Billy has far better hair, too.
twitchy

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by twitchy »

Robshaw out for 8 weeks, knee surgery.
Puja

Post by Puja »

twitchy wrote:Robshaw out for 8 weeks, knee surgery.
Oh FFS. Rhodes now guaranteed to play.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Get ready for 6. Shields 7. Rhodes 8. Ross.

Glorious.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Digby wrote:
Puja wrote:
Digby wrote:I'm flat out not interested in Farrell at 12, and I'd happily contend Twelvetrees has shown more at 12 at test level than both Farrell, Manu and Slade
I know you're not a Farrell fan, but that's strikingly unfair.

Puja
Why?

Both can pass well, but both make mistakes, with the caveat a large number of Billy's mistakes came late in games where we were playing catchup and he was getting little to no help from attacking talent either side of him such as Farrell and Barritt , and our back row selections were as now limited in supplying fast ball

Both have excellent work rates

Better decision maker is Farrell, but that relates more to the stand off role

Better carrier is Billy

Better tackler is Billy

Better breakdown work comes from Billy

Better kicker is Farrell
The bolded bit is incredibly selective memory IMO - Billy continually failed to deliver against the big teams and his mistakes were definitely not mostly about playing catch-up. I would also note that Fazlet's mistakes have been getting fewer and further between (at least until last weekend).

Puja
Backist Monk
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Puja wrote:
Digby wrote:
Puja wrote:
I know you're not a Farrell fan, but that's strikingly unfair.

Puja
Why?

Both can pass well, but both make mistakes, with the caveat a large number of Billy's mistakes came late in games where we were playing catchup and he was getting little to no help from attacking talent either side of him such as Farrell and Barritt , and our back row selections were as now limited in supplying fast ball

Both have excellent work rates

Better decision maker is Farrell, but that relates more to the stand off role

Better carrier is Billy

Better tackler is Billy

Better breakdown work comes from Billy

Better kicker is Farrell
The bolded bit is incredibly selective memory IMO - Billy continually failed to deliver against the big teams and his mistakes were definitely not mostly about playing catch-up. I would also note that Fazlet's mistakes have been getting fewer and further between (at least until last weekend).

Puja
With his apparent status as captain-in-waiting is there any evidence that Farrell is a good defensive organiser? 36 is a pretty good defender and tackler.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Farrell is certainly loud, and if in doubt that his default is go forward and apply pressure is more useful than to dither, not much to evidence the defensive shape around him is great, but plenty of times it'll have been Barritt doing that and it's bloody hard to tell much from watching TV
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Mikey Brown wrote:Get ready for 6. Shields 7. Rhodes 8. Ross.

Glorious.
I hope not.

Surely even Eddie wouldn’t pick a back row with two debutants and a player with about 90mins actual game time across two caps.

Personally I’d go for Wilson, Curry and Morgan (IMO that’s the most balanced unit we can field) but I think there’s almost 0 chance of that.

Realistically though, our back row options now have very little test experience at all.

Wilson and Curry have about 5 caps, Shields and Armand have a couple each and that’s about it, unless Morgan is recalled.

I know must of us want to see a recall for Kvesic but that doesn’t change things much as he only has about 3 or 4 caps!
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Puja wrote:
twitchy wrote:Robshaw out for 8 weeks, knee surgery.
Oh FFS. Rhodes now guaranteed to play.

Puja
Come kick off, I’ll supported whoever is picked but I really dislike Rhodes. Do we really want a dirty player who’ll literally pull hair, stamp, elbow and neck roll his way through a game?

If he’s picked, I think he’ll be a Timmy Harrison anyway - in other words - not up to it.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Mellsblue wrote:Billy has far better hair, too.
I’m not sure more equals better TBH ...
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

I still think Harrison could be a useful player, but I think he lost his head in his England debut. Needs to be brought along better. Though there's other options anyway.

Really annoyed about Willis now.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

I will be distressed if Rhodes gets in ahead of Mark Wilson and one or two others. Haskell is fit. He would provide a bit of experience in a unit that is going to be very short of that commodity.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Haskell May be fit, but he’s been poor, or at best very average for Saints so far.

If I were Eddie, I’d be engagoing full on fuc% it mode and picking an experimental side. I doubt I’d like his version of experimental though.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Scrumhead wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Billy has far better hair, too.
I’m not sure more equals better TBH ...
Next you’ll be telling me Nicky Clarke and Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen have terrible hair.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Itoje plays more at 6 for Saracens than in the 2nd row. He is an experienced international with leadership qualities. I can see Jones picking him at BS now. I'd definitely prefer him there to Shields or Rhodes.

I'd pick Armand, Curry and Morgan.

I can see Jones picking Itoje, Curry and Shields.
morepork

Post by morepork »

Oakboy wrote:Itoje plays more at 6 for Saracens than in the 2nd row. He is an experienced international with leadership qualities. I can see Jones picking him at BS now. I'd definitely prefer him there to Shields or Rhodes.

I'd pick Armand, Curry and Morgan.

I can see Jones picking Itoje, Curry and Shields.

Most inexperienced international back row ever?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I can’t wait for the wall to wall Tom Wood interviews, exposes and opinion pieces in the media tomorrow.

I’m trying to pick a backrow but I can’t find one that doesn’t fill me with dread. I think I’d go:
6. Wilson
7. Curry
8. Mercer
and then hide behind the sofa.
Renniks

Post by Renniks »

Wilson
Curry
Morgan

With Any of kvesic, mercer, or Armand on the bench for me
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Mike Rhodes is someone, a bit like Armand, who i’d be confident could hold his own at international level straight away. The bloke is one of the biggest hitters in a team of big hitters. Very physical, quick, good around the setpiece.

I’d go;

6. Rhodes
7. TCurry
8. Morgan
20. Armand.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Is he quick? I haven't paid him much attention. Just seemed like a big lump who likes the rough stuff, both legal and non-legal.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Anyone up for a double curry?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

While I'm here, anyone finding the recent Cipriani jizzfest extra annoying? Is it just because Healey is now involved?

http://sport.bt.com/cipriani-miracle-pa ... 4302876645

I mean I'd call that a good solid decision/pass, but miracle?
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Mikey Brown wrote:Is he quick? I haven't paid him much attention. Just seemed like a big lump who likes the rough stuff, both legal and non-legal.
He is. Surprisingly so when he gets going.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote:While I'm here, anyone finding the recent Cipriani jizzfest extra annoying? Is it just because Healey is now involved?

http://sport.bt.com/cipriani-miracle-pa ... 4302876645

I mean I'd call that a good solid decision/pass, but miracle?
It's not just you. I like Cipriani, but the media (and some fan) furore about him makes it really hard when he can do one thing in a game and be described as "dominant" or make a simple pass and be "magical".

It's less annoying than the pundit-Fazlet love though.

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Timbo wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:Is he quick? I haven't paid him much attention. Just seemed like a big lump who likes the rough stuff, both legal and non-legal.
He is. Surprisingly so when he gets going.
I don’t care if he’s reasonably quick - he’s a liability from a disciplinary point of view and is incredibly hard to like.

I predicted ages ago that Eddie would pick him as soon as he could, but I really don’t like it.