EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

twitchy

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by twitchy »

Well I suppose he has shown that black people can be perceived as out of touch tory boys as well.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/rugby-union ... ly-secure/

"Lawes, who is married with four children, revealed earlier this year that he was now using the social media platform more to express his views, after growing frustrated with the perception of black people on television.

"I don't agree with a lot of things some people are saying. The only black people you see on TV at the minute are complaining about everything. I don't feel that way,” he told reporters back in January before the Six Nations."
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Yeah, the more I hear Lawes speak the less I like him.

Why don’t you tell the stupid poors how to not be poor anymore instead of asking the fucking government to try and assist the most vulnerable people that, by their own admission, are not being reached.

I understand not wanting every black person to be portrayed as feeling sorry for themselves, but he really seems to be a total fucking dullard.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Maybe he has a smidgeon of a point about kids though? Is he so wrong to suggest that they are too important to be brought into the world without thought and preparation? Having that as an informative theme within a society's broader education makes sense perhaps.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Oakboy wrote:Maybe he has a smidgeon of a point about kids though? Is he so wrong to suggest that they are too important to be brought into the world without thought and preparation? Having that as an informative theme within a society's broader education makes sense perhaps.
Yeah it's totally fair that you ask all (potential) parents to be responsible for their kids.

How he thinks preaching this message is supposed to help kids today that are living in poverty, well I haven't got a clue.
Puja

Post by Puja »

Oakboy wrote:Maybe he has a smidgeon of a point about kids though? Is he so wrong to suggest that they are too important to be brought into the world without thought and preparation? Having that as an informative theme within a society's broader education makes sense perhaps.
Generally true, but a) not all poor people start out poor - someone could be in a perfectly sensible position to have kids and then lose their job, b) as a corollary to (a) - single poor parents exist who were married when they had kids, either through bereavement or divorce, c) not all kids are planned and, while our sexual education system needs a phenomenal overhaul, that's outside the scope of his TED talk, d) perhaps someone who is probably pretty close to a millionnaire might like to shut the f*ck up about child poverty being "a big part" the result of irresponsible parents considering he almost certainly has zero understanding of the struggles of a 2020 working person.

Also, that statement from Lawes, when taken to it's logical conclusions is basically "poor people shouldn't have kids" which isn't a great statement.

Puja
Backist Monk
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Puja wrote:
Generally true, but a) not all poor people start out poor - someone could be in a perfectly sensible position to have kids and then lose their job, b) as a corollary to (a) - single poor parents exist who were married when they had kids, either through bereavement or divorce, c) not all kids are planned and, while our sexual education system needs a phenomenal overhaul, that's outside the scope of his TED talk, d) perhaps someone who is probably pretty close to a millionnaire might like to shut the f*ck up about child poverty being "a big part" the result of irresponsible parents considering he almost certainly has zero understanding of the struggles of a 2020 working person.

Also, that statement from Lawes, when taken to it's logical conclusions is basically "poor people shouldn't have kids" which isn't a great statement.

Puja
Ah, fair comment, Puja, but I don't think Lawes was denigrating any of the scenarios you raise. He was targetting frivolous procreation which is still prevalent in the real world. I'll bow out of this before it gets too political.
Stom

Post by Stom »

Oakboy wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
Ah, fair comment, Puja, but I don't think Lawes was denigrating any of the scenarios you raise. He was targetting frivolous procreation which is still prevalent in the real world. I'll bow out of this before it gets too political.
What is frivolous procreation?

Is this a real problem?

btw, I was one of those who lost my job not long after having my first child. I was lucky enough to get another job quickly, but, hey, I'm not one of those in the target of this ire.

Perhaps looking at the treatment of children by the likes of our current Prime Minister or leader of the house might be more in order.
Digby

Post by Digby »

Until now I was perhaps only willing to believe there's frivolous sex, but frivolous procreation deserves to be a thing
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

It also just seems strange for Lawes to posting that in response to Rashford's campaign (while acting like he is supportive) . If he wants to campaign for this fine but, unless he is arguing that it should be instead of what Rashford has been arguing for, then why doesn't he launch his own campaign.
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

I can't think of a more out of touch tory phrase than "frivolous procreation". Is that what jacob rees mogg's nanny tells him about the proles while he clings to his teddy bear wide eyed?
Stom

Post by Stom »

twitchy wrote:I can't think of a more out of touch tory phrase than "frivolous procreation". Is that what jacob rees mogg's nanny tells him about the proles while he clings to his teddy bear wide eyed?
No, it seems to be what he practices, with his 6 children.
Digby

Post by Digby »

In fairness Moggy is catholic and thus the use of birth control is frowned upon, which we see obviously with there being no catholic families around the world with just 2 children. One does admire Lawes supporting Rashford by saying his single mother should have been married before having Marcus, so there's no way Lawes is leaving himself open to the charge potential parents should be married and have an IQ above 60
Puja

Post by Puja »

Joe Marchant is on the bench for the Blues this weekend for what is apparently his last game before coming back north. The loan had been extended to the end of the SRA season, but I'm assuming Quins have recalled him for the alleged return to play in August.

Seems really odd to me - Quins had already written off not having him for the rest of this season before COVID intervened, so they don't *need* him and frankly I'm not 100% sure we will get rugby in August. Why not let him stay in NZ (where, apart from anything else, he'll be the only Quins player not at risk of coronavirus) and gain a ridiculous amount of experience and stretch himself trying to break up the Blues backline?

Puja
Backist Monk
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Could it not be that the Blues are happy not to have him any more?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Raggs wrote:Could it not be that the Blues are happy not to have him any more?
I suppose, but why wouldn't they want to keep him? He's basically a free player, who's performed very well for them and is one injury/Rieko Ioane deciding to stop pouting and go back to the wing away from being their starting 13.

Puja
Backist Monk
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Puja wrote:
I suppose, but why wouldn't they want to keep him? He's basically a free player, who's performed very well for them and is one injury/Rieko Ioane deciding to stop pouting and go back to the wing away from being their starting 13.

Puja
They might want to develop their own players?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Raggs wrote:
Puja wrote:

Puja
They might want to develop their own players?
Potentially, although they've got no requirement to play Marchant if that's the case.

Puja
Backist Monk
twitchy

Post by twitchy »

Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Article about Marchant from the times:

Joe Marchant’s Super Rugby gamble pays off as Eddie Jones hails his education from greats Dan Carter and Beauden Barrett
Harlequins centre set for England recall after Super Rugby stint with Carter and Barrett
Marchant says he has relished the “crazy” training sessions with the Blues

Alex Lowe, Deputy Rugby Correspondent
Thursday June 25 2020, 5.00pm, The Times

Joe Marchant’s Super Rugby sabbatical is nearly over. The England centre is set to make his final appearance for the Blues against the Highlanders in Auckland tomorrow morning after being named on the bench, before flying home to rejoin Harlequins and begin preparations for the restart of the Gallagher Premiership season.

Marchant knew he was asking a lot when he walked in to see Paul Gustard, the Harlequins head of rugby, and said he wanted to build a Super Rugby stint into his new contract. Not only would Harlequins have to agree to release one of their best players but Marchant was putting on hold the chance of playing for England.

The 23-year-old outside centre won three caps in the build-up to last year’s World Cup and he would have backed himself to be involved in England’s Six Nations squad but he was determined to follow the path less trodden, by taking himself to the other side of the world to further his education in Super Rugby.

Marchant was fortunate that in Gustard and in Eddie Jones, the England head coach, he had two mentors who bought into his vision and recognised the value of experiencing a different style of rugby.

At the Blues he has been coached by Leon MacDonald and Tana Umaga, two former All Blacks. Marchant has relished the “pretty crazy” training sessions, with Beauden Barrett playing fly half on one team and Dan Carter on the other.

“The best coaches in the world are the best players,” Jones told The Times. “Getting to play alongside two of the foremost tens in the world in Beauden Barrett and Dan Carter, he’ll learn how they operate during a game, how they think about preparing for a game, how they prepare for a game, so that’s a great learning opportunity.

“It shows that he’s determined to be the best that he can be. He’s made a great move to explore what rugby can teach him and he’s shown the right sort of character.
“We’ve seen Graham Henry and Steve Hansen both turn New Zealand from an 80 per cent winning team to a 90 per cent winning team learning about the value particularly of set-piece having coached in Wales.

“Joe will have learnt about the New Zealand approach to rugby — that it’s not just all about possession, keeping the ball. That it’s about exploring transitional periods in the game with urgency and an element of risk.

“He’ll learn about the New Zealand approach to training which is different again from English club rugby in some regards. All in all it’s a great learning experience for him.”

Marchant has made a success of his southern sojourn. He played six games, scoring three tries before the Super Rugby season was halted, playing outside centre and wing.

“Joe has been a popular and outstanding member of the team and we will miss him,” MacDonald said. “He has contributed well on and off the field and we are confident he will return as a more complete footballer for the experience when he returns to Harlequins.”

That, indeed, was the point of the venture. It was how Gustard sold it to the board when Harlequins thought he would miss the second half of the season. As it transpires, Marchant will be available for nine games as Harlequins push for Heineken Champions Cup qualification.

He will spend two weeks in quarantine upon his return home and then start building a new centre partnership with André Esterhuizen, the Springbok. Long term, his goal is to overhaul Manu Tuilagi, Henry Slade and Jonathan Joseph to be England’s outside centre at the 2023 World Cup.

“It was brave from the club and brave for Joe to test himself at this stage of his career, to compete and challenge and test his skills,” Gustard said. “Joe is a special player and potentially a very special player for England and we had to factor that into our mindset.

“He wants to compete for England in the next World Cup cycle, so he has a three-and-a-half-year run-in to establish himself as England’s starting 13.

“The first thing we will see is a massive increase in his confidence. He has now played a faster movement game than we see in the Premiership. The way the Blues want to handle the ball, the way they play a 1-3-3-1 attacking shape, he will be improving his communication and passing skills as well.

“He really felt he could add to the Blues’ defensive make-up. Last season he was the best defensive outside centre in the league, better than Manu (Tuilagi), better than Henry (Slade).

“But he has learnt the ability to defend big men moving quickly, with angles and offloads, and to develop his own skill set in that area.”
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Good to see he can get onto the bench for the Blues :). How many games did he start at 13?
Puja

Post by Puja »

Banquo wrote:Good to see he can get onto the bench for the Blues :). How many games did he start at 13?
About 3, with another couple on the wing. He had the problem that Rieko Ioane has decided he's no longer a wing but a 13, so if the Blues didn't play him there, then they'd lose him to another franchise. Of course they'd prefer him to a player on loan.

Puja
Backist Monk
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Puja wrote:
Banquo wrote:Good to see he can get onto the bench for the Blues :). How many games did he start at 13?
About 3, with another couple on the wing. He had the problem that Rieko Ioane has decided he's no longer a wing but a 13, so if the Blues didn't play him there, then they'd lose him to another franchise. Of course they'd prefer him to a player on loan.

Puja
True, plus unlucky with lockdown. How's he getting home? Thought outbound flights were rationed or summat.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

He has a charity to carry him home.
Digby

Post by Digby »

I thought sweet charity was banned now?
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Only if it’s temperature is too high on arrival or sweat charity, if you prefer.