EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Mikey Brown

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Mikey Brown »

Stom wrote:
Epaminondas Pules wrote:
fivepointer wrote:Always prepared to cut a player some slack if they can come up with a game changing moment and do something other players probably couldn't, but Dombrandt can be exasperating at times.
The missed tackles, something i've noticed the last few times i've seen him, are particularly annoying.
Aye. At club level I'm seeing Simmonds and Mercer with the game changing type moments, but with less of the down aspects.

It is annoying, as you look at Dombrandt's positives and they are really exciting. He doesn't just run into people and try to dominate, like Nathan Hughes, but picks intelligent lines, hits weak shoulders at pace and then has the ability to absorb his surroundings and make good decisions. That is the kind of stuff that translates into international level.
To be fair, it's Dombrandt's 3rd season as a pro rugby player...

His work rate has improved dramatically, his fitness levels are on a different planet to when he arrived...

I have faith he can iron out some of his issues and turn into an international class player. The fact we don't need to pick him now speaks wonders for the quality we have available, as he is quality, just a little rough around the edges.
I wouldn't say he's miles off where Morgan/Vunipola were at an earlier point in their careers with consistency/concentration.

It seemed about 50/50 to me but EJ clearly saw something in BV that he thought he could fix (and did). I'm just hoping he can do something similar with Dombrandt.

We definitely won't be suffering to much in the backrow if he doesn't make the step up, but he has something unique that none of the other options offer.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Manu limping off having to be supported.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Lawes off too. Crossposting from the match thread, but while it's horrible to say it, Lawes being injured might be a good thing for England, as it'll reduce the temptation for Eddie to solve the conundrum of "too many good EQ flankers" by picking a lock there.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

twitchy wrote:Manu limping off having to be supported.
Just tuned back in to the commentator saying it could be 8-9 months??? Didn't hear what the actual injury was though.
Shiny

Post by Shiny »

Puja wrote:Lawes off too. Crossposting from the match thread, but while it's horrible to say it, Lawes being injured might be a good thing for England, as it'll reduce the temptation for Eddie to solve the conundrum of "too many good EQ flankers" by picking a lock there.

Puja
And could open the door for another lock in the squad, hopefully it’s Hill (who as far as I know doesn’t fill in in the back row).
The green, black and gold army.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Shiny wrote:
Puja wrote:Lawes off too. Crossposting from the match thread, but while it's horrible to say it, Lawes being injured might be a good thing for England, as it'll reduce the temptation for Eddie to solve the conundrum of "too many good EQ flankers" by picking a lock there.

Puja
And could open the door for another lock in the squad, hopefully it’s Hill (who as far as I know doesn’t fill in in the back row).
It’s presumably already Itoje, Launch, Hill and then a replacement for Lawes if he is injured? I guess Ewels may still be ahead in Eddie’s eyes.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Mikey Brown wrote:
twitchy wrote:Manu limping off having to be supported.
Just tuned back in to the commentator saying it could be 8-9 months??? Didn't hear what the actual injury was though.
They believe it’s an Achilles injury.

I am in no way an expert, but what I do know is that a good tell for a ruptured achilles is if you immediately have to flatten your foot, as if flexing your toes towards your knee. I just rewatched it and that’s exactly what Manu did.

*IF* he’s ruptured his achilles, at his age and the kind of athlete he is, that is just about the worst injury he could get.
Shiny

Post by Shiny »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Shiny wrote:

Puja
It’s presumably already Itoje, Launch, Hill and then a replacement for Lawes if he is injured? I guess Ewels may still be ahead in Eddie’s eyes.
Isn't Launch injured at the moment as well? Might have only been slight though.
The green, black and gold army.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

If I were Eddie…
I’d be looking to play the R6N, 8N and 6N21 with an enlarged EPS squad, and rotating to bring in the new kids, rather than just for injuries. Also, assuming that Manu and Lawes are out for the count.

LHP: Marler, MVunipola, Genge, Obano
HK: George, LCD, Dunn (*Barbeary)
THP: Sinckler, Stuart, Surely-I’m-Missing-Someone-Obvious-Erm-Williams? (*Street)

LK: Itoje, Launchbury, JHill, Ewels, Isiekwe (*Kpoku)
BR: any 8 from: TCurry, Underhill, JWillis, THill, Earl, Ludlam, BVunipola, Dombrand, Mercer, SSimmonds, BCurry, WEvans (*TWillis)
23+4

SH: Spencer, Robson, Mitchell/Maunder/Randall
FH: Ford, Farrell, JSimmonds (*Vunipola)

CE: Slade, Joseph, LJames, Devoto, Lawrence/Marchant (*Redpath)
WG: May, Nowell, Thorley, McConnochie/Cokanasiga (*Ibitoye)
FB: Watson, Daly (*Malins)
17+4
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Shiny wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
Shiny wrote: And could open the door for another lock in the squad, hopefully it’s Hill (who as far as I know doesn’t fill in in the back row).
Isn't Launch injured at the moment as well? Might have only been slight though.
Yep. Calf injury.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Which Tyler wrote:If I were Eddie…
I’d be looking to play the R6N, 8N and 6N21 with an enlarged EPS squad, and rotating to bring in the new kids, rather than just for injuries. Also, assuming that Manu and Lawes are out for the count.

LHP: Marler, MVunipola, Genge, Obano
HK: George, LCD, Dunn (*Barbeary)
THP: Sinckler, Stuart, Surely-I’m-Missing-Someone-Obvious-Erm-Williams? (*Street)

LK: Itoje, Launchbury, JHill, Ewels, Isiekwe (*Kpoku)
BR: any 8 from: TCurry, Underhill, JWillis, THill, Earl, Ludlam, BVunipola, Dombrand, Mercer, SSimmonds, BCurry, WEvans (*TWillis)
23+4

SH: Spencer, Robson, Mitchell/Maunder/Randall
FH: Ford, Farrell, JSimmonds (*Vunipola)

CE: Slade, Joseph, LJames, Devoto, Lawrence/Marchant (*Redpath)
WG: May, Nowell, Thorley, McConnochie/Cokanasiga (*Ibitoye)
FB: Watson, Daly (*Malins)
17+4
Can't pick Ibitoye, he's in France.
Stom

Post by Stom »

BTW, I kinda agree with the sentiment, but I'd go with something more like:

Mako, Marler, Genge, Obano
George, LCD, Dunn (Barbeary)
Itoje, Launch, JHill, Ewels (Kpoku, Moon)
TCurry, Underhill, Willis, THill, Earl, Billy, Mercer
Spencer, Youngs, Mitchell
Ford, JSimmonds, Smith
Slade, Farrell, Joseph, Devoto, Marchant
May, Nowell, Watson, Daly, Thorley, McConnochie, Coka, Malins

Yes, I wouldn't pick Farrell at 10 with those 10s available.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Stom wrote:Can't pick Ibitoye, he's in France.
Yup - forgot that.
No other wingers particularly putting their hands up in that <22 bracket. Might bring TdG in as well as Malins as a FB aoprentice, or just leave it with 7 apprentices
Stom wrote:BTW, I kinda agree with the sentiment, but I'd go with something more like:
Brave - going with no Tight heads at all :)

ETA, just realised how old Malins is - not sure I like the idea of a 23 year old apprentice - maybe props, but not one of the quick little buggers
Stom

Post by Stom »

Which Tyler wrote:
Stom wrote:Can't pick Ibitoye, he's in France.
Yup - forgot that.
No other wingers particularly putting their hands up in that <22 bracket. Might bring TdG in as well as Malins as a FB aoprentice, or just leave it with 7 apprentices
Stom wrote:BTW, I kinda agree with the sentiment, but I'd go with something more like:
Brave - going with no Tight heads at all :)

ETA, just realised how old Malins is - not sure I like the idea of a 23 year old apprentice - maybe props, but not one of the quick little buggers
Oops.

Obviously it’s the same as you: Sinckler, Stuart and anyone else.

Malins another example of the vaunted Sarries finishing school... breakthrough when they’re old enough to collect their pension.
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

Re: wing, Loader? Looks good
padprop

Post by padprop »

Pretty crazy to think how many players could be provided by the bottom two teams in the prem this year:

1) Mako
2) George
3)
4) Itoje
5)
6)
7)
8) Vunipola

9) Youngs
10) Ford
11)
12) Farrell
13)
14)
15)

More whats crazy is that the starting 9 and 10 could likely be from the team that should have been relegated.
Danno

Post by Danno »

Indeed - Daly is now at Sarries, Manu and May only just left Tigers, Wilson is on loan from Falcons while they languish in the Championship etc.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Times reporting that Tuilagi’s recovery is a matter of ‘months rather than weeks’.
16th man

Post by 16th man »

padprop wrote:Pretty crazy to think how many players could be provided by the bottom two teams in the prem this year:

1) Mako
2) George
3)
4) Itoje
5)
6)
7)
8) Vunipola

9) Youngs
10) Ford
11)
12) Farrell
13)
14)
15)

More whats crazy is that the starting 9 and 10 could likely be from the team that should have been relegated.
Either a sign of strength in depth or absolute proof our players are spread too thinly over too many clubs.

Probably the latter.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Of the 8 (if you include Daly), Ford would be the only one selected if I was choosing (and he'd be under close scrutiny).
16th man

Post by 16th man »

Oakboy wrote:Of the 8 (if you include Daly), Ford would be the only one selected if I was choosing (and he'd be under close scrutiny).
You're dropping Itoje?
Stom

Post by Stom »

16th man wrote:
Oakboy wrote:Of the 8 (if you include Daly), Ford would be the only one selected if I was choosing (and he'd be under close scrutiny).
You're dropping Itoje?
Just to second that.

And George, too? And Mako?
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Stom wrote:
16th man wrote:
You're dropping Itoje?
Just to second that.

I'd not pick any players from Saracens (regardless of how good they are).
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

:shock: :? :shock: :?
Stom

Post by Stom »

Oakboy wrote:
Stom wrote:
16th man wrote:
You're dropping Itoje?
Just to second that.

I'd not pick any players from Saracens (regardless of how good they are).
So you're the kind of person who'd chop off your nose to spite your face.