The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

septic 9

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:A decent if unspectacular win. From what I saw Kennedy and McDonald were good.
team fought hard and wanted it more. Agree on Kennedy and McDonald. Best Kennedy has played since his loan spell to Glasgow a few years back. McDonald back from injury is a huge boost, he has been in top form this last year, and in that form a top player. Richie Gray really has his work cut out to get in a fully fit 23.

Also back row were all over the park and all over Cardiff.

Lee Jones MoM. He played well enough, a couple of good interventions but I think the MoM was more about his first game in 18months after injury. Sadly he lost time when he was in peak form and as a winger its probably downhill from here at his age. Good player.

Of the others, Glenn Bryce put in a big performance I thought, seems to want that 15 shirt. More he plays the more confident and better he gets. Gives Glasgow a problem with Jones again :shock: who in turn scored a good interception try after replacing Jones I think. Maybe wing next for him :lol:

Worrying thing for Glasgow is that dominated possession and territory, but seldom looked like scoring - no cutting edge.
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote:
Big D wrote:Apparently Glasgow are looking at a young SQ 10 from Munster.
the lad who started against them is apparently SQ. I doubt they have any chance of signing him, Given Sexton is done, the rest Burns to nail a squad place and the elder Byrne looking out of his depth, him and the younger Byrne look to be Ireland's future at 10. Both will be stitched up on deals soon enough that we can't afford.

Logical hat off, optimist's on. He'd be a great signing
It was the Irish media who ran the story so I would expect it is an agent looking to get a deal with Munster done.

From what the report says the IRFU aren't negotiating with players yet and Glasgow are offering a senior deal. Sounds exactly like agent talk.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

septic 9 wrote:
Big D wrote:Apparently Glasgow are looking at a young SQ 10 from Munster.
the lad who started against them is apparently SQ. I doubt they have any chance of signing him, Given Sexton is done, the rest Burns to nail a squad place and the elder Byrne looking out of his depth, him and the younger Byrne look to be Ireland's future at 10. Both will be stitched up on deals soon enough that we can't afford.

Logical hat off, optimist's on. He'd be a great signing
I thought that the IRFU weren't negotiating contracts atm due to Covid uncertainty, which I guess gives the SRU a window in which to be aggressive. Would be odd for him though to switch his current position for a battle with Hastings at Glasgow. Maybe this is just his agent trying to put pressure on the IRFU.

Would be disappointed if the SRU weren't doing their due diligence though.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote:
?
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

septic 9 wrote:
switchskier wrote:
?
If he's got a Scottish mum and is out of contract then of course the SRU should be talking to him. Even forcing the IRFU to pay him more has some upside. It would be surprising and disappointing if they weren't trying to woo him.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote:
septic 9 wrote:
switchskier wrote:
?
If he's got a Scottish mum and is out of contract then of course the SRU should be talking to him. Even forcing the IRFU to pay him more has some upside. It would be surprising and disappointing if they weren't trying to woo him.
well yes, but not sure what that has to do with due diligence

FWIW, we have made an offer. Stories like this happen every season at this time with Irish players (and others, but guaranteed with Irish ones out of contact). And virtually always have the same outcome. Only thing nearly as guaranteed is the Boks joining the 6N story.
Some will recall a while back that the Glasgow MD said they had tried to sign a young very promising SQ 10, but he had decided to stay where he was. There are not too many around fitting that description.
This is an agent plant,
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

He's a decent player - got a good level of confidence to him too. Edinburgh would seem the more natural fit as think he would be first choice there. He'd get plenty of game time at Glasgow though.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Cameo wrote:He's a decent player - got a good level of confidence to him too. Edinburgh would seem the more natural fit as think he would be first choice there. He'd get plenty of game time at Glasgow though.
No back of sound mind and other offers would sign up to be coached by Cockerill and Hodge.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:He's a decent player - got a good level of confidence to him too. Edinburgh would seem the more natural fit as think he would be first choice there.
his obvious potential is way higher than decent, and while maybe he should be 1st choice at Edin if he went there, but he wouldn't be. Under Cockerill you have to spend 3 years on the bench while he proves he didn't sign a tumshie in VDW. Cockerill is the most conservative coach around, younger players only get a chance when his hand is absolutely forced
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

What’s the deal with Robbie Ferguson?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote:What’s the deal with Robbie Ferguson?
7s players have always been available to pro teams if not needed for the 7s circuit.
7s players still in contract are available to the pro teams and will be aligned with one. Ferguson has always been aligned with Glasgow
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Sorry I meant more is he a prospect? I haven’t seen him play. Maybe he’s just a 7s guy filling in, but it sounds like he’s earning his keep at the moment.

I was hoping McDowall might have kicked on a bit more in the last 18 months, seems to have stalled slightly.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Mikey Brown wrote:Sorry I meant more is he a prospect? I haven’t seen him play. Maybe he’s just a 7s guy filling in, but it sounds like he’s earning his keep at the moment.
ok. He's been ok. At 27, hardly a prospect now. Same age as Bennett. But was once thought by a some in the know to be a better prospect. If you don't know his story, its worth looking it up quite remarkable
https://www.scotsman.com/sport/rugby-un ... er-1524503
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

That's gutting. Gutsy five minute play to score the "winning" try (and nice that is was Matthews after he screwed up a five metre lineout a few minutes earlier) and then Brandon Thomson misses the conversion from in front of the posts to win it.

Kennedy decent again and McDonald in the first half. Grant Stewart was really good and Dobie was sharp when he came on.

First loss to the Dragons in forever though (at least at home).
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:That's gutting. Gutsy five minute play to score the "winning" try (and nice that is was Matthews after he screwed up a five metre lineout a few minutes earlier) and then Brandon Thomson misses the conversion from in front of the posts to win it.

Kennedy decent again and McDonald in the first half. Grant Stewart was really good and Dobie was sharp when he came on.

First loss to the Dragons in forever though (at least at home).
it was brain dead performance. Dragons fanned out and Glasgow went through the same patterns time and again - 2/3 rucks then out the back line, whether good ball slow ball fumble ball. So Drags defence not stretched and challenged. Yet when Glasgow took the ball up through the pack they made easy inroads so often, for precisely the same reason - Drags defence fanned out, leaving ruck and fringe poorly defended.
Half a brain spots this and keeps the ball up the jumper when we have it and pump it long when we don't, press their lineout (with McDonald, Bean, Harley and Wilson that's always a good option). Or draw the defence in then go wide - earn the right it used to be called.
Stewart was simply outstanding, McDonald again very good and Wilson simply worked his socks off yet again. But as a team, not good enough and brain dead
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Glasgow started ok against the racists, but I fear for them now the first line-out/ maul try has happened.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

General Zod wrote:Glasgow started ok against the racists, but I fear for them now the first line-out/ maul try has happened.
proper gubbing, no excuses.

Exeter are a top team in top form. Glasgow are neither. Season's a write off.

And whoever I was arguing with about Sam Johnson's pace - I need to step back. It stood out yesterday that he has clearly lost a yard since his last injury, looks as if he has over done the rehab and is carrying prop thighs now
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

septic 9 wrote:
General Zod wrote:Glasgow started ok against the racists, but I fear for them now the first line-out/ maul try has happened.
proper gubbing, no excuses.

Exeter are a top team in top form. Glasgow are neither. Season's a write off.

And whoever I was arguing with about Sam Johnson's pace - I need to step back. It stood out yesterday that he has clearly lost a yard since his last injury, looks as if he has over done the rehab and is carrying prop thighs now
Wasn’t me - I agree. His face was funny in the run up to the last or last but one try. They were all defending on the line and I could swear he rolled his eyes to the heavens!
AL.

Post by AL. »

Adam Hastings off to Gloucester, apparently at the end of the season....
AL.

Post by AL. »

Then he reads the two other threads saying it...
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

AL. wrote:Adam Hastings off to Gloucester, apparently at the end of the season....
official now. Hastings statement on official Warriors website. Was made a good offer but chance to play back in the AP etc (and shed loads more cash no doubt). No comment from Warriors coach or management, which is odd.

Glasgow are in meltdown, totally fucked for the forseeable. And with Edin next, so it Scotland and Scottish Rugby. Dark days I fear unless someone pulls a very very big rabbit out of a hat
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yep. Couldn’t even bring myself to post an opinion on the other thread about it. Looking very bleak.

I guess you could say Hastings and Harris playing together is a positive of sorts.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

I guess that he's taken a look at where Glasgow are likely to be at over the next few years and decided that now is the time to move. He could feasibly be behind Russell for Scotland and only playing in a struggling Glasgow team for a while, his stock is unlikely to get higher.

Big issues for Glasgow at ten now unless they bring someone in. Horne's fine as a stopgap but not as your number 1 for the season and Brandon Thomson has never convinced. Now or never for Ross Thompson I guess.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote:I guess that he's taken a look at where Glasgow are likely to be at over the next few years and decided that now is the time to move. He could feasibly be behind Russell for Scotland and only playing in a struggling Glasgow team for a while, his stock is unlikely to get higher.
he will have made the decision he thinks is best for him, financially and rugby wise. I've no doubt money was a big factor. Rugby wise, he has gone to a club beginning a total rebuild. DoR sacked, new unproven coach, put out somewhere between a 2nd and 3rd XV in the HC first game, so intention of competing this season, and TBH in the 3 games in the AP so far this season there is no reason to be confident they will be in the HC next season. So he will be hoping to be rested a lot during the diddy cup.

It seems a very strange decision to go to Glos. So have to wonder if they and only they got close to what he and his agent think is his market value. He has been very good for Glasgow in patches, but rarely in bigger games. Very effective against lesser teams
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Anyone seen much of Ross Thompson. A lot of hopes suddenly seem to be on him but I've not personally seen anything of him or heard that much until the last few weeks.

Horne/Brandon Thompson definitely isn't a recipe for contending for trophies.