The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

septic 9

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:Anyone seen much of Ross Thompson. A lot of hopes suddenly seem to be on him but I've not personally seen anything of him or heard that much until the last few weeks.

Horne/Brandon Thompson definitely isn't a recipe for contending for trophies.
its way beyond worrying about contending for trophies now. Several more key players ooc and club not even started looking at next season's contacts yet according to their Chief Exec last week (Hasting likely was made one after he said he had an offer. Same as when DTH left to Scarlets).
They are are now desperate on 2 counts. Qual for next seasons HC and doing enough to convince others to sign on again. I'm not optimistic
ARM

Post by ARM »

Chickens coming home to roost.

Pre-pandemic there was plenty of evidence that the commercial realities were polarising the ‘club’ game with the revenues and therefore players gravitating to the big leagues in France and England. I thought the the CVC Pro14 monies (and potentially CVC 6N monies to come (note this was pre-pandemic view) could act as a sticking plaster and decelerate the inexorable shift. However e pandemic has acted as an accelerant, blowing a massive hole in the SRU balance sheet.

It’s quite depressing but if Glasgow and Edinburgh are to be accepted as academy/development sides then should this extend to coaching development ie do we go the whole hog and ditch the expensive foreign coaching talent (eg topping up the pensions of subprime Welsh coaches)?
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote:
switchskier wrote:I guess that he's taken a look at where Glasgow are likely to be at over the next few years and decided that now is the time to move. He could feasibly be behind Russell for Scotland and only playing in a struggling Glasgow team for a while, his stock is unlikely to get higher.
he will have made the decision he thinks is best for him, financially and rugby wise. I've no doubt money was a big factor. Rugby wise, he has gone to a club beginning a total rebuild. DoR sacked, new unproven coach, put out somewhere between a 2nd and 3rd XV in the HC first game, so intention of competing this season, and TBH in the 3 games in the AP so far this season there is no reason to be confident they will be in the HC next season. So he will be hoping to be rested a lot during the diddy cup.

It seems a very strange decision to go to Glos. So have to wonder if they and only they got close to what he and his agent think is his market value. He has been very good for Glasgow in patches, but rarely in bigger games. Very effective against lesser teams
Probably a few things; money, been sold the "big picture" of their rebuild, money, the part of the country he obviously likes having been at Bath, money, highly thought of if unproven coach, money and not Danny Wilson coaching.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I get that Danny Wilson wasn't an exciting appointment as it was internal but are people not getting a bit too down on him? Wasn't it seen as a big coup signing him at the time?

On the development teams therefore get development coaches idea, isn't the opposite the case? While we need to bring through young coaches, our pack of teams and need to bring through young talent means we need the best coaches we can afford (who have a record of development of youngsters or at least some kind of aptitude).
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:I get that Danny Wilson wasn't an exciting appointment as it was internal but are people not getting a bit too down on him? Wasn't it seen as a big coup signing him at the time? .
Its quite ridiculous. You'd think he caused the pandemic. He wasn't universally lauded by Glasgow fans. Seen as a Scotland cast off and thus useless because he went from Scot Assistant coach to Glasgow head coach. The same idiots said the same thing when Toonie moved from Scotland assistant coach to Glasgow head coach. Both were promoted. Pro team head coach is a much bigger gig and much more difficult than Scotland assistant coach
He inherited a bag of of shite from fucked-off-early Rennie, too many aging players and not enough younger recruitment or development, then had his recruitment killed and players wages slashed. Then an extended set of internationals with players in a bubble and not released at all initially, then Monday games which meant they couldn't be. gets his players back less than a week before the HC 1st round.
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote:
Cameo wrote:I get that Danny Wilson wasn't an exciting appointment as it was internal but are people not getting a bit too down on him? Wasn't it seen as a big coup signing him at the time? .
Its quite ridiculous. You'd think he caused the pandemic. He wasn't universally lauded by Glasgow fans. Seen as a Scotland cast off and thus useless because he went from Scot Assistant coach to Glasgow head coach. The same idiots said the same thing when Toonie moved from Scotland assistant coach to Glasgow head coach. Both were promoted. Pro team head coach is a much bigger gig and much more difficult than Scotland assistant coach
He inherited a bag of of shite from fucked-off-early Rennie, too many aging players and not enough younger recruitment or development, then had his recruitment killed and players wages slashed. Then an extended set of internationals with players in a bubble and not released at all initially, then Monday games which meant they couldn't be. gets his players back less than a week before the HC 1st round.
I don't think that is exactly fair on weeg fans.

Danny Wilson was thought of as a decent forwards coach based off his work with the Dragons, Scarlets and a year in the Championship with Bristol. He then did ok as Cardiff HC making no impact in the league (two 7ths and a 4th in a conference) and won the challenge cup which deserves some credit. But he didn't exactly leave Cardiff and move on to bigger and better things. He was headed to Wasps as forwards coach until the SRU called and stumped up money to buy him out. In his two years as Scotland forwards coach the forwards looked less organised than they did under McFarland. That is possibly down to how good a coach McFarland is.

So even before Covid fully made things worse it is understandable why Glasgow supporters would be concerned about such an appointment regardless of whether the SRU see it as a promotion or not.

I listed Danny Wilson last as I don't think it would have been a big part of Hastings money grab* decision but who is coaching him every day would have played a small part.

* tongue firmly in cheek, I don't blame him at all.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Yep, Wilson gets a mulligan for this term at Glasgow - of course he does. I’ve stated on here more than once that Weeg’s current situation is a long time in the making. But not ridiculous to question Wilson’s credentials based on his Scotland tenure. The pack regressed under his watch - personnel or coaching? You decide. No disgrace to be inferior to Dan McFarland who I think is an excellent coach but it’s interesting that John Dalziel, with less experience seems to be making a better fist of it. Causation? Scant evidence at this stage and again you decide.

Anyway all a bit of a sideshow. I wanted to spur some debate (glad I got some) on the future purpose of the pro teams. Again, the debate on whether they are development sides for the Scottish team or designed to be independent entities successful in their own right is not new. But it is relevant in the post pandemic financial wasteland of Scottish rugby.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

ARM wrote:Yep, Wilson gets a mulligan for this term at Glasgow - of course he does. I’ve stated on here more than once that Weeg’s current situation is a long time in the making. But not ridiculous to question Wilson’s credentials based on his Scotland tenure. The pack regressed under his watch - personnel or coaching? You decide. No disgrace to be inferior to Dan McFarland who I think is an excellent coach but it’s interesting that John Dalziel, with less experience seems to be making a better fist of it. Causation? Scant evidence at this stage and again you decide.
For Scotland you are spot on about McFarland, absolute top class forwards coach. Glasgow made great strides under him. And regressed under Rennie and his forwards coach - the latter being the real dump on Glasgow of an ex Scotland forwards coach, who got both jobs as a result of being a mate of Scott Johnson. Rennie's Glasgow pack only picked up again via serendipity. They had to sign an emergency tighthead pop who then took over the coaching of the pack, and of course was tapped by Rennie to go with him to Aus.

McFarland continued his good work with Scotland, when he left Glasgow had Humphries stealing a wage at Glasgow and the Edin pack regressing under Cockerill. Wilson had to paper over those cracks in short spells with the players
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Big D wrote:

Danny Wilson was thought of as a decent forwards coach based off his work with the Dragons, Scarlets and a year in the Championship with Bristol. He then did ok as Cardiff HC making no impact in the league (two 7ths and a 4th in a conference) and won the challenge cup which deserves some credit. But he didn't exactly leave Cardiff and move on to bigger and better things.
he walked from Cardiff (where he had a much smaller budget than Glasgow or Edin) because he allegedly did not want to continue as a head coach at that time. He certainly did not want to continue there in the midst of a Welsh union/club meltdown and more budget cuts. Wasps could not get him on board quick enough, not sure they even had a vacancy.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

game v Lyon off.
20 players self isolation after being in contact with covid disease riven Exeter squad last week. Baxter had previously called for an end to AP weekly covid testing.
Likely outcome is Glasgow will be deemed to have not fulfilled the fixture and game awarded to Lyon 28-0

No doubt its Danny Wilson's fault. Or Dodson's
Big D

Post by Big D »

septic 9 wrote:
Big D wrote:

Danny Wilson was thought of as a decent forwards coach based off his work with the Dragons, Scarlets and a year in the Championship with Bristol. He then did ok as Cardiff HC making no impact in the league (two 7ths and a 4th in a conference) and won the challenge cup which deserves some credit. But he didn't exactly leave Cardiff and move on to bigger and better things.
he walked from Cardiff (where he had a much smaller budget than Glasgow or Edin) because he allegedly did not want to continue as a head coach at that time. He certainly did not want to continue there in the midst of a Welsh union/club meltdown and more budget cuts. Wasps could not get him on board quick enough, not sure they even had a vacancy.
IIRC Wasps only has Andy Titterall supporting Dai Young at that time. Either way he was hardly tearing up trees with that Cardiff team. Some times there is no need for polarising views. It isn't hard to see the the reasoning behind why done Glasgow fans were not and are not keen on him. He certainly deserves a chance to win them round but that doesn't mean they were wrong to harbour concerns. Richard Cockerill wasn't universally seen as a good appointment amongst Edinburgh fans either.

I think this all started because I listed Wilson as last in a long line of potential reasons for Hastings leaving. It wasn't me really having a dig at him and now I've ended up trying to support some Glasgow fans. 2020 has truly won.
ARM

Post by ARM »

septic 9 wrote:game v Lyon off.
20 players self isolation after being in contact with covid disease riven Exeter squad last week. Baxter had previously called for an end to AP weekly covid testing.
Likely outcome is Glasgow will be deemed to have not fulfilled the fixture and game awarded to Lyon 28-0

No doubt its Danny Wilson's fault. Or Dodson's
On current form 0-28 is a good result.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Haha - I didn't really mean to spark a huge debate on Wilson but interesting comments. I was very underwhelmed by his appointment but just think no one has been proved right or wrong yet.

With only three (including Scotland) international teams, a major focus has to be on having top coaches in place as I think that makes a massive difference to players' development - more so than facilities etc. I'd also want them somewhat aligned - all with their own ideas but if you are trying to play quick rugby, Cockerill sticks out like a sore thumb.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Seen a few online murmers Glasgow have upped their offer for Healey. Can see it coming down to money v international ambition for the lad.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Under current Irish rules, could they play him if he signed for Glasgow? I can’t remember if they still have one of those selection criteria stipulations where you can only play for them if you play your club rugby in Ireland.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

General Zod wrote:Under current Irish rules, could they play him if he signed for Glasgow? I can’t remember if they still have one of those selection criteria stipulations where you can only play for them if you play your club rugby in Ireland.
depends who you are

They can of course pick who they want anytime, nothing is set in stone. But the only exception ever made was for Sexton. It would be made clear to Healy that if he moves outside Ireland he can kiss goodbye to Irish caps unless and until he returns. If his top target is international rugby, then he decides which is he best path. Short to medium term, we will be offering more cash I strongly suspect
Big D

Post by Big D »

Glasgow now have cases and next Glas v Edi game is off.
Big D

Post by Big D »

A few rumours over the weekend that Weir could be on his way home.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Glasgow apparently to make formal complaint to EPRC about lack of covid protocols at Exeter etc - bench and officials not wearing masks or social distancing. Think they want to establish if there were other issues within Exeter or their players' control which could have prevented this mess. Won't change much but for the good of rugby a shot across the bows is no bad thing IMHO

Also a few folk quoting Baxter mouthing off about having to do weekly testing some time back, wanting it to stop
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Big D wrote:A few rumours over the weekend that Weir could be on his way home.
Just seen this but it doesn’t really say anything one way or the other.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/55461021
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

A couple of sentences at the end of this nothing article though.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dailyr ... 222358.amp

Talks are on-going, but he makes it sound like he has absolutely no preference or say in the decision.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Great chance for a few youngsters with McClean and Thompson starting and Lambert and Ollie Smith on the bench.

Not seen any full games from him but these highlights from Thompson are fun.

Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Sam Johnson and Jamie Dobie signed up. Both potentially important players. I do think Glasgow should probably let one of their top two scrumhalves go though. Great to have all of them but when budgets are tight, it is a lot of resource concentrated in one position.

How about a swap of Horne for Crosbie or Bradbury?

p.s. I suspect that isn't how it works
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:Sam Johnson and Jamie Dobie signed up. Both potentially important players. I do think Glasgow should probably let one of their top two scrumhalves go though. Great to have all of them but when budgets are tight, it is a lot of resource concentrated in one position.

How about a swap of Horne for Crosbie or Bradbury?

p.s. I suspect that isn't how it works
it isn't :lol:

How it works seems to be like this

Edinburgh reject a player, if any good SRU ask Glasgow to pick him up. Lee Jones eg. And tunr him back into a very good player
Edinburgh want a player, they scweam and scweam until the SRU give in. Eg Bennett, Weir, Pyrgos, Bhatti. Then often ruin them or rapidly jettison them

On Horne, I hope he stays as he is very different from the other 9s. A style of no use to Edinburgh under Cockerill. Anyway Edin allegedly signing Vellacot
Big D

Post by Big D »

Horne is at an age he really needs to step up a level. 25, 26 by the end of the season and not really pushing for a regular starting berth for club or country.

Doesn't mean he should move to Edinburgh, wouldn't trust those coaches with him, but he is in danger of being stuck on the bench for what should be his peak years.