EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

jngf

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by jngf »

Mellsblue wrote:
Puja wrote:
fivepointer wrote:Looks like May & Roko lined up for the wing spots.

Squad to be cut tomorrow.
Great news, although I fully expect one or both of them to get injured this week just to make me cry.

Surprised that no-one's posted that the England camp are confident that Lawes will be okay to play SA. That's very good news, as I'd be worried about either Launch/Attwood or Launch/Ewels (for different reasons).

Puja
The Times have him as 'struggling' and 'must train fully by tomorrow if he is to be considered'. They also have Jones sharing your issue with the possibly combinations should he not be fit. To take the tale of woe to its nth degree they hint that Wood will be in the side of Lawes is not.
I've had the feeling all along that Wood would was going to get a starting slot, and an injury to Lawes would give Eddy the justification to say "we need to shaw up or line up etc.etc." In that eventuality I expect Wood would make his 'formal' openside debut and Robshaw staying put at 6 (which was probably the way they should have been played back in Burt era). If this is the case it will be interesting to see if Wood can make more of an impact in this position than as a blindside at test level.

Also Springboks may well play Roelof Smit at openside who is similar size to Louw.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

jngf wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Puja wrote:
Great news, although I fully expect one or both of them to get injured this week just to make me cry.

Surprised that no-one's posted that the England camp are confident that Lawes will be okay to play SA. That's very good news, as I'd be worried about either Launch/Attwood or Launch/Ewels (for different reasons).

Puja
The Times have him as 'struggling' and 'must train fully by tomorrow if he is to be considered'. They also have Jones sharing your issue with the possibly combinations should he not be fit. To take the tale of woe to its nth degree they hint that Wood will be in the side of Lawes is not.
I've had the feeling all along that Wood would was going to get a starting slot, and an injury to Lawes would give Eddy the justification to say "we need to shaw up or line up etc.etc." In that eventuality I expect Wood would make his 'formal' openside debut and Robshaw staying put at 6 (which was probably the way they should have been played back in Burt era). If this is the case it will be interesting to see if Wood can make more of an impact in this position than as a blindside at test level.

Also Springboks may well play Roelof Smit at openside who is similar size to Louw.
LOL. Where did that come from?

In fairness to Wood, or just blind optimism, Haskell was crapper than him for pretty much the whole Burt era. Maybe Jones is capable of getting a lot more from him.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote:
jngf wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: The Times have him as 'struggling' and 'must train fully by tomorrow if he is to be considered'. They also have Jones sharing your issue with the possibly combinations should he not be fit. To take the tale of woe to its nth degree they hint that Wood will be in the side of Lawes is not.

In fairness to Wood, or just blind optimism, Haskell was crapper than him for pretty much the whole Burt era. Maybe Jones is capable of getting a lot more from him.
It's a fair point but one I'm confidant of being disabused of come Sunday, should the worst happen and he starts.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Mellsblue wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
jngf wrote:

It's a fair point but one I'm confidant of being disabused of come Sunday, should the worst happen and he starts.
The reports are firm that Lawes is fit so all that now remains is whether Wood will be the bench back-rower. I'd pick Hughes, Beaumont or Morgan ahead of him.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Mikey Brown wrote:
jngf wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: The Times have him as 'struggling' and 'must train fully by tomorrow if he is to be considered'. They also have Jones sharing your issue with the possibly combinations should he not be fit. To take the tale of woe to its nth degree they hint that Wood will be in the side of Lawes is not.

It would be ironic if Tom Wood were to usurp Young James at 7.
Weren't Wood's first few games for England pretty impressive..?.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

I think it was more in the context of where england were as a team. He looked decent which at the time was some thing to get excited about.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

twitchy wrote:I think it was more in the context of where england were as a team. He looked decent which at the time was some thing to get excited about.
This pretty much sums it up.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

twitchy wrote:I think it was more in the context of where england were as a team. He looked decent which at the time was some thing to get excited about.
Hmmmm.
Eddie clearly knows more about how to motivate his squad than I ever will. And I thought I knew a fair bit.
bitts

Post by bitts »

Pity Eddie didn't ban Wood from doing interviews....

Think he will probably start on Sat, simply because he's experienced and offers something in the lineout. Hopefully some back rowers will come through and push him out by the end of the Six Nations (or the Hask comes back strong). Just don't think he offers enough at this level.

In other Northampton Flanker related news: Ludlum got his first start in the Anglo-Welsh cup this weekend. Too early to start pinning our hopes on him?
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

I saw the highlights and it looked like Ludlam was playing 8.

We're they playing him and Gibson as dual open sides a la Pooper? I hope so because he's very unlikely to shift Picamoles from the side!
jngf

Post by jngf »

Scrumhead wrote:I saw the highlights and it looked like Ludlam was playing 8.

We're they playing him and Gibson as dual open sides a la Pooper? I hope so because he's very unlikely to shift Picamoles from the side!
Frankly Gibson or Ludlam would be a step up at openside from the Status Quo Test Squad :)
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Lawes definitely fit.

Pretty sure Wood will be in the 23. I'm not a huge fan but I can't say that his inclusion would have me seriously put out. Its a stop gap selection after all. He is an experienced player and is in very good form.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

fivepointer wrote:Lawes definitely fit.

Pretty sure Wood will be in the 23. I'm not a huge fan but I can't say that his inclusion would have me seriously put out. Its a stop gap selection after all. He is an experienced player and is in very good form.
Do you see any difference from when he and Robshaw played together before? If he starts, Wood will wear 7 presumably but I can't see why that should raise the combined level beyond mediocre. I can just about understand his presence on the bench to offer lineout options, especially if Lawes has to come off. Even for that, I'd rather have Hughes or Beaumont (though with Lawes being fit he is now surplus to requirements theoretically).
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I'm expecting a 6 - 2 bench split for this one. I reckon Hughes to start and Attwood, Wood and Harrison on the bench. Care and Daly as backs subs.

The only dilemma that I think Eddie might have with that is weighing up whether Harrison as an extra back row or Te'o's physicality might make more impact...
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Oakboy wrote:

Do you see any difference from when he and Robshaw played together before? If he starts, Wood will wear 7 presumably but I can't see why that should raise the combined level beyond mediocre. I can just about understand his presence on the bench to offer lineout options, especially if Lawes has to come off. Even for that, I'd rather have Hughes or Beaumont (though with Lawes being fit he is now surplus to requirements theoretically).
I'm sure many of us expressed doubts about Haskell but he came in and did well. No reason why Wood cannot do the same I reckon.
I'm pretty relaxed about Wood tbh. He's no Richard Hill, but I think he's perfectly capable of carrying out a role and, as I say, this is going to be a short term fix.
For me, SH is a far greater concern as we're going in with Youngs and Care.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I can't see the point of Wood if Lawes is fit. Robshaw is good enough as third jumper. I also can't see Harrison losing out to Wood - wasn't Wood brought into the squad after Harrison - unless of course Wood has now proved that he is "above average" in Jones' eyes. Of course, that could all just be my desperation that Wood never plays for Eng again.
There is one caveat. That Jones wants a backrow jumper on the bench and he refuses to pick Beaumont. In which case Wood over Hughes. Eeerrggghh, that's like choosing between brussels sprouts or broccoli as your replacement veg for your Sunday roast as a kid.
jngf

Post by jngf »

fivepointer wrote:
Oakboy wrote:

I'm sure many of us expressed doubts about Haskell but he came in and did well. No reason why Wood cannot do the same I reckon.
I'm pretty relaxed about Wood tbh. He's no Richard Hill, but I think he's perfectly capable of carrying out a role and, as I say, this is going to be a short term fix.
So long as that role doesn't necessitate any actual carrying ;)
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

There has to be some doubt as to whether Lawes can last a full 80 at international level. He's played 1 game in the last 4/5 weeks, and barely trained in the last 2/3. His experience might get him through I guess. But certainly I reckon Jones will want Wood or Beaumont on the bench to help with the lineout if Lawes needs to come off.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

If Attwood can replicate his previous impact off the bench I'd be quite happy with that.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote: Eeerrggghh, that's like choosing between brussels sprouts or broccoli as your replacement veg for your Sunday roast as a kid.
I liked both of those veggies, still do. I'll confess to not knowing what replacement veg is though
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: Eeerrggghh, that's like choosing between brussels sprouts or broccoli as your replacement veg for your Sunday roast as a kid.
I liked both of those veggies, still do. I'll confess to not knowing what replacement veg is though
Its your replacement veg when the peas and carrots run out. So, Wood is your replacement backrower when those on the pitch deemed better than above average have run out of gas. You know you need the veg but you really don't rate them as part of your ideal Sunday roast.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:
Its your replacement veg when the peas and carrots run out. So, Wood is your replacement backrower when those on the pitch deemed better than above average have run out of gas. You know you need the veg but you really don't rate them as part of your ideal Sunday roast.
Veg would be part of my ideal Sunday roast.

And after all this talk of roasts I'm putting my foot down for roast beef on Sunday now, though I don't imagine that'll be a hard sell.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

No problem with broccoli in the mix - sprouts only ever go with the Christmas dinner as no one likes them. Carrots and peas wouldn't be my starting openside veg personally - leeks and parsnips are well ahead of both of them.
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal »

Broccoli, cauliflower, green beans. I occasionally use a Jamie Oliver/other approach to sprouts and cut them really fine and combine with small pieces of crispy bacon - well tasty.

As an aside, surprised to see Roko head back to his club...
Tom Moore

Post by Tom Moore »

Forwards (15)
Josh Beaumont (Sale Sharks), Dave Attwood (Bath Rugby), Dan Cole (Leicester Tigers), Jamie George (Saracens), Dylan Hartley (Northampton Saints), Nathan Hughes (Wasps), Joe Launchbury (Wasps), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints), Joe Marler (Harlequins), Chris Robshaw (Harlequins), Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins), Tommy Taylor (Wasps), Billy Vunipola (Saracens), Mako Vunipola (Saracens), Tom Wood (Northampton Saints).

Backs (10)
Mike Brown (Harlequins), Danny Care (Harlequins), Elliot Daly (Wasps), Owen Farrell (Saracens), George Ford (Bath Rugby), Jonathan Joseph (Bath Rugby), Jonny May (Gloucester Rugby), Ben Te’o (Worcester Warriors), Marland Yarde (Harlequins), Ben Youngs (Leicester Tigers).

Feel a bit sorry for Roko, very happy there's no Goode, and hoping for 2012 Tom Wood. Presume he starts 7, Taylor is omitted and one of Beaumont or Te'o misses out dependent upon split.