The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

whatisthejava

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by whatisthejava »

Cameo wrote:Not a great performance. Good maul in attack and defence and were the better team but way too many penalties and shakybin defence. Seemed to be daring Connaught to win it.

I also wasnt convinced by Hogg's putting it down at the end. If he was going to do that he should have tried to evade his men for five more seconds and end the game
We get the benefit of seeing the clock, at the end of games i used to be blowing out my hole so not sure i would be bothered.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

From the beeb report

Nick Grigg was adjudged to have infringed at the breakdown, allowing Ronaldson the chance to snatch victory, but Rennie revealed Ian Davies had apologised to the Scotland centre for incorrectly penalising him.

I have to say I watched the penalty at the time and thought it was wrong, regs shouldnt be getting these wrong, apologizing after the fact feels a little like covering their own arse.
Big D

Post by Big D »

whatisthejava wrote:From the beeb report

Nick Grigg was adjudged to have infringed at the breakdown, allowing Ronaldson the chance to snatch victory, but Rennie revealed Ian Davies had apologised to the Scotland centre for incorrectly penalising him.

I have to say I watched the penalty at the time and thought it was wrong, regs shouldnt be getting these wrong, apologizing after the fact feels a little like covering their own arse.
True but at the same time they should have what a scrum 5 with a very easy drop goal attempt on a plate.
af73

Post by af73 »

Not that he would have but if the penalty had been successful, the apology for the incorrect decision would amount to costing Glasgow the game.

The usual adage of decisions evening themselves out doesn't apply - it was the last kick of the game.

Remember a Glasgow v Montferrand game years ago. Penalty given on half-way with time up (instead of restart) following foul play after Montferrand scored the match winning try.
The French players formed a human pyramid to prevent the ball going over the bar (a move outlawed after this game). Ref played advantage for ....then blew time up.

1. Ball would have gone over the bar but for the deliberate knock down. (Irrespective of the legality of the ploy at the time).
2. Full time blown indicated the advantage was for a simple knock on (scrum) rather than deliberate one (penalty)

All explained by;

3 Referee: Alan Lewis.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Big D wrote:

True but at the same time they should have what a scrum 5 with a very easy drop goal attempt on a plate.
Having just seen the highlights, I was going to mention just what Java did above. It feels shitty winning from a missed kick at the death, but it seemed comforting that the penalty call was wrong so shouldn't have been attempted anyway. What are you referring to with the scrum 5?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Also looked to be some pretty ropey moments from Hastings.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Big D wrote:

Having just seen the highlights, I was going to mention just what Java did above. It feels shitty winning from a missed kick at the death, but it seemed comforting that the penalty call was wrong so shouldn't have been attempted anyway. What are you referring to with the scrum 5?
The scrum 5 comes from a couple of minutes earlier. Connacht tried a drop goal and missed. Hogg caught it before it crossed the try line (I think) the wandered back over the try line and killed a few seconds before putting it down (possibly thinking it would be time up). The ref should have given a 5 metre scrum but instead gave a 22 to Glasgow from where they cleared it into the Connacht 22
Big D

Post by Big D »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Big D wrote:

Preceding the penalty, there was a 22 drop out.

Reason for the 22 was Hogg collected the ball within the field of play, travelled into the in goal area and touched down. The laws of the game state that's a 5m scrum to the opposition not a 22.

Massive error by Hogg, even bigger error by the ref. We'd be fuming if that happened to a Scottish side.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote:Also looked to be some pretty ropey moments from Hastings.
I remember hastings being fine but not really stamping any authority on it. G Horne had the same issue
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

RE: Hastings, I guess there’s a lot more pressure on him now with Russel gone and no depth at all there for Scotland. It just seemed notable how well Glashow held it together with him off the pitch, then he came back on and missed a horrible tackle to five away a match-losing position. Really not trying to be too down on him though, he’s got some skills.

Anyone know the injury situation with Dunbar and Jones? Dunbar on the bench again looks weird to me. I hope he’s just easing his way back rather than truly not being as good as Grigg. Similarly I’d hope Jones is just getting an extra rest after a very long season but did he have some surgery scheduled or anything?

I was starting to ramble on another thread about depth at centre but wasn’t quite sure where to put it. At least of Dunbar/Jones fully firing is pretty crucial.

I like that backrow a lot.

Oof. Missed Harley at lock. Why is that still a thing?
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Very good first half and hung on in the second. Good win overall. Thought Hastings, Gray and Hogg were very good. Not sure Horne's pass is that sharp right now although he is showing all his usual energy, tackling and support lines
ARM

Post by ARM »

Cameo wrote:Very good first half and hung on in the second. Good win overall. Thought Hastings, Gray and Hogg were very good. Not sure Horne's pass is that sharp right now although he is showing all his usual energy, tackling and support lines
Pack’s playing well at the moment with Kebble making a difference to the scrum. Hope Ashe keeps fit - have always liked him as a player.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

If Ashe stays fit he has to be a walk into the scotland team.
Big D

Post by Big D »

The ECC cup games are important for Ashe. I'm not sure we've elevated him above his actual level of performance based on Vern promoting him early and then absence making the heart grow fonder.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Big D wrote:The ECC cup games are important for Ashe. I'm not sure we've elevated him above his actual level of performance based on Vern promoting him early and then absence making the heart grow fonder.
Good point. I agree. Vern used to use an analogy about there not being much point in throwing darts at a dartboard if they weren’t going to stick - not sure if Ashe was covered under that. Anyway, he’s a couple of years further down the road now and will hopefully get an injury-free run. Will be important how he does v Saracens in particular.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

whatisthejava wrote:If Ashe stays fit he has to be a walk into the scotland team.
You what? No.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

Barclay is injured
Wilson is to lightweight
Strauss is no where on toonies radar
Denton still has no hands

who’s your starting back row
Chunks Baws

Post by Chunks Baws »

whatisthejava wrote:Barclay is injured
Wilson is to lightweight

According to Mark Palmer our coaches are keeping a very close eye on Blade Thomson at the Scarlets.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

The thought of yet another Southern Hemisphere saviour in the backrow worries me, we’ve had brief flashes of success with some of them but that’s about it. I really hoped somebody else might have stood up and demanded that 8 shirt already.

I really like Ashe, he’s got the abrasive edge but can his body stand up to it?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Chunks Baws wrote:
Wilson is to lightweight

According to Mark Palmer our coaches are keeping a very close eye on Blade Thomson at the Scarlets.
Even if he doesn't deserve it but is keen - cap him before he gets ideas of qualifying for Wales.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Wilson is to lightweight

I'm not saying Ashe isn't an option but walks straight into the team? No chance.

I'd go for Watson, Wilson and Bradbury. Ritchie on the bench probably. Depends on Bradbury actually making some appearances though...
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Mikey Brown wrote:The thought of yet another Southern Hemisphere saviour in the backrow worries me, we’ve had brief flashes of success with some of them but that’s about it. I really hoped somebody else might have stood up and demanded that 8 shirt already.

I really like Ashe, he’s got the abrasive edge but can his body stand up to it?
I wouldn't call him a saviour - nobody thinks he's that. Not sure if you've seen Thomson play but I'd say he's on par with Maitland NZ quality wise when we signed him - probably a bit more experienced actually. He would be a coup if we cap him.

His flexibility would also be hugely beneficial if we're going to keep rolling with Watson and Barclay at 7 and 6 in the long term.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I wasn't particularly commenting on his quality, I haven't seen him, it's just we're all so desperate to fill that gaping hole in the backrow for a big, abrasive ball carrier. I don't want to get my hopes up for another CdP, Cowan, Hardie.

Flexibility in what sense?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Jesus Christ. Right. Just warning you all. The guy we were talking about is Thomson, without a 'p'. Do not type Blade Thompson into google > videos while you are at work.
Adder

Re: RE: Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by Adder »

Mikey Brown wrote:Jesus Christ. Right. Just warning you all. The guy we were talking about is Thomson, without a 'p'. Do not type Blade Thompson into google > videos while you are at work.
HmmmmImage

Sent from my Moto G (5S) using Tapatalk