Snap General Election called

Stones of granite

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Stones of granite »

kk67 wrote:
Digby wrote:Corbyn showed once again why he's seen as the Glorious Leader™ in deciding to meet a Muslim group having declined an invite to attend a dinner marking Balfour Declaration centenary. Now not going to the meal isn't an unreasonable thing, having Emily Thornberry declare the Glorious Leader™ is a Zionist is perhaps a bit much, but meeting instead with a group that includes some who advocate the killing of British soldiers does feel like going too far entirely.
There have been many occasions when advocating the killing of British/English soldiers has historically proved to be the right and the just thing to do.
I know this won't be popular......but it's daft to pretend our armed forces always have the moral justification.
This isn't the 18th century....even though a lot of home counties Tory English MP's think it is our moral imperative.
They are lying imperialist crooks with undue influence over what constitutes a need for war and death.

Let's not kid ourselves.....Winston initially believed he was protecting the English Empire.
Of course he did, he was. And the Post-war Labour Government did exactly the same, pissing the UK's share of the Marshal Plan up the wall in the attempt.
Let's not kis ourselves it was just the Tories who tried to hold on to the Empire.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Stones of granite wrote:
kk67 wrote:
Digby wrote:Corbyn showed once again why he's seen as the Glorious Leader™ in deciding to meet a Muslim group having declined an invite to attend a dinner marking Balfour Declaration centenary. Now not going to the meal isn't an unreasonable thing, having Emily Thornberry declare the Glorious Leader™ is a Zionist is perhaps a bit much, but meeting instead with a group that includes some who advocate the killing of British soldiers does feel like going too far entirely.
There have been many occasions when advocating the killing of British/English soldiers has historically proved to be the right and the just thing to do.
I know this won't be popular......but it's daft to pretend our armed forces always have the moral justification.
This isn't the 18th century....even though a lot of home counties Tory English MP's think it is our moral imperative.
They are lying imperialist crooks with undue influence over what constitutes a need for war and death.

Let's not kid ourselves.....Winston initially believed he was protecting the English Empire.
Of course he did, he was. And the Post-war Labour Government did exactly the same, pissing the UK's share of the Marshal Plan up the wall in the attempt.
Let's not kis ourselves it was just the Tories who tried to hold on to the Empire.
Rarely will it have been electorally popular to kill British soldiers, or for a leader of a major political party to grant succour to those who advocate it. And I doubt you'd get anyone but those well beyond the pale to consider killing British troops involved in Afghanistan and Iraq now, not with any kind of moral justification
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

I wonder what the odds are of the government surviving another 12 months? I think both major parties are going to take casualties in this, but the party in government always gets hit hardest.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Boris is doing badly even for Boris with his comments on journalism training for Nazanin Zaghari-Ratcliffe the British-Iranian mum being held in an Iranian jail. May did her best to give a big name a job where he couldn't hurt people, and it's working in this instance.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Johnson is an arrogant oaf, whose lack of professionalism could result in serious consequences for a British subject being held in Iran.
Patel flat out lies about her trip to Israel -a holiday involving 12 meetings including the Israeli PM?
we've had Fox on radio today either lying through his teeth, or comically ill informed about trade deals.
Davis now tells us there arent really 58 separate brexit impact assessments.
Yet the PM sits on her hands knowing she is far too weak to get rid of these duds.
Amazingly HM opposition cannot open up clear blue water in the polls against this bunch of hopeless incompetents.
our politics is at the lowest ebb i can remember, run by fools, charlatans, liars and lightweights.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

fivepointer wrote:Johnson is an arrogant oaf, whose lack of professionalism could result in serious consequences for a British subject being held in Iran.
Patel flat out lies about her trip to Israel -a holiday involving 12 meetings including the Israeli PM?
we've had Fox on radio today either lying through his teeth, or comically ill informed about trade deals.
Yet the PM sits on her hands knowing she is far too weak to get rid of these duds.
Amazingly HM opposition cannot open up clear blue water in the polls against this bunch of hopeless incompetents.
our politics is at the lowest ebb i can remember, run by fools, charlatans, liars and lightweights.
indeedy
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

fivepointer wrote:Johnson is an arrogant oaf, whose lack of professionalism could result in serious consequences for a British subject being held in Iran.
Ought to be satire not reality

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

welshsaint

Post by welshsaint »

First #metoo suicide.
Digby

Post by Digby »

welshsaint wrote:First #metoo suicide.
I can take or leave it if I please
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

The cabinet needs a mass clear out, there are some more credible junior MPs who could do a better job. I was against a leadership election because of the brexit talks, but the way things are going, it might be better to bite the bullet sooner rather than later.

And Johnson’s comments that have led to a British citizen being even more the shyte were just plain stupid. It’s annoying that May has regarded foreign secretary as being a job for a cretin.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

Digby wrote:
welshsaint wrote:First #metoo suicide.
I can take or leave it if I please
Robert Altman said that while he only made $70,000 for having directed the movie, his son had earned more than $1 million for having co-written the song.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_Is_Painless
Digby

Post by Digby »

'Only' $70k going back 50 odd years, one's heart goes out to him
Zhivago

Post by Zhivago »

Once/if we have a transition agreement in place, is there any reason for May et al to keep their jobs?

Все буде Україна!
Смерть ворогам!!

Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

The quality of the replacements? It’s sort of like the American situation, you can get rid of the blithering, spineless, incompetent one in charge, but potentially replace them with a real malicious piece of shit.

But no, that’s not really a good reason.
Digby

Post by Digby »

I can't see a seasonable argument for keeping May, Corbyn or Cable, all three are miles off any sensible standard
Stom

Post by Stom »

Digby wrote:I can't see a seasonable argument for keeping May, Corbyn or Cable, all three are miles off any sensible standard
Yet who is there who is better?

I mean, we don't really know loads about Starmer yet. There's always Boris. Or Rees-Mogg. Are there actually any other Lib Dems?
Digby

Post by Digby »

Stom wrote:
Digby wrote:I can't see a seasonable argument for keeping May, Corbyn or Cable, all three are miles off any sensible standard

I mean, we don't really know loads about Starmer yet. There's always Boris. Or Rees-Mogg. Are there actually any other Lib Dems?
The Lib Dems may indeed simply not have the numbers to present a better option. Labour and the Tories are seemingly far too spit on their aims for any sensible candidate to emerge who could possibly hold power. Basically we're in the poop
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

If you get rid of May et al before Brexit is sorted I suggest you have the very real possibility of the likes of Rees-Mogg, Brigden and their ilk taking over the reins of the country. Let that sink in.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:If you get rid of May et al before Brexit is sorted I suggest you have the very real possibility of the likes of Rees-Mogg, Brigden and their ilk taking over the reins of the country. Let that sink in.
More likely Corbyn et al. I think the Tories will implode (even more) sooner rather than later- the constituency MP's I think would rather not sink with the govt ship, and be happier preserving their own futures as opposition to the clusterfck any government will be in the middle of.
Stones of granite

Post by Stones of granite »

Once/if we have a transition agreement in place, is there any reason for May et al to keep their jobs?

Well, I for one find the question poorly put with too much room for ambiguity about what he is actually asking, so I am taking my ball home and not playing.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:If you get rid of May et al before Brexit is sorted I suggest you have the very real possibility of the likes of Rees-Mogg, Brigden and their ilk taking over the reins of the country. Let that sink in.
More likely Corbyn et al. I think the Tories will implode (even more) sooner rather than later- the constituency MP's I think would rather not sink with the govt ship, and be happier preserving their own futures as opposition to the clusterfck any government will be in the middle of.
Can’t see it myself within this electoral cycle, baring an absolute disaster. The Conservative MP’s are terrified of a Corbyn govt and what it would mean for the country. It’s pretty much the only thing keeping May in no10.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Can’t see it myself within this electoral cycle, baring an absolute disaster. The Conservative MP’s are terrified of a Corbyn govt and what it would mean for the country. It’s pretty much the only thing keeping May in no10.
...but as we have seen, there is zero discipline. When Patel is sacked, it will get worse. Self preservation will kick in.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

I'm struggling to get my head around just how foolish and irresponsible Patels conduct has been.
Arranging the meetings, not telling anyone, not going through proper channels, disregarding established protocols, ignoring the ministerial code, putting herself in potentially compromising positions and risking the credibility of her govt. Oh, and of course lying through her teeth. Its utterly breathtaking that a) she would even consider doing any of this and b) that she has not been instantly dismissed. That she would not offer her resignation is now par for the course.
May is in a hopeless bind, having to keep the madcap brexiteers on side, even though they all seem to be the most dishonest, incompetent and self serving of her piss poor cabinet.
I loathed Thatcher, but right now, I'd take her back over this lot in a heartbeat.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

fivepointer wrote:I'm struggling to get my head around just how foolish and irresponsible Patels conduct has been.
I think it's fairly straight forwards.
She thought Boris was going to get the push and she was genuinely under the impression it was her next promotion.
Sadly her stratospheric rise since being elected has given her the idea she's there on ability....and not because she's an attractive, female, right wing ethnic minority.
Also, Tel Aviv are more than happy to encourage gruesome ambition and to manipulate it for their own benefit.
She should have been sacked last week let alone today. Shameless fudge from May.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Stom wrote:

I’d look outside he current cabinet. Ruth Davidson of course, and a number of MPs fm the last 2 elections who could probably step up.

To be fair, they can’t be any worse.

The safe pair of hands option is probably aRudd at the moment, but her majority it too small.