EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Puja

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Puja »

Scrumhead wrote:Indeed. Compare it to the entitlement from the likes of Steffon Armitage or Carl Fearns.
You know, I was just thinking about the days when every thread devolved to a Steffon Armitage argument.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:
Scrumhead wrote:Indeed. Compare it to the entitlement from the likes of Steffon Armitage or Carl Fearns.
You know, I was just thinking about the days when every thread devolved to a Steffon Armitage argument.

Puja
Steffon's law right up there with Dunning-Kruger
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Moody or Worsley?
Anti-Glos conspiracy, Andy Hazell should have had more caps than either!
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... y-cipriani

Danny Cipriani is likely to feature in England’s wider World Cup training squad next month after it emerged the Barbarians were blocked from selecting him for the match at Twickenham on Sunday. It is also understood his hopes of being included in the final World Cup squad may hinge on whether Eddie Jones gambles by selecting only two scrum-halves with the possibility of Cipriani doubling up as an emergency No 9 also mooted.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

twitchy wrote:https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2019/ ... y-cipriani

Danny Cipriani is likely to feature in England’s wider World Cup training squad next month after it emerged the Barbarians were blocked from selecting him for the match at Twickenham on Sunday. It is also understood his hopes of being included in the final World Cup squad may hinge on whether Eddie Jones gambles by selecting only two scrum-halves with the possibility of Cipriani doubling up as an emergency No 9 also mooted.
FFS. and likely go with 7 locks and 1 hooker ? :)
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Who needs scrum halves. Cippers can probably box kick, that's all they need to do well isn't it?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Raggs wrote:Who needs scrum halves. Cippers can probably box kick, that's all they need to do well isn't it?
....suspect he's just being Eddie, as he'd also talked about using Ford as emergency 9...who has at least played there :lol:
Digby

Post by Digby »

One the one hand it's the hardest role to just drop into, on the other it'd Eddie. No idea what he's really thinking.

I would like Eddie to revisit some of his early remarks in England about wanting the side to be able to attack off 9, 10 and 12 and then walk us through how he thinks that's happening. I'd suggest it's not unless we smash over the gainline about 5 times in a row, at which point you don't need a grand attacking playbook to expose a scrambled defence that can't wrap and can't resource properly anyway.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Times reporting Nowell needs surgery that will lead to him missing all the warmup matches. Mako reported as aiming for a return in time for the last warmup match.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:Times reporting Nowell needs surgery that will lead to him missing all the warmup matches. Mako reported as aiming for a return in time for the last warmup match.
I'd certainly wait for Mako, Nowell not so much.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Times reporting Nowell needs surgery that will lead to him missing all the warmup matches. Mako reported as aiming for a return in time for the last warmup match.
I'd certainly wait for Mako, Nowell not so much.
Same - it's a shame if Nowell is injured, but we have May, Watson, Daly, Cokanasiga and Brown to squeeze into that back three already, so there are worse people to have lost to injury. Mako, however, is essential to our hopes of going anywhere in the tournament.

Puja
Backist Monk
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

We need marler as back up/rotation. I would go as far to say as our whole campaign relies on it.
Puja

Post by Puja »

twitchy wrote:We need marler as back up/rotation. I would go as far to say as our whole campaign relies on it.
That dream is completely dead. If the RWC was in France, then maybe, but he retired because he didn't want to be away from his family for long periods, he's expecting a new baby imminently, and the suggestion is he'd go to a prolonged training camp and then fly to Japan for several weeks. No chance, in hell.

He's just not one of our options anymore.

Puja
Backist Monk
Scrumhead

Post by Scrumhead »

Although he does like a Japanese tattoo so you never know ...
Digby

Post by Digby »

Puja wrote:
twitchy wrote:We need marler as back up/rotation. I would go as far to say as our whole campaign relies on it.
That dream is completely dead. If the RWC was in France, then maybe, but he retired because he didn't want to be away from his family for long periods, he's expecting a new baby imminently, and the suggestion is he'd go to a prolonged training camp and then fly to Japan for several weeks. No chance, in hell.

Puja
Mike Catt did just fine in 2003 missing out on Clive's training and inspirational teamship building (was teamship the rubbish term Clive coined?)

Key to this might be Mrs Marler who never really wanted Joe to stop playing in the first place by all accounts, she might even encourage a few weeks quiet for a tidy cash sum
Puja

Post by Puja »

Digby wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
Mike Catt did just fine in 2003 missing out on Clive's training and inspirational teamship building (was teamship the rubbish term Clive coined?)

Key to this might be Mrs Marler who never really wanted Joe to stop playing in the first place by all accounts, she might even encourage a few weeks quiet for a tidy cash sum
He has four kids, with one of them just 3 months old at the start of the tournament. Unless he's an active hinderance, I would be amazed if she wants him to piss off for what could be 7 weeks.

Puja
Backist Monk
morepork

Post by morepork »

Banquo wrote:

Just drop Farrell.
Puja

Post by Puja »

morepork wrote:
Banquo wrote:

Just drop Farrell.
Don't mock the afflicted.

Puja
Backist Monk
Digby

Post by Digby »

Puja wrote:
He has four kids, with one of them just 3 months old at the start of the tournament. Unless he's an active hinderance, I would be amazed if she wants him to piss off for what could be 7 weeks.

Puja

Fixed, probably
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Gatland signs on as Lions coach, starting in summer 2020. I wonder if he’d act as a stop gap after the World Cup so the RFU have time to get their act together.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Just sign him up for england and stop messing about.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Nothing specifically eye opening but a good summary of english back row options. He mentions some new names at the very end of the article I wasn't familiar with.

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/england- ... -on-the-up
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Interesting that he classes Isiekwe as a 6. Also ridiculous that he’s only 21.
ilovelamp

Post by ilovelamp »

twitchy wrote:Nothing specifically eye opening but a good summary of english back row options. He mentions some new names at the very end of the article I wasn't familiar with.

For those interested in one of those names, this is Jack Clements highlights reel. He's got all the right stuff, and looks a much more lively prospect than Tuima. We are very excited about a potential back row involving him and Aaron Hinckley in the not too distant future.

Digby

Post by Digby »

ilovelamp wrote:
twitchy wrote:Nothing specifically eye opening but a good summary of english back row options. He mentions some new names at the very end of the article I wasn't familiar with.

For those interested in one of those names, this is Jack Clements highlights reel. He's got all the right stuff, and looks a much more lively prospect than Tuima. We are very excited about a potential back row involving him and Aaron Hinckley in the not too distant future.

Without doubt the highlights reel with the most shits, fucks and motherfuckers I've heard on the soundtrack, which is an interesting way to promote a player.