EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

loudnconfident

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by loudnconfident »

Thanks for the above link/quote. Again, I'm reminded of Which Tyler's remark: "It's a bit weird, I'm not used to an England coach who seems to already know what he's doing, rather than learning on the job."
Digby

Post by Digby »

The notion Roko just isn't ready does remind one a little of EJ's comments on Itoje, and yes Roko's not perfect in defence but really none of our options are. What is perhaps most interesting is the seeming thought that Roko will be getting picked soon so May and Yarde are going to have a fight for one spot, which I quite like as an idea, though one hopes they fight by playing for the team and not themselves.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Mellsblue wrote:Jones is a fan of Rokoduguni’s footwork and physicality, although he does have a tendency to be too direct with the ball in hand. He is strong in the air but defence is the area he is having to spend most of his time working on.
WTF?
Over the last 2 seasons Roko's defence is 93% tackle success rate (May is 95%; Yarde and Nowell 85%; Wade and Walker 73%; Daly 80%; Brown 77%; Goode 62%).
At Bath his reputation is defensively excellent; both in the tackle, and in positioning / decision making.
I seem to remember that debut against NZ - wasn't he roundly lauded for preventing an in-form Savea from doing anything at all?

As for the rest of his quotes - all fair enough, and he knows far more than I (or just about anyone) about when a player is actually ready, especially if he's looking at that player to be ready to accept the mantle for the next 3 years, rather than 1 match.

However, I will continue to disbelieve the things Eddie says until they are proven by actions - it's served me pretty well for the last 15 years or so.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Digby wrote:The notion Roko just isn't ready does remind one a little of EJ's comments on Itoje, and yes Roko's not perfect in defence but really none of our options are. What is perhaps most interesting is the seeming thought that Roko will be getting picked soon so May and Yarde are going to have a fight for one spot, which I quite like as an idea, though one hopes they fight by playing for the team and not themselves.
Except that the next quote we hear from Eddie about Nowell and/or Watson may well indicate something contradictory. Either that or Brown needs to look over his shoulder.
Peat

Post by Peat »

Tackling doesn't always equal defence. If he's struggling a bit with when to bite in and when to drift with Eddie's system, that could be it. Mindyou, he'd be far from unique among our wingers then.
Puja

Post by Puja »

That sounds promising, even if I don't agree with it. It wasn't as though Roko had a Teimana Harrison-esque debut and was dropped for playing poorly - he stood up to the pressure of playing NZ pretty well, and I'd have no issue with playing him against SA. As I said for Daly, I think waiting to assess players based on the Fiji game is a waste of time, as they're not going to pose enough of a challenge for us to learn much.

Still, at least it's good to know that he does rate him and there is a reason for Yarde being picked ahead, even if that reason is bollocks.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Puja wrote:That sounds promising, even if I don't agree with it. It wasn't as though Roko had a Teimana Harrison-esque debut and was dropped for playing poorly - he stood up to the pressure of playing NZ pretty well, and I'd have no issue with playing him against SA. As I said for Daly, I think waiting to assess players based on the Fiji game is a waste of time, as they're not going to pose enough of a challenge for us to learn much.

Still, at least it's good to know that he does rate him and there is a reason for Yarde being picked ahead, even if that reason is bollocks.

Puja
Yup. I'm just choosing to comfort myself with him having largely been correct, so far, when I felt he was being far too conservative with his selections.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Peat wrote:Tackling doesn't always equal defence. If he's struggling a bit with when to bite in and when to drift with Eddie's system, that could be it. Mindyou, he'd be far from unique among our wingers then.
Yup, which is why I didn't stop at the stat.s - he is regarded as strong in defence, in terms of position & decision making, as well as in getting his man to the ground.
His experienc of international rugby is to keep a rampaging Savea boxed up and uninvolved - hardly a sign of defensive weakness.
Of course, Eddie's England play very differently from Burt's England, or Ford's/Bladders' Bath

I fully acknowledge that Eddie is in a better position to judge temprament, ability to take instruction etc etc; though I have my doubts that he'd have got very far int he army, or on arrival as a professional rugby player if those aspects were below par.
I don't agree with him on this one; but he's earned my trust on his decision; he's also earned my distrust on his utterances.
Tom Moore

Post by Tom Moore »

In terms of the Te'o Roko age thing, I suspect that part of it is that with Tuilagi permanently broken, Jones sees Te'o as his sole option as a big ball carrying 12; whereas we are decently off for wingers and Yarde seems to be the preferred physical wing option currently.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Tom Moore wrote:In terms of the Te'o Roko age thing, I suspect that part of it is that with Tuilagi permanently broken, Jones sees Te'o as his sole option as a big ball carrying 12; whereas we are decently off for wingers and Yarde seems to be the preferred physical wing option currently.
Haven't they just decided Manu isn't perm broken, and he's had a op on a nerve in his thigh (I assume removed?) which kept getting inflamed and he's now expected back much sooner?
Tom Moore

Post by Tom Moore »

I thought i'd read that but couldn't find it anywhere. Possibly part of his two for every role thing then. Or maybe just really likes him as a player.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

That's actually reasonably logical to be fair.

I hope it's true about Tuilagi but I certainly wouldn't be abandoning any backup plans just yet. He needs some serious gametime.

I think I'd rather have seen Batman at 12.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Or, you know, Banahan.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown wrote:Or, you know, Banahan.
They're both super heroes as far as I'm concerned.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Does Batman's body suit pass equipment rules?

Also I don't recall in any of the films that his boots had studs, so likely he'd be easily stepped by a prop
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

It doesn't look like Youngs is getting dropped any time soon. Jones on Youngs:
“You can see his cheekbones now! He is going in the right direction and has the potential to be one of the best half-backs in the world and that is what we want him to be.”
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

Urgh.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

My god. How discouraging must that be as an England back hoping to get some fast ball at any point in the next few years.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

What I don't understand is that he's been allowed to be over weight and have a poor pass by both Leicester and Lancaster. There's three key physical attributes a scrumhalf requires - fitness, passing box-kicking - to be deficient and show no signs of improvement in two thirds is, well, unprofessional.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mind, Farrell's taught himself to pass, so it must be possible for Youngs to learn.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Puja wrote:Mind, Farrell's taught himself to pass, so it must be possible for Youngs to learn.

Puja
It doesn't appear like anybody is telling him that it isn't good enough. He keeps winning MOTM while being completely incapable of doing his primary role. I dont think I heard a BBC pundit pick up on it even once during the 6 nations.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

Bizarre init?
Digby

Post by Digby »

Puja wrote:Mind, Farrell's taught himself to pass, so it must be possible for Youngs to learn.
Farrell's improved, so much he's now a realistic option, but he's a work in progress still and a limiting option. Still, it's good pressure to put on Ford and he needs to respond as Farrell isn't likely to lose the work ethic to improve still further
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Underhill starting for Ospreys tonight
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Scrumhead wrote:Underhill starting for Ospreys tonight
First match of the season for him isn't it?