Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Moderator: Puja

Margin_Walker

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by Margin_Walker »

Farrell announced by Racing.
francoisfou

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by francoisfou »

“L’homme de glace” cometh! A two-year contract, apparently.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Margin_Walker wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:34 pm Farrell announced by Racing.
square peg meet round hole/head.

I predict Burt gone within the year
Stom

Post by Stom »

Brilliant news
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Banquo wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:08 pm
Margin_Walker wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 6:34 pm Farrell announced by Racing.
square peg meet round hole/head.

I predict Burt gone within the year
It honestly wouldn’t surprise me if Farrell takes them up a level as a team, you’d say their weakness is more in the forward pack but they do seem to lack a certain grit and he’ll have class all around him in the back division. Equally he might be shown up as a complete robot.

Either could be entertaining.
francoisfou

Post by francoisfou »

I wonder if now that Soggy Backside’s captain’s departure to Racing is confirmed that he’ll up the pressure on the RFU to relax its eligibility regulations because I’m sure Farrell won’t be content with his number of caps won and will strive to be the most English capped player of all time.
Puja

Post by Puja »

I would like to open by stating that this is from a group chat that I belong to and therefore could be complete and utter toss. But, it is in the thread title, so it definitely belongs here:
Rumours coming out last week from good sources at Glos, Arundell wasn’t happy with Farrell joining and pushing for a move to Gloucester as a replacement for LRZ
Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

francoisfou wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:55 pm I wonder if now that Soggy Backside’s captain’s departure to Racing is confirmed that he’ll up the pressure on the RFU to relax its eligibility regulations because I’m sure Farrell won’t be content with his number of caps won and will strive to be the most English capped player of all time.
I wouldn't've thought so - Fazlet's clearly doing this to get away from the pressure and scrutiny that he's under in England and it'd undermine that somewhat if he then made himself available during his sabbatical.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Good luck to him. England need to wean themselves off this apparent dependency on Farrell at some point so it could well be mutually beneficial. If England have totally disintegrated without having Farrell bark at them he can come back in a couple of years.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

I just hope that Borthwick has the judgement and bottle to make it clear that Farrell is finished with England. Reading anything else into his 2 year contract gives Smith and Smith no incentive for the future. It bears a dose of similarity with keeping an injury-prone Tuilagi in the mix and wondering why no decent no 12 has stepped up.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Yeah, they’re not going to change the eligibility rules for someone who is on indefinite leave from test rugby. If he wants to play again he can come back, although my hunch is that we won’t see him playing in or for England again.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:06 pm
francoisfou wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 7:55 pm I wonder if now that Soggy Backside’s captain’s departure to Racing is confirmed that he’ll up the pressure on the RFU to relax its eligibility regulations because I’m sure Farrell won’t be content with his number of caps won and will strive to be the most English capped player of all time.
I wouldn't've thought so - Fazlet's clearly doing this to get away from the pressure and scrutiny that he's under in England and it'd undermine that somewhat if he then made himself available during his sabbatical.

Puja
Agreed. Get away from the media pressure, nice pay cheque and with the Eurostar and the airport close by getting back to England is quick and easy should he want to.

Makes life interesting for Sarries recruitment. Paddy Jackson rumours to the fore again?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Puja wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:03 pm I would like to open by stating that this is from a group chat that I belong to and therefore could be complete and utter toss. But, it is in the thread title, so it definitely belongs here:
Rumours coming out last week from good sources at Glos, Arundell wasn’t happy with Farrell joining and pushing for a move to Gloucester as a replacement for LRZ
Puja
Flat out turns down England for the sake of his development, but the idea of being in a team/squad with Faz has him leaving Paris to join bottom of the table Gloucester?

It certainly would be dramatic.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Arundell grew up near Bath so perhaps he fancies returning to that part of the world on what LRZ was to be offered.

James Cronin rumoured to be leaving Tigers to return to Munster.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Mikey Brown wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:43 pm
Puja wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:03 pm I would like to open by stating that this is from a group chat that I belong to and therefore could be complete and utter toss. But, it is in the thread title, so it definitely belongs here:
Puja
Flat out turns down England for the sake of his development, but the idea of being in a team/squad with Faz has him leaving Paris to join bottom of the table Gloucester?

:lol:
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:43 pm
Puja

It is entirely likely that it is complete mince. However, if (and it's a big if) one were to take the unfounded rumour of utter antipathy between them as gospel, when Arundell turned down England, it seemed likely that Farrell would be the dominant figure for the national side for the next few years. Farrell leaving for Racing would change the equation on both sides, as would the significant salary opened up by LRZ's Yankee adventures.
FKAS wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:51 pmJames Cronin rumoured to be leaving Tigers to return to Munster.
Bye. Can't say he hasn't worked hard, but such an incredible step down from Genge and, whatever his salary was, we were overpaying for the quality that he was able to provide. Hopefully we have an eye on a good replacement - crying shame we couldn't intercept Brantingham on his route south.

Puja
Backist Monk
Captainhaircut

Post by Captainhaircut »

Delighted Farrell move has been confirmed. I was worried his current utterly dreadful form would see them have second thoughts. If we could get Arundell back as well, that would be superb- although not sure Gloucester would be in any way a good move for him currently.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Who do you think sarries will replace faz with?
16th man

Post by 16th man »

FKAS wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:41 pm
Puja wrote: Mon Jan 22, 2024 8:06 pm

Puja
Agreed. Get away from the media pressure, nice pay cheque and with the Eurostar and the airport close by getting back to England is quick and easy should he want to.

Makes life interesting for Sarries recruitment. Paddy Jackson rumours to the fore again?
Some sort of club mission statement to be as as dislikable as possible?
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Perfect time for Farrell to go. Cant blame him for taking up a good offer. While i'm certainly no fan he has given 100% to England and does merit some appreciation of his undoubted commitment and professionalism.

Leaves England with the opportunity for a reset which SB should welcome.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

fivepointer wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 7:59 am Perfect time for Farrell to go. Cant blame him for taking up a good offer. While i'm certainly no fan he has given 100% to England and does merit some appreciation of his undoubted commitment and professionalism.

Leaves England with the opportunity for a reset which SB should welcome.
Your last sentence is key. Whilst accepting that simply dumping players over a certain age is impractical, the question must be asked about 'ceilings'. Apart from Itoje, how many players aged over 26 have the capacity to play up to the higher level required to improve the team? So many, including Farrell, have given their all but that 'all' is not good enough as results in successive 6Ns have shown.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

twitchy wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 6:49 am Who do you think sarries will replace faz with?
They need a big money tight-head, so they’ll probably settle for some low paid dross like Goosen or something.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Ceilings you say? Please explain.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2024 8:27 am Ceilings you say? Please explain.
I mean that the likes of George, Farrell, Ford, Tuilagi, Care, Youngs, Daly etc. have played to the best of their ability and that best has not produced collective team performances of a high enough standard. It may be that younger players like Dan, Smith, Smith, JVP, Quirke, Arundel etc., if given decent runs, have higher ceilings of playing performance. Or not - but since the older ones' ceiling was not good enough there is nothing to lose by playing the younger ones.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Very cynical point of view & probably unfounded, but can’t help but wonder if Farrell crying off England citing ‘mental health’ was a ploy so he could go abroad and escape criticism for doing so.

Doesn’t seem like a Farrell thing to do, but honestly neither does not playing for England because of trolls and a bit of abuse.