Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Moderator: Puja

FKAS

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by FKAS »

twitchy wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 10:07 am Ruan Ackerman is going back to SA.
Sounds like talks are ongoing but nothing signed.

https://www.sarugbymag.co.za/boks-draw- ... n-back-sa/

He's a quality player but I think he'll be lucky to make the Boks side.
FKAS

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by FKAS »

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67995451

Well I didn't see that one coming.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Poor Glaws.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

It's not April yet. WTF?
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

FKAS wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:47 pm https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/67995451

Well I didn't see that one coming.
It was "known" that he was leaving for a pay-day, but I Think we all assumed it was to Japan, and end of season.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

maaaad
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 12:50 pm It's not April yet. WTF?
Yeah I did have to double check that myself.

Crazy decision. It's a short term pay cut for the chance to make it where no rugby player really has. A couple have come close I suppose but I think Hayden Smith and his one reception as a tight end for the Yets is the most a Prem player has managed.
Puja

Post by Puja »

My initial reaction too.

Frankly, I think he's an idiot. There's been a bunch of players who've tried it and come back having not made a dent on a starting team, Wade being the latest. It appears to be that there's just too much about Yank football that needs to be absorbed from a young age and which can't be learned in the space of a season or two.

It may be that he's the exception to the rule, but I think he'll be back in rugby in 3-4 years' time, having missed out on 3 years of development and learning, never to become the player we thought he could be.

Crushing blow to rugby in general and Wales in specific though. Very disappointing.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:05 pm
My initial reaction too.

Frankly, I think he's an idiot. There's been a bunch of players who've tried it and come back having not made a dent on a starting team, Wade being the latest. It appears to be that there's just too much about Yank football that needs to be absorbed from a young age and which can't be learned in the space of a season or two.

It may be that he's the exception to the rule, but I think he'll be back in rugby in 3-4 years' time, having missed out on 3 years of development and learning, never to become the player we thought he could be.

Crushing blow to rugby in general and Wales in specific though. Very disappointing.

Puja
NFL players are also exceptional all round athletes in the positions he'll be looking at.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:09 pm
My initial reaction too.

Puja
NFL players are also exceptional all round athletes in the positions he'll be looking at.
Exactly. He's got incredible physical abilities - lightning fast and strong and elusive - but there's dozens of Yank college players who have the same physical gifts and have been breathing the game all their life.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:21 pm
Banquo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:09 pm

My initial reaction too.

Puja
Exactly. He's got incredible physical abilities - lightning fast and strong and elusive - but there's dozens of Yank college players who have the same physical gifts and have been breathing the game all their life.

Puja
TBH I don't think he's even that close in terms of raw physical ability.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

There are some major differences in the sports. The NFL guys are ridiculously explosive and powerful. Unlike rugby players they just aren't conditioned to be endurance athletes. The game is more formulaic for attacking players like LRZ which doesn't suit rugby players who are more used to reading the game, normally the defensive players in NFL have the onus to read the game. Staying close to your blockers and support was something Wade apparently found hard to adjust to as it's the opposite of rugby where you make the break ahead of your teammates.

It's going to be tough for him. I presume he's going as a wide receiver.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

FKAS wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:30 pm There are some major differences in the sports.
Really :lol: :lol:
p/d

Post by p/d »

Bloody good luck to him. At 22 and an avid NFL fan then why not.

Class player in union, and fingers crossed he finds success over the pond
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

Puja wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:05 pm Crushing blow to rugby in general and Wales in specific though. Very disappointing.
This is my take. I really feel for Wales - to have that sort of talent just 'up and leave' is a massive kick to the gut. Good luck to the guy, but it's really unfortunate for Wales and a big shame for Rugby too
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

p/d wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:49 pm an avid NFL fan

course he is...
p/d

Post by p/d »

Banquo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:54 pm
p/d wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:49 pm an avid NFL fan

course he is...
I’m only quoting Alex ‘the hit man’ Brown
Big D

Post by Big D »

Good for him.

He is 22 stuck working in a profession company/club in a sector/league that has seen 3 clubs go burst recently. Why not take a punt on a new career. He's just about 23, can have two years in the international programme and come back at 25 before the RWC if the NFL thing doesn't work out.

I think he will struggle but fair fucks to him for taking a lesser wage in the short term when he could have pissed off to Japan and picked up an easy wage. I would imagine it'll be WR notionally with the aim of a few snaps a game eventually but returning kicks in the main.

It didn't work for Wade who made the practice squad or Hayne who made an active roster. Both were much older though. Jordan Mialata who plays a tough position, was a similar age and no NFL experience when he was drafted picking up a $2.5m, four year deal. His second deal was four years and $40m guarenteed. LRZ will play a totally different position but it is better to try and fail than wish you never tried.
Emsworth

Post by Emsworth »

I can't see it working, his development set up is all wrong. Modern rugby (especially international utilises long phases of play to try to create gaps. NFL is all about brief periods of explosive speed/power. Anyone he's in direct competition with who has identical physical gifts will be much better honed for the NFL than he is.

Also, where is he going to play? Has to be offence because learning basic coverage skills from scratch would take 3-4 years at the very least. Can't play receiver, there are 1,000 high school kids playing receiver who have a much better understanding than him of running a route tree and how to find the soft spots in a zone. So it's running back, the dime-a-dozen, three years and done position of the NFL. Where he has no real experience of how to follow blocks and absolutely none of how to protect a QB's blindside (Yikes!)

Good luck to him, I think he'll need it!
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Big D wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:57 pm Good for him.

He is 22 stuck working in a profession company/club in a sector/league that has seen 3 clubs go burst recently. Why not take a punt on a new career. He's just about 23, can have two years in the international programme and come back at 25 before the RWC if the NFL thing doesn't work out.

I think he will struggle but fair fucks to him for taking a lesser wage in the short term when he could have pissed off to Japan and picked up an easy wage. I would imagine it'll be WR notionally with the aim of a few snaps a game eventually but returning kicks in the main.

It didn't work for Wade who made the practice squad or Hayne who made an active roster. Both were much older though. Jordan Mialata who plays a tough position, was a similar age and no NFL experience when he was drafted picking up a $2.5m, four year deal. His second deal was four years and $40m guarenteed. LRZ will play a totally different position but it is better to try and fail than wish you never tried.
He played NRL didn't he? and was drafted as an Offensive Tackle when he was just 21. Not sure its much of a marker tbh. But all the best to LRZ, think its a bit mad, but its brave for sure.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I don't know much about NFL really, but I just don't see how he fits in terms of doing the physical stuff as a defender (great as he is, he's still hilariously bad at putting his body on the line in defence) or having multiple guys flying at your head and knees all day. Maybe he wouldn't have to deal with defence at all though?

Good on him for taking a risk I guess, but it does sound like a big one. It's not a given he'd return as the same player, and he currently looks on track to be a world class wing. I guess I don't see why it's that much more appealing than cashing in with France/Japan.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I'm guessing it's bullshit but if Saracens do go after Paddy Jackson it would really be something.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:58 pm I'm guessing it's bullshit but if Saracens do go after Paddy Jackson it would really be something.
Still chasing hard for the "everyone hates us and we don't care"

But yes, very doubtful
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Banquo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:43 pm
Big D wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:57 pm Good for him.

He played NRL didn't he? and was drafted as an Offensive Tackle when he was just 21. Not sure its much of a marker tbh. But all the best to LRZ, think its a bit mad, but its brave for sure.
Maialata was NRL and is an offensive tackle. He's also a physical freak, huge and hugely athletic. Very different skillet required than wide receiver, though OT is probably more technical and reportedly the most complex position to play mentally.

Presumably LRZ will try make it as a wide receiver, where he has the right physical skill-set. His long speed will be less important than his acceleration and ability to make sudden cuts, but at least he has a bit of height, which really prevented Wade from making it and pushed him towards running back. Learning the route concepts and timing will be key. In his favour, he's not afraid to get physical, so some team which prioritises blocking from their wide receivers (like my niners) might take a flyer.

The other route for him might be as a punt returner. He's good under a high ball, it'd give him a little space and special teams is the way into a roster for someone without draft pedigree.

The IPP is fun but I think it hurts some players. Teams get to keep an extra player on their practice squad so there is much less incentive for them to draft someone as a bit of a punt.