EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Moderator: Puja

Digby

Re: EPS Watch / Player Form Thread

Post by Digby »

‘It was an indefensible act,’ could sum up many moments in his career. One positive is he's been one of the more interesting analysts on the BBC 6N coverage for a while, whether that lasts I don't know but he had a strong start
Mr Mwenda

Post by Mr Mwenda »

Thanks for that. Interesting read.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

One little snippet in the DT irked me today. Steve Diamond was talking about the benefits of having Tuilagi to run over people. That mentality is understandable because smashing into defenders has so often been effective in winning matches. As a principle, though, I deplore it. We are back to Ashton's line of dustbins and players' failure to concentrate on the gaps between them. Even Tuilagi is more of a threat if he runs between defenders rather than directly at them. Somehow (albeit idealism, perhaps) the game has to revert to running skill rather than the fall-out from battering rams.
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Amusingly, they've basically not used Tuilagi so far that I've noticed.
Digby

Post by Digby »

No ability to pass that wide without exploding the error rate
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:No ability to pass that wide without exploding the error rate
and there was me wondering what the wings were going to do....
Timbo

Post by Timbo »

“To explain how good Jack Willis is. He has 2.8 turnovers per 80 minutes this season. The next highest with over 400 minutes are Ben Earl and Francouis Louw with 1.5. Highest in Super Rugby Aotearoa with meaningful minutes was Boshier with 1.5.“
Raggs

Post by Raggs »

Timbo wrote:“To explain how good Jack Willis is. He has 2.8 turnovers per 80 minutes this season. The next highest with over 400 minutes are Ben Earl and Francouis Louw with 1.5. Highest in Super Rugby Aotearoa with meaningful minutes was Boshier with 1.5.“
What makes it even more impressive is it doesn't seem to come at a large expense to the other parts of his game, he still makes numerous tackles and carries.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Can't do much more to be the next cab off the rank, and Eddie has tried to pick him before.
Mikey Brown

Post by Mikey Brown »

Has he played lock at all?
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mikey Brown wrote:Has he played lock at all?
a natural. I'd think a move to prop would follow shortly.
Mellsblue

Post by Mellsblue »

Banquo wrote:
Ah the old Andy Sheridan career plan. Seems a bit late in the day but I suppose there’s no such thing as a job for life these days.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote:
Ah the old Andy Sheridan career plan. Seems a bit late in the day but I suppose there’s no such thing as a job for life these days.
Unless you are education minister.
Oakboy

Post by Oakboy »

Banquo wrote:
Mellsblue wrote:
Banquo wrote: a natural. I'd think a move to prop would follow shortly.
Unless you are education minister.
Or head of the teachers' union.
Beasties

Post by Beasties »

And as he's actually played 8 before that would appear to rule him out of consideration there. Phew.
Cameo

Post by Cameo »

I know it's fashionable but Hartley's criticism of "committee men" seems a bit simplistic and too generalised. I know he isn't meaning them but in most clubs round the country, the committee men (and women) are the people willing to do all the boring work to allow everyone else to have fun. Even at that level, I don't always like the people it attracts but dismiss them for what they do not for not being committed enough or for having an easy life.

I know different considerations apply for well paid committee men at the top but they face tougher decisions and a lot of competing interests (such as Hartley thinking players should be paid much more).
Digby

Post by Digby »

I liked how Hartley ignored things like one of the big names against removing the hit in the scrum was D.Hartley, because at the time it wasn't such a physical issue for him and his club was successful with using the hit. There is though too much money in the administration of the sport at the top levels, you could get similar and even better work from people not getting six figure salaries.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Cameo wrote:I know it's fashionable but Hartley's criticism of "committee men" seems a bit simplistic and too generalised. I know he isn't meaning them but in most clubs round the country, the committee men (and women) are the people willing to do all the boring work to allow everyone else to have fun. Even at that level, I don't always like the people it attracts but dismiss them for what they do not for not being committed enough or for having an easy life.

I know different considerations apply for well paid committee men at the top but they face tougher decisions and a lot of competing interests (such as Hartley thinking players should be paid much more).
Indeed.
Banquo

Post by Banquo »

Digby wrote:I liked how Hartley ignored things like one of the big names against removing the hit in the scrum was D.Hartley, because at the time it wasn't such a physical issue for him and his club was successful with using the hit. There is though too much money in the administration of the sport at the top levels, you could get similar and even better work from people not getting six figure salaries.
also true.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

Last edited by Which Tyler on Fri Aug 21, 2020 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Which Tyler

Post by Which Tyler »

https://www.therugbypaper.co.uk/latest- ... land-fold/
Zach Mercer - has put on 6lb during lockdown in an attempt to force his way into Eddie's plans
Digby

Post by Digby »

Or about 2.7kgs for those hoping not to sound like Moggy
twitchy

Re: Transfer news, fake news, baseless speculation, and various levels of truthiness - Season 2019/20

Post by twitchy »

There is a mail article claiming that reffell is getting an england call up. It seems complete bollocks though, the only quotes are him saying he wants to play for wales.
Scrumhead

Re: Transfer news, fake news, baseless speculation, and various levels of truthiness - Season 2019/20

Post by Scrumhead »

That would be such an Eddie thing to do ... call up Reffell and leave out Willis.

Not only is Reffell less deserving, he also wants to play for Wales, which is quite understandable given he is Welsh.