The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Moderator: OptimisticJock

switchskier

Re: The Glasgow Carpet Burns and Cary Grant Appreciation Thread

Post by switchskier »

Donny osmond wrote:Mat Smith has retired?
Lost motivation it seems.

Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Fair enough and good on him for admitting it to himself. Even at a lower level rugby just isn't as fun if you don't start every week let alone if you train as hard as him and suffer the frustrating injuries he has.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Great news on Nakarawa and Turner
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote:

I'd have lost motivation as well. A 100% player who never took a step back and did very well when he got a chance. Was playing like a dream against Scarlets season before last, some huge tackles then binned when Allan got a red card and needed to bring on a prop after 20mins. Never really had a look in since, binned and shunned by Rennie. One of several, if you weren't "in" you were definitely out and not getting back in.
Smith is a hugely wasted talent, one everyone was really excited about from the U20s. In the current climate, having been binned by Glasgow, Edinburgh with 1001 international back rows and 2 best U20 talents since Smith/Fagerson, not many deals elsewhere for Scottish players , pretty much nowhere to go. Very sad
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

septic 9 wrote:
switchskier wrote:

I'd have lost motivation as well. A 100% player who never took a step back and did very well when he got a chance. Was playing like a dream against Scarlets season before last, some huge tackles then binned when Allan got a red card and needed to bring on a prop after 20mins. Never really had a look in since, binned and shunned by Rennie. One of several, if you weren't "in" you were definitely out and not getting back in.
Smith is a hugely wasted talent, one everyone was really excited about from the U20s. In the current climate, having been binned by Glasgow, Edinburgh with 1001 international back rows and 2 best U20 talents since Smith/Fagerson, not many deals elsewhere for Scottish players , pretty much nowhere to go. Very sad
Interesting to see it put like that. I’d never seen enough of him to know whether he simply didn’t deserve the game time or had the talent but wasn’t able to get his foot in the door.
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Times did a good article on Matt Smith - behind a paywall tho. Lambasted the SRU for not providing enough opportunities for native talent, using quotes from O’Halloran and Gordon Reid, and pretty much saying Rennie felt similar.

It’s not just the lack of a third team, but also not having A teams which hurts the emerging/ never-to-emerge players.

Anyway, good luck to Smith in whatever he ends up doing. Very good player.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

General Zod wrote:Times did a good article on Matt Smith - behind a paywall tho. Lambasted the SRU for not providing enough opportunities for native talent, using quotes from O’Halloran and Gordon Reid, and pretty much saying Rennie felt similar.

It’s not just the lack of a third team, but also not having A teams which hurts the emerging/ never-to-emerge players.

got a link for that?

Bit rich from Rennie, who froze Smith out, recruited Gibbens and Gordon, and for long enough froze Fusaro out. I've no real problem with that recruitment TBH, but Rennie is just criticising himself.

3rd pro team and even an A team come at a cost - not just players but travel and other support. TBH its too easy to say we should have either, and either would be just great, but where does the cash come from or what gets cut? Anyone calling for either needs to put up some clear solutions and not pie in the sky SRU bad nonsense
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

septic 9 wrote:
General Zod wrote:Times did a good article on Matt Smith - behind a paywall tho. Lambasted the SRU for not providing enough opportunities for native talent, using quotes from O’Halloran and Gordon Reid, and pretty much saying Rennie felt similar.

got a link for that?
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scot ... -t9k93dgm0
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

septic 9 wrote:

got a link for that?

Bit rich from Rennie, who froze Smith out, recruited Gibbens and Gordon, and for long enough froze Fusaro out. I've no real problem with that recruitment TBH, but Rennie is just criticising himself.

3rd pro team and even an A team come at a cost - not just players but travel and other support. TBH its too easy to say we should have either, and either would be just great, but where does the cash come from or what gets cut? Anyone calling for either needs to put up some clear solutions and not pie in the sky SRU bad nonsense
Yep, everyone knows the system's not perfect but there are far fewer feasible solutions. I had hoped that the financial position would soon improve enough to bring a third team back onto consideration but I fear Covid has done for that for now.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

General Zod wrote:
septic 9 wrote:

got a link for that?
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/scot ... -t9k93dgm0
thanks.

its a strange article.
The assessment of Smith at 20 matches my own, and others. He seemed to have the lot for an openside. Tackled like a headcase, good jackal, counter ruck, pace, terrific engine, carried like an 8 (he is bigger and broader than the Watsons, Fusaros etc, and a huge workrate. The full monte. We were very excited about Smith.

The rest is silly. We know why we don't have 3 or 4 teams, and no solution offered, yet that is by far the biggest singe reason we lose very good players. Its the one that is also hardest to put right, by just as far.
A teams cost money -its not just having the players to fill a 23, its the back up and travel. The Irish Welsh thing I think got started season before last, we had already gone down the route of preparing for S6. Don't know much about their A league but it seems to be over by the end of Oct so not really giving much game time for fringe players most for the season (and we tend to rest Scotland players who have toured in Sept so more squad players get a chance then).
S6 is supposed to be the step up. Its just an agenda driven anti SRU nonsense to write it off after one season. I've been to several games. There is no question its better than the old premiership IMHO -tbh given its got loads of cherry picked players from the old league concentrated in fewer teams its hardly a surprise. That said I'm sure Reid is right that propping there is not at the level of pro rugby. Not yet anyway. The fitness and conditioning of the S6 players is obviously a step up from the premiership, you'd have to be blind not to see that. One curtailed season.
Defences and again fitness and coaching means it is harder to make a break, and if you do more likely to be caught. Perhaps less exciting than a lower standard would be a better way to view it. I'm sure those few players who think it is a lower standard than the premiership will bugger off back to it next season. We'll see.

Back to Matt Smith. The other thing that can kill a career isn't new either. Coach picks his favourites, excludes others. Rennie no exception
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Rufus McLean signed. U20s star. Could be very good indeed
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

septic 9 wrote:Rufus McLean signed. U20s star. Could be very good indeed
Got a great step on him and has been likened to Graham. I'm guessing that he'll start out on the wing with Seymour as the incumbent fullback but think his long term future could be at 15. Hope he gets done chances.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

switchskier wrote:
septic 9 wrote:Rufus McLean signed. U20s star. Could be very good indeed
Got a great step on him and has been likened to Graham. I'm guessing that he'll start out on the wing with Seymour as the incumbent fullback but think his long term future could be at 15. Hope he gets done chances.
I don't like to make comparisons but if I had to I'd say more Hogg than Graham. He is a talent, will need to fill out a wee bit but a few months with the full squad will do that
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Wilson seems to be in the media a bit more now and the new captain is to be named soon. Ryan Wilson would seem the obvious candidate to carry on but they may want to go younger.

Question is how they approach these two games that don't really have anything riding on them but are against Edinburgh. Arguably it should be a chance for some youngsters but I think we'll see fairly standard teams. It sounds like Gray is training but I don't know about any other newbies. I also don't know if the leaving players will be around for a farewell. Would seem a pity for Gibbins, Jackson and DTH to leave without a final match but also seems a little pointless to play them.
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote: I also don't know if the leaving players will be around for a farewell. Would seem a pity for Gibbins, Jackson and DTH to leave without a final match but also seems a little pointless to play them.
all 3 are out of contract so playing them would mean (training apart) paying contract extensions. Ain't going to happen as the 2 games Glasgow have are TBH meaningless for them.
Don't think Jacko is going far so will be a guest and present a match ball, probably when we can get fans back in, so next season. DTH will definitely be brought back to present the match ball. Don't know about Gibbens. Decent enough player, but just the 2 and a bit seasons, some missed with injury and hardly a club legend
septic 9

Post by septic 9 »

Cameo wrote:Wilson seems to be in the media a bit more now and the new captain is to be named soon. Ryan Wilson would seem the obvious candidate to carry on but they may want to go younger.
thank goodness, some were beginning to wonder if he was there at all. SRU media strategy has been poor. Then again Wilson isn't a Cockerill type rent-a-quote.

he has said a couple of things that made me wonder. Mentioning G Horne as a possible captain. Don't see it myself, but there we go.
Richie Gray calling lineouts. IIRC he didn't when he was here, or at Sale, or at Castres or that much at Toulouse (when he played) and they didn't have an obvious lineout caller much of the time.
I think Cummings has been fitting onto that role well. I think McDonald when he was starting early last season did it well. But mainly I question whether Gray will be a starting lock - I'd have Cummings and Nakawara ahead of him, and if big McDonald plays like he did last season Richie will have his work cut out to get past him as well. And that's even if he stays fit
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

septic 9 wrote:
Cameo wrote: I also don't know if the leaving players will be around for a farewell. Would seem a pity for Gibbins, Jackson and DTH to leave without a final match but also seems a little pointless to play them.
all 3 are out of contract so playing them would mean (training apart) paying contract extensions. Ain't going to happen as the 2 games Glasgow have are TBH meaningless for them.
Don't think Jacko is going far so will be a guest and present a match ball, probably when we can get fans back in, so next season. DTH will definitely be brought back to present the match ball. Don't know about Gibbens. Decent enough player, but just the 2 and a bit seasons, some missed with injury and hardly a club legend
Fair points. I wasn't sure on their contract positions. Decision made then.

I would say that Gibbens, while not a club legend, has made a big impact in his three seasons (not that you really said otherwise). Playing wise, his first was his best but he has also captained the side a lot since then
af73

Post by af73 »

septic 9 wrote:
Cameo wrote:Wilson seems to be in the media a bit more now and the new captain is to be named soon. Ryan Wilson would seem the obvious candidate to carry on but they may want to go younger.
thank goodness, some were beginning to wonder if he was there at all. SRU media strategy has been poor. Then again Wilson isn't a Cockerill type rent-a-quote.

he has said a couple of things that made me wonder. Mentioning G Horne as a possible captain. Don't see it myself, but there we go.
Richie Gray calling lineouts. IIRC he didn't when he was here, or at Sale, or at Castres or that much at Toulouse (when he played) and they didn't have an obvious lineout caller much of the time.
I think Cummings has been fitting onto that role well. I think McDonald when he was starting early last season did it well. But mainly I question whether Gray will be a starting lock - I'd have Cummings and Nakawara ahead of him, and if big McDonald plays like he did last season Richie will have his work cut out to get past him as well. And that's even if he stays fit
It's an odd one. Gray snr was signed perhaps in part to appease and quieten the frustration of Gray jnr (and others) leaving a rapidly diminishing squad.
As you point out it may be that he is 3rd or even 4th pick....if fit.....& much of this was acknowledged at the time of signing.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Does anyone actually have a good picture of how good Gray is though? He is only 30 so in theory Glasgow could get peak Gray who was a very very good player. Have to say when I've seen him the last few times he has not looked the same but maybe a bit of a break (as opposed to an injury one) is just what he needed. On top form, he starts even if we have to move Nakarawa into the backrow (or just rotate a bit)
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

Glasgow seem to be at least thinking of a plan to build two permanent stands and increasing the capacity at Scotstoun to 14,500. The below article takes a negative stance and I'm in no position to judge re traffic etc. but 14,500 seems about perfect. Big enough to be a stretch but small enough to create a decent amount atmosphere even if not full and for sell-outs to be achievable for Edinburgh games, knockouts and, over time, other big games
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Cameo wrote:Glasgow seem to be at least thinking of a plan to build two permanent stands and increasing the capacity at Scotstoun to 14,500. The below article takes a negative stance and I'm in no position to judge re traffic etc. but 14,500 seems about perfect. Big enough to be a stretch but small enough to create a decent amount atmosphere even if not full and for sell-outs to be achievable for Edinburgh games, knockouts and, over time, other big games
What below article?
General Zod

Post by General Zod »

Cheers. I kinda feel sorry for the people that live there, but it’s only about 14 days a year and it has been a sports/ event ground for decades. If they do redevelop it, it would be good to see some sort of permanent structure behind the posts.

I would also like them to find some sort of compromise with the allotment owners. People pour their heart and souls into those wee plots, so finding them new patches and maybe giving them a ST for a year would be a nice gesture. Dunno how many there are.

Hopefully, they’ll have the means to generate decent corporate income. Not great at the moment.
switchskier

Post by switchskier »

Mikey Brown wrote:
septic 9 wrote:
switchskier wrote:

Interesting to see it put like that. I’d never seen enough of him to know whether he simply didn’t deserve the game time or had the talent but wasn’t able to get his foot in the door.
A bit more detail on Matt Smith. Glad that he's away from it given what's in the article, but does suggest that there are some more fairly basic things that can be addressed to stop talent like his from being lost to the game. I know that the SRU have made efforts in this regard in recent years but can always do more.

Also suggests that a bit more nuanced feedback would have helped. Doesn't reflect that well on Rennie or cockers.

https://amp.rugbypass.com/news/id-alway ... ssion=true
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Not certain what to make of these. I thought Du Plessis was supposed to be getting on well and really settled there. That’s Dalziel linking up with the scrum coach in what capacity?