EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Tigersman

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Tigersman »

I look forward for the day hopefully England has Barbeary and Martin in the pack together.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Lawes is back for Northampton, yaay!
He's still playing 6, boo!

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:Lawes is back for Northampton, yaay!

Puja
They need some inspiration and maybe they think courtney smash-a-lot at 6 will give them that!
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Banquo wrote:

Puja
They need some inspiration and maybe they think courtney smash-a-lot at 6 will give them that!
I seem to remember that a year or more back he was quoted as saying he preferred the position. Maybe it is that simple.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Oakboy wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Puja
I seem to remember that a year or more back he was quoted as saying he preferred the position. Maybe it is that simple.
Could be. Plus they have other good options at second row. They’ve put Isiekwe at second row so a toss up. But Lawes will hopefully give energy to an underperforming team. Their post lockdown period was a disaster
16th man

Post by 16th man »

I suppose that if Eddie is intent on putting one of Lawes or Itoje at 6, one of them actually playing there for their club is a small bonus.

That's a silver lining that took some looking for though.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

I know it would be an unpopular move, but just wondering what specifically would be people’s issues with Maro at 6?
Stom

Post by Stom »

Timbo wrote:I know it would be an unpopular move, but just wondering what specifically would be people’s issues with Maro at 6?
Maro is a pretty exceptional lock. By asking him to do the work of a flanker instead, you're asking him to take on roles that he really isn't that well equipped to perform when he's so sensational at being a lock.

He's quick for a lock, he's slow for a flanker.

At 4, you can pretty much pair him with anyone and he'll do a great job. At 6, you'd need to pick a 5, 7 and 8 to fit around him...
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

So pace across the ground is the main thing for you then?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Timbo wrote:So pace across the ground is the main thing for you then?
It's not just pace. He's great at the breakdown, for a lock. He's got good pace, for a lock. He's got decent instincts in the loose, for a lock. He's got good hands, for a lock. Whenever we play Lawes or Itoje at 6, we play with two back rows and three locks - it doesn't matter what their shirt numbers are, because they still have the instincts and positioning and impact of a lock forward and, no matter how much it might look like they have the skills to play there, they still don't react like a back row or turn up in the right positions like a back row or know when to make interventions like a back row. They're a third lock who happens to be wearing the 6 shirt and who doesn't have to use as much energy in the scrum.

Puja
Backist Monk
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

On Will Greenwood’s podcast, Luke Cowan-Dickie was asked which England player is first name on his team sheet and he said ‘Tom Curry’ with no hesitation.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah I mean you’d have to be utterly blind not to think he’s incredible, right?
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Mikey Brown wrote:Yeah I mean you’d have to be utterly blind not to think he’s incredible, right?
Yep. Possibly the most well rounded backrow in the NH. Is there a weakness to his game? Others may be better at aspect of the game but they all have weaknesses. Curry is just a machine. Carrying, lineout, tackling, breakdown, good hands the list goes on. Should be the obvious first name on the team sheet for Lions backrow as well.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Luke called that one right. Curry is quite exceptional.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Can we just have Malins at 15 now. Put Daly in the 23 shirt, and that way we can stick with the 6/2 split whilst still having a ridiculous amount of backline cover.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Joe Simmonds gets an MBE simply for happening to be captain in the season when Exeter win the double. Seems like we're reducing the level of achievement needed to make it into the Queen's Speech (and leaving very little room for escalation if he goes on to have a long and storied career after this).

Baxter gets an OBE, which is more reasonable, given his 11 year service taking them from Championship to Champions Cup.

Puja
Backist Monk
Danno

Post by Danno »

Puja wrote:Joe Simmonds gets an MBE simply for happening to be captain in the season when Exeter win the double. Seems like we're reducing the level of achievement needed to make it into the Queen's Speech (and leaving very little room for escalation if he goes on to have a long and storied career after this).

Baxter gets an OBE, which is more reasonable, given his 11 year service taking them from Championship to Champions Cup.

Puja
Just playing Devil's advocate, but OBE, CBE and Knight of the Realm.
His international career is no doubt fucked now, though.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Danno wrote:
Puja wrote:Joe Simmonds gets an MBE simply for happening to be captain in the season when Exeter win the double. Seems like we're reducing the level of achievement needed to make it into the Queen's Speech (and leaving very little room for escalation if he goes on to have a long and storied career after this).

Puja
Just playing Devil's advocate, but OBE, CBE and Knight of the Realm.
His international career is no doubt fucked now, though.
Fair (pedantic) point, but it used to be that only the stars of the World Cup win from 66 got honours, then everyone in the 2003 England squad got one, then everyone who got an Olympic gold medal, and now they're being chucked at the captain of a domestic team who had one good season! Where's Brad Barritt's MBE from Saracens' wins?

Puja
Backist Monk
Danno

Post by Danno »

I think it's down to a) some Exeter player moaning about SPOTY a few weeks back and b) some Devon politician recommending it. Honours are the absolute epitome of 'who you know, not what you know'

Edit: absolutely not throwing shade at Joe, just reckon some MP is a big Chiefs fan
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Danno wrote:I think it's down to a) some Exeter player moaning about SPOTY a few weeks back and b) some Devon politician recommending it. Honours are the absolute epitome of 'who you know, not what you know'

Edit: absolutely not throwing shade at Joe, just reckon some MP is a big Chiefs fan
You don't think Tony Rowe OBE may have had a hand in it??
Danno

Post by Danno »

Raggs wrote:
Danno wrote:I think it's down to a) some Exeter player moaning about SPOTY a few weeks back and b) some Devon politician recommending it. Honours are the absolute epitome of 'who you know, not what you know'

You don't think Tony Rowe OBE may have had a hand in it??
Doubtless
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Been awful quiet round here in terms of Owen Farrell discussion/hate.

Thoughts?
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

I thought it was a bit overboard in praise, but I've liked Squidge's analysis of England's kicking game (actively seeking to attack after kick tennis has altered the opponent's defensive organisation) so in that like it makes sense. It is helped by a lack of stand out 12s mind as we've find on our own lions thread.

Glad Scarrett got the nod. She is outstanding.
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

Some interesting developments in the last few months really

The pack is looking pretty established now, though the there's jockeying for who starts I suppose i.e. Genge playing really well IMO

But in the backs I think Eddie could, if he wanted, shake it up a bit

Youngs playing well...but Randall looks arguably the next best
Plenty of established players not really enhancing their reputation, or at least, standing still
Smith, Simmonds still going well
Redpath improving all the time
Lawrence knocking on the door
Odogwu blasting through it
Malins looking good before injury

Given how average (whether through tactics or otherwise) the backs looked, and seeing how much lead time there is to the next world cup, I would love it if Eddie tried some new combinations. There are some excellent young players there who look ready
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Odogwu as another Manu replacement option is a possibility.