Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Moderator: Puja

Oakboy

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by Oakboy »

Banquo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:39 pm
FKAS wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:30 pm There are some major differences in the sports.
Really :lol: :lol:
Forgive my ignorance. Would he stand to earn a lot more if he gets in?
Mellsblue

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by Mellsblue »

Oakboy wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 6:05 pm
FKAS wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 1:30 pm There are some major differences in the sports.
He’ll be on circa $150k just for turning up to practice. If he can become a good running back he’ll earn $8ish mil and if he becomes a good wide receiver, which I think is nigh on impossible, he’ll earn at least double that.
I’m 99% certain he’ll be a running back.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Emsworth wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:31 pm I can't see it working, his development set up is all wrong. Modern rugby (especially international utilises long phases of play to try to create gaps. NFL is all about brief periods of explosive speed/power. Anyone he's in direct competition with who has identical physical gifts will be much better honed for the NFL than he is.

Also, where is he going to play? Has to be offence because learning basic coverage skills from scratch would take 3-4 years at the very least. Can't play receiver, there are 1,000 high school kids playing receiver who have a much better understanding than him of running a route tree and how to find the soft spots in a zone. So it's running back, the dime-a-dozen, three years and done position of the NFL. Where he has no real experience of how to follow blocks and absolutely none of how to protect a QB's blindside (Yikes!)

Good luck to him, I think he'll need it!
This but if he makes it he’s three years and done having earned multiples more than he’d earn in ten years of rugby.

I love the fact he’s giving it a crack… and not just because he won’t play vs England for a few years.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Banquo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 3:43 pm
Big D wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 2:57 pm Good for him.

He is 22 stuck working in a profession company/club in a sector/league that has seen 3 clubs go burst recently. Why not take a punt on a new career. He's just about 23, can have two years in the international programme and come back at 25 before the RWC if the NFL thing doesn't work out.

I think he will struggle but fair fucks to him for taking a lesser wage in the short term when he could have pissed off to Japan and picked up an easy wage. I would imagine it'll be WR notionally with the aim of a few snaps a game eventually but returning kicks in the main.

It didn't work for Wade who made the practice squad or Hayne who made an active roster. Both were much older though. Jordan Mialata who plays a tough position, was a similar age and no NFL experience when he was drafted picking up a $2.5m, four year deal. His second deal was four years and $40m guarenteed. LRZ will play a totally different position but it is better to try and fail than wish you never tried.
He played NRL didn't he? and was drafted as an Offensive Tackle when he was just 21. Not sure its much of a marker tbh. But all the best to LRZ, think its a bit mad, but its brave for sure.
Mialata did play NRL. Was an example of a young bloke taking a punt on himself.

He won't lose money doing this with a bigger upside.

It's great to see young sportspeople back themselves.
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Mailata didn't play NRL as far as I'm aware. He was playing in age grade League comps before making the switch a few years younger than LRZ.

LRZ will lose money initially compared to what he would earn in Japan or even with Gloucester, assuming he just makes practice squads. The carrot though is a massive payday if he were to beat the odds and make it.
Big D

Post by Big D »

:idea:
Mellsblue wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:05 pm

He’ll be on circa $150k just for turning up to practice. If he can become a good running back he’ll earn $8ish mil and if he becomes a good wide receiver, which I think is nigh on impossible, he’ll earn at least double that.
He's a wee bit on the tall/lean side for a running back so wi be interesting to see how he is used.

The Dolphins run a ay to use Hills speed from WR that would suit LRZs lack of technique. Basically put him in motion from left to right and give him a running start to burn the coverage. That type of ay might work for LRZ.

Will be interesting to see his 40 time.

He (23 come April) and Mialata (21 when he went) are in the right age bracket to do it. Players drafted are in that sort of age group compared to Wade and Gray who were older.

Uphill battle but good luck to him.
Last edited by Big D on Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Margin_Walker wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:31 pm Mailata didn't play NRL as far as I'm aware. He was playing in age grade League comps before making the switch a few years younger than LRZ.

LRZ will lose money initially compared to what he would earn in Japan or even with Gloucester, assuming he just makes practice squads. The carrot though is a massive payday if he were to beat the odds and make it.
should have just said played in Rugby League in Oz for an NRL side at age group level mea culpa
Margin_Walker

Post by Margin_Walker »

Banquo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:35 pm
Margin_Walker wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:31 pm Mailata didn't play NRL as far as I'm aware. He was playing in age grade League comps before making the switch a few years younger than LRZ.

should have just said played in Rugby League in Oz for an NRL side at age group level mea culpa
Yeah, fair point. I guess he technically represented an NRL team. Looking it up they interestingly they didn't really fancy him and offered him a reserve grade contract to play for a feeder team, which triggered him taking a punt elsewhere. Which clearly ended up being an inspired choice
Big D

Post by Big D »

Margin_Walker wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:40 pm
Banquo wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:35 pm

Yeah, fair point. I guess he technically represented an NRL team. Looking it up they interestingly they didn't really fancy him and offered him a reserve grade contract to play for a feeder team, which triggered him taking a punt elsewhere. Which clearly ended up being an inspired choice
He's done remarkably well really. Fair play to the Eaglea for taking a punt in the draft.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Big D wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:33 pm :idea:

He's a wee bit on the tall/lean side for a running back so wi be interesting to see how he is used.

The Dolphins run a ay to use Hills speed from WR that would suit LRZs lack of technique. Basically put him in motion from left to right and give him a running start to burn the coverage. That type of ay might work for LRZ.

He (23 come April) and Mialata (21 when he went) are in the right age bracket to do it. Players drafted are in that sort of age group compared to Wade and Gray who were older.

He is but I just don’t see him being wide receiver, even in a gadget role. I don’t see how any rugby player could be a wide receiver. Hill is a freak in a league of freaks so LRZ would need to be the biggest freak to replicate that. Hill is also one of the best pure receivers in the league without having a genius as a HC and I just don’t see how LRZ could achieve that. There’s just too much to the position, physically and mentally, imo. Perhaps a TE if they get him in the weights room and lock him in there.
He could be a special teams ace, I suppose. And we all know what Jason Bell says about players on special teams.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Margin_Walker wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:31 pm
Will Kelleher is saying £400k extension with Glos or a ‘lucrative’ deal in Japan.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:00 pm

He is but I just don’t see him being wide receiver, even in a gadget role. I don’t see how any rugby player could be a wide receiver. Hill is a freak in a league of freaks so LRZ would need to be the biggest freak to replicate that. Hill is also one of the best pure receivers in the league without having a genius as a HC and I just don’t see how LRZ could achieve that. There’s just too much to the position, physically and mentally, imo. Perhaps a TE if they get him in the weights room and lock him in there.
He could be a special teams ace, I suppose. And we all know what Jason Bell says about players on special teams.
Hill is the second best wide receiver in the league though. He doesn't have the build for running back - he's too lean and would get smashed trying to run through the tackles. So it's wide receiver, cornerback (too technical I reckon) of special teams with a view to playing wide receiver.

Appatently he's 6' 2" and 216lbs (according to Wikipedia). For comparison, Justin Jefferson is 6' 1", 195 lbs. So he's roughly the right size and we know that he's explosive.

He doesn't have to be the best for it to be absurdly lucrative. I can see him carving out a role as the guy who takes the top off defenses and occasionally takes a jet sweep. A Marquies Goodwin, Marquez Valdez Scantling or TuTu Atewll who get contracts for around $4m a year and keep getting employed.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Mellsblue wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:00 pm

Kick returner and a handful of snaps as a gadget player who can take jet sweeps, WR screens, swing passes and "just fucking run" plays. Just his speed alone will attract eyes of the defence. Positionally perhaps like the old wing back.

TE would be horrible for him, too small to block and then it is really the same skillset as a receiver.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

There’s so much more to wide receiver even a ‘take the top off’. There’s players who have played for years that can’t track and catch a deep ball over their shoulders. He’ll need to learn to beat press off the line, he’ll still be expected to block, he’ll need to learn how to find the soft spots in zone etc etc etc. I just don’t see it.
At TE he just needs to be an ok blocker and an ok route runner, and really hit the gym for a year. See Evan Engram.
I agree he’s too tall for rb but of all the problems in the different positions this seems the least problematic, plus it’s the easiest position to play of all the options.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

consensus seems to be he will best case earn a big chunk of money doing some bits and pieces down the pecking order at a franchise... v being a big intl star in RU, but a lot less cash. Small fish massive pool v big fish not massive pool.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mellsblue wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:59 pm There’s so much more to wide receiver even a ‘take the top off’. There’s players who have played for years that can’t track and catch a deep ball over their shoulders. He’ll need to learn to beat press off the line, he’ll still be expected to block, he’ll need to learn how to find the soft spots in zone etc etc etc. I just don’t see it.
At TE he just needs to be an ok blocker and an ok route runner, and really hit the gym for a year. See Evan Engram.
I agree he’s too tall for rb but of all the problems in the different positions this seems the least problematic, plus it’s the easiest position to play of all the options.
I disagree. Running backs need to block or they risk getting their quarterback killed and they have to block better pass rushers. If a WR misses a block then you might get a blown play but the consequences are less catastrophic.

As you say, tracking the deep ball is difficult and lots of pros still struggle with it (MVS bring a prime example). Think that making the right cuts and mastering the play book will be the biggest challenge for him.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

switchskier wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 10:15 pm
Mellsblue wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 8:59 pm There’s so much more to wide receiver even a ‘take the top off’. There’s players who have played for years that can’t track and catch a deep ball over their shoulders. He’ll need to learn to beat press off the line, he’ll still be expected to block, he’ll need to learn how to find the soft spots in zone etc etc etc. I just don’t see it.
I disagree. Running backs need to block or they risk getting their quarterback killed and they have to block better pass rushers. If a WR misses a block then you might get a blown play but the consequences are less catastrophic.

As you say, tracking the deep ball is difficult and lots of pros still struggle with it (MVS bring a prime example). Think that making the right cuts and mastering the play book will be the biggest challenge for him.
We’ll have to agree to disagree but blocking as a rb is pretty much a mental thing, ie picking the right hole to fill and daring to stick a shoulder into a massive bloke who’s got up a head of steam. There’s not a huge amount of technique to it compared to holding up a player for 2/3 secs on the edge. I’ve watched Saquon evolve from terrible to good and it’s little to do with technique.
Tracking and catching a deep ball is just one of many, many skills he’ll need as a receiver and not even in the top 3, imo. It’s probably the most technically challenging and varied position on offence. LRZ has no transferable skills from his time in rugby beyond being quick and as has been seen many times just being quick isn’t a recipe for success.
Ultimately, I think we can all agree on the fact he’s got a massive up hill battle.
p/d

Post by p/d »

Does the NFL still have a place for cheerleaders or does that just reside within the NBA.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

p/d wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 7:18 am Does the NFL still have a place for cheerleaders or does that just reside within the NBA.
Settle down ulrika.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

Impressed by the depth of knowledge on the NFL here. A lot of posters must be watching on a fairly regular basis.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Where do they find the time? Idle retirement i suppose.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Running back to rugby I expect.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Timbo wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 6:29 pm

Running back to rugby I expect.
Ha! Yep.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Limping back.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Probably looking like he's carrying a carpet under each arm. Gatland will love it!

Puja
Backist Monk