. So the roundhead Ramsey dropped the cavalier Jimmy, and won a World Cup. Ouch
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Banquo wrote:
Oakboy wrote:
Banquo wrote: You'd never have dropped Greavsie though Dors....

Exactly my point. So the roundhead Ramsey dropped the cavalier Jimmy, and won a World Cup. Ouch
Pointing out that I've been wrong ever since 1966 was uncalled for. :?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Oakboy wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Oakboy wrote:

Pointing out that I've been wrong ever since 1966 was uncalled for. :?
Just kiddin :)