EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Digby

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Digby »

Gloskarlos wrote:
Digby wrote:There's not a lot in that which would make me think he's as fast as Jacob Rowan, though he'd have a fair bit more bulk/power. That he's got both power and pace might see him stand out more than just the pace
I've never seen Rowan accelerate like Polledri, not even close - but you are right it is the blend that catches the eye.
I'm still left feeling when we've got Billy, Morgan, Hughes, Mercer, Curry, Clifford... we're not missing out much by not having Polledri's carrying. We can pick carriers if we want, the problem seems to be more we don't want to, and/or we think Robshaw, and Lawes count as main carriers rather than support
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

Digby wrote:
Gloskarlos wrote:
Digby wrote:There's not a lot in that which would make me think he's as fast as Jacob Rowan, though he'd have a fair bit more bulk/power. That he's got both power and pace might see him stand out more than just the pace
I've never seen Rowan accelerate like Polledri, not even close - but you are right it is the blend that catches the eye.
I'm still left feeling when we've got Billy, Morgan, Hughes, Mercer, Curry, Clifford... we're not missing out much by not having Polledri's carrying. We can pick carriers if we want, the problem seems to be more we don't want to, and/or we think Robshaw, and Lawes count as main carriers rather than support
Only Billy really makes good breaks though, and that is through power in the main rather than footwork. I know Polledri may not be able to do the same on the international scene but I reckon he made more clean (or certainly eyecatching) breaks this year in the prem than the others you mention.

Anyway - I agree England has an embarrasment of riches in the back row ;) very interested to see how Polledri goes against the Scots tomorrow in an international
Digby

Post by Digby »

Gloskarlos wrote:
Digby wrote:
Gloskarlos wrote:
Only Billy really makes good breaks though, and that is through power in the main rather than footwork. I know Polledri may not be able to do the same on the international scene but I reckon he made more clean (or certainly eyecatching) breaks this year in the prem than the others you mention.

Anyway - I agree England has an embarrasment of riches in the back row ;) very interested to see how Polledri goes against the Scots tomorrow in an international
Glaws have a lot of carriers, which gives him more space.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Raggs wrote:Owen Slot of the times posted an image of his article, showing just how massively Ford's individual attacking threat, and try assists have dropped since 2015. I've tried to point out that all those stats are not a condemnation of Ford's attacking threat, but rather the fact he's gone from a midfield of Burrell+JJ to one of Farrell+JJ. If the defence aren't interested in others, there's nowhere to go.
Just seen it. The stats do drop off a cliff but, as you say, no context to the fact he had a proper IC, albeit Burrell, and that his role will have changed under a new regime.
I had a quick look at the 2015 6N and Ford is top points scorer, Joseph is top try scorer and Ford has a kicking % of 83.33. I see why we moved away from it now. Fark me.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Bring back the Burt.
padprop

Post by padprop »

Can't help but think that Ford and Farrell has become the rugby equivalent of Lampard and Gerrard.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Critical bit of information from today’s Times. Chris Wyles has penned a piece on our new (old) scrumhalf and I can confirm his nickname is Wiggy.
belgarion

Post by belgarion »

padprop wrote:Can't help but think that Ford and Farrell has become the rugby equivalent of Lampard and Gerrard.
More like Scholes and Lampard. 1 a very good playmaker & quiet guy who just got on with playing, the other good at taking penalties
& hyped up to world class level by the media
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent
Stom

Post by Stom »

belgarion wrote:
padprop wrote:Can't help but think that Ford and Farrell has become the rugby equivalent of Lampard and Gerrard.
More like Scholes and Lampard. 1 a very good playmaker & quiet guy who just got on with playing, the other good at taking penalties
Why can't we keep it in rugby? Barnes or Andrews. Charlie or St. Johnny...

And Lampard was bloody good.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Stom wrote:
belgarion wrote:

Because they were accommodated in the same team when it really should’ve been one or the other. Barnes and Andrew and Wilko and Hodgson (after a short lived experiment) weren’t.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Polledri.....
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Mellsblue wrote:Polledri.....

lol exactly what I was thinking. Nope not needed at all wouldn't get any where near the england team. :?
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

No surprise. A good player, playing well.

That one still stings for me.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:Critical bit of information from today’s Times. Chris Wyles has penned a piece on our new (old) scrumhalf and I can confirm his nickname is Wiggy.
I knew it. In your face Diggle
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote:
belgarion wrote:

Andrew. And Frank was goal hanger average
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

twitchy wrote:

lol exactly what I was thinking. Nope not needed at all wouldn't get any where near the england team. :?
Me too,. Our embarrassment of riches in the back row obvs today
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Polledri has apparently been tied to Italy since U20’s, so best to drop the idea he could have played for England.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Timbo wrote:Polledri has apparently been tied to Italy since U20’s, so best to drop the idea he could have played for England.
I think that’s accepted but you’ve missed the point
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Banquo wrote:
Timbo wrote:Polledri has apparently been tied to Italy since U20’s, so best to drop the idea he could have played for England.
It’s clearly not and no.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

So Eddie has said that some players (plural) have played their last match for England.
Assuming this isn't just "things that Eddie says", who would that be?

Hopefully: Hartley, Cole, Haskell, Wigglesworth..

Sod's law: Launchbury, Armand, Ford, Joseph
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Timbo wrote:
Banquo wrote:
It’s clearly not and no.
It’s been mentioned numerous times that he’s no longer EQP and has never wanted to be EQP. The point is that a player who has come through the English academy system achieved more in 60 mins against Scotland than the entire England team, crying out for carriers, achieved in 80mins. There’s a certain irony there, whether you’ve missed the point or not.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Which Tyler wrote:So Eddie has said that some players (plural) have played their last match for England.
Assuming this isn't just "things that Eddie says", who would that be?

Hopefully: Hartley, Cole, Haskell, Wigglesworth..

Sod's law: Launchbury, Armand, Ford, Joseph
The hopefuls seem about right. Don’t even joke about Launch, Ford and Joseph........you just get the feeling he and/or Borthwick doesn’t/don’t rate Launch. You also get the feeling he’s looking for an excuse to drop Joseph.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Timbo wrote:
Banquo wrote:
It’s clearly not and no.
See Mells. Pretty much everyone has said it’s a bugger we missed the boat, and the.point is that it’s a shame as he looks good
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Timbo wrote:
Banquo wrote: I think that’s accepted but you’ve missed the point
It’s clearly not and no.
It’s been mentioned numerous times that he’s no longer EQP and has never wanted to be EQP. The point is that a player who has come through the English academy system achieved more in 60 mins against Scotland than the entire England team, crying out for carriers, achieved in 80mins. There’s a certain irony there, whether you’ve missed the point or not.

There have been numerous posts lamenting the fact Eddie hasn’t picked him. Twitchy’s post half way up the page implies this also.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Timbo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Timbo wrote:
It’s clearly not and no.

There have been numerous posts lamenting the fact Eddie hasn’t picked him. Twitchy’s post half way up the page implies this also.
Fair enough. Those posts, that included me, were quite a few weeks ago. It’s been accepted for a while he’s lost to Italy, doesn’t mean we can’t lament what he couldn’t brought.