The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

BlackCat1978

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by BlackCat1978 »

Basically, if Hastings and Price had started, it would have been an easy win imo. Horne, Peterson, Frisby, Wilson all utter gash.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

BlackCat1978 wrote:Basically, if Hastings and Price had started, it would have been an easy win imo. Horne, Peterson, Frisby, Wilson all utter gash.
Just checked out the highlights- if you want to call them that- and I see what you mean. I've got to say that a midfield combo of Horne-Grigg-Jones is just asking get shat on. I love Grigg's spirit, but there's only so many times you can see him held at arms length with ease as a linebreak is made.

Looking like a very familiar story for Glasgow. I hate the phrase, but there's just no dog.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

So, everyone totally lost interest or what? I know it was only the Dragons but it was good to see Dunbar look a bit sharper again and Hastings continue to do well. I'm keen to see how he goes next week. Saracens look pretty terrifying at the moment.

Tobylerone

Post by Tobylerone »

Mikey Brown wrote:So, everyone totally lost interest or what?
Hmm, anyone have any idea re. takeup of Premier Sports..?

Not bothered so far myself, as this looks like a rerun of last season.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Tobylerone wrote:
Mikey Brown wrote:So, everyone totally lost interest or what?
Hmm, anyone have any idea re. takeup of Premier Sports..?

Not bothered so far myself, as this looks like a rerun of last season.
I've taken it. Think it's pretty good value so far although I'd prefer something on terresterial.

It's probably a good sign that a re-run of last season is now seen as not worth watching! Top of the conference scoring loads of tries and then fade and lose in the semis. Is there a bit of a danger of having become a bit entitled?
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Agree on Dunbar and Hastings. Jones too.

I think Hastings is looking the real deal. Makes mistakes but his running game is very impressive
Big D

Post by Big D »

Premier sports is decent.

I have concerns over the Glasgow pack. Nothing seems to have changed.

In the northern hemisphere all the consistently good teams; Leinster, Sarries, etc all have solid packs who can mix it with anyone. Glasgow are built to fly through the "regular" season and falter in the games at the sharp end (or big euro group games).
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Do you not think they have consciously been trying to truck it up the middle more at times this season? I'd say most of the iffy defence at least has been out wide. Scrum looked very good at the beginning too though Fagerson is a loss
Big D

Post by Big D »

Cameo wrote:Do you not think they have consciously been trying to truck it up the middle more at times this season? I'd say most of the iffy defence at least has been out wide. Scrum looked very good at the beginning too though Fagerson is a loss
They have but I'm just not seeing anything that suggests a change in result against the big boys up front.

Considering Munster sent a weakened side up the fixture list hasn't been over challenging up front this far. I'd expect not to be over powered by the sides they have played.

Maybe I'm being harsh. I do hope to be surprised v Montpellier and Sarries but it's hope more than expectation.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Big D wrote:
Maybe I'm being harsh. I do hope to be surprised v Montpellier and Sarries but it's hope more than expectation.
Yeah, I think most are feeling that all the tries in the world vs the crap teams mean little until we see a performance in these games.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Cameo wrote:Agree on Dunbar and Hastings. Jones too.

I think Hastings is looking the real deal. Makes mistakes but his running game is very impressive
I haven't watched much this year but it seems to me that Hastings is standing flatter than last season now that he's more comfortable with the pace of the game?
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Mikey Brown wrote:
Big D wrote:
Yeah, I think most are feeling that all the tries in the world vs the crap teams mean little until we see a performance in these games.
That's fair but equally it seems early to say that nothing has changed. I'm not confident vs Sarries but if I was it'd mean I was confident of winning the whole thing
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Dodgy first half but decent win in the end. I'd be tempted to say that Hasting should now be Scotland's second choice 10 (although Horne gives more versatilitybfrom the bench)
Big D

Post by Big D »

Cameo wrote:Dodgy first half but decent win in the end. I'd be tempted to say that Hasting should now be Scotland's second choice 10 (although Horne gives more versatilitybfrom the bench)
I could see that. Him being 2nd choice 10 but not in 1st choice 23.
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

Big D wrote:
Cameo wrote:Dodgy first half but decent win in the end. I'd be tempted to say that Hasting should now be Scotland's second choice 10 (although Horne gives more versatilitybfrom the bench)
I could see that. Him being 2nd choice 10 but not in 1st choice 23.
He suffers a bit from not offering anything different from Russell. Weir seems to be doing well though going by reports.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

I’m not sure the team in general can play any other way though. Weir is a different kind of 10 but I just struggle to see him as good enough at this level. Horne is commanding and level-headed on his best days, but just not consistent enough and far better at 12.

Everything is dictated so heavily by the choice at 9 anyway. I’d like to have the Laidlaw option in the 23 as many teams would do with a kicking/controlling fly-half, but the only effective way of playing currently requires Russell at 10, if he goes down I think having a like-for-like is a positive.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Glasgow's off-field management continues to fail to impress. Big Brian has moved to Toulon. He will no longer become SQ. He was one of the last players who would have made it under the old 3 year residency rule. The fact that he was halfway through that should have been reason enough to retain him.

The guy had exceptional potential and his performances weren't exactly far off. He's probably the second or third best lock available to Glasgow imo.
Chunks Baws

Post by Chunks Baws »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Glasgow's off-field management continues to fail to impress. Big Brian has moved to Toulon. He will no longer become SQ. He was one of the last players who would have made it under the old 3 year residency rule. The fact that he was halfway through that should have been reason enough to retain him.

The guy had exceptional potential and his performances weren't exactly far off. He's probably the second or third best lock available to Glasgow imo.

If social media is anything to go by most Glasgow fans don't seem that bothered. Mainly due to the amount of time he spends out injured. Is there any chat on a replacement?
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah that’s a blow. Assuming he was able to get properly fit again he would have been a massive asset for Glasgow. Peterson/Harley just doesn’t cut it.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Chunks Baws wrote:
hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Glasgow's off-field management continues to fail to impress. Big Brian has moved to Toulon. He will no longer become SQ. He was one of the last players who would have made it under the old 3 year residency rule. The fact that he was halfway through that should have been reason enough to retain him.

If social media is anything to go by most Glasgow fans don't seem that bothered. Mainly due to the amount of time he spends out injured. Is there any chat on a replacement?
Based on their forum (I assume the more savvy fans) they are not happy at all.
whatisthejava

Post by whatisthejava »

I cant say i ever really rated him, he always came accross as large and clumsy but i dont think harley or Peterson are any better
ARM

Post by ARM »

I rate Brian but he has been a permacrock unfortunately. Given his injury record you can’t blame him hunting the £££s (or yo-yos as the case may be)

For what it’s worth Peterson is a waste of a wage. Harley, despite some limitations would die for the shirt. Great club player.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Teams are out. Harley in the second row and Fusaro on the bench mean a team that is going to only play one way. But then you have Peterson on the bench too?

That centre pairing is looking first choice which I feel is harsh on Johnson

Oli Kebble (14)
2. Fraser Brown (80)
3. D’Arcy Rae (45)
4. Rob Harley (189)
5. Jonny Gray (91)
6. Ryan Wilson (144) (CC)
7. Callum Gibbins (20) (CC)
8. Matt Fagerson (30)

9. Ali Price (61)
10. Adam Hastings (15)
11. DTH van der Merwe (105)
12. Alex Dunbar (116)
13. Huw Jones (11)
14. Lee Jones (78)
15. Ruaridh Jackson (140)

Replacements

16. George Turner (25)
17. Alex Allan (79)
18. Petrus du Plessis (0)
19. Greg Peterson (31)
20. Chris Fusaro (147)
21. George Horne (25)
22. Pete Horne (143)
23. Rory Hughes (35)

Saracens team to face Glasgow Warriors at Scotstoun on Sunday 14th October (15H15 KO):

FORWARDS: Mako Vunipola (150), Jamie George (202), Vincent Koch (43), Will Skelton (31), George Kruis (163), Maro Itoje (100), Mike Rhodes (74), Billy Vunipola (89).

BACKS: Alex Goode (267), David Strettle (142), Alex Lozowski (66), Brad Barritt (228), Sean Maitland (47). Owen Farrell (179), Richard Wigglesworth (216).

REPLACEMENTS: Christopher Tolofua (22), Richard Barrington (141), Titi Lamositele (57), Nick Isiekwe (41), Jackson Wray (204), Ben Spencer (137), Nick Tompkins (75), Liam Williams (20).
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Fusaro lol. Is there a club with worse back row depth across Europe?

Niko, Seymour & George are players who, on their day, can deliver X factor performances. I do not think a conservative game plan is the way to beat Saracens but we'll see.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Ugh.