Snap General Election called

Stom

Re: Snap General Election called

Post by Stom »

Oh, and where's the story about Amazon getting access to NHS data for free?
Stom

Post by Stom »

Seriously, it's no wonder my parents always think I'm a conspiracy theorist when I tell them things. It's insane.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Stom wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Just caught up with Arlene Foster’s intervention. Funny how she’s a liar when you disagree with her but a paragon of truth when she’s on your side. Boris is lying about checks in the Irish Sea, but normally on this board we are told you can’t believe a word that comes out of her mouth.
Oh, I don't believe a word that comes out of her mouth. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be reported...

Otherwise Boris would never be seen!!!

I'm just amazed at some opinions. My dad is adamant the BBC is biased against the Tories. And I just have to keep trying to point things out to him.

Like basic principles of capitalism. Or what the proposed taxation changes of each party mean for him.

And people like him are all going to go out and vote for bloody Boris.

The UK needs a root and branch reform of the press.

Reading The Times made me so damn sad. Let me just post some of the headlines...

Johnson to blitz seats in Labour heartlands (PM will warn of 'great betrayal' under Corbyn)
Johnson vows end to migrants 'treating Britain as their own' (with a picture of him and other ministers smiling)
McDonnell admits antisemitism has harmed campaign
Corbyn tried to gag press
NHS leader attacks Labour and Tories for misleading promises (his quotes don't seem to talk about Labour at all)
Lofty ambitions for railways look like pie in the sky

And that's not as bad as Sat or Friday.
Going off this post and many previous, your idea of free press seems to be that they should only print what you agree with.

So, who are the BBC bias against? Your Dad thinks the right, loads of people think the left.

Struggling to see what makes you sad with any of those headlines. Unless it’s they’re all negative rather than than you think it shows bias. In which case, I’d agree. You’ve also missed the one about the Whitehall leak about not leaving the EU by the end of next year, as promised by Boris. That’s a big negative against Bozza.

I think your best idea is not to talk to your dad about politics if you think he’s so uneducated about the subject.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Stom wrote:Oh, and where's the story about Amazon getting access to NHS data for free?
Here. Note the date.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Mellsblue wrote:
Stom wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:Just caught up with Arlene Foster’s intervention. Funny how she’s a liar when you disagree with her but a paragon of truth when she’s on your side. Boris is lying about checks in the Irish Sea, but normally on this board we are told you can’t believe a word that comes out of her mouth.
Oh, I don't believe a word that comes out of her mouth. But that doesn't mean it shouldn't be reported...

I'm just amazed at some opinions. My dad is adamant the BBC is biased against the Tories. And I just have to keep trying to point things out to him.

Like basic principles of capitalism. Or what the proposed taxation changes of each party mean for him.

Reading The Times made me so damn sad. Let me just post some of the headlines...

Johnson to blitz seats in Labour heartlands (PM will warn of 'great betrayal' under Corbyn)
Johnson vows end to migrants 'treating Britain as their own' (with a picture of him and other ministers smiling)
NHS leader attacks Labour and Tories for misleading promises (his quotes don't seem to talk about Labour at all)

Going off this post and many previous, your idea of free press seems to be that they should only print what you agree with.

So, who are the BBC bias against? Your Dad thinks the right, loads of people think the left.

Struggling to see what makes you sad with any of those headlines. Unless it’s they’re all negative rather than than you think it shows bias. In which case, I’d agree. You’ve also missed the one about the Whitehall leak about not leaving the EU by the end of next year, as promised by Boris. That’s a big negative against Bozza.

I think your best idea is not to talk to your dad about politics if you think he’s so uneducated about the subject.
The BBC I think generally does a good job of being unbiased. It sometimes allows too much extremity in the quest to allow all voices, and different parts of it have some inbuilt biases (the economists are slightly biased toward conservatism because that's what they've been taught, as I've grown up I don't hold it against them).

I missed the Whitehall leak because it wasn't a headline, it was a minor box within the migrants article.

And I just checked Sunday's paper for the Amazon article and it's another small box on page 4.
Digby

Post by Digby »

I don't imagine there's a lack of left wing publications, just a lack of people buying them
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Stom wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Stom wrote:

The BBC I think generally does a good job of being unbiased. It sometimes allows too much extremity in the quest to allow all voices, and different parts of it have some inbuilt biases (the economists are slightly biased toward conservatism because that's what they've been taught, as I've grown up I don't hold it against them).

I missed the Whitehall leak because it wasn't a headline, it was a minor box within the migrants article.

And I just checked Sunday's paper for the Amazon article and it's another small box on page 4.
Cool. We agree on the BBC. Let’s be fair, it’s impossible for any organisation or individual to be completely unbiased.

The tablet version of the The Times gives the Whitehall leak it’s own page. Page 4 for the data ‘sale’ story seems prominent enough for me. Also, the paper has coveted the sale of NHS data very prominently over the course of the last few months and may feel that it’s done it’s part in that front, plus everything is second class news unless directly related to the election. It’s also covered the part about why selling/giving away data is in the national interest: it’s used to create algorithms for earlier and more consistent diagnosis. The latest hope is that the Orwellian ’assistants’ in our homes will diagnose illnesses before we even think to see a doctor. The difference here is that the data can be used outside of the UK. We should be charging for that privilege.

On reading back, the point about not discussing politics with your dad was not a dig or me being flippant. It’s a genuine tactic of mine with family members on topics in which we disagree. No minds will be changed but tempers may flare.
Last edited by Mellsblue on Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:I don't imagine there's a lack of left wing publications, just a lack of people buying them
There’s a lack of people buying any publications. Most ‘information’ is now gleaned in bite sized chunks on social media. A platform any old nut job can post a ‘fact’.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:I don't imagine there's a lack of left wing publications, just a lack of people buying them
There’s a lack of people buying any publications. Most ‘information’ is now gleaned in bite sized chunks on social media. A platform any old nut job can post a ‘fact’.
Something I know all too well from my time posting with the twitter handle Boris Johnson's Mum

I had on the social media side been told that so far Labour have outspent the Tories, but the Tories were aping Brexit campaign and saving a massive spend for these final few days. For myself, and I might not be watching enough social media, I've only seen two Labour adds, both on YouTube, and both were those annoying pieces of shit you can't skip, no idea what they said as I muted them both, but they did feature the NHS logo.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Something I know all too well from my time posting with the twitter handle Boris Johnson's Mum

I had on the social media side been told that so far Labour have outspent the Tories, but the Tories were aping Brexit campaign and saving a massive spend for these final few days. For myself, and I might not be watching enough social media, I've only seen two Labour adds, both on YouTube, and both were those annoying pieces of shit you can't skip, no idea what they said as I muted them both, but they did feature the NHS logo.
It’s not just how much you spend, and the Lib Dems were beating all comers last time I checked, it’s how often users retweet, like etc. This is where Labour have a huge advantage.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: There’s a lack of people buying any publications. Most ‘information’ is now gleaned in bite sized chunks on social media. A platform any old nut job can post a ‘fact’.

It’s not just how much you spend, and the Lib Dems were beating all comers last time I checked, it’s how often users retweet, like etc. This is where Labour have a huge advantage.
I still feel my own advantage in this is simply not going on twitter, or facebook, or instagram, or...
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:
Oh yeah. This genuinely made me lol.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:

I still feel my own advantage in this is simply not going on twitter, or facebook, or instagram, or...
Agreed.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:
Mellsblue wrote: There’s a lack of people buying any publications. Most ‘information’ is now gleaned in bite sized chunks on social media. A platform any old nut job can post a ‘fact’.

Not just there but how they target swing voters, something more left wing parties have struggled with.

I think Labour are going to rely on the student mobilization, pretty much.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Stom wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Digby wrote:

Not just there but how they target swing voters, something more left wing parties have struggled with.

I think Labour are going to rely on the student mobilization, pretty much.
The best targeting strategies in recent elections have come from the SNP, how much further left should they move to be left wing? I would add here by best I mean most effective, I don't actually like what the SNP have been up to
Son of Mathonwy

Post by Son of Mathonwy »

Can you imagine what the papers would be saying if Corbyn had written a book like this?

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 39346.html

"burning eyes, hook noses and hairy black eyebrows that joined in the middle"
“The interesting thing about his half-caste looks, he decided, was that he didn’t look Negroid.”
Puja

Post by Puja »

Speaking of fake news:

https://tompride.wordpress.com/2019/12/ ... 21unIghW6U

Wonder who paid for that botnet to spread that bit of propaganda to help the Conservatives? The Russians are infamous for it, but it is also the kind of thing Cummings would do.

Puja
Backist Monk
Puja

Post by Puja »

Son of Mathonwy wrote:Can you imagine what the papers would be saying if Corbyn had written a book like this?

“The interesting thing about his half-caste looks, he decided, was that he didn’t look Negroid.”
Jesus fuck. How can anyone remotely look at this and decide that it's best to support Boris?!

Puja
Backist Monk
Digby

Post by Digby »

Puja wrote:
Son of Mathonwy wrote:Can you imagine what the papers would be saying if Corbyn had written a book like this?

Jesus fuck. How can anyone remotely look at this and decide that it's best to support Boris?!

Puja
Equally how can the official opposition veer to the left snatching defeat from certain victory in the face of such as Boris. It's all gone mad at the top
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

when will it all end. Its so fcking desperate. All the MPs on show seem to be either pants or CAUCs
Stom

Post by Stom »

Banquo wrote:when will it all end. Its so fcking desperate. All the MPs on show seem to be either pants or CAUCs
Cauc? Complete and utter?
morepork

Post by morepork »

Fuck me. That's his worldview, spunked all over a large screen. How are people like him able to breed? They are an evolutionary dead end.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Got a visit from the LibDem candidate today, who understood what I said and confirmed there were thousands of more natural Labour voters in Twickenham who were backing the LDs.

She was nice enough, but the councillor didn't want to accept that their plan was poor, just that it was brave.

It was brave, I think it was foolish.
Sandydragon

Post by Sandydragon »

morepork wrote:

Fuck me. That's his worldview, spunked all over a large screen. How are people like him able to breed? They are an evolutionary dead end.
That is a total disgrace. Somewhat surprised it hasn’t surfaced previously. I can only assume no one bothered buying the book.
Puja

Post by Puja »

morepork wrote:

To be fair, we've still had no confirmation on if he's bred or how many times.

Puja
Backist Monk