EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

twitchy

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by twitchy »

Puja wrote:Mitchell as in John Mitchell?! Really?

Is this good or bad?
Puja

Post by Puja »

twitchy wrote:
Puja wrote:Mitchell as in John Mitchell?! Really?

Is this good or bad?
You know, I'm genuinely not sure anymore. On the one hand, he's got a ridiculous amount of experience, has coached both all over the world and in England, and was a great success in the England setup before. On the other, he has had several impressive failures, especially in his recent CV, and I can't help but think about his time in charge of the US national side where he refused to relocate from South Africa, spent as little time at his job as he possibly could and effectively commuted for games.

If he's willing to engage fully and put his all in, he could be an asset. If he's collecting a pay cheque at arms length (or worse, manouevring to try and take Eddie's job out from under him), I think I'd rather have had Joe Worsley.

Puja
Backist Monk
Digby

Post by Digby »

Would Mitchell be a defence coach or an admission our forwards coach lacks some experience?
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Jacob Umaga has been picked for the Auckland Mitre10 squad. He was with Eden rugby club over the summer (which could suggest why he wasn't at the jrwc), and even though he broke his arm early on, and has only been back for a few games for Eden, has been part of at least 2 of Aucklands warm up games (started one at 15, and scored a try). At first Wasps were looking to him to play 12, I think on the hope he was just going to develop PI size as he got older, but he's stayed fairly slim, so was moved to 10. Looked good in the AW games I saw on youtube, nice no look passes right upto the defence, hopefully we'll be able to see some mitre 10 games.
Tigersman

Post by Tigersman »

It's quite funny how slight Jacob Umaga is considering his mom was a Rugby league player and we all know about his Dad side of the family.
I'm still not sold on him (Granted I'm biased) he was still pretty shocking at the U20 JRWC and I think their have been better performing centres and fly halfs since then espcially Butler and Smith.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this stint in New Zealand might have him seriously considering his options about picking England or New Zealand, I don't see him getting much game time with wasps this season outside of AWC games.
10. Sopagao and Searle both will be available all season.
12. Gopperth, Le Bourgeois with JdJ being able to cover 12 with ease.
and I suspect the New Zealand super rugby style might suit him more, and the blues are pretty desperate for a 10.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Tigersman wrote:It's quite funny how slight Jacob Umaga is considering his mom was a Rugby league player and we all know about his Dad side of the family.
I'm still not sold on him (Granted I'm biased) he was still pretty shocking at the U20 JRWC and I think their have been better performing centres and fly halfs since then espcially Butler and Smith.

Honestly I wouldn't be surprised if this stint in New Zealand might have him seriously considering his options about picking England or New Zealand, I don't see him getting much game time with wasps this season outside of AWC games.
10. Sopagao and Searle both will be available all season.
12. Gopperth, Le Bourgeois with JdJ being able to cover 12 with ease.
and I suspect the New Zealand super rugby style might suit him more, and the blues are pretty desperate for a 10.
I can't see NZ wanting him. The Blues may be desperate for a 10, but he's not a shadow of the player Gatland is and, without a sudden surge, won't make it as a top-level pro.

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Anyone seen much of Connor Collett? His signing’s flown under the radar, but he’s got an interesting story having spent the last few years honing his craft in NZ: https://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/news ... ns-falcons
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

English flanker who played in NZ? Fiver says he is in the EPS by the 6N.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:English flanker who played in NZ? Fiver says he is in the EPS by the 6N.
No bet.

He'll have a hard enough time just getting into the Newcastle back row though; they've got a lot of competition there with Wilson, Graham, Nagusa, Welch, and Chick all jockeying for places.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Has Latu finally decided to start taking his pension then?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote:Has Latu finally decided to start taking his pension then?
In a manner of speaking: https://www.premiershiprugby.com/2017-2 ... -to-japan/

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Watson probably out of the RWC - re-ruptured the achilles; not sure if this is the 3rd rupture in a few months or if the 2nd one was a false report.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/45187611
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

This is sad news for Watson and England. I reiterate an earlier comment that Jones must plan for none of the injured players recovering - which, arguably, he may have done with the Daly/Brown nonsense against SA.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Ffs. We can’t afford to lose world class players. Especially when he represents approx 33% of them.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

If it's a 2nd tear, then it really ought to be lesson learned, write off the 18/19 season (and RWC) and just let it take as long as it takes.
If it's a 3rd year, then seriously consider retirement options.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

You can fully expect to be playing top level rugby 7-9 months after a ruptured Achilles. He had further surgery at the start of July, which gives him 14 months before the WC. Time is still on his side.

The fact that it’s a re-rupture shouldn’t change his processes, time scales or the specifics of his rehab, unless they were being reckless the first time round.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Good news doesn't stop coming.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Oh shit. Really gutted for him. He had become a seriously classy player. What a shame.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote:Oh shit. Really gutted for him. He had become a seriously classy player. What a shame.
Did you use a random platitude generator for this post?
Puja

Post by Puja »

And Joseph is confirmed as being out for the AIs. Marvellous.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I’m going to go full on Twitchy if this carries on.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Mellsblue wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:Oh shit. Really gutted for him. He had become a seriously classy player. What a shame.
I do often finding myself typing inane shit like that on here that I’d never actually say out loud. I’m not sure what the cause of that is.

Anyway, thoughts and prayers to the friends, family and supporters of Anthony Watson.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
I do often finding myself typing inane shit like that on here that I’d never actually say out loud. I’m not sure what the cause of that is.

Anyway, thoughts and prayers to the friends, family and supporters of Anthony Watson.

It's probably because it's difficult to come up with some thing original to say in response to yet another serious injury.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I feel a bit like Comical Ali sometimes with the injury stuff, as i’m habitually more optimistic than the board consensus...BUT the injury situation is never as bad as feared when we get round to an AI series or 6N’s etc. Likes of Billy and Manu very frustrating as they’re X factor players, but generally we’ve not been in bad shape over the last few years. Also, I find the reporting on England players’ injuries to be pretty disingenuous, ruling players out of games very prematurely. Makes better headlines I guess.

Local Bath press saying Joseph expecting to be back in October by the way. Case in point.