The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

hugh_woatmeigh

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

whatisthejava wrote:Wales Online reporting both Scarlets and Cardiff want to sign Niko

Supposedly Nikos wife is welsh although he seems pretty happy here
He would be mental to leave if wanted by Glasgow. His time at Bath and Exeter was torrid.
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

Still don't get why Exeter took him on, not convinced they'd ever seen him play.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mini Horne signs up again. That makes four key starters alongside Kebble, Johnson and Seymour,vwith McDowell signing his first pro deal. Good to see the locking down core players early.

Whilst at Edinburgh we have announced...
Big D

Post by Big D »

switchskier wrote:Mini Horne signs up again. That makes four key starters alongside Kebble, Johnson and Seymour,vwith McDowell signing his first pro deal. Good to see the locking down core players early.

Whilst at Edinburgh we have announced...
All the above would probably have been easy to deal with Kebble and Johnson have international aspirations that disappear if they leave. The only one or two in that bracket for Edinburgh would be McCallum and Graham.

Edinburgh have some tough budget decisions to make and deals may be dependant on who is coming in.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Just reading the Herald this morning - reporting that Glasgow Council might sell Scotstoun (and a load of other stuff) to foot the equal pay bill they were left with by previous councils.

Could be a chance for the SRU to increase borrowing a bit! They should have bought Ibrox when the old Rangers collapsed.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Disappointing couple of weeks obviously but position in the league is still good and fixtures dont look too bad. Possibly no bad thing not being able to cruise to the end of the season like last year.

More worrying is the lack of impact against Edinburgh. Dunno when Fagersin is back and how much was just a good Edinburgh scrum but Glasgow wont win many big games with the scrum going that badly. Losing Brown and Turner is a big blow.

Otherwise, while Hastings clearly has things to improve on, I think the biggest scope for improvement is the centre partnership. In picking up points in the league, it has been a bonus having so many playing decently at around the same level but to beat the best I want the standouts standing out. It feels at the moment that they are all doing some things well but not offering everything that is expected/hoped for. With Dunbar having issues, the next few weeks could be a big opportunity for Sam Johnson if he can hit last years combo of good lines, hard carrying and decent hands. If Jones is fit next week, I would try and give those two some time together
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Decent team though surprised Hastings is starting again. He can't have had a week off for a while (although he might not actually get much gametime during the 6N so less of a worry)
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Cameo wrote:Decent team though surprised Hastings is starting again. He can't have had a week off for a while (although he might not actually get much gametime during the 6N so less of a worry)
That’ll be him rested v Cardiff in Europe probably.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

It's good to see Hastings has learned from his derby mistakes :roll:
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Just switched on. Seems the re-start disease has spread from Scotland camp. Score a try then do your best to make the 7 points gained into a smaller number.

Anyway, looks like a proper shit-fest so far from what I’ve seen.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Can Hastings pass?
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Does the SRU deliberately look to recruit players displaying signs of concussion before employing them?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Dear me.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Disappointing game but actually more promising bits than in the last two weeks.

One thing that annoys me watching rugby (and particularly Hugo Southwell commenting on the weekend) is that every time a team go for the corner or a scrum and dont score it "proves" that it was the wrong decision (even when they score shortly after). However, if a team go for goal it is never the wrong decision even if they miss.

In the first half Glasgiw turned down two easy kicks and scored both times (albeit after losing the ball once). That is 8 additional points gained. The final decision was a tricky one but arguable we were taking a risk with a possible benefit of only one point whereas going for the try was a lower percentage option for a possible 4 additional league points.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Lads on Thistle pod reckon that Cardiff are sending up their B team, which would be nice if true.

If I’ve got my sums right, a Racing win at Ulster combined with 5 points for Glasgow v Cardiff would be an ideal weekend for the Warriors.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Interesting team. Dont have in a format I can post but Thompson at 10 is the standout.

Weakened Cardiff teams so with a good start should be okay but Glasgow have produced some shock results when the boots been on the other foot
ARM

Post by ARM »

General Zod wrote:Lads on Thistle pod reckon that Cardiff are sending up their B team, which would be nice if true.

If I’ve got my sums right, a Racing win at Ulster combined with 5 points for Glasgow v Cardiff would be an ideal weekend for the Warriors.
Yep, Taff team is muck.

Sure fire Cardiff win...
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Entire Glasgow backrow injured in the first 15 minutes. Impressive stuff. Obviously Wilson won't go off unless dragged off, but there's no replacements anyway.
wanderingjock

Post by wanderingjock »

Glasgow fucked
Big D

Post by Big D »

Glasgow are severely lacking leaders and decision makers in that team.

Calling a long ball on 1st line out, silly penalty from Wilson etc are all cardinal sins playing with the wind.and why the fuck are they playing with the wind in the 1st half?
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Could be good for Embra though. Cheers lads.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Lol. Tommy knows his place is under threat. Makes a great break and absolutely refuses to look around for any support.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

I don't know how Maitland is getting on but Graham should feel aggrieved if he doesn't start v Italy.
wanderingjock

Post by wanderingjock »

Hmmm I know their in the lead, but they look clueless a little