Adder

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Adder »

Cheers. Glasgow don't look confident.

Sent from my SM-J500FN using Tapatalk
Big D

Post by Big D »

They are struggling with injuries to be fair. Lost a few in the game.
Big D

Post by Big D »

nicely worked try.

Will be a mighty effort to hold on here.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Awful try to lose.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Manful effort but defence let them down at key times.

No need for Sarto to do what he did, and the Ulster tries though well taken came via a lot of missed tackles.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Tense stuff to watch. Ulster deserved the victory. I think the young guys will have learned a lot from this game.

hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Big D wrote:Awful try to lose.
The defense was shocking. On a rainy night like that 17 points is just dandy. They were missing tackles all over the shop. Hogg does some superb, superb stuff in attack but I just cannot forgive his complete lack of the basics of defence. How bad do you have to be to get turned inside out by Paddy Jackson?
Big D

Re: RE: Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Big D »

Adder wrote:Tense stuff to watch. Ulster deserved the victory.
They did. Hat tip to the weeg young uns through. They'll be better for it as will Russell.
Spiffy

Post by Spiffy »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
Big D wrote:Awful try to lose.
The defense was shocking. On a rainy night like that 17 points is just dandy. They were missing tackles all over the shop. Hogg does some superb, superb stuff in attack but I just cannot forgive his complete lack of the basics of defence. How bad do you have to be to get turned inside out by Paddy Jackson?
Bit unfair to Paddy, who has turned out to be a pretty good FH in the last two seasons, and played very well against SA in the summer tests. He had a good all-round game tonight too, and showed some surprising pace.

Still - your lad, Finn Russell, on the losing team, got the MOTM award ;)
ARM

Post by ARM »

What to make of that.

In the first half if that had been a boxing match the towel would have been in the ring.

Got hammered by a slick Ulster team. Piatau is a beast. Russell was an absolute bombscare (he improved second half and it's great to see him back but no way he gets MoM)

But amazing guts to stick in and a better second half performance. Would have been daylight robbery if we had won that game.

So many injuries - is the surface playing a part (also artificial in Cardiff and we picked up a stack there).

We're boned in Europe as we'll just get beaten up by the huge English and French packs. Again.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

How comfortable did Russell look around contact?
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Backrow got mullered (so much for ulsters being average) and Glasgow spent the first half defending. They need to be able to secure possession to use those exciting backs. Fair play to Ulster, they turned up with a clever game plan and executed it really well I thought.

Not sure about the surface. Looked to be a lot of standing water in it by the end with players slipping and sliding everywhere. Also saw a lot of the ball sliding out of the back of the ruck, looked like a scrum-halls nightmare.
Adder

Re: RE: Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Adder »

ARM wrote:What to make of that.

In the first half if that had been a boxing match the towel would have been in the ring.

Got hammered by a slick Ulster team. Piatau is a beast. Russell was an absolute bombscare (he improved second half and it's great to see him back but no way he gets MoM)

But amazing guts to stick in and a better second half performance. Would have been daylight robbery if we had won that game.

So many injuries - is the surface playing a part (also artificial in Cardiff and we picked up a stack there).

We're boned in Europe as we'll just get beaten up by the huge English and French packs. Again.
Leave Europe to Edinburgh... ;)

Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote:How comfortable did Russell look around contact?
No problems at all. Abandoned the scrum cap at half time.

Thought Bennett looked good in defence too. A couple of great tackles. Was a good game to watch all round apart from the stoppages. Glasgow really under the cosh but held on and begun playing in second half. Ulster's counter rucking looks a real nightmare to play against. Not that the ones that played did badly but it's really AA match where you want your top backroom fit
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Glasgow Warriors are delighted to announce the signing of 27-year-old USA international Langilangi Haupeakui, subject to visa and medical.Langilangi Haupeakui has signed a two-year deal with Glasgow

The 6ft 1’ backrower has put pen-to-paper on a two-year deal at Scotstoun, joining from PRO Rugby side Sacramento Express.

He is expected to arrive in Glasgow within the next few days.

Starting his sporting career playing college football in San Mateo, California, Langilangi first took up rugby for the East Palo Alto Razorbacks where he was a teammate of former Warrior Folau Niua.

Impressive performances earned him a PRO Rugby contract and his first cap for the USA Eagles against Russia in June.

Speaking exclusively to glasgowwarriors.org, Langilangi spoke of his excitement at joining Glasgow.

He said: “There was interest from other clubs, but joining Glasgow Warriors was an easy decision.

"I've heard a lot of positive things about the club and the city from Greg Peterson and I'm looking forward to getting over to Scotland to start training with the squad.

“I’ve watched a few GUINNESS PRO12 matches and I’m excited about the physicality and speed of the game.

“There are some great players who play in the backrow at Glasgow, so I’m going to have to work very hard to earn my place, but it’s a challenge I’m looking forward to.”

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend added: “We’ve been working on getting Langilangi here for some time and we were aware that there was a lot of interest in him from other clubs. So we’re delighted that he’s joined us and we're looking forward to integrating him into our squad as soon as possible.

“He is a strong ball carrier and hits very hard in the tackle. There will be a lot for him to work on and learn about how we play, but he will bring a high level of physicality to our forward pack, as well as increasing our strength in depth in the backrow.”
The Coo is dead. Long live The Coo.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Peter Murchie will make his first Glasgow Warriors appearance of the season, starting at full-back against Newport Gwent Dragons at Rodney Parade tomorrow night.Peter Munchie returns at full-back tomorrow night

The Scotland international, who has played more than 100 times for the Warriors, replaces Stuart Hogg in the number 15 shirt.

He is joined in the back three by Rory Hughes on the left wing and Tommy Seymour on the right, who will be hoping to add to his seven tries from the opening four matches.

Henry Pyrgos and Finn Russell continue their half-back partnership, as do Alex Dunbar and Mark Bennett in midfield.

In the front-row former All Black hooker Corey Flynn and Scotland loose-head Alex Allan will also make their first starts of the season, with Sila Puafisi completing the front three.

Rob Harley returns to the starting line-up, joining Jonny Gray in the engine room.

In the back-row, the versatile Fraser Brown is in at open-side, Lewis Wynne starts his second consecutive Warriors game on the other flank and Josh Strauss also returns to the side at the back of the scrum.

Ayr and former Edinburgh Rugby second-row Robert McAlpine could make his debut for the Warriors off the bench.

Djustice Sears-Duru is another player who could make his competitive Warriors debut. He joins D’arcy Rae and Pat MacArthur as the replacement front-row-forwards.

Matt Fagerson is once again involved after his debut against Ulster and Ali Price, Rory Clegg and Italian international Leonardo Sarto complete the matchday 23.

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: “It’s great to welcome Peter Murchie back. He’s been working really hard after picking up an injury during pre-season and the return of Josh Strauss and Rob Harley from injury is also a boost.

“The inclusion of Robert McAlpine has really helped us out, increasing our squad depth at second-row. Rob is an experienced player who has been in very good form for Ayr this season.

“Rodney Parade is always a difficult place to visit and the Dragons are a hugely physical side, so we’re going to have to be at the top of our game tomorrow night.”

Glasgow Warriors team to play Newport Gwent Dragons at Rodney Parade, Friday 30 September (kick off 7.35pm) - live on BBC ALBA:
15. Peter Murchie
14. Tommy Seymour
13. Mark Bennett
12. Alex Dunbar
11. Rory Hughes
10. Finn Russell
9. Henry Pyrgos (Co-Captain)

1. Alex Allan
2. Corey Flynn
3. Sila Puafisi
4. Rob Harley
5. Jonny Gray (Co-Captain)
6. Lewis Wynne
7. Fraser Brown
8. Josh Strauss

Replacements:

16. Pat MacArthur
17. Djustice Sears-Duru
18. D’arcy Rae
19. Robert McAlpine
20. Matt Fagerson
21. Ali Price
22. Rory Clegg
23. Leonardo Sarto

Not available due to injury: Adam Ashe (hip / foot), Scott Cummings (shoulder), Simone Favaro (shoulder), Chris Fusaro (knees), Ryan Grant (back), Peter Horne (hand), Greg Peterson (shoulder), Gordon Reid (head), Tim Swinson (ribs), Tjiuee Uanivi (shoulder) and Richie Vernon (shoulder).
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Hopefully that is just a rest for Hogg. I've got an awful lot of time for Murchie so good to see him there.

Harley at lock doesn't fill me with confidence. You'd hope Flynn will be offering something to the (slightly green?) pack.

Is Richie Vernon ever going to be fit again?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

And yet again the quality of the officiating is letting the league down. A blunder like that is a sackable offence in any other profession. Poor Fraser Brown, he was having a decent half.
Adder

Post by Adder »

Dragons are really poor. They seem to be quite small as well

Adder

Post by Adder »

Well taken second try though

hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Adder wrote:Dragons are really poor. They seem to be quite small as well

Yup, quite a few of them look like they dont even.. well... lift.

I know TRT is winding down his career and on the verge of retirement but he just looks like a typical skinny-fat 30 something you'd find in the street.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Solid enough win for Glasgow. They're not cutting teams open yet but have evidently decided that they will rotate and aim to peak at the end of the season at the cost of a bit of cohesion now.

Thought that Fraser Brown was excellent, my motm and would be my starting hooker for Scotland. Shame that Bennett went off, he seemed to add a bit of spark to the back line.

Also what a step for the try. Alex Allan to be backup prop and centre from now on.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Who was motm?

Typical game at the Dave. Seriously need to pick it up a gear before tiggers.
Chunks Baws

Post by Chunks Baws »

hp18 wrote:Who was motm?

Typical game at the Dave. Seriously need to pick it up a gear before tiggers.
Fraser Brown was MOTM.
hp18

Post by hp18 »