Moderator: Puja

Banquo

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Banquo »

Timbo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Timbo wrote:
It’s clearly not and no.
It’s been mentioned numerous times that he’s no longer EQP and has never wanted to be EQP. The point is that a player who has come through the English academy system achieved more in 60 mins against Scotland than the entire England team, crying out for carriers, achieved in 80mins. There’s a certain irony there, whether you’ve missed the point or not.

There have been numerous posts lamenting the fact Eddie hasn’t picked him. Twitchy’s post half way up the page implies this also.
They were much earlier in the thread, before what you have re-stated was made clear. The debate had moved on to whether we actually would benefit from him, were he available (and as I clearly said, a moot point), and Twitchy's humourous comment reflected the irony of that, as he (imo) looks a player who would be handy. That was where we had go to from where I was posting.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

So, we have no backs/attack Coach and we should rest the Lions. I have a cunning plan: Farrell as coach for the summer tour. I also have a cunning plan for how they can save money on cappuccinos whilst they are out there, but that’s for another time.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Which Tyler wrote:For those who are interested in that chart going around a while ago about minutes played by the various Lions; I put this together last night during insomnia.
Domestic rugby only; but all domestic rugby (the previous chart was only Prem / Pro14 / Top14 - this includes EPRC and AWC)
Coloured by where the player plays as I'm interested in that, so not just league, but not nationality either:
Depressingly, it's reminded me that the likes of Kristian Dacey, Cory Hill, Matt Stevens, Ugo Monye, Riki Flutey etc all get to call themselves Lions Tourists :(

Editted to make it clearer that the colours are for the player's club; and to correct my cock-ups on the likes of Billy or Payne who haven't played a part in this year's 6N, and thus I cocked up and looked at their 2016/17 season. Have also added the average number of minutes played for the squad as a whole; just... because I could.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Looks like billy is struggling to be fit for the leinster game and nowell is for long period also.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Genge looks like he'll be back for Tigers at the weekend.

Harry Williams likely to be out for a few weeks.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Jack Clifford back into the Quins 23 for tomorrow. Very good news.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Do I dare ask if there an update on manu's latest injury?
Stom

Post by Stom »

twitchy wrote:Do I dare ask if there an update on manu's latest injury?
Nope. Scan results pending, I guess.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

I’m pinning my hopes on the shot of him at the final whistle. He didn’t look too concerned or in too much discomfort.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Mellsblue wrote:I’m pinning my hopes on the shot of him at the final whistle. He didn’t look too concerned or in too much discomfort.
From the account, it suggests he is being cautious with these things. I think he probably felt tightness/discomfort, and immediately said "nah, mate, that's it". Later he realised he probably could have played on with no problem.

Which is a good thing.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Stom wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:I’m pinning my hopes on the shot of him at the final whistle. He didn’t look too concerned or in too much discomfort.
From the account, it suggests he is being cautious with these things. I think he probably felt tightness/discomfort, and immediately said "nah, mate, that's it". Later he realised he probably could have played on with no problem.

Which is a good thing.
watching it, it looked like the opposite; medics came on to treat him, but he then carried on for a minute or two. Then went off, and was filmed looking in some pain. We will find out soon enough!
Puja

Post by Puja »

Well we've got a fortnight off, so if we're really lucky he'll be back for the next Prem game.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

According to Ben Kay, via O'Connor, it’s not a tendon issue, as with the the injury to his other pec that kept him out for ages. It is muscular, so a matter of weeks rather than months.
p/d

Post by p/d »

Brad ‘nails’ Barritt is fit to play after they screwed ia titanium plate onto his fractured cheekbone on Tuesday
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Billy won't play vs munster. As a non sarries fan I'm actually pretty relieved.

English rugby should really be represented by a pair of crutches this season shouldn't it.

Incidentally I'm seeing more and more chatter around ring fencing the prem. I'm actually pretty sold on the idea now.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Banquo wrote:
Stom wrote:

Which is a good thing.
watching it, it looked like the opposite; medics came on to treat him, but he then carried on for a minute or two. Then went off, and was filmed looking in some pain. We will find out soon enough!
Can it really just be bad luck? Tuilagi's injuries are too varied and too frequent. I suggest he should get a new medical management team. He has clearly been working hard in the gym but has it been to good effect?

I am no fitness expert but looking at the guy, I would say no heavy weights. I'd have him in Spain doing sand dune work for stamina. I'd reduce his calorie intake marginally and I'd concentrate on toughening his body on an 80 minute basis. I'd do that for two months before any impact work. I'd give him a ball and some juniors to develop his hands and keep a fun element.

I'd also get a tactician in to supervise impact work once he was toughened (eg Ashton). He has to change his game. Battering ram style tactics are great to watch and have merit in theory. His body can no longer cope with that constantly as demonstrated by multiple failed comebacks. He has to develop gap vision not concentrate on smashing opposition flesh. Getting his shoulder beyond the tackler and off-loading can be more effective with his brute strength anyway. Reducing his bulk and developing 80 minute stamina could give him a new lease of life.

He also has to learn to defend in a new way. Tackling in a confrontational front-on way increases injury risk. He needs to limit that and just tackle lower most of the time.

Of course, I don't know the bloke. Has he got the brain and character to adapt? Has he got the guts to demand a new fitness regime? Is Leicester the right place for him or the club at this stage? Something has to change or his career will fade away to zilch, IMO.
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Dont think he can radically alter his shape or change the way he plays. He is what he is. Is he just unlucky, or is his body simply not up to the demands of the game? I dont know. He has had lower body issues and now it appears to be the upper body letting him own.
Looks like he will miss a couple of games and wont make the SA tour - http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/rugbyu ... -tour.html
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

twitchy wrote: Incidentally I'm seeing more and more chatter around ring fencing the prem. I'm actually pretty sold on the idea now.
How would this help injuries?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
twitchy wrote: Incidentally I'm seeing more and more chatter around ring fencing the prem. I'm actually pretty sold on the idea now.
yes, the proposal bandied about won't reduce games.
p/d

Post by p/d »

Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
but could allow for better player rotation, i suppose
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

p/d wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: How would this help injuries?
I suppose. But if you are going to do it, make the league smaller.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

p/d wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: How would this help injuries?
Name me an EPS player who currently is involved in a battle to avoid relegation, other than Teo. I can’t see anyone from Bath upwards resting anyone as they’re all battling for Chanpions Cup qualification, the playoffs or a home semifinal. Ring fencing wouldn’t solve that.
p/d

Post by p/d »

Mellsblue wrote:
p/d wrote:
Banquo wrote: yes, the proposal bandied about won't reduce games.
Name me an EPS player who currently is involved in a battle to avoid relegation, other than Teo. I can’t see anyone from Bath upwards resting anyone as they’re all battling for Chanpions Cup qualification, the playoffs or a home semifinal. Ring fencing wouldn’t solve that.
Point well made Mells
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

p/d wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
p/d wrote:
Point well made Mells
Throw enough darts and every now and then you’ll hit the bullseye.
Puja

Post by Puja »

The RFU shouldn't allow ringfencing without some quid pro quo - it's the only lever they still have on the clubs.

Puja
Backist Monk