EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

bitts

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by bitts »

Thought LCD got the better of Rory Best (although, to be fair, Exceter's pack was very much on top).

Made me think that Best's chance of captaining the Lions will be massively helped by LCD, George and Taylor being behind the inferior Hartley. Simply because he is more likely to be considered a guaranteed starter ahead of Hartley than George.
morepork

Post by morepork »

p/d wrote:Nowell seems to want to play every position bar wing.

Though it looks like he been given licence to roam

He is playing as a surrogate 12/15 in the open with the aim of creating an extra man on attack. He chimes in very well. Campagnaro is grateful for this.If England can team him up with a 10 that can play flat, and a fullback that can work really hard on hitting good lines when they are presented (not Brown of Jonny B. Goode), then he could really do the damage.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

the Exeter-Ulster game was terrific.

Nowell is right on his game. LCD good too.

Anyone tell me why Townsend has been on loan at Pirates rather than playing for Exeter?
bitts

Post by bitts »

fivepointer wrote:the Exeter-Ulster game was terrific.

Nowell is right on his game. LCD good too.

Anyone tell me why Townsend has been on loan at Pirates rather than playing for Exeter?
They seem to hoard young talented scrum-halves.... and Lewis.
p/d

Post by p/d »

morepork wrote:

He is playing as a surrogate 12/15 in the open with the aim of creating an extra man on attack. He chimes in very well. Campagnaro is grateful for this.If England can team him up with a 10 that can play flat, and a fullback that can work really hard on hitting good lines when they are presented (not Brown of Jonny B. Goode), then he could really do the damage.
Yep. I was only thinking how both Nowell and May would benefit from having Lozowski alongside them.

Sometimes think he should look for the pass a bit more rather than battering it up himself, though does make good yardage every time. Strangely enough the one time I thought he should have kept the ball was when his pass led to Jackson being binned.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Mellsblue wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
Timbo wrote:Harrison seems to be carrying the ball more these last few weeks. That's how he got himself noticed last season, just some serious hard edged, aggressive carrying. He seemed to go away from that, maybe trying to show that he could do more of the breakdown 7 stuff.
I've never really got this thing about him being a 7. His entire game seems to be about charging in to people.
Wasn't he back at 8? Which is also where he looked good last season, IIRC.
Well exactly. Maybe I'm wrong but I've only ever actually seen him play well as a route 1, abrasive 8, but is apparently really a 7.
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Anyone know when the 6 Nations squad is announced?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Slightly away from the main EPS, but has anyone else noticed that Sale's season falling off a cliff has coincided with their injuries lessening and them not have to play a Curry twin every week? I watched them come on from the bench against Toulon and was again taken aback by how much of a menace they are. They are so adept, especially at their tender age, at spoiling opposition ball, being in the right position for the turnover, seizing on loose ball. Plus they have a handy knack at worming through the centre of driving mauls to get to the ball.

They're not ready for England just yet, but I'd be willing to bet one of them will be capped by the end of 2018. Just such promise for the future.

Puja
Backist Monk
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

The Curry's are mighty impressive for their age. England is a real option a little down the line but for now I'd like to see them together with Mercer in the u20's back row. Unlikely it will be the 6n's given club commitments but for the JWC they could be something special.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Tough question which on is better? They are both 7's right?
Puja

Post by Puja »

twitchy wrote:Tough question which on is better? They are both 7's right?
They are, although I've seen them both slot in at 6 and I'd imagine they could have a fair go at 8 as well. I genuinely haven't a scoob which one is better as they play almost as identically as they look. No idea how you'd pick one if you only have one space in your team.

Mind, it makes life simple if you build your team around one and then he gets injured.

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Apparently Exeter will be looking for Kvesic to take on a more attacking role. Baxter has said: "some of the qualities he had at Worcester will be some of the ones we want to reignite ... we'd like to see him become a bit more of an attacking player for us".

I don't really recall him standing out in attack at Worcester TBH? I definitely don't think of him as a carrier/link man.

In fairness, that may be because it was a few years ago or it may be because he's always shone at the breakdown, but either way it's positive to hear that Exeter are looking at developing his game. At 24, he's still surprisingly young and as much as Eddie doesn't like him now, I wonder if more of an attacking element to his game would tip the balance in his favour?
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

fivepointer wrote:The Curry's are mighty impressive for their age. England is a real option a little down the line but for now I'd like to see them together with Mercer in the u20's back row. Unlikely it will be the 6n's given club commitments but for the JWC they could be something special.
I agree. I was surprised to see that Will Evans has had a similar amount of game time with Leicester this season. Perhaps the environment at Sale has given the Currys a better platform to shine, but it's definitely fair to say Evans hasn't been anywhere near as eye-catching.

I don't want them to be rushed in to the senior set-up, but they definitely look as though they have the talent to break through in this World Cup cycle.

Our U20s side will be very strong again this year and I don't think we should estimate the positive impact our success in the age grades has had on our current team. If we can maintain it, I think we will have a fantastic team in the next few years.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I feel like his carrying and linking game was all I heard about when he was 'a promising player that needs a bigger club to get in the England radar' but I never actually saw much of it. I just find everything Baxter says to be brilliant. Exeter will probably get a lot of him, good for them.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Scrumhead wrote:Apparently Exeter will be looking for Kvesic to take on a more attacking role. Baxter has said: "some of the qualities he had at Worcester will be some of the ones we want to reignite ... we'd like to see him become a bit more of an attacking player for us".

I don't really recall him standing out in attack at Worcester TBH? I definitely don't think of him as a carrier/link man.

In fairness, that may be because it was a few years ago or it may be because he's always shone at the breakdown, but either way it's positive to hear that Exeter are looking at developing his game. At 24, he's still surprisingly young and as much as Eddie doesn't like him now, I wonder if more of an attacking element to his game would tip the balance in his favour?
At Wuss he played a fair amount of time at 8, and as with Harrison last season that does give you more chance to carry having built up a head of steam than at 7. Which isn't to say Glaws couldn't have looked to use Kvesic in more attacking fashion for himself and not just supporting the team, though someone does need to support the team
Epaminondas Pules

Post by Epaminondas Pules »

Puja wrote:
twitchy wrote:Tough question which on is better? They are both 7's right?
They are, although I've seen them both slot in at 6 and I'd imagine they could have a fair go at 8 as well. I genuinely haven't a scoob which one is better as they play almost as identically as they look. No idea how you'd pick one if you only have one space in your team.

Mind, it makes life simple if you build your team around one and then he gets injured.

Puja
At schools level they played 6&7, or rather most regularly left and right, as it was simply worth getting both on the pitch. For England age grades they tended to have one start at 7 and then bring the other on, though often this was at 6. Having them either side of Ben Earl was a very handy back row!!
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I got my hopes up we were getting a squad announcement today.
kk67

Post by kk67 »

p/d wrote:
morepork wrote:

Yep. I was only thinking how both Nowell and May would benefit from having Lozowski alongside them.

Sometimes think he should look for the pass a bit more rather than battering it up himself, though does make good yardage every time. Strangely enough the one time I thought he should have kept the ball was when his pass led to Jackson being binned.
He's just a very natural player who reads the game/plays heads-up and goes where an extra man is needed.
With a bit more height he could play any position in the backline. I'm glad he's avoided that trap because versatility has shortened the career of a lot of test players.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Just watched the sarries last try v Scarlets on rugbydump and it just reminded me how much Farrel has improved. I think in my head I still judge him because I felt he was over rated when he came through but he really does have a very good all round game now
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Exeter are having a rough time injury wise. Hepburn gone for the season.

http://www.exeterexpressandecho.co.uk/e ... story.html
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

According to The Times, Kruis definately fit to face France, Haskell cleared to play this weekend and Marler hopeful he will BE recovered for the start of the 6N.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Strong case for Maro at 6. I'm sold. That way we can get Launchbury in the side and still have Lawes on the bench.
Puja

Post by Puja »

fivepointer wrote:Strong case for Maro at 6. I'm sold. That way we can get Launchbury in the side and still have Lawes on the bench.
Why wouldn't you have Launch/Lawes starting and Kruis on the bench? Lawes is in superb form, Kruis is only just back from injury and not match sharp, and Launch/Lawes is a tried and tested combo, especially if we have to suffer Hartley at 2.

Puja
Backist Monk