The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

hp18

Re: The Glasgow Beach Rugby Thread

Post by hp18 »

Chunks Baws wrote:What's the script with Jarrod Firth? Is he just getting up to speed at Stirling County?
Toonie said when he came across he'd be spending a lot of time on S&C and the like to adapt to the game here for next season.
The Coo is dead. Long live The Coo.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

OptimisticJock wrote:
hp18 wrote:1 year extensions for Junior and Hughes.
Just as well the bird bought me a Glasgow top for my birthday.

I only wear it when she's there, honestly EinE.
Rule 1
OptimisticJock

Post by OptimisticJock »

hp18 wrote:
OptimisticJock wrote:
hp18 wrote:1 year extensions for Junior and Hughes.
Just as well the bird bought me a Glasgow top for my birthday.

I only wear it when she's there, honestly EinE.
Rule 1
Im flattered. I'll put it on later, get in a sexy pose.....
Big D

Post by Big D »

Eddie retires with immediate effect to join the family business.

Solid pro career.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

:cry:
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Find that one a very odd but best of luck to him. He never let the team down when called upon.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Find that one a very odd but best of luck to him. He never let the team down when called upon.
The game takes its toll
. Glasgow Warriors centurion James Eddie has announced he has retired from rugby with immediate effect.

Eddie has made 126 appearances for the club over the last ten years Eddie, who is currently sidelined with a shoulder injury, played his last game for the Warriors in the win over Leinster last month.

He is going to join his family-run Fish and Seafood Merchants, W.A.A. Eddie Ltd.

The 30-year-old backrower is the longest-serving player at Scotstoun and has made 126 appearances for the club over the last ten years.

He has represented Scotland at under-18, under-19 and under-20 level and has also featured for Scotland A and Scotland 7s. He was part of the Scotland 7s team, which competed at the Commonwealth Games in Glasgow in 2014.
Eddie will present the match ball ahead of the Warriors final regular season home match against Zebre at a sold-out Scotstoun on Friday night.

Speaking to Glasgow Warriors TV, James Eddie said: "It was a tough decision to make as rugby has been such a major part of my life, but following my recent injury I felt it was the right time to hang up the boots and move on to the next chapter.

"Some of the memoriesEddie is going to join his family-run Fish and Seafood Merchants, W.A.A. Eddie I have out on the pitch are unbelievable. It was very special winning the GUINNESS PRO12 last season, as well as beating Toulouse over in France in 2009 and making my 100th appearance for the club against Toulon.

"You almost can’t compare the club now, to what it was like ten years ago. It’s amazing to see how much the club has grown and how the supporters have really got behind the team.
"The fanbase is massive now, you see the crowds getting bigger and bigger and it’s fantastic that we’re now selling out games at Scotstoun when we used to get 1,500 at Firhill.

"The Glasgow Warriors supporters have always had my back, they’ve been amazing and I want to thank them for all the support they’ve given me.”

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: “James has been a great role model for what the Warriors are all about - working hard every day to improve himself and also doing all he can to get the best out of his teammates.

"He has also been a great ambassador for the club and is rightly held in high regard from our supporters.

"James has shown resilience in the face of a number of setbacks due to injury and improved year-on-year in his time as a Warrior. The 30-year-old backrower is the longest-serving player at Scotstoun

"Reaching 100 caps was a proud day for James and his family against Toulon two seasons ago.

"He’s shown his adaptability in recent seasons, filling in at times in the second-row as well as impressing at 7s rugby, playing in the Commonwealth Games and captaining the club to a Melrose 7s victory.

"We will miss his positive influence around the group and he is someone who will be remembered fondly by everyone at the club."

The guy'a a legend. Can only wish him all the best in the future.
Big D

Post by Big D »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Find that one a very odd but best of luck to him. He never let the team down when called upon.
I think it is something we will see more of. He's 31 in a few weeks and possibly doesn't fancy relocating at that age, or maybe lacked offers.

He is a Glasgow lad through and through; born there, played club rugby and district rugby etc for Glasgow.

It may also be better financially to go and work in the family business. I know of guys turning down championship sides because the money wasn't right.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Confirmation of that well kept secret that Nakarawa is offski.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

http://www.glasgowwarriors.org/news/16/ ... end-season

Reads like there is compensation involved as it mentions the 'deal' has allowed Glasgow to strengthen the squad for next season. I wonder how much of that is spent on Corey Flynn, there are still a couple of positions that need improvements.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

. Glasgow Warriors have announced a group of players who will leave the club in the summer.Jerry Yanuyanutawa will be leaving the club at the end of the season

Prop Jerry Yanuyanutawa, backrower Tyrone Holmes and hooker Kevin Bryce are among the departures.

Fijian international Yanuyanutawa joined the club from London Irish in 2013 and has gone on to make 46 appearances for the Scotstoun-based side.

South Africa-born Holmes joined the Warriors in 2013 and has made 34 appearances for the club over the last three seasons and was capped by Scotland against South Africa in 2014.

27-year-old Bryce has made 12 appearances for the Warriors since joining the club in 2013 and has gone on to represent Scotland on two occasions.

Backrowers Will Bordill and Jason Hill, hookers Shalva Mamukashvili and Fergus Scott, stand-off Gregor Hunter and prop Javan Sebastian will also be leaving the club.

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: “We’d like to thank all those who are leaving us at the end of the season for the contributions they’ve made to the club.

“They have all worked hard to improve the club and we wish them well in the next stage of their careers.

"Our supporters will get the chance to acknowledge these players efforts as Warriors at our final regular season home match against Zebre on Friday night."

Confirmed departures and appearances: Jerry Yanuyanutawa (46), Tyrone Holmes (34), Kevin Bryce (12), Will Bordill (7), Shalva Mamukashvili (6), Fergus Scott (3), Gregor Hunter (2), Jason Hill (0) and Javan Sebastian (0).

Previously confirmed departures: Duncan Weir (106), Leone Nakarawa (66), Mike Cusack (48), Taqele Naiyaravoro (20) and Glenn Bryce (15).

Players who have retired: James Eddie (126) and Mike Blair (12).
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

hp18 wrote:
. Glasgow Warriors have announced a group of players who will leave the club in the summer.Jerry Yanuyanutawa will be leaving the club at the end of the season

Prop Jerry Yanuyanutawa, backrower Tyrone Holmes and hooker Kevin Bryce are among the departures.

Fijian international Yanuyanutawa joined the club from London Irish in 2013 and has gone on to make 46 appearances for the Scotstoun-based side.

South Africa-born Holmes joined the Warriors in 2013 and has made 34 appearances for the club over the last three seasons and was capped by Scotland against South Africa in 2014.

27-year-old Bryce has made 12 appearances for the Warriors since joining the club in 2013 and has gone on to represent Scotland on two occasions.

Backrowers Will Bordill and Jason Hill, hookers Shalva Mamukashvili and Fergus Scott, stand-off Gregor Hunter and prop Javan Sebastian will also be leaving the club.

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: “We’d like to thank all those who are leaving us at the end of the season for the contributions they’ve made to the club.

“They have all worked hard to improve the club and we wish them well in the next stage of their careers.

"Our supporters will get the chance to acknowledge these players efforts as Warriors at our final regular season home match against Zebre on Friday night."

Confirmed departures and appearances: Jerry Yanuyanutawa (46), Tyrone Holmes (34), Kevin Bryce (12), Will Bordill (7), Shalva Mamukashvili (6), Fergus Scott (3), Gregor Hunter (2), Jason Hill (0) and Javan Sebastian (0).

Previously confirmed departures: Duncan Weir (106), Leone Nakarawa (66), Mike Cusack (48), Taqele Naiyaravoro (20) and Glenn Bryce (15).

Players who have retired: James Eddie (126) and Mike Blair (12).
Anyone know which of those newly announced have got deals elsewhere. Bryce is off to edinburgh but don't know about the others.

Seems townsend will give most club players about 2 years to prove themselves
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Wow, interesting. Suspect that Canadian prop may be getting a deal then?

What's your thoughts, HP? I always did wonder about Glasgow's wage bill, they have insane depth and it cannot be cheap.

They have far too many hookers so it sounds about right to be letting a couple of them go.

A fly half has to be very high up Toony's list at the moment. I suppose Horne can cover but it's looking very bare.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

hugh_woatmeigh wrote:Wow, interesting. Suspect that Canadian prop may be getting a deal then?

What's your thoughts, HP? I always did wonder about Glasgow's wage bill, they have insane depth and it cannot be cheap.

They have far too many hookers so it sounds about right to be letting a couple of them go.

A fly half has to be very high up Toony's list at the moment. I suppose Horne can cover but it's looking very bare.
They boosted the squad for the RWC year, no need for as many players after.

Still going to have 5 hookers but Flynn as mentor, Fenton academy.

Not really. Bar Hunters two games Glasgow will have the same number of FHs as most of last season, plus Clegg is available year round.
Big D

Post by Big D »

I wonder if Edinburgh will look at Hunter and Holmes as squad filler. Edinburgh are likely to be without Hardie and CdP (pending return to form) for international windows leaving only Watson at 7. And Hunter would be ok as a 3rd/4th choice 10.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Could do with someone else to cover FB and maybe a Blindside.
Big D

Post by Big D »

I know it has been asked before but where might one park if they were going to a Glasgow game?
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Big D wrote:I know it has been asked before but where might one park if they were going to a Glasgow game?
I parked on Harland street for the semi. Easy walk. Don't park near the railway bridge though, those cars were covered in shat.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Big D wrote:I know it has been asked before but where might one park if they were going to a Glasgow game?
I generally use Methil street, if you're there early enough you should also be able to get parked on some part of Westland drive iirc.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Cheers gents, having to drive through from Fife after work so driving is the only practical option.
Donny osmond

Post by Donny osmond »

Herea actually loads if local parking, just not in scotstoun village.

Whiteinch - Harland st, Earl st
Scotstounhill - Danes drive (other side of Queen Vic Drive), Birchfield Drive, Larchfield Av.
Jordanhill (?) - Victoria Park Drive North, Westland Drive, Mitre Road.

None of those is more than 10 mins walk from the ground, mostly around 5 mins

Sent from my XT1052 using Tapatalk
It was so much easier to blame Them. It was bleakly depressing to think They were Us. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.
Big D

Post by Big D »

Cheers.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Disappointed that we never got to see what Bordill had to offer, heard good things about him at the junior levels. Other than that no real surprises there. Quite a lot seems to rest on Murchie for next season.
hp18

Post by hp18 »

Rob Harley will captain Glasgow Warriors for their final home game of the regular season against Zebre at a sold-out Scotstoun Stadium tomorrow night.Rob Harley will captain the Warriors at Scotstoun tomorrow night

A win for the Warriors would secure their place in the GUINNESS PRO12 Play-Offs for the fifth consecutive season.

A number of players could be making their final appearances for the Warriors at Scotstoun with Glenn Bryce, Taqele Naiyaravoro, Duncan Weir, Jerry Yanuyanutawa and Leone Nakarawa included in the starting XV.

Bryce comes in for Stuart Hogg at full-back, Naiyaravoro replaces Tommy Seymour on the right wing and Sean Lamont comes in for Lee Jones on the left flank.

Mark Bennett and Alex Dunbar continue their centre partnership, with Weir in for Finn Russell and Grayson Hart replacing Henry Pyrgos at stand-off and scrum-half respectively.

Yanuyanutawa, Pat MacArthur and D’arcy Rae make up an all-new front-row, with Rae making his seventh appearance for the club and first start at Scotstoun.

Greg Peterson comes in for Tim Swinson and links up with Nakarawa in the second-row.

Harley once again starts at blind-side flanker, with Simone Favaro returning at open-side in place of Ryan Wilson and Adam Ashe coming in for Josh Strauss at Number 8.

Glasgow Warriors head coach Gregor Townsend said: “We’ve had a good few weeks on and off the field and we’re looking forward to being back at Scotstoun tomorrow night for our final regular season home match.

“Zebre are challenging Treviso for a place in next season's Champions Cup and they'll be coming here looking for a result to get them over the line, so we'll have to be at our best to deliver a positive result.

"It'll be a particularly special and emotional night with the likes of James Eddie and Mike Blair having announced their retirements, while a number of players could be making their final appearances in a Warriors shirt at Scotstoun.

"The contribution of our Fijian players have definitely formed some special memories here over the last few years and I'm sure our supporters will give them and our other leavers a great reception."

Glasgow Warriors team named to play Zebre at Scotstoun Stadium on Friday 29 April, kick-off 7.35pm, live on BBC ALBA:
15. Glenn Bryce
14. Taqele Naiyaravoro
13. Mark Bennett
12. Alex Dunbar
11. Sean Lamont
10. Duncan Weir
9. Grayson Hart

1. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
2. Pat MacArthur
3. D’arcy Rae
4. Greg Peterson
5. Leone Nakarawa
6. Rob Harley (Captain)
7. Simone Favaro
8. Adam Ashe

Replacements

16. Fraser Brown
17. Gordon Reid
18. Zander Fagerson
19. Tim Swinson
20. Ryan Wilson
21. Ali Price
22. Finn Russell
23. Tommy Seymour

Not available due to injury: Alex Allan (concussion), Ryan Grant (arm), Peter Horne (concussion / illness), Sila Puafisi (concussion), Henry Pyrgos (neck), Fergus Scott (shoulder) and Richie Vernon (shoulder).
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

A wee bit of complacency there if you ask me. They should get the win but I think guys like Russell, Hogg & Seymour are must-start players when hunting the 5 points.