EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Which Tyler

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Which Tyler »

Mellsblue wrote:Telegraph reporting that there is an unpublished 45 man EPS which Vellacott is in.
Who are the unnamed 10?[/quote]
Do you want another go at the complicated 45-40=? question?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Which Tyler wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Telegraph reporting that there is an unpublished 45 man EPS which Vellacott is in.
Who are the unnamed 10?
Do you want another go at the complicated 45-40=? question?[/quote]
My maths was based on this:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Which Tyler wrote:
Who are the unnamed 10?
Do you want another go at the complicated 45-40=? question?[/quote]
Do you want another go at the complicated quoting procedure?
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Perhaps I’m just being miserable, but does anyone else think we should remove the words ‘Player Form’ from the subject line?

Apparently form isn’t a key part of the selection criteria at the moment.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Billy V is out for twelve weeks.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:Billy V is out for twelve weeks.
not much of a season again.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Not good.
Digby

Post by Digby »

I think we all knew where Dan Cole and Sam Warburton would be on that list a long time ago
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Interesting and does support the notion that our players are overplayed. Nothing new there, i guess.
What would have made this a bit more relevant is to look at how many games the players have been available for, and how many minutes played in the Euro comps.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

fivepointer wrote:Interesting and does support the notion that our players are overplayed. Nothing new there, i guess.
What would have made this a bit more relevant is to look at how many games the players have been available for, and how many minutes played in the Euro comps.
Yep. You could move Marler, Sinckler, Teo and Faletau up the list if it weren’t for injuries and bans. I’m also not that bothered about Joseph being too high as he didn’t play much in NZ.

Lawes is a big worry. He played loads in NZ and took a battering in the process. What was his work load during the AI’s, I can’t remember?
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

The likes of CJ Stander, Connor Murray, Tadgh Furlong, McGrath and even Sexton and O’brien have been fit and available for most of the season. Ireland have really got their shit together.
padprop

Post by padprop »

Timbo wrote:The likes of CJ Stander, Connor Murray, Tadgh Furlong, McGrath and even Sexton and O’brien have been fit and available for most of the season. Ireland have really got their shit together.
Yes, but I'm sure it doesn't do wonders for attendance at Pro 14 (16?, 18?) games when your favourite players arent playing in most games. Kind of devalues the competition and I doubt players care much about winning it.
Digby

Post by Digby »

It's hard to know whether the lack of senior players causes issues in attendance and TV contracts being lower than is possible. But it's certainly a reasonable concern
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
fivepointer wrote:Interesting and does support the notion that our players are overplayed. Nothing new there, i guess.
Yep. You could move Marler, Sinckler, Teo and Faletau up the list if it weren’t for injuries and bans. I’m also not that bothered about Joseph being too high as he didn’t play much in NZ.

Lawes is a big worry. He played loads in NZ and took a battering in the process. What was his work load during the AI’s, I can’t remember?
and Itoje, as his minutes include an injury (I think?)
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Timbo wrote:The likes of CJ Stander, Connor Murray, Tadgh Furlong, McGrath and even Sexton and O’brien have been fit and available for most of the season. Ireland have really got their shit together.
nothing new though. Their system is geared towards the national good, and leveraging the 'history' and allegiance to provinces, and aligned with the IRFU....good on them, more fool us.

What's odd is that we seem surprised every year when we have a lot of injuries and our players are shagged out.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Dont we have enough data now to determine the optimum number of games/ or minutes played for every position? We've had pro rugby for long enough, and the amount of information that is available on minutes played and injuries for every position must be pretty extensive.
Stats and data are in widespread use in the game, so why cant we say that props should play a max of X minutes and wings a max of X number and work to that standard?
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

I think the decision about scrapping relegation or not will be coming soon.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:

and Itoje, as his minutes include an injury (I think?)
Yep, broken jaw. An injury only the finest players suffer.
Digby

Post by Digby »

This feels a little similar in nature to asking questions about Underhill a while back, but what am I supposed to be seeing in Vellacott that marks him out as test potential?

Like Underhill he looks fine to me, but I've not noticed anything that's making me think wow get him in the squad.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:This feels a little similar in nature to asking questions about Underhill a while back, but what am I supposed to be seeing in Vellacott that marks him out as test potential?

Like Underhill he looks fine to me, but I've not noticed anything that's making me think wow get him in the squad.
He's quick and decisive. The latter point is a wow factor in comparison to his competition
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:This feels a little similar in nature to asking questions about Underhill a while back, but what am I supposed to be seeing in Vellacott that marks him out as test potential?

He's quick and decisive. The latter point is a wow factor in comparison to his competition
Is that when coming on as a sub up against tired players? The Danny Care role as it were
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Banquo wrote:

Agreed to that, especially his willingness to pass the ball rather than having a cuppa whilst thinking about it.
Fair point t too that most SHs seem to look better coming off the bench than they do starting.
Also, of course, the facts that he's young and still improving, whilst Scotland want him.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Is that when coming on as a sub up against tired players? The Danny Care role as it were
That's 'a' role, but I'd say he's more decisive, based on a much smaller evidence base. I like the cut of his jib, but then i also rate Underhill....and see potential for both to improve- that's what coaches do :)