Moderator: OptimisticJock

francoisfou

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by francoisfou »

Great result!! Give ‘em hell next week!
ARM

Post by ARM »

Before Glasgow scored their try ahead of half time thought they were goosed. Great attitude to turn it around and keep LR out at the end; could kick start the season. Presumably Rochelais will send their seconds next week - BP win and Weeg will be in a decent position.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Très excitant...

https://www.theoffsideline.com/nakarawa ... -warriors/

Would love it if he came back - some serious options at lock if he did. I think Cummings has been good this season.

Feck it. Stick him at 8 and put Fagerson on a flank.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

General Zod wrote:Très excitant...

https://www.theoffsideline.com/nakarawa ... -warriors/

Would love it if he came back - some serious options at lock if he did. I think Cummings has been good this season.

Feck it. Stick him at 8 and put Fagerson on a flank.
It's hard to say how much of a chance Glasgow have. It's a short career and even shorter for Leone who hasn't been a top pro since day dot one. AFAIK he's built a massive family home back in Fiji paid outright - so money may not be the deciding factor now.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Wonder if he borrowed the Batmobile?
Big D

Post by Big D »

That isn't a great look considering his own lawyer couldn't explain.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

Not even sure how you can get up to 111mph on the B979.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Johnny Gray off at the end of the season, apparently. Rumours of interest from Bristol.

Wonder if that means the other brother will come home, or if Nakarawa signs for longer. Calum Hunter-Hill may also be a replacement, as he won’t be going back to Edinburgh from what little I can gather about his departure from there.
no sleep

Post by no sleep »

Replacement?? They've got Rob Hartley.
Big D

Post by Big D »

General Zod wrote:Johnny Gray off at the end of the season, apparently. Rumours of interest from Bristol.

Wonder if that means the other brother will come home, or if Nakarawa signs for longer. Calum Hunter-Hill may also be a replacement, as he won’t be going back to Edinburgh from what little I can gather about his departure from there.
Exeter seems to be the popular rumour.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Big D wrote: Exeter seems to be the popular rumour.
Bbc running with the story now.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/rugby-u ... ssion=true
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Gray leaving would leave Cummings, Davidson, Swindon and McDonald, with Harley offering some cover? Assuming Nakarwara isn't a long term signing that looks a bit short so they'd have to bring someone in you'd imagine.

It'd be nice if Exeter could send Skinner north in exchange but my money would be on Carmichael moving along the M8 as he's 24 now and not getting the game time he needs. It's a significant downgrade but perhaps the money could be better spent elsewhere in the squad.

Exeter will be a good move for Gray. A bit worried that he'll get played into the ground. So much of his game is based on constant attrition and the extra time off on an SRU contract should help to manage that.
ARM

Post by ARM »

Glasgow has just become a selling club. The best stars get replaced with kids or journeymen. There is a reason behind the steady year on year decline in performances and it ain’t going to get any better.
hugh_woatmeigh

Post by hugh_woatmeigh »

ARM wrote:Glasgow has just become a selling club. The best stars get replaced with kids or journeymen. There is a reason behind the steady year on year decline in performances and it ain’t going to get any better.
You can't blame Glasgow for this. They are producing/developing superstars - Hogg, Russel, both Gray brothers, Naka... how can they pay them all their market value or even remotely close to it?
Chunks Baws

Post by Chunks Baws »

I've seen a few posts on social media saying Ritchie is heading over to Glasgow. Anyone heard anything? I'd hate to see him leave Edinburgh, but I can see the sense in it with Edinburgh's backrow so well stocked.

Gray leaving is shite for Glasgow, but in terms of player development it's a good move for him. Apparently you're after his big bro to replace him.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Ritchie to Glasgow is an interesting one. I think he's a slightly better player than Gibbins but I would think he's locked in place as captain. We surely can't have our only two proven opensides sharing gametime at the same club.

I'm hearing Nakarawa to Quins after this season and TTRI back to Glasgow as the most persistent rumours too, which I'd be fairly happy with to be honest. Cummings needs to continue developing as a first choice lock.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

As an Edinburgh fan I'll be deeply annoyed if we lose Ritchie. He should be a core piece for the next five years, not let go to our biggest rivals after giving him four years of development and opportunity. There's a decent pipeline of young flankers at Edinburgh, let Glasgow develop Boyle or Darge (it is crazy to have both at Edinburgh) or they can have Kunavula. I'd rather lose Watson than Ritchie given their recent injury records.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Good result for Glasgow today, does edinburgh a big favour in the conference too. I thought it might be a trap game given the side they picked but wonder if anyone out their hands up to play more regularly? Anyone see it?

Glasgow Warriors: Ruaridh Jackson, Kyle Steyn, Nick Grigg, Sam Johnson, Niko Matawalu, Pete Horne, George Horne, Aki Seiuli, George Turner, Adam Nicol, Rob Harley, Tim Swinson, Bruce Flockhart, Tom Gordon, Ryan Wilson.

Replacements: Grant Stewart, Oli Kebble, Petrus du Plessis, Andrew Davidson, Chris Fusaro, Nick Frisby, Huw Jones, Glenn Bryce

Also Horne jr with another two tries
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Only saw a very clumsy 15 minute period in the middle of it. A couple of interesting opinions here though.

The mention of Donnie Macfadyen made me laugh. I had Gordon down as more a hard-nosed, Hardie style Kamikazee 7?
ARM

Post by ARM »

switchskier wrote:Good result for Glasgow today, does edinburgh a big favour in the conference too. I thought it might be a trap game given the side they picked but wonder if anyone out their hands up to play more regularly? Anyone see it?

Glasgow Warriors: Ruaridh Jackson, Kyle Steyn, Nick Grigg, Sam Johnson, Niko Matawalu, Pete Horne, George Horne, Aki Seiuli, George Turner, Adam Nicol, Rob Harley, Tim Swinson, Bruce Flockhart, Tom Gordon, Ryan Wilson.

Replacements: Grant Stewart, Oli Kebble, Petrus du Plessis, Andrew Davidson, Chris Fusaro, Nick Frisby, Huw Jones, Glenn Bryce

Also Horne jr with another two tries
Best attitude I’ve seen from a Glasgow team this season. Both flankers excellent, and Nick Grigg is so feckin committed with a huge work rate that you can see why coaches pick him. Scrum much better with Kebble and PduP.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Maitland possibly back to Glasgow? Would it be a good use of budget?

https://www.ruck.co.uk/the-best-xv-of-p ... t-in-2020/
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

switchskier wrote:Maitland possibly back to Glasgow? Would it be a good use of budget?

Can see that happening. Strengthens Glasgow’s back 3 and allows SRU to look after him in the last few years of his career. Also, he’s a great example if players want to see a consistently good matchday performer.

Edit - and saracens need to balance the books. Wonder if Duncan Taylor might be worth a look at?
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

General Zod wrote:
switchskier wrote:Maitland possibly back to Glasgow? Would it be a good use of budget?

Can see that happening. Strengthens Glasgow’s back 3 and allows SRU to look after him in the last few years of his career. Also, he’s a great example if players want to see a consistently good matchday performer.

Edit - and saracens need to balance the books. Wonder if Duncan Taylor might be worth a look at?
Glasgow are full loaded with geriatric back 3 players. And not short of centres never mind injury prone ones who look past their best. So no it wouldn't be a good use of budget.

BTW I'd take anything about NH rugby from a SH outlet with a large pinch of salt and a time travel machine. No idea how old that article is (and can't see a date) but for starters Ford and Genge were announced as signed up again for Leicester some days back, deals almost certainly agreed much earlier. Finger on the pulse, not