Snap General Election called

Digby

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Digby »

Sandydragon wrote:
I read today that Vince’s days are numbered.
He's not exactly the young man of liberal politics, he could drop any day

I forget her name butI think the Lib Dems have a female spokesperson on education who looks good for a leadership role, she speaks well, whether she proves up to task we'll have to wait and see. I know they're also mulling the idea the leader needn't be an MP given a choice more limited than Corbyn's take on Israel, but that's problematic given the role of parliament
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Digby wrote:
Sandydragon wrote:
I read today that Vince’s days are numbered.
He's not exactly the young man of liberal politics, he could drop any day

I forget her name butI think the Lib Dems have a female spokesperson on education who looks good for a leadership role, she speaks well, whether she proves up to task we'll have to wait and see. I know they're also mulling the idea the leader needn't be an MP given a choice more limited than Corbyn's take on Israel, but that's problematic given the role of parliament
Yeah, I can’t see how you can be a party leader and not an MP. It’s not like we have an elected president. That said, I can see the value in non MPs with a public presence being a supporting act, after all La our has the unions and the Tories have big business leaders.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

The number of new Labour members would make a leadership bid by anyone not on the left of the party a remote chance. I suggest that if they become disillusioned and leave it’s a different ball game. But right now, moderate labour MPs aren’t on the sam page as their party membership.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Labour NEC deselects Ann Black and appoints Yasmin Dar, which suggests again it's not enough to be well over to the left, there needs to be zeal in the support given to the Glorious Leader
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Digby wrote:Labour NEC deselects Ann Black and appoints Yasmin Dar, which suggests again it's not enough to be well over to the left, there needs to be zeal in the support given to the Glorious Leader
It’s a long road back for anyone vaguely moderate.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Presently it's not just a long road back but starting on an incline so steep it's hard to see how they wouldn't either stall or burn out the clutch, on the off chance someone can even be bothered to try. And yet, they're not that far behind in the polls
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:Presently it's not just a long road back but starting on an incline so steep it's hard to see how they wouldn't either stall or burn out the clutch, on the off chance someone can even be bothered to try. And yet, they're not that far behind in the polls
Behind. They’re ahead!!
Peat

Post by Peat »

Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:Presently it's not just a long road back but starting on an incline so steep it's hard to see how they wouldn't either stall or burn out the clutch, on the off chance someone can even be bothered to try. And yet, they're not that far behind in the polls
Behind. They’re ahead!!
Depends which poll you're looking at.

I do wonder at what point the Labour party splits.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Peat wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Behind. They’re ahead!!

Poll of polls has them 0.5 ahead. Miles within margin of error, obvs, but still ahead.
As for which they point at. Probably the one that called the GE correctly (and won me a few quid) and has them 4 points (I think) ahead.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Peat wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Behind. They’re ahead!!

I don't think it will. The left didn't secede when Blair was in; they just whined a lot and agitated. I think the same will happen from the right and they'll wait their turn. The various bits of Labour may hate each other, but they're aware that a split will make them utterly irrelevant and guarantee Tory governments as far as the eye can see. And while they hate each other, it's nothing for what they feel about the Conservatives.

Puja
Backist Monk
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Puja wrote:
Peat wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: Behind. They’re ahead!!

I don't think it will. The left didn't secede when Blair was in; they just whined a lot and agitated. I think the same will happen from the right and they'll wait their turn. The various bits of Labour may hate each other, but they're aware that a split will make them utterly irrelevant and guarantee Tory governments as far as the eye can see. And while they hate each other, it's nothing for what they feel about the Conservatives.

Puja
I doubt they will split, but the ‘Blairites’ have more in common with the ‘Cameroons’ than they do with the ‘Corbynistas’.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Looks like the MSM are ‘smearing’ yet another of our politicians who inexplicably has a cultish following:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Like the David Mellor story it seems weird even one woman was willing to sleep with him
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

The promise of political power. Helping ugly people have sex for centuries.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Sarkozy and Bruni being the ultimate example.
Peat

Post by Peat »

Puja wrote:
Peat wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: Behind. They’re ahead!!

Puja
I will admit to stealing most of my logic from Stephen Bush, but I think the split is now inevitable.

A lot of Corbyn hating MPs will agree with you, but I think there's 10-15 who hate Corbyn just as much as the Tories and feel they'll be just as irrelevant inside a Corbynite party as they would be outside - assuming re-selections don't get them first. They have no reason not to jump and therefore simply have to work out a better odds solution outside. And sooner or later they will.

Mells - Thanks for the poll info.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Peat wrote:
Puja wrote:
Peat wrote:

Puja
I will admit to stealing most of my logic from Stephen Bush, but I think the split is now inevitable.

A lot of Corbyn hating MPs will agree with you, but I think there's 10-15 who hate Corbyn just as much as the Tories and feel they'll be just as irrelevant inside a Corbynite party as they would be outside - assuming re-selections don't get them first. They have no reason not to jump and therefore simply have to work out a better odds solution outside. And sooner or later they will.

It would probably be better for British politics to have 3 parties covering the ground: a right wing party, a centrist part and a left wing party. It would probably result in more hung parliaments and more deals, but it would hopefully make things a little better...

BTW, I don't know why you call the Labour "centrists" moderates. They're far from moderate. Just because someone is closer to your views doesn't make them a moderate...
fivepointer

Post by fivepointer »

Peat wrote:
Puja wrote:
Peat wrote:

Puja

Bush knows his stuff and is well worth following.

A split has already started with Woodcock and Field peeling off and others very likely to go the same way, particularly if there is no real leadership on Brexit and the anti semitism issue. Conference will tell us a lot more and this could trigger some resignations.

Its just a matter of how many and whether they can form some sort of breakaway party.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Mellsblue wrote:Sarkozy and Bruni being the ultimate example.
Bunga Bunga?
Peat

Post by Peat »

Stom wrote:
Peat wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja

It would probably be better for British politics to have 3 parties covering the ground: a right wing party, a centrist part and a left wing party. It would probably result in more hung parliaments and more deals, but it would hopefully make things a little better...

BTW, I don't know why you call the Labour "centrists" moderates. They're far from moderate. Just because someone is closer to your views doesn't make them a moderate...
Because in terms of the great spectrum of British politics, their view points are by and large not extreme and quite close to the average?

What's not moderate about their views?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Sandydragon wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Sarkozy and Bruni being the ultimate example.
Bunga Bunga?
Good point. Bruni is a world class catch, though. If she were 20 years younger Silvio probably would’ve got there first.
Puja

Post by Puja »

fivepointer wrote:
Peat wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja

Bush knows his stuff and is well worth following.

A split has already started with Woodcock and Field peeling off and others very likely to go the same way, particularly if there is no real leadership on Brexit and the anti semitism issue. Conference will tell us a lot more and this could trigger some resignations.

Its just a matter of how many and whether they can form some sort of breakaway party.
I think a lot of them will be gnashing their teeth that they didn't support AV when it was on the table. With FPTP, any breakaway will be an irrelevance and voters in these polarised times give short shrift to those changing parties mid-term - just look at the Conservative to UKIP defectees and how they fared after turning their coats.

The only people who will break away will be those like Field, who was about to get deselected by his local party anyway for being daft enough to prop up the Chequers plan when May was on the rack. Anyone who's discontented but likely to keep their candidacy won't leave; they like power too much.

Puja
Backist Monk
kk67

Post by kk67 »

That would explain why Boris was so reluctant to give up his grace and favour residence.

Who is the lucky lady...?. The papps are going to go mental trying to find out. I think he had a canter on Rowan Pelling before ?.... maybe he's gone for a brideshead revisited.
Peat

Post by Peat »

Puja wrote:
I think a lot of them will be gnashing their teeth that they didn't support AV when it was on the table. With FPTP, any breakaway will be an irrelevance and voters in these polarised times give short shrift to those changing parties mid-term - just look at the Conservative to UKIP defectees and how they fared after turning their coats.

The only people who will break away will be those like Field, who was about to get deselected by his local party anyway for being daft enough to prop up the Chequers plan when May was on the rack. Anyone who's discontented but likely to keep their candidacy won't leave; they like power too much.

Puja
I just got signed out and lost my post so this will be brief, but

a) Read this, particularly the bit about the expecting deselections - https://www.newstatesman.com/politics/u ... corbyn-MPs

b) There's no end of politicians fighting long gambles and quixotic causes due to principles, emotion, and a lack of options. See above for lack of options; the situation is certainly emotionally charged; and if you believe the Labour right has principles, campaigning to make Corbyn Prime Minister betrays them (particularly those who've called Corbyn a racist/the Labour party institutionally anti-Semitic). We have the perfect apex here.

c) John McDonnell's interview with the NS and Chuka Umuna's letter to his constituency party are further grist to the mill of this is getting serious.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

Labour has always been made up of different groupings, but I can’t remember a period when they were so badly split. The 80s might have been a bit like this. But neither side wants to to give up on the constituency organisations, without whom getting elected is blydi difficult.

I think many labour MPs are uncomfortable. But they will hold their noses and hope it all gets better rather than risk their employment and future prospects. Some will depart through principle, but most likely those who are on the way out anyway or who have such strong personal appeal that they can get re-elected as independents.

On another note, it’s a bit rich for the current labour leadership to discipline MPs for not following the party line when Corbyn was a serial revel against previous leaderships.