EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Mellsblue

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Mellsblue »

If Barbeary is this generational player, as the yanks would say, then how or where Oghre, Frost etc play is probably moot. It’ll just come down to which position the player and coach(es) think he’ll most likely reach his potential.
padprop

Post by padprop »

As a wasps fan, Oghre is hugely frustrating.

His darts go to pot in the big moments and he has an annoying habit of awful decision making at the back of the maul, lost count of the amount of times when he’s been swallowed up by the opposition when he goes further into the maul when the ball is readily available. His penalty count is also quite an annoyance.

Otherwise, he’s mustard. Quite big drawbacks for an international hooker though.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

padprop wrote:As a wasps fan, Oghre is hugely frustrating.

His darts go to pot in the big moments and he has an annoying habit of awful decision making at the back of the maul, lost count of the amount of times when he’s been swallowed up by the opposition when he goes further into the maul when the ball is readily available. His penalty count is also quite an annoyance.

Otherwise, he’s mustard. Quite big drawbacks for an international hooker though.
Agree with you on most of that, except his throwing has defo improved in the last few weeks, ground level bar granted.
Puja

Post by Puja »

padprop wrote:As a wasps fan, Oghre is hugely frustrating.

He sounds like the anti-Nick Dolly, tbh - if we could somehow combine the two, we'd have the perfect hooker!

Puja
Backist Monk
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Puja

Post by Puja »

twitchy wrote:
We did have a conversation the other month wondering how on earth he'd ended up in Israel, but that clause from Quins saying he couldn't sign for an English club is the answer. Doesn't feel like a very nice thing to have done to a young player (and I'm surprised that it's legal), although one can't blame Quins for being annoyed at him forcing a move away. Whoever advised him to go to France needs shooting.

Wonder if anyone will take a chance on him once that transfer restriction expires in the summer? He's undoubtedly got talent, although he clearly needs the right environment to make the most of it.

Puja
Backist Monk
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Really struggle to believe that not allowing him to sign for another club is legal.

However, at the same time, he wasn't as rated as highly as Smith. He was excited with a huge dollop of the headless chicken May about him. Running sideways and confusing his own side as much as his opponents. Would disappear out of games entirely too. I'm glad his Israeli coach thinks he could play for England tomorrow, but compared to the wingers we have in place, and those available, I struggle to believe it.
JellyHead

Post by JellyHead »

BBC reporting Farrell to miss the first 6 nations game possibly the second. George should be back in time.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Puja wrote:
twitchy wrote:
We did have a conversation the other month wondering how on earth he'd ended up in Israel, but that clause from Quins saying he couldn't sign for an English club is the answer. Doesn't feel like a very nice thing to have done to a young player (and I'm surprised that it's legal), although one can't blame Quins for being annoyed at him forcing a move away. Whoever advised him to go to France needs shooting.

Wonder if anyone will take a chance on him once that transfer restriction expires in the summer? He's undoubtedly got talent, although he clearly needs the right environment to make the most of it.

Puja

I think the non-compete was a condition of allowing him to leave mid-contract and I assume it was agreed to by his agent.

If he hates Quins that much, he has a strange way of showing it - he was around for the semi and the final IIRC and it doesn’t feel like he was in any way ostracised by the club.

I think it was probably a bad combination of Gustard’s mismanagement, an over-inflated sense of his own ability and poor advice from his agent.

I’m sure someone will take a chance on him. He’s still good enough to be playing in the Premiership IMO.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Leaving mid contract and not going to a rival that season, fair enough, but it's been over a season now.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

JellyHead wrote:BBC reporting Farrell to miss the first 6 nations game possibly the second. George should be back in time.
I mean, best wishes and all that, never like to see any player injured yet alone our only test match animal.....

How is the Eddie mind going to react to him being out for the start of the 6N? Smith obvs but ahem Ford? Umaga, or Eddie bingo with Finn Smith? Or a recall for Andy Goode? Nah, it'll be Furbank named as backup FH and Atkinson.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Scrumhead wrote:
Puja wrote:
twitchy wrote:

Puja

I think the non-compete was a condition of allowing him to leave mid-contract and I assume it was agreed to by his agent.

If he hates Quins that much, he has a strange way of showing it - he was around for the semi and the final IIRC and it doesn’t feel like he was in any way ostracised by the club.

I think it was probably a bad combination of Gustard’s mismanagement, an over-inflated sense of his own ability and poor advice from his agent.

I’m sure someone will take a chance on him. He’s still good enough to be playing in the Premiership IMO.
I suspect the whole affair was humbling time for him. He may also not like the Quins set up but still have friends playing there so was supporting them. Unless he gives a tell all interview we won't know but he's unlikely to give a tell all interview and court controversy if he's desperate for a contract back in the Prem. More likely to keep his head down and work hard in Israel so that a Prem team considers taking a punt on him. His valuation will have suffered as a result of the last couple of years though.

There's a few sides that might take a punt on him. Tigers, Sale and maybe Wasps. Depending on how he comes across in meetings with the HC/DORs etc.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Raggs wrote:Leaving mid contract and not going to a rival that season, fair enough, but it's been over a season now.
It’s general practice until the end of a broken contract, I thought. It’s a shame, but it did open the way for lynagh
SDHoneymonster

Post by SDHoneymonster »

FKAS wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja

I suspect the whole affair was humbling time for him. He may also not like the Quins set up but still have friends playing there so was supporting them. Unless he gives a tell all interview we won't know but he's unlikely to give a tell all interview and court controversy if he's desperate for a contract back in the Prem. More likely to keep his head down and work hard in Israel so that a Prem team considers taking a punt on him. His valuation will have suffered as a result of the last couple of years though.

There's a few sides that might take a punt on him. Tigers, Sale and maybe Wasps. Depending on how he comes across in meetings with the HC/DORs etc.
I suspect he'll have no trouble getting a Prem contract. England-qualified, highly talented and you'd hope a little wiser after a chastening couple of years.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Beasties wrote:
JellyHead wrote:BBC reporting Farrell to miss the first 6 nations game possibly the second. George should be back in time.
I mean, best wishes and all that, never like to see any player injured yet alone our only test match animal.....

How is the Eddie mind going to react to him being out for the start of the 6N? Smith obvs but ahem Ford? Umaga, or Eddie bingo with Finn Smith? Or a recall for Andy Goode? Nah, it'll be Furbank named as backup FH and Atkinson.
Last year I would have added Joe Simmonds to the list but there is something odd about his relationship with Exeter this season. His name was mentioned in the press for Ford's replacement, for example. It's probably rubbish but he would not be on a speculation list until Skinner began to start. I wonder if Baxter has plans for two new halfbacks.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Oakboy wrote:
Beasties wrote:

Last year I would have added Joe Simmonds to the list but there is something odd about his relationship with Exeter this season. His name was mentioned in the press for Ford's replacement, for example. It's probably rubbish but he would not be on a speculation list until Skinner began to start. I wonder if Baxter has plans for two new halfbacks.
Doesn't help that Simmonds signed a new deal two years ago so could be out of contract next summer. He'll have offers if he is.
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

SDHoneymonster wrote:
FKAS wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:

I suspect he'll have no trouble getting a Prem contract. England-qualified, highly talented and you'd hope a little wiser after a chastening couple of years.
There's quite a few reliable EQ wingers around and even more affordable quality NEQ wingers. It's a tough market. Only Worcester have splashed the cash on a winger recently. I'm sure there'll be a number of clubs eying him up.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Oakboy wrote:
Beasties wrote:

He’s looked out of sorts when he has played so I think there’s something off …

I always thought he was an odd choice of captain, but it’s quite some fall from being the skipper of a side that did a European & domestic double to benching for Harvey Skinner.
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

Not sure there’s a great mystery to it. He started the season in poor form- after a long run of very good form- and Exeter are clearly casting around looking to click into gear. By all accounts he played well at fullback in the last prem game.

At various times Baxter has dropped Slade, Devoto, LCD, Hogg etc. For a multitude of reasons I would be very surprised to see Simmonds leaving Exeter any time soon.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Who do you think exe would be looking at for FH?
Danno

Post by Danno »

Good kicking %, finds touch on the 5m line every time, can marshall the next pick and go, terrible hair a bonus.
Dan. Dan. Dan.

Post by Dan. Dan. Dan. »

With a propensity for conspiracy theories and casual racism...
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Jack Willis sounding pretty down beat in his column in the Times.
He says a return by Xmas is out of the window and ‘I need to see it as an achievement to get back on the pitch…’.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:Jack Willis sounding pretty down beat in his column in the Times.
He says a return by Xmas is out of the window and ‘I need to see it as an achievement to get back on the pitch…’.
Yeesh. Poor sod. Wonder if he's had a setback somewhere or if it's just not been progressing as quickly as hoped.

Puja
Backist Monk
FKAS

Post by FKAS »

Puja wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Jack Willis sounding pretty down beat in his column in the Times.
Yeesh. Poor sod. Wonder if he's had a setback somewhere or if it's just not been progressing as quickly as hoped.

Puja
Long term injuries like that must be as challenging mentally as physically. To do so much of that rehab work by yourself in the gym or at home or just working with the physios whilst everyone else is working hard on actual rugby improvements. Really tough. I had long recovery from a knee problem which was frustrating but it wasn't my career or my fixation day to day.