EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Digby

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Digby »

Which Tyler wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:This feels a little similar in nature to asking questions about Underhill a while back, but what am I supposed to be seeing in Vellacott that marks him out as test potential?

Like Underhill he looks fine to me, but I've not noticed anything that's making me think wow get him in the squad.
He's quick and decisive. The latter point is a wow factor in comparison to his competition
Agreed to that, especially his willingness to pass the ball rather than having a cuppa whilst thinking about it.
Fair point t too that most SHs seem to look better coming off the bench than they do starting.
Also, of course, the facts that he's young and still improving, whilst Scotland want him.
Faf de Klerk looks the most consistent at getting the ball way in the AP right now, and Faf takes less steps than Vellacott. I understand Vellacott taking those steps to ensure he's not getting scragged, but it does seem they would be held more against Youngs and Care. Vellacott certainly looks worth keeping an eye on, i'm just not sure I'm seeing anything which makes me want him over Robson, similar to Underhill where I'd be more interested in looking at Kvesic or Ben Curry
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:
Banquo wrote: He's quick and decisive. The latter point is a wow factor in comparison to his competition
Agreed to that, especially his willingness to pass the ball rather than having a cuppa whilst thinking about it.
Fair point t too that most SHs seem to look better coming off the bench than they do starting.
Also, of course, the facts that he's young and still improving, whilst Scotland want him.
Faf de Klerk looks the most consistent at getting the ball way in the AP right now, and Faf takes less steps than Vellacott. I understand Vellacott taking those steps to ensure he's not getting scragged, but it does seem they would be held more against Youngs and Care. Vellacott certainly looks worth keeping an eye on, i'm just not sure I'm seeing anything which makes me want him over Robson, similar to Underhill where I'd be more interested in looking at Kvesic or Ben Curry
All five names you mention should be in contention.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

I don't think anyone's saying that Vellacott's the finished article, and he's got plenty to work on. TBH most young SHs take too long between picking up the ball and passing the thing - because they're used to being a big fish in a small pond at age grade, and they making breaks around the fringes regularly. It take time to get them over that (I never had that, I was never a big fish, and I think I successfully made about 3 breaks between the ages of 8 and 25). He also needs work on the correctness of his decision making and technique with the box kick.
I'm also agree that I'd have Robson ahead of him, but then so does Eddie by the sound of things (technically he calls them 3rd equal, I think he's lying).

Vellacott's ahead of Maunder, and playing much more rugby than Maunder, whilst not being as ultimately talented (IMO). However, with Nice White coming g in, Maunder is simply not going to be a valid option when Japan comes around, whilst Vellacott's may well be.
I don't see Youngs or Care being in contention for 2023, or either of them co to Hong long after 2019 at international level, is the choice then will be Robson, Vellacott and Maunder. Maunder's had some time with Eddie, and now is t playing g for Ex; whilst this is Vellacott's turn, and he is getting time for Glos.

In the backrow, my opinion needs more salt, but all of Underhill, Curry, Curry and Kvesic (Ellis was also showing well enough before his injury) should be part of the conversation, with Underhill moving to BSF once Robshaw retires. Kvesic has been ignored by successive England coaches, and largely if order by 2 club coaches - so I accept that there's something negative about him that I don't see. I'm a big fan of the Curries, they should certainly my be there ahead of Graham and one of the locks. Personally I'd be starting a Curry ahead of Underhill.

Is Underhill Vs Curry the news Worsley Vs Moody?
Digby

Post by Digby »

It's a good point about Vellacott's box kicking, my impression based on a limited sample is that they're landing in the 10m-20m in field range, against a NZ or Oz back three that would be... problematic, indeed even Ireland might run given that incentive
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Saracens v Northampton- 34.30 in. Mallinder gets a hospital ball, visibly poos himself and coughs the ball up to his would be tackler. Pathetic.
p/d

Post by p/d »

How much fun was the Sarries replacement 8.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

p/d wrote:How much fun was the Sarries replacement 8.
Very. He played a pre-season match with Bedford never to be seen again. Not sure if we found him and Sarries nicked him or it was his trial match for a Sarries contract. Either way, he’s clearly ended up at the correct level.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Well, at least most (possibly all) of the EPS will have at least one less match this season. I suppose being crap in Europe is one way of managing player game time, if not a very good one.
Puja

Post by Puja »

I thought Nathan Earle was good today. Granted, he made himself look better with an early run straight at Mallinder, but it was another performance where I can see what people are making a fuss about. The move to Quins will be big, both in terms of starting time and to show that he can produce this week-in-week-out, when he's not just being handed the opportunities on a plate.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Well that’s nice to hear as a Quins fan. I’d seen him zing a few people in the u20s but more recent viewings (particularly that Barbarians game) were not impressive at all.

I’m worried it will be like going back to the beginning with Yarde.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Is the Sarries worth watching on catch up?

Sounds like Mallinder lived up to his rep
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Mikey Brown wrote:Well that’s nice to hear as a Quins fan. I’d seen him zing a few people in the u20s but more recent viewings (particularly that Barbarians game) were not impressive at all.

I’m worried it will be like going back to the beginning with Yarde.
I thought he was decent in that Barbarians game. He had some poor moments, but he also had some good moments in attack and made a couple of big hits in defence.

I’m not worried. I think he’ll do well for us.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote:Is the Sarries worth watching on catch up?

First 20 minutes or so was exciting. Saints were making a real game of it and both teams were attacking well. Then Sarries started to pull away and Saints ran up the white flag so it was just a procession after that.

Puja
Backist Monk
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Thought Kruis looked a bit more like himself yesterday. Northampton were woeful, but he was just snapping into contact a bit better. He’s had a bit of time off recently, so maybe he was suffering with a knock or emotional/physical tiredness.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Timbo wrote:Thought Kruis looked a bit more like himself yesterday.
I thought the same his ruck ckearance and d at guard was a real step on his offerings so far this season. Long may it continue.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote:Is the Sarries worth watching on catch up?

First 20 minutes or so was exciting. Saints were making a real game of it and both teams were attacking well. Then Sarries started to pull away and Saints ran up the white flag so it was just a procession after that.

Puja
This is a fair summary.
Puja

Post by Puja »

And Manu has pulled out of the Leicester game before kickoff with a tight calf. Of course.

Mind, he's not missing much - frozen pitch, covered in snow and we're losing 0-14 after 12 minutes.

Puja
Backist Monk
Guwuffle

Post by Guwuffle »

Mellsblue wrote:
p/d wrote:How much fun was the Sarries replacement 8.
Very. He played a pre-season match with Bedford never to be seen again. Not sure if we found him and Sarries nicked him or it was his trial match for a Sarries contract. Either way, he’s clearly ended up at the correct level.
He was tremendous fun, from what I've seen Saracens wanted him previously but weren't able to get a visa until Tonga capped him in the autumn, not sure why there was a delay after that.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Not good news on Manu, be nice if he was settled into playing 2 in 3. Still the leading prospect of being England's most threatening player
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Day like today, in a dead rubber and carrying a niggle......definately right to sit it out, even if only minor.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:Day like today, in a dead rubber and carrying a niggle......definately right to sit it out, even if only minor.
aye. Classic day to get a torn calf
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

I know it's poor form on my part but I've been thoroughly entertained by Mallinder all season. There have been moments when he's looked a good young player and then there have been the even more entertaining moments. I'm looking forward to seeing his latest showreel on the highlights on catchup.
Last edited by Beasties on Mon Jan 22, 2018 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TheDasher

Post by TheDasher »

How did Itoje get on at 6 for Sarries?
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Like he always does to be honest. He can "do a job" as the phrase goes but he is still a second row playing flanker. His good points are still good but it's not ideal.