EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Mr Mwenda

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Wasn't Care before that apparently related to something in training?
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

Meh - it was clumsy and daft. had the Canadian guy not got a bloodied nose I doubt it would have been cited. Punishment deserved, and I get that most on here are anti Glos ever having a representative in the England team. Eddie will do what he wants. I doubt that high knee stepping over a ruck will sway him one iota.
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Gloskarlos wrote:I get that most on here are anti Glos ever having a representative in the England team.
Are they? I generally want Glos to do well as they aren't northerners. 36 being a Sussex lad helps too.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Gloskarlos wrote:Meh - it was clumsy and daft. had the Canadian guy not got a bloodied nose I doubt it would have been cited. Punishment deserved, and I get that most on here are anti Glos ever having a representative in the England team. Eddie will do what he wants. I doubt that high knee stepping over a ruck will sway him one iota.
Not me guv. Mind, they do need some players under 30 and English to do that I'd think :)
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

Its all a conspiracy - actually from many years ago, but I have a long memory ;)

George is actively reducing the average age of our 23. It's significantly reduced of late and most are EQP.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Gloskarlos wrote:Its all a conspiracy - actually from many years ago, but I have a long memory ;)

George is actively reducing the average age of our 23. It's significantly reduced of late and most are EQP.
Blimey, must have been a shit ton of oldies before then- Slater, Sharples, Billy, Atkinson Woodward, and Simpson jumped off the page at me :); all over 30. Then again LRZ is very young, if Welsh :)
Puja

Post by Puja »

Gloskarlos wrote:Its all a conspiracy - actually from many years ago, but I have a long memory ;)
And an excellent ability to hold a grudge. You've still got May who'll play for England, unless you ruin him even further from his Leicester-playing peak as the best wing in the world. :P Although having said that, Jonny May's club has now finished 11th in the last three seasons, despite him changing club in that time, so maybe *he's* the problem?

I think Ludlow problem might be exactly because it was clumsy and daft. There was no benefit to doing it well and doing it badly would've seen a red card with a more intemperate referee. It's not a sign of good decision-making and generally that tends to be the death-knell for players under Jones. However, Uncle Eddie has clearly seen something that he likes about him, so maybe he'll have Farrell levels of immunity from consequences?

Puja
Backist Monk
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

Banquo wrote:

Blimey, must have been a shit ton of oldies before then- Slater, Sharples, Billy, Atkinson Woodward, and Simpson jumped off the page at me :); all over 30. Then again LRZ is very young, if Welsh :)
Indeed. You have mentioned all of the oldies. I'd put Balmain and Morgan in that bunch too. This will be Sharples last year I suspect, 36 hasn't much left either, but you need a few wise heads in the mix. Slightly hands tied as regards funds but interviews with Skivs and Alex Brown both spoken about reducing the average age, (and actually just getting a decent bloke who fits the ethos they are looking for) our 3 10's for example are under 22, 9's (aside from Simpson) almost embryonic.
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

Puja wrote:
And an excellent ability to hold a grudge. You've still got May who'll play for England, unless you ruin him even further from his Leicester-playing peak as the best wing in the world. :P Although having said that, Jonny May's club has now finished 11th in the last three seasons, despite him changing club in that time, so maybe *he's* the problem?

I think Ludlow problem might be exactly because it was clumsy and daft. There was no benefit to doing it well and doing it badly would've seen a red card with a more intemperate referee. It's not a sign of good decision-making and generally that tends to be the death-knell for players under Jones. However, Uncle Eddie has clearly seen something that he likes about him, so maybe he'll have Farrell levels of immunity from consequences?

Puja
t'was tongue in cheek originally, clearly that didn't come across, not enough old duffers here remember the old boards. MerryCherry and Bert would recall :D

Yes it will be interesting to see how May returns from this extended break, he wasn't his usual self that's for sure. I am hopeful, with a full KH crowd behind him he can rediscover his magic.

I'm with most on Luds, even with the cherry and white specs. I don't see him as an England starter, but he is a great leader and good captain (daft decisions aside). Does he deserve to be in the mix of also rans? yes for me. He is better all round than Ludlam for example and outplayed him in both Saints fixtures recently, topped tacle charts by a country mile, and is a thoroughly decent community driven guy. I'd include other back row options on the fringes in that list too, but he isn't going to be troubling the likes of Curry, Underhill, *Simmonds* etc. so why bother. I'd almost sooner (as proud of Glos players representing their country as I am) that we kept him at Glos available for all games.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Gloskarlos wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Indeed. You have mentioned all of the oldies. I'd put Balmain and Morgan in that bunch too. This will be Sharples last year I suspect, 36 hasn't much left either, but you need a few wise heads in the mix. Slightly hands tied as regards funds but interviews with Skivs and Alex Brown both spoken about reducing the average age, (and actually just getting a decent bloke who fits the ethos they are looking for) our 3 10's for example are under 22, 9's (aside from Simpson) almost embryonic.
oh and May, who is north of 30 :). The starting 10 will be scots :)

Only pulling your chain, but the starting 23 EQPs will be a tad ancient I'd think ;)
And totally agree on Ludlow, a very smart flanker. Shame we couldn't keep Hinkley.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Gloskarlos wrote:t'was tongue in cheek originally, clearly that didn't come across, not enough old duffers here remember the old boards. MerryCherry and Bert would recall :D
I thought the conspiracy was that the RFU hated Glos - not posters hereabouts - who were always selecting Sinbad and often Hazel - not to mention Morgan, Trinder, and Robson (from way before his move)
Puja

Post by Puja »

Gloskarlos wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
t'was tongue in cheek originally, clearly that didn't come across, not enough old duffers here remember the old boards. MerryCherry and Bert would recall :D

Yes it will be interesting to see how May returns from this extended break, he wasn't his usual self that's for sure. I am hopeful, with a full KH crowd behind him he can rediscover his magic.

I'm with most on Luds, even with the cherry and white specs. I don't see him as an England starter, but he is a great leader and good captain (daft decisions aside). Does he deserve to be in the mix of also rans? yes for me. He is better all round than Ludlam for example and outplayed him in both Saints fixtures recently, topped tacle charts by a country mile, and is a thoroughly decent community driven guy. I'd include other back row options on the fringes in that list too, but he isn't going to be troubling the likes of Curry, Underhill, *Simmonds* etc. so why bother. I'd almost sooner (as proud of Glos players representing their country as I am) that we kept him at Glos available for all games.
Oh, I'm one of the old duffers in on the joke - I remember the days of Hazel being dutifully ignored by England as we were banned from selecting any Glaws player due to ancient law.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Which Tyler wrote:
Gloskarlos wrote:t'was tongue in cheek originally, clearly that didn't come across, not enough old duffers here remember the old boards. MerryCherry and Bert would recall :D
I thought the conspiracy was that the RFU hated Glos - not posters hereabouts - who were always selecting Sinbad and often Hazel - not to mention Morgan, Trinder, and Robson (from way before his move)
and Freddie Burns, and Forrester (Olly Morgan did get picked but sadly crocked and retired early iirc). I still select JSD in every team, just in case. What a player,
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Banquo wrote:and Freddie Burns, and Forrester (Olly Morgan did get picked but sadly crocked and retired early iirc). I still select JSD in every team, just in case. What a player,
Jamie Forrester - I knew I was missing an obvious one.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote:
Which Tyler wrote:
and Freddie Burns, and Forrester (Olly Morgan did get picked but sadly crocked and retired early iirc). I still select JSD in every team, just in case. What a player,
Gods, I miss JSD. He was just so talented when he broke through. My favourite try of all time was his one against the Barbarians where he had a 2-on-3 underlap, absolutely suckered two defenders with a dummy so duplicitous that Christophers was halfway convinced he'd actually received the ball, before stepping and rounding Lomu, and then beating Cullen for pace in at the corner.

The young people that are around nowadays, and who won't get off my lawn, don't understand what Lomu meant to English fans back then. He was the player who had destroyed us in 1995 and in 1999 - we just could never stop him. Whenever he played against us, it wasn't whether he'd score, but how many. It was like he was on a different plane to our players. To have an English player outrageously rip the piss out of him like that was just inconceivable.

Puja
Backist Monk
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Gotta love a bit of Sinbad
Gloskarlos

Post by Gloskarlos »

Favourite player by a West Country mile.

I’ve no idea what’s happened to Hinkley, not seen him play since he left us. Gutted he didn’t stay and still not sure what went on with that discussion. Looks like Clement is around for a while, I rate him.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Gloskarlos wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja

I actually quite like Gloucester and rate Ludlow as a very good Premiership player. I just don’t think he really warrants a place in the England squad with the strength of back row options we have.

I was quite pleased to see him rewarded with a couple of caps (as captain to boot). However, if that’s the last we see of him for England, I won’t be overly disappointed.

FWIW, I have no dislike of Gloucester at all. If Thorley regains a bit of form, I’d have him back in the squad and I hope to see some more Gloucester players coming through of a similar standard.
Magic_sponge

Post by Magic_sponge »

Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Which Tyler wrote: I thought the conspiracy was that the RFU hated Glos - not posters hereabouts - who were always selecting Sinbad and often Hazel - not to mention Morgan, Trinder, and Robson (from way before his move)
Gods, I miss JSD. He was just so talented when he broke through. My favourite try of all time was his one against the Barbarians where he had a 2-on-3 underlap, absolutely suckered two defenders with a dummy so duplicitous that Christophers was halfway convinced he'd actually received the ball, before stepping and rounding Lomu, and then beating Cullen for pace in at the corner.

The young people that are around nowadays, and who won't get off my lawn, don't understand what Lomu meant to English fans back then. He was the player who had destroyed us in 1995 and in 1999 - we just could never stop him. Whenever he played against us, it wasn't whether he'd score, but how many. It was like he was on a different plane to our players. To have an English player outrageously rip the piss out of him like that was just inconceivable.

Puja
Think that's my favourite line ever. Particularly as I agree about Lomu, and his ability against us, but also that JSD try.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Gloskarlos wrote:Favourite player by a West Country mile.

I’ve no idea what’s happened to Hinkley, not seen him play since he left us. Gutted he didn’t stay and still not sure what went on with that discussion. Looks like Clement is around for a while, I rate him.
Think he was crocked playing for Exeter A and since then nada...
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Which Tyler wrote: I thought the conspiracy was that the RFU hated Glos - not posters hereabouts - who were always selecting Sinbad and often Hazel - not to mention Morgan, Trinder, and Robson (from way before his move)

Puja
I watched the 95 semi final when he ripped us a new one in a bar in Dublin. With some mates- all over for a wedding.....and the just returned Ireland team who pissed themselves laughing all game, I got a running commentary from Eric Elwood. Top blokes tho.
TheNomad

Post by TheNomad »

Smith showing some real promise with the Lions - I wish people would just shunt Farrell out the way and show some faith in his undoubted talent
padprop

Post by padprop »

So... Lawes at 6 eh?
Adam_P

Post by Adam_P »

Yeah Lawes was great today. I think he can no longer be looked at as a lock who merely fills in at 6. I think he's played lock about twice in the last two seasons for club and country.
Puja

Post by Puja »

padprop wrote:So... Lawes at 6 eh?
I missed the game, but I hear it was forwards dominated. Was he actually a good international 6 or was it just useful to have a third lock out there today?

Puja
Backist Monk