Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Moderator: Puja

Oakboy

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by Oakboy »

Mikey Brown wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 3:44 pm
Puja wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 11:16 am Ludlam finally confirmed as leaving Saints.

Puja
It’s a shame with the England 6 berth now being vacant in Lawes’s absence. I feel like Ludlam has had some fantastic games for England but never seemed to nail down the 6 shirt. It feels like it would have been his for the taking if he was staying in England.
I wonder if you'll be saying something similar about Earl in 6 months' time.
Mikey Brown

Re: Transfer news, rumours, suggestions, frenzied speculation, and outright lies - Season 2023-24

Post by Mikey Brown »

I can't say I understand the comparison.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Kevin Sinfield being linked with Quins to replace Jerry Flannery who is set to join the Boks per the Telegraph.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Mikey Brown wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2024 10:11 am I can't say I understand the comparison.
Some fantastic games then slide down the performance scale?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Mmm. I mean I wasn't a big Earl fan at all but he certainly took his chance in the world cup. Didn't stand out on Saturday particularly but I'd say he's got some credit in the bank. I think he's limited as an 8, but equally we haven't seen if he can cut it as a 7 while not being given the role/platform of primary carrier. Again it just feels like we're wasting time picking him at 8.

I didn't notice a drop-off with Ludlam's performances especially, as much as he just felt like a stand-in for Lawes, Curry etc. even if he ended up playing very well. His combination of a big engine, carrying, tackling, jackalling and being a lineout presence would be very welcome at 6, but it looks like it's taken Roots all of 1 game to secure that spot.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Louis Lynagh going to benetton and playing for italy.
Puja

Post by Puja »

twitchy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:58 pm Louis Lynagh going to benetton and playing for italy.
I'd say that's a good move all around. Decent player, but I don't see him making a long England career and, if he can do well with Italy, more power to him.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 1:15 pm
twitchy wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 12:58 pm Louis Lynagh going to benetton and playing for italy.
I'd say that's a good move all around. Decent player, but I don't see him making a long England career and, if he can do well with Italy, more power to him.

Puja
Injuries blighted last season for him. Hasn't reached the heights of the season before yet this season. Was linked to Sarries so from a Quins perspective could have been worse :lol:

Best of luck to him with the Italian national side.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

BREAKING: Glasgow Warriors confirm the signing of Patrick Schickerling from Exeter Chiefs.

Schickerling was once called into the England squad but it was soon realised that the Namibian prop wasn’t English qualified.

Didnt he go on tour and was one injury away from being called into the 23? He did look a genuinely good prospect for a short time.
Puja

Post by Puja »

fivepointer wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 3:24 pm BREAKING: Glasgow Warriors confirm the signing of Patrick Schickerling from Exeter Chiefs.

Schickerling was once called into the England squad but it was soon realised that the Namibian prop wasn’t English qualified.

Didnt he go on tour and was one injury away from being called into the 23? He did look a genuinely good prospect for a short time.
Yup. Would've qualified on 5 years residency this year, IIRC. Guess he wasn't that dedicated to England after all.

Also, "soon realised" is doing a lot of heavy lifting there, given that he was in the squad for the Barbarians game and for the whole Australia tour and it was only discovered after he gave an interview to a paper where he revealed that people kept asking him on the internet how he was qualified for England and he wanted to get on the record that he'd lived here for 3 years so people would stop asking. It appears our checking process was limited to, "Not asking the player at all" and "assuming he knew the regs correctly", which is about the same level as the Spanish RFU.

Entirely possible he thinks he's Scottish qualified now, mind.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

He's fallen down the pecking order at Chiefs. He's played two PRC games all season.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

According to BBC Leicester radio show the reason for Alan Dicken absence as Tigers attack coach is (summed up by someone on the Tigers iffy):

Dickens was charged with something relating to his time at the RFU as England U-20s coach. Those charges resulted in two hearings and in the end nothing was upheld against him. There are no ongoing investigations. Tigers "want him to come back" but there has been a "breakdown in communications".
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

George Hendy signed on for more at Saints. Good player who I expect will be a first team regular next season
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Telegraph reporting he wasn't offered a new deal at Quins.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Surprising on one hand, but firmly behind Murley, David and Beard now, with a couple of promising younger guys.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mikey Brown wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 4:39 pm Surprising on one hand, but firmly behind Murley, David and Beard now, with a couple of promising younger guys.
Believable if he signed his previous contract when he was a Premiership winner, on the cusp of England, in a time of a higher salary cap, and was unwilling to take as much of a pay cut as Quins needed to fit him in.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Heard there's been a breakdown in the relationship between player and coaches, due to conditioning and ego (from the coaches' perspective, at least)
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Which Tyler wrote: Thu Feb 08, 2024 7:00 pm Heard there's been a breakdown in the relationship between player and coaches, due to conditioning and ego (from the coaches' perspective, at least)
Intriguing. He certainly seems quite head strong but can’t say I know much of his character. Any more you can say? Or where this came from?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Cheers for that. Hard to deny that theory lines up with his appearances since his return. I guess we’ll have to wait and see.

As long as he doesn’t go to Saracens I wish him all the best.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Sounds like a young man who started to believe the hype.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Ultimately it’s all speculation. I’d prefer he wasn’t leaving and I’d definitely prefer him not to be leaving under a cloud. OTH, he’s no longer an automatic pick and a move to Italy will almost certainly enhance his prospects of test rugby. He could be an excellent addition for the Italian side.
Slater582

Post by Slater582 »

Margin_Walker wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:57 am Marchant has signed for Sarries next season according to the Mail
Marchant has denied that.
Danno

Post by Danno »

Slater582 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2024 10:57 pm
Margin_Walker wrote: Wed Jan 31, 2024 7:57 am Marchant has signed for Sarries next season according to the Mail
Marchant has denied that.
Hope that's the case. #biasedfuckSarries
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Telegraph has Pepper Newcastle => Bath, presumed Cloete replacement
TRP has Lawrence => Quins IF they lose Esterhuizen - which seems a little optimistic (plausible, but optimistic) TBH, I think he's enjoying himself at Bath, and is grateful for the 2nd chance. You've got to think that Bath would fight hard to keep him as well.
Not to mention that (I think) he's under contract.