Which Tyler

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Which Tyler »

Roko been sent home then
WTF?
Puja

Post by Puja »

No Roko, no Slade, but there's Te'o and Hughes. To say I'm disappointed would be an understatement.

I've got no idea what more Roko has to do. Yarde's not a terrible option, but I just literally don't know what else Roko can do. If he can't get picked now, when there's so many other wingers out and he's in such terrific form, he may as well just give up on getting another cap.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

I think this signals the end of Eddie's honeymoon period.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I assume Lawes must not be near 100% if Beaumont is retained. Feel sorry for Roko, not sure what else he can do.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

It has to be Taylor, T'eo (or Daly), Hughes (or Beaumont) to miss out unless it is a 6:2 bench, predumably.
Rich

Post by Rich »

South Africa have got some monstrous centers...T'eo might start with Ford on the bench

If Jones goes for a normal 5:3 bench, would he really have two centers (T'eo and Daly) on there ?
Rich

Post by Rich »

My prediction: Jones swallows his pride and picks Robshaw at openside with Hughes at blindside and Billy at No8

Wood bench cover.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Shit...
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

Rich wrote:South Africa have got some monstrous centers...T'eo might start with Ford on the bench

If Jones goes for a normal 5:3 bench, would he really have two centers (T'eo and Daly) on there ?
+1 to Roko wtf btw.

Can't really see why EJ would panic a la Burt over SA's centres, Fazlet and JJ aren't susceptible to waving big lads through anyway. Also he's got quite enough forced changes going on to start with.

Oh and did I mention I'm gutted for Roko?
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Beasties wrote:
Rich wrote:South Africa have got some monstrous centers...T'eo might start with Ford on the bench

+1 to Roko wtf btw.

Can't really see why EJ would panic a la Burt over SA's centres, Fazlet and JJ aren't susceptible to waving big lads through anyway. Also he's got quite enough forced changes going on to start with.

Oh and did I mention I'm gutted for Roko?
I have always had reservations about Roko but I don't understand why Yarde is rated more highly based on watching both. There must be something we don't know about that sets them apart.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Not for the first time Roko has been shamefully treated by England.

Disappointed for him and also Slade. The other players dropping out is probably fair enough.

I imagine Eddie is still weighing up his back 5 options and wrestling with 10/12, plus maybe some lingering concerns about Lawes fitness.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

fivepointer wrote:Not for the first time Roko has been shamefully treated by England.

Disappointed for him and also Slade. The other players dropping out is probably fair enough.

I imagine Eddie is still weighing up his back 5 options and wrestling with 10/12, plus maybe some lingering concerns about Lawes fitness.
I think that we have to cut Eddie some slack on account of the number of players missing. All his forward planning has been wrecked. I'd have guessed that he would have expanded the playing style with everyone available. Possibly, that might have given Slade a start, for example. As it is, defence/solidity must rule. Ironically, he's on a hiding to nothing with the first match. Beating SA will be described as just what ought to happen with such poor opposition. Losing to them will be 'Jones's bubble has burst'.

I see significant weaknesses in our team - Yarde, Wood and Youngs. The first two selections were forced by absentees. The third is understandable to an extent with so many other changes.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Oakboy wrote:
fivepointer wrote:Not for the first time Roko has been shamefully treated by England.

I think that we have to cut Eddie some slack on account of the number of players missing. All his forward planning has been wrecked. I'd have guessed that he would have expanded the playing style with everyone available. Possibly, that might have given Slade a start, for example. As it is, defence/solidity must rule. Ironically, he's on a hiding to nothing with the first match. Beating SA will be described as just what ought to happen with such poor opposition. Losing to them will be 'Jones's bubble has burst'.

I see significant weaknesses in our team - Yarde, Wood and Youngs. The first two selections were forced by absentees. The third is understandable to an extent with so many other changes.
Eddie's got plenty of slack as far as I'm concerned. Inevitably when a squad is announced there are one or two selection you don't agree with but Eddie has got a lot more right than wrong. This squad is still a good one with most selections absolutely right.

Yarde is OK but for me Roko is the more dangerous attacker. Wood is fine as a stop gap. Youngs has got to go but maybe keeping him around while there other changes is probably the wise move.
jngf

Post by jngf »

What happened to Harrison?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Oakboy wrote:

What irks me is that Yarde over Rokoduguni isn't a matter of playing style, as they're very similar players. Roko's just more dangerous in attack and more reliable in defence.

My only thought is that Eddie is building for the future and wants the younger winger rather than the unproven 29 year old. However, he seems perfectly keen on Te'o, so I'm not sure.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Puja wrote:
Oakboy wrote:

What irks me is that Yarde over Rokoduguni isn't a matter of playing style, as they're very similar players. Roko's just more dangerous in attack and more reliable in defence.

My only thought is that Eddie is building for the future and wants the younger winger rather than the unproven 29 year old. However, he seems perfectly keen on Te'o, so I'm not sure.

Puja
Aye, that was my thought process too. I still think Yarde could be great, but he's got some real issues to iron out. Roko has been fantastic for a while.

I didn't realise Te'o was that old either. Too old for Cipriani, Thompson and Roko I guess, but not for Te'o. Maybe it's his previous international experience that gets him the nod? Did he ever get on the pitch for Aus in league?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Oakboy wrote:

Puja
My thought process entirely. I think Yarde could be the goods but for the here and now Roko is the better player. Also, Roko would only be 32 come Japan and doesn't have as many miles in his legs as most pro's of his age.
bitts

Post by bitts »

Poor poor Roko.

Clutching at straws but is Yards more accustomed to trucking it up like Ben Cohen? Could be to compensate for Ford Farrell in the centers?
Digby

Post by Digby »

I can only suppose Yarde is viewed as working harder chasing up the pitch after kicks, and working harder coming back to cover the backfield. The latter seems a bit odd when Roko looks the best in the country under a high ball and you'd have to think you'd be needing to read the game and working to be in position to be able to make those plays.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Yep, Yarde does go looking for work through the middle.
Puja

Post by Puja »

bitts wrote:Poor poor Roko.

Clutching at straws but is Yards more accustomed to trucking it up like Ben Cohen? Could be to compensate for Ford Farrell in the centers?
But Roko's used to doing that to compensate for Ford/Eastmond at Bath. I literally can't think of a thing that Yarde offers which Rokoduguni doesn't, except for youth (and maybe international experience if you count 9 caps as experience).

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:

But Roko's used to doing that to compensate for Ford/Eastmond at Bath. I literally can't think of a thing that Yarde offers which Rokoduguni doesn't, except for youth (and maybe international experience if you count 9 caps as experience).

Puja
I can't really say I've seen Roko carry through the middle for Bath. That tends to Banahan when I've seen them play.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Puja wrote:

Puja
Well he does have 5 tries in his 9 appearances - all against good opposition (Argentina x2, Wales, New Zealand and Australia).

I still would have picked Roko and I think he could have had a similar record given the opportunities Yarde has had. However, as it stands, the fact is that Yarde has already proved he can score at test level, Roko hasn't.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Ridiculous not to pick roko?
Digby

Post by Digby »

Puja wrote:. I literally can't think of a thing that Yarde offers which Rokoduguni doesn't, except for youth (and maybe international experience if you count 9 caps as experience).
I am much happier that Yarde is English, though Roko's situation is also more than a bit different to someone like Barrett or Hughes