The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

Cameo

Re: The Glasgow Beach Rugby Thread

Post by Cameo »

hp18 wrote:
Cameo wrote:
hp18 wrote:3 year contract for Fagerson.
That's good. Any views on whether he might be first choice next season
He could nail that over the course of the season. Won't be bothered if he doesn't. Props (even phenomenally talented ones) take time to mature.
You're right. It'd be handy for Glasgow though! If they want to crack Europe the front row needs to improve
Big D

Post by Big D »

Cameo wrote:
hp18 wrote:
Cameo wrote:
That's good. Any views on whether he might be first choice next season
He could nail that over the course of the season. Won't be bothered if he doesn't. Props (even phenomenally talented ones) take time to mature.
You're right. It'd be handy for Glasgow though! If they want to crack Europe the front row needs to improve
If by 1st choice you mean starting all the big games then I would agree that it would be handy. But as a young prop I hope is minutes on the field continues to be limited to a manageable figure.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Excellent news for Fagerson. Whilst Pufaisi has improved a LOT over the last few weeks he still isn't a good enough first choice for the level Glasgow want to be competing at (making Euro quarters, competing at the top end of the pro 12).
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Story in the evening standard tonight linking Townsend to Quins to replace O'Shea. I don't think it'll happen but not ruling it out. 70:30 in my view.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

It wouldn't be a great move for him. A lot is expected of Quins - they're in a trough at the moment and they don't have the squad to get out of it imo.

On the topic of Glasgow news over 20 Scarlets players have been hit by a bug - there was no training today and they'll assess the squad tomorrow. I was already expecting a Glasgow win but this could be a rout if they have to draft in premiership players.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Strong, strong team from the weeg. Naka and Swinson are the wrong way around and 20 & 21 aren't as strong as they could be but that's some squad. Missing an openside too but Favaro might be injured.

15. Stuart Hogg
14. Tommy Seymour
13. Mark Bennett
12. Alex Dunbar
11. Lee Jones
10. Finn Russell
9. Henry Pyrgos

1. Gordon Reid
2. Fraser Brown
3. Sila Puafisi
4. Tim Swinson
5. Jonny Gray (Captain)
6. Rob Harley
7. Ryan Wilson
8. Josh Strauss

Replacements

16. Pat MacArthur
17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
18. Zander Fagerson
19. Leone Nakarawa
20. Tyrone Holmes
21. Grayson Hart
22. Duncan Weir
23. Taqele Naiyaravoro
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Scarlets not too affected by illness after all...

15 Liam Williams, 14 Steff Evans, 13 Gareth Owen, 12 Hadleigh Parkes, 11 DTH van der Merwe, 10 Steve Shingler, 9 Gareth Davies, 1 Rob Evans, 2 Ken Owens ©, 3 Samson Lee, 4 Jake Ball, 5 David Bulbring, 6 Maselino Paulino, 7 James Davies, 8 John Barclay

Replacements; Kirby Myhill, Phil John, Peter Edwards, George Earle, Morgan Allen, Aled Davies, Aled Thomas, Steff Hughes
hp18

Post by hp18 »

switchskier wrote:Story in the evening standard tonight linking Townsend to Quins to replace O'Shea. I don't think it'll happen but not ruling it out. 70:30 in my view.
Eilidh Barbour ‎@EilidhBarbour

Gregor Townsend says he WILL be @GlasgowWarriors head coach next season. Calls link with @QuinsRugbyUnion a 'non story'
The Coo is dead. Long live The Coo.
Matt Ha

Post by Matt Ha »

I would have Price ahead of Hart, but one can't have everything.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Matt Ha wrote:I would have Price ahead of Hart, but one can't have everything.
Is there anyone except Townsend who wouldn't?
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Mikey Brown wrote:
It depends what you want from your replacement halfback pairing. Price is great for running game and keeping the pace up, Hart is much more adept at being a niggly f@#ker, baiting the oppos into making mistakes, controlling the ball getting back to Weir who's able to step up and nail any resulting kicks at goal.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

hp18 wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
It depends what you want from your replacement halfback pairing. Price is great for running game and keeping the pace up, Hart is much more adept at being a niggly f@#ker, baiting the oppos into making mistakes, controlling the ball getting back to Weir who's able to step up and nail any resulting kicks at goal.
You're clutching. Hart isn't good enough.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Sounds like they are shitting themselves
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
hp18 wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
I like the Weir nailing kicks at goal bit. That was a while ago when he was particularly good at that.

Glad Townsend is staying. I think he is desperate to do something in Europe but wouldnt be too surprised to see him leave after next season. Possibly to France for a spell
hp18

Post by hp18 »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:
hp18 wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:
As national coach, surely you could tell him that?
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

How does GT's budget at Glasgow compare to available budgets in England? If he's looking at what he can achieve with a squad, I can see France being attractive to him, but it might be that only certain English clubs would have the same potential from a coaching POV

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Donny osmond wrote:How does GT's budget at Glasgow compare to available budgets in England? If he's looking at what he can achieve with a squad, I can see France being attractive to him, but it might be that only certain English clubs would have the same potential from a coaching POV

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk
Toony seems like a bloke who is in it for the long term. He won't get time in France. You're either in a relegation dogfight or you're competing for the league and cup. There is no middle ground.

PS, Glasgow going well so far but Clancy doing his best to impose himself. Glasgow could have done a lot more damage.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Seymour has come on leaps and bounds since he joined Glasgow but by god I do wish he would stop charging out of the defensive line like that. Glasgow still well on top. 10-3. Despite being 7 points ahead they've been pretty wasteful.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Anyone got a link to a stream
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Afraid not, watching on sky. Means there should be one somewhere though.

Russell is the star of this match so far. Glasgow well on top 15-3. Scarlets turning down kickable penalties to try get their try.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

A bit of individual brilliance from Liam Williams sees him through under the posts. He just glided through a group of 4 forwards... that probably helped!

15-10 weeg.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Lee Jones is having an excellent game as well.
Croft_No.5

Post by Croft_No.5 »

Excellent try from Lee Jones. Speed and power on the line
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Lee Jones is having an excellent game as well.
Speak of the devil... An unepxected turnover, dummy and a superb Pyrgos break sees him pass to Jones on the wing who shows off the pace he was famous for and finish in the corner.. but not before he fends off a couple of tackles!

Conversion is not good. 20-10. 1 more try for the BP.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Croft_No.5 wrote:Excellent try from Lee Jones. Speed and power on the line
A very, very good player. Edinburgh letting him go was absolutely mental.