Snap General Election called

Mellsblue

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Mellsblue »

Just when you think UK politics is at the bottom some idiot manages to prove you wrong.
Digby

Post by Digby »

In his defence he says he didn't make the connection between the brand name and the massacre, which of course is highly believable, so maybe we're judging a man who simply likes to put a loaf of bread on his head and be photoed doing so (using a very loose definition of bread what with it being mass produced crap)
Digby

Post by Digby »

Boris running to the defence of Toby Young and his 'banter' has brought forward some old comments by Boris, whether on a Labour Party Conference and “The real reason why Blackpool is buzzing with glamorous women is surely that they scent victory,” he wrote. “It is not the great smell of Brut that makes John Prescott attractive. It is the whiff of power. With the fickleness of their sex, they are following the polls.” or the of course reasonable “If gay marriage was OK – and I was uncertain on the issue – then I saw no reason in principle why a union should not be consecrated between three men, as well as two men, or indeed three men and a dog.”

One assumes the various ramblings of Boris will see him continue with one of the highest offices in the country, thank heavens for strong and stable leadership values.
Digby

Post by Digby »

In the event it's all gone a bit panto, Grayling announced as new party chair swiftly followed by a claim that he hasn't
Digby

Post by Digby »

Cabinet reshuffle eventually confirmed Brandon Lewis as the new Conservative Party Chairman, seems some people really do like those blue passports coming back
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Have we ever had such a week PM?
We know she's been been dead woman walking ever since shooting herself in the foot in the OP for this thread. But her Health Secretary not only refuses to be fired in a reshuffle, but actually adds to his brief. The reshuffle to bring in more females results in her most prominent female quitting in protest. The man she throws her weight behind quits the very next day...
Digby

Post by Digby »

Which Tyler wrote:Have we ever had such a week PM?..
Seems comparable to Major and Brown, at least toward the end of their tenures. May moved quickly to such point by starting like it was the end of her tenure
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Which Tyler wrote: her Health Secretary not only refuses to be fired in a reshuffle, but actually adds to his brief...
Where did you hear this?!?!? Hunt is incredibly highly thought of and the only move he was making was a promotion - possibly chancellor until Hammond saved himself at the budget or Chairman. Anything else is rubbish. No idea how his new/added role came about but it makes sense. Hopefully, it'll be reflected in policy rather than just being a pointless rebranding.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Which Tyler wrote: The reshuffle to bring in more females results in her most prominent female quitting in protest....
And who is this? Greening? She went kicking and screaming - she was desperate to hold on to Education. She quit after being offered a demotion. Also, her most prominent female is Rudd. I'm no fan of May but lets try and stick to facts.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:
Which Tyler wrote: her Health Secretary not only refuses to be fired in a reshuffle, but actually adds to his brief...
Where did you hear this?!?!? Hunt is incredibly highly thought of and the only move he was making was a promotion - possibly chancellor until Hammond saved himself at the budget or Chairman. Anything else is rubbish. No idea how his new/added role came about but it makes sense. Hopefully, it'll be reflected in policy rather than just being a pointless rebranding.
By who and for what reason?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
The powers (mostly) that be in the Conservative party, for being a Conservative Health Secretary dealing with what he's had to deal with and not being hounded out. Most think he's done a good job in a bad situation not of his making (the reorg of his hapless predecessor), and that he has pushed through necessary but controversial reforms - junior doctors, performance tables and moving (slowly) away from the secretive culture over mistakes/witch-hunt of whistle blowers to a proactive reporting system, to name the most important.
He is/would be seen as a potential leader if it weren't for the fact he dared to take on the NHS sacred cow and has therefore now become too toxic.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: Where did you hear this?!?!? Hunt is incredibly highly thought of and the only move he was making was a promotion - possibly chancellor until Hammond saved himself at the budget or Chairman. Anything else is rubbish. No idea how his new/added role came about but it makes sense. Hopefully, it'll be reflected in policy rather than just being a pointless rebranding.
The powers (mostly) that be in the Conservative party, for being a Conservative Health Secretary dealing with what he's had to deal with and not being hounded out. Most think he's done a good job in a bad situation not of his making (the reorg of his hapless predecessor), and that he has pushed through necessary but controversial reforms - junior doctors, performance tables and moving (slowly) away from the secretive culture over mistakes/witch-hunt of whistle blowers to a proactive reporting system, to name the most important.
He is/would be seen as a potential leader if it weren't for the fact he dared to take on the NHS sacred cow and has therefore now become too toxic.
Ah. Well if the powers that be like him I suppose that's something. I've never met anyone in the NHS or civil service (or indeed anywhere else) with a nice word to say about him, not even a neutral word tbh
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:
Ah. Well if the powers that be like him I suppose that's something. I've never met anyone in the NHS or civil service (or indeed anywhere else) with a nice word to say about him, not even a neutral word tbh
Seeing as we were talking about a Conservative govt party reshuffle, and the insinuation that Hunt was to be sacked, I assumed that it was implicit that when saying 'Hunt is incredibly highly thought of' I was talking about the power brokers in the Conservative party.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Sad day for ‘don’t know’ as they slip to second place:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Digby

Post by Digby »

I'm amazed don't know isn't a clear winner
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I think it was during the autumn.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:I think it was during the autumn.
Since when May has vacillated, and Corbyn has done..., well nothing. Go figure
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:
Yep. Not really sure what has changed since then to put don’t know in to second.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:
Yep. Not really sure what has changed since then to put don’t know in to second.
There seemed to be some illusion that Corbyn was going to oppose Brexit, which has been thoroughly disabused.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:
There seemed to be some illusion that Corbyn was going to oppose Brexit, which has been thoroughly disabused.
Corbyn is probably more pro leaving than May, but being in opposition he's felt he didn't need to do anything. Whether Corbyn can keep his pro EU youth vote now they've confirmed stealing private firms as the core of the next manifesto I don't know, it does rather give the game away he's anti EU, but that should have been clear to anyone impressed with him from some time back

As an intellectual argument this might get interesting, so far it's been leaver Vs remainer but increasingly we're now going to get the more rabid Brexiters take on each other, 'cause there's no way Corbyn's take on what's needed equates to Mogg's. Sadly it's not only an intellectual argument and it'll play out in reality.

I wonder as an aside how much we've already spent on Brexit without anything actually happening?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: Yep. Not really sure what has changed since then to put don’t know in to second.
Corbyn is probably more pro leaving than May, but being in opposition he's felt he didn't need to do anything. Whether Corbyn can keep his pro EU youth vote now they've confirmed stealing private firms as the core of the next manifesto I don't know, it does rather give the game away he's anti EU, but that should have been clear to anyone impressed with him from some time back

As an intellectual argument this might get interesting, so far it's been leaver Vs remainer but increasingly we're now going to get the more rabid Brexiters take on each other, 'cause there's no way Corbyn's take on what's needed equates to Mogg's. Sadly it's not only an intellectual argument and it'll play out in reality.

I wonder as an aside how much we've already spent on Brexit without anything actually happening?
Yes, obviously, apart from those who thought Labour were going to ride to the rescue. As you say, Labour seemingly don't have to do anything save watch the Tories fck everything up. Surprising they've done any more than reveal their pet strategy, but McDonnell looks to now believe its in the bag and can state some policies. We shall see..

ETA, when I say policies I mean a wish list comprising sound bites
Last edited by Banquo on Fri Feb 16, 2018 3:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:
Banquo wrote: There seemed to be some illusion that Corbyn was going to oppose Brexit, which has been thoroughly disabused.

As you say, Labour seemingly don't have to do anything save watch the Tories fck everything up.
Yet Corbyn is behind May and the parties are within the margin of error.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Digby wrote:

As you say, Labour seemingly don't have to do anything save watch the Tories fck everything up.
Yet Corbyn is behind May and the parties are within the margin of error.
odd innit, but 3-4 years hence, the UK won't be U or K, and government by spreadsheet and brexit will make this an even bleaker place.

Depressing innit
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote: the parties are within the margin of error.
More errors than the Quins defence against Wasps tbh