EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Timbo

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Timbo »

Barbeary’s first and third try’s were very decent finishes that he makes look absurdly easy. Second was obviously a walk in off the back of a dominant scrum.

I also really like Tom Willis, but looking at the back 5 of Wasps’ scrum they do have a lot of grafters and workhorses, so can see a case for wanting an ‘x factor’ 8. Barbeary has match winning/turning moments and his try scoring record is ridiculous.
Puja

Post by Puja »

A bit of clickbait that I thought I'd share on here rather than rewarding them:
Screenshot_20220418-132414_Facebook.jpg
Puja
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Credit where credit’s due, it was a nice piece of skill from Farrell. Probably more noteworthy because it was an unusual thing for him to do.

Rugby Onslaught is unbelievably full of $hit though.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Scrumhead wrote:Credit where credit’s due, it was a nice piece of skill from Farrell. Probably more noteworthy because it was an unusual thing for him to do.

Do you have a link to it? I refuse to give them a click for that headline.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Puja wrote:A bit of clickbait that I thought I'd share on here rather than rewarding them:

Screenshot_20220418-132414_Facebook.jpg

Puja
Haha. Quality stuff. Not going for subtlety are they? 23 year olds career over because Farrell did an offload while standing still.

I’ve got to admit I’d got my hopes up for a bit more before I saw the clip of it. Nice pass and great line by Malins, but as Flatman alluded to they were sort of playing Barbarians stuff at that point anyway.

Farrell did a good offload in the build up to an Ashton (I think) try vs NZ in 2012 too. He’s building up quite a portfolio for himself. I’ve been saying for a while the media have it backwards, he’s not reliable at all, I’d call him something of a maverick.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Nice assist by Farrell but you'd expect a world beater like him to be doing this kind of thing pretty regularly. He doesnt.

I note the tweet didnt mention Smith's spectacular play that helped set up Marchants try on Saturday.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Mellsblue wrote:
That's pretty nice, but I was expecting a little bit more from the description. Hope he is starting to get back to his best though cause I'm far from convinced that Slade at 12 is the answer.

On the same subject, Squidge woke up and chose violence today on twitter:

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Puja wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:Credit where credit’s due, it was a nice piece of skill from Farrell. Probably more noteworthy because it was an unusual thing for him to do.

Do you have a link to it? I refuse to give them a click for that headline.

Puja
I haven’t read it and wouldn’t entertain reading any of their crap TBH. I’ve been suckered by the click bait enough times to know it won’t be worth reading!
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Puja wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
That's pretty nice, but I was expecting a little bit more from the description. Hope he is starting to get back to his best though cause I'm far from convinced that Slade at 12 is the answer.

Puja
I mean I don't know what it was he's responding to but I think it's valid as a general point. The Farrell hate at the moment is often OTT or just oddly placed. Like people are making up for lost time, having not realised he's been a bit limited for his entire career. He is a far better player than many of his detractors say, just not as good as the fanboys suggest either. Quite like Smith really, but one is at the beginning of their development.

I'm really rooting for Leicester to do something big in Europe, largely because I'm really curious if there is any path back for George Ford to start at 10 again. It's not like form was his issue when he was left out before, but these are the closest games he'll get to test level. I understand sticking with Smith, but it seems stupid to have him in the 23 if he's not genuinely a contender for a starting spot any more.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Puja wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:

Puja
I mean I don't know what it was he's responding to but I think it's valid as a general point. The Farrell hate at the moment is often OTT or just oddly placed. Like people are making up for lost time, having not realised he's been a bit limited for his entire career. He is a far better player than many of his detractors say, just not as good as the fanboys suggest either. Quite like Smith really, but one is at the beginning of their development.

I'm really rooting for Leicester to do something big in Europe, largely because I'm really curious if there is any path back for George Ford to start at 10 again. It's not like form was his issue when he was left out before, but these are the closest games he'll get to test level. I understand sticking with Smith, but it seems stupid to have him in the 23 if he's not genuinely a contender for a starting spot any more.
I often wonder how Ford would perform without coaching restrictions, without Farrell (anywhere in team, squad or training camp), with a quick-firing, non-kicking SH and with a penetrative IC ( not necessarily a battering ram). Given all that, would he still be better than Smith, has he the pace to make breaks himself and would he stop aimless kicking to the sky?

It seems to me that even Jones has concluded that Youngs/Ford/Farrell as a unit peaked in that last RWC SF. That probably means that only Farrell will be first choice in the startiing XV for the next RWC - at 12 (wrongly, IMO). I'd pick none of the three.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Oakboy wrote: It seems to me that even Jones has concluded that Youngs/Ford/Farrell as a unit peaked in that last RWC SF.
Yep, and dropped the best player of three….. albeit to promote the best replacement. Imo, he identified the right problem but came up with the wrong solution.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Mellsblue wrote:
Oakboy wrote: It seems to me that even Jones has concluded that Youngs/Ford/Farrell as a unit peaked in that last RWC SF.
Yep, and dropped the best player of three….. albeit to promote the best replacement. Imo, he identified the right problem but came up with the wrong solution.
Quite!!
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Mellsblue wrote:
Surely that’s the wrong problem then?

I’m unsure because I think Ford is still the best option at 10, but Farrell WILL play, and maybe Smith/Farrell or Farrell/Good-centre would be a better combo.
Danno

Post by Danno »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
or Farrell/Good-centre would be a better combo.
/chokes
Puja

Post by Puja »

Lawes a doubt for the summer tour: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/61161824

I have to say that strikes me as good news. Great player, but not an international 6 - we need this opportunity to get some of our back row talent cemented into that shirt before he comes back.

Puja
Backist Monk
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

+1
Stom

Post by Stom »

Puja wrote:Lawes a doubt for the summer tour: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/61161824

I have to say that strikes me as good news. Great player, but not an international 6 - we need this opportunity to get some of our back row talent cemented into that shirt before he comes back.

Puja
I wish we had a no 8 called port, then we could have a portcullis backrow
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Shame Declan Rice is a footballer and not a rugby player. Curry and Rice would no doubt have been a great combo.
Danno

Post by Danno »

Scrumhead wrote:Shame Declan Rice is a footballer and not a rugby player. Curry and Rice would no doubt have been a great combo.
Pretty sure Anneka Rice is at a bit of a loose end these days, time for a career change?
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Sounds like Quirke’s injury is going to keep him out until mid-way through preseason.

Massive shame as I was hoping to see him in Australia. I doubt Youngs will travel so it could be a good chance for Mitchell to transfer his Saints form to test rugby. Either that or a recall for Robson?
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Whilst I think Robson is the better scrum half at the moment, I'd not be upset to see will porter go to aus. Think he'd work well with Ford/Smith.
Peej

Post by Peej »

Danno wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:Shame Declan Rice is a footballer and not a rugby player. Curry and Rice would no doubt have been a great combo.
Pretty sure Anneka Rice is at a bit of a loose end these days, time for a career change?
There's a slim (slim!) chance of a Lamb Curry though isn't there?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Scrumhead wrote:Sounds like Quirke’s injury is going to keep him out until mid-way through preseason.

Massive shame as I was hoping to see him in Australia. I doubt Youngs will travel so it could be a good chance for Mitchell to transfer his Saints form to test rugby. Either that or a recall for Robson?
Absolutely not to Robson. We riot if Mitchell doesn't go - he's been having a phenomenal season and would deserve a place.

If Youngs doesn't go and we need a third, JVP is the most promising of the young thrusters and would benefit from the experience.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Are we assuming Youngs wants to stay with his family? I'm worried Jones is just going to go full first team and not rest any of the Lions guys, not that Youngs even toured.